MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   10.25 inch android headunit installed (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/692318-10-25-inch-android-headunit-installed.html)

LemonSqueezy 02-06-2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by dsenela (Post 7374524)
The lost translations are not really a deal breaker for me, I am still in awe at how much work and effort was invested in making the unit's aesthetics and functions way better than my current OEM, with menus in different languages to boot. I was just hoping there was a quick way we could tweak the unit to finesse some of these minor issues. I too have spent my entire life using the metric system (and English is not my native language either,) it would be nice to have an option to switch between them though.

The password I was referring to is the one on the android unit, not the OEM HU. I knew about Engineering mode, but learned about the dealer menu today, I will try it out to see what's in there, thanks!

@Mikeki7, I just assumed the unit was not rooted, this is sweet!, I will definitely be digging in there to find what is possible. About the 'HI' not changing I believe it could be vehicle specific, my w204 does not have LO/HI settings on the climate controls. Also today in sub-zero morning temps the unit started behaving strangely, randomly getting stuck in boot loops and freezing on some screens, but it is probably just a loose connection, I will check all my connections again when it gets warmer.

I believe the password for mine was just 111111 (six one's)

lay3r3 02-06-2018 10:53 PM

Can you download Waze, then use it by tethering to your phone's hotspot?
Also in one of your initial pics, there was a 3D map... was that part of google map? Google earth 3D mapping?

lay3r3 02-06-2018 10:59 PM

How did you get the Yip Man movie to play? or for any movies to play for that matter...
Umm.. also looks like the screen protector is still on your unit? :-) Nice job, very Chinesey.. :-)

LemonSqueezy 02-07-2018 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by lay3r3 (Post 7375594)
Can you download Waze, then use it by tethering to your phone's hotspot?
Also in one of your initial pics, there was a 3D map... was that part of google map? Google earth 3D mapping?

The map in the initial picture was just stock own nav. There is a Google play store app so you can download anything in the play store if you wanted, including waze. My experience so far is the antenna does not pick up my location very well. So the map is choppy.

Originally Posted by lay3r3 (Post 7375603)
How did you get the Yip Man movie to play? or for any movies to play for that matter...
Umm.. also looks like the screen protector is still on your unit? :-) Nice job, very Chinesey.. :-)

in that picture it was just a YouTube video. You can also attach a flash drive in the usb dongle and watch through the media screen on the unit.

screen protector.. yeah.. kinda forgot it was there haha

bbbbbbb 02-11-2018 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy (Post 7335819)
Excited to share this with everyone. Saw this in another thread and came across this unit. Unit purchased from Chris The Swede, although other sites and vendors do sell this unit, shoutout to Chris because he offered tons of info and support. Glad I purchased from him. He also has YouTube videos on this unit.

I'm still trying to work out a few things like getting mirrorlink and google maps to work properly but so far I'm really satisfied with the result.

As far as I'm concerned, this particular unit works on ntg 4.5 4.7 and 5. Aux cable I routed behind the ac control unit, then under ash tray and center scrolling knob, and into the aux jack in center compartment. Audio is automatically supposed to switch over from own radio to anything being played in android unit but I haven't gotten that auto switch to work yet. Usb cable I have routed into glove compartment.

Here's a picture of unit installed.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...969879687c.jpg

Video in motion/youtube/usb drive. Movies in my usb drive utilize the entire screen, YouTube videos will not.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...260526c4b8.jpg

The best part is that this unit retains oem functionalities! This is primarily the only reason why i purchsed this unit. When using oem mode, the oem doesn't go full screen, the extra space on the right is filled with a stock dummy image. It'd be nice if we could get that right side functional.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8a36c3aa36.jpg

Old unit vs new unit size
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...de37ebcad9.jpg

Did I mention it's also a touchscreen?

:)

Of course, you can buy from Chris Lund (I've seen his youtube videos too), but you can buy directly from the manufacturer and save yourself like $300. All Chris has done is mark up the price.
You can buy this unit from Aliexpress for around $575 to $675 depending on your model. OR you can buy directly from www.carlife-mall.net for around $460 to $580.
Chris Lund's website sells the unit for around $848. All he did was mark the unit up. FYI

bbbbbbb 02-11-2018 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by cocobeex (Post 7335823)
Interesting!!! PM me info!!

And nice 葉問 movie right there!!!

I will also probably install Torque App on it.

THX

WOW!!! VERY SLICK AND AWESOME LOOKING. THE "BROWNISH/GOLDISH" TRIM ON THE RIMS! IT WORKS!!! VERY NICE!!! I'M DROOLING!

bbbbbbb 02-11-2018 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by kajtek1 (Post 7337092)
So that's about $800? Any discount seller?
How hard is installation? I am mechanically-inclined and can follow the manual for cable installation, but software hacking is not my thing.

You can buy the unit at www.carlife-mall.net for around $500 for the unit, $60 for shipping, $20 for paypal charge = $580. Save yourself almost $300!
But you have to wait until after Feb. 25th. It's a holiday over there (China) and they are shutdown until then. They'll accept payments right now, but won't ship the unit until after Feb. 25th.

bbbbbbb 02-11-2018 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeki7 (Post 7373871)
Pretty sure dsenela is talking about the setting in the android unit that asks for a password not the factory engineering mode. Also @dsenela the device is already rooted, so if you know your way around android and/or willing to learn then you can make some nice changes to the unit yourself, especially fixing text mistakes. Dont forget to backup the system, which is super easy since it is already rooted. The HI text is there when the AC is at the highest settings and LO at the lowest, it should change when you use AC but it seems like there is an issue with canbus communication. Climate info shows up fine in my CLS.

Hi Mike,
That's great if the display unit comes rooted already. Do you know what software to use to access the ROM on the display unit? Does the display unit have a USB connection port to connect it up to a computer to access the ROM?
I would like to be able to mod the ROM to change the kmh to mileage. Or do you know how to make the change from kmh to mileage on the unit itself, without changing the code?

LemonSqueezy 02-11-2018 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bbbbbbb (Post 7378675)
Of course, you can buy from Chris Lund (I've seen his youtube videos too), but you can buy directly from the manufacturer and save yourself like $300. All Chris has done is mark up the price.
You can buy this unit from Aliexpress for around $575 to $675 depending on your model. OR you can buy directly from www.carlife-mall.net for around $460 to $580.
Chris Lund's website sells the unit for around $848. All he did was mark the unit up. FYI

the cheapest I could find the product online when i purchased mine was $580. I paid in the realm of ~$650 or so through Chris. For that small markup, I was able to get prompt feedback, product arrived in less than a week, and I would not have been able to install without his videos. The manufacturer does not have any detailed info on install. Small price to pay to support a trusted member on the forum.

the $850 is only if you click on some VAT taxes for specific locations, probably does not apply to most people.

kajtek1 02-11-2018 02:18 PM

Be careful with buying from other countries.
I do it often and when small things form Taiwan come pretty fast and cheap, couple of bigger items proceed with big hassle.
I bought 48" range-oven from China. This is 500 lb item. The price was excelent comparing to those Austrians units you can get in US, but when the ship arrived to US, turn out that beside custom checks, the 9-11 triggered higher security declarations and not only I had to pay several other fees, but had to find a brooker to file them for me, what added nice amount. Still good deal at the end, but not as good as it look initially.
With engine I bought in UK I had no extra cost, but still EPA declarations to fill, when engine was at warehouse for days.

Vladds 02-20-2018 10:48 PM

Say you download and install Waze, then turn off your phone, but have the GPS antenna work. Does waze still work?
In other words, does the GPS antenna make this navigation stand alone, or it's still actually running on your phone, on your data minutes.
I mean i realize that Waze has those interactive features that make it what it is, so maybe then Google maps works without having your phone on?

Is there any voice control, either the original one from the Command, or anything in this unit?

Chris The Swede 02-23-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by bbbbbbb (Post 7378675)

Really?? You even know what you are talking about here before you bash??? Would be great to hear a explanation how its 300 more on my site than others? Did you even bother to read all info? Did you change the setting to display the prices without the Swedish tax for example and so on..Sure you get the same help ans support from China sellers....;)

Chris The Swede 02-23-2018 12:30 PM

Avilly 02-23-2018 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by tresean1 (Post 7344471)
Thank you guy for doing the R&D and going thru the growing pains on this.
I think I will wait until all the kinks are ironed out and the unit/install is perfected.
I'd get anxiety attacks if I tried this and something went wrong.

i was feeling the same way, but I’ve been so excited since I saw this post I decided to buy one from Chris a few minutes ago. I’m going to stand at my window for the next few weeks waiting for the delivery guy!

Chris The Swede 02-23-2018 08:06 PM

Thanx a million for the suport... Will ship on monday...

kajtek1 02-23-2018 10:03 PM

Nice of you Chris to come and chime in.
Talking about support, that topic has 65 replies and I am still confused what the unit can and what can not. I am particularity interested in GPS and possibility to work with aftermarket camera.
You linked new android video, but with no explanation if we can use in our cars? Make it clear it when it works in prelifted and postlifted?
I watch whole video and really admire the guy making the it. He is really, really good, but still reading several pages of comments from last 2 weeks, lot of confusion what unit can do and what can not. The video shows installation for different MB and my unit has different plugs.
Would you mind to add more explanations?

Chris The Swede 02-24-2018 01:40 AM

What you want to know? It works in ALL W212. No matter what OEM unit you have. No RHD bracket though yet.

kajtek1 02-24-2018 10:14 AM

What about GPS and adding cameras? In this topic owners reported that GPS is crappy?

LemonSqueezy 02-24-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vladds (Post 7386330)
Say you download and install Waze, then turn off your phone, but have the GPS antenna work. Does waze still work?
In other words, does the GPS antenna make this navigation stand alone, or it's still actually running on your phone, on your data minutes.
I mean i realize that Waze has those interactive features that make it what it is, so maybe then Google maps works without having your phone on?

Is there any voice control, either the original one from the Command, or anything in this unit?

An internet based navigation like Waze would only work well with an internet connection. You can of course use offline navigation apps or download offline Google maps. I am not having good luck with my antenna though, not sure if it's a placement issue or if there are better antennas i could hook up with.

Voice control is not integrated with anything on the android side.

Vladds 02-24-2018 04:54 PM

But still works on the command side ?

Chris The Swede 02-24-2018 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vladds (Post 7389599)
But still works on the command side ?

Of course..As sais so many times..Nothing is affected on OEM comand features.

kajtek1 02-25-2018 10:04 AM

So Chris are you going to answer our concerns about GPS?

Chris The Swede 02-25-2018 11:36 AM

I have no problems at all with this with mine placed at top of windscreen behind rearview mirror...

dacia 02-27-2018 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by bbbbbbb (Post 7378679)
You can buy the unit at www.carlife-mall.net for around $500 for the unit, $60 for shipping, $20 for paypal charge = $580. Save yourself almost $300!
But you have to wait until after Feb. 25th. It's a holiday over there (China) and they are shutdown until then. They'll accept payments right now, but won't ship the unit until after Feb. 25th.

In the European Union there is a flat tax called VAT (Vale Added Tax). If you live in the Union and purchase something from within the Union you have to pay the tax. If you live outside then you don't.
Chris has prices on his site for both kind of purchases. If you order from outside the Union your current price is US $641 plus shipping of $34.40 for the total of US $675.40.
Compare that to the Chinese price and decide if the support you will get from Chris is worth the extra cost.
If you are patient, can decipher sometimes cryptic Chinese English, can wait for days or weeks for questionable technical support spring for the Chinese version.
If you want prompt support it will cost you money.

HarLam 02-28-2018 10:32 PM

Hi guys,

Just received a unit I bought from Ebay and noticed a few things about the wiring harness.

1. It has a number of extra wires labelled +12V, ACC in, ACC out, Reverse in and IR.
2.The Aux out is also a RCA->USB adapter (not 3.5mm plug)
3. There isn't a cable labelled AB (is this necessary?)
I've attached pictures if someone is able to go over them. I just wanted to make sure this harness would work for my car. I have a 2014 E350 with factory navigation, backup camera.
-was also wondering if I would need to connect the GPS since the car already has the factory GPS (I'm assuming yes since I believe the new GPS is used for the Android part)
-and is the other screw in attachment the Wifi antenna?

-Sorry, I've installed other android headunits before, but they came with a diagram at least. no instructions were included and wanted to see if anyone could give me a few pointers. Thanks in advance.https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a123fa01d7.jpg

This is the harness.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ce93bdec31.jpg

These are the wires in question, 12V, ACC in/out, IR, Reverse in.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9cee6c656a.jpg

USB plug instead of 3.5mm plug (goes to the center console?)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...196c535b9a.jpg

Is this the Wifi antenna?