E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
Originally Posted by Avilly

UPDATE:

finally got my OEM screen and functions to work! Also got audio to work on radio, CDs, etc. I didn’t need an Aux cable or anything. The issue was the big square plug that connects to the head unit. I kept wrestling with it and unplugging and plugging it back in. Finally it settles in just enough to get the functions and screen to work. Again, I didn’t need to plug in an aux cable. My voice commands work, radio works, phone works! Don’t know if anyone else had this same issue. In case some of you are wondering I have a 2014 E350.

The only issue left is getting my iPhone 7 to tether to the screen so I can use Waze or access the Internet on the screen.
How did you tuck everything behind the COMAND unit?
I have the same car and space is extremely limited back there.
Also, did you pull the USB cable for the Android unit into the glove box?
If not where did you put it?
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350
Navi

I have everything working perfectly. EXCEPT GOOGLE MAPS NAVI. I really want this to work as this is one of the main reasons I bought it. I log into Google maps (yes the secret screen does have Google maps selected as there are no other apps downloaded and my hot spot and tether are perfect). It picks up my location flawlessly. Exact location. I select destination it gives me route guidance but the blue dot never turns to an arrow to give me turn by turn directions. Anyone having issues with this? Also is it possible to use the microphone on Google to speak to text? This wouild be clutch! Anyway other than that In ove the thing! Movies you tube it's amazing. People roll up on my car and see a video and trip out haha. Side note I did download waze and try it thru there but it said no gps location found..Google maps picks it up perfect. My command navi still works perfect it' just terribly out dated and super basic. Can anyone help with finessing this thing?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
Why didnt you just email me?? That how I support these installs.
Chris, what’s your email? Can you PM me with it?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:39 PM

2014 Mercedes Benz E350
Originally Posted by Mikeki7
audio will work from the stock head unit, but not audio from the android unit unless you bluetooth stream so you still need the aux cable.
So can I plug a BT dongle into the AUX in the armrest and get Android screen audio that way without having to run an AUX cable through the center console?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:48 PM

2014 Mercedes Benz E350

Originally Posted by dacia
How did you tuck everything behind the COMAND unit?
I have the same car and space is extremely limited back there.
Also, did you pull the USB cable for the Android unit into the glove box?
If not where did you put it?
Thanks.
I couldn’t figure out how to get the head unit back in with all the cabling either. I had to drive to work to day with my head unit sticking out about 2 inches and the vent trim just loosely placed. See pic. It looks embarrassing. all the DIY videos show the head unit just slipping right in. Anyone have suggestions?

I did run the USB cable up and into the glovebox space adjacent to the vents. I still have to removed the glovebox upper lining to pull it thru. There are a few small openings in the upper lining of the glovebox and I can feel it with my finger. I probably won’t get to this for another few weeks due to time.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
On the w204 space is limited too. Not sure if this applies to w212 but what I did was made sure the big square connector was under the command unit. Thats what preventing the command to sit further if it's stuck behind it. Had to use a long wrench (solid metal ruler probably would work better). Get that big square connector tucked under before you push the command in. Look under the command as you are pushing it in. There should be enough space to see the connector and for the ruler or wrench to get in there. Use the ruler to make sure the square connector stays under by pushing down on it.

If you squish this connector behind the command you will have issues as I did. My command screen would intermittently not show up on the android screen. Took me weeks to figure out my issue
The following users liked this post:
EtoileBrilliant (05-26-2023)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
chris@mbsca.com
Old 03-20-2018, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
I started a thread 2 weeks ago in the w204 forum for those who have a w204.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...reen-unit.html
Old 03-20-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350
Originally Posted by JustinJGGroves
I have everything working perfectly. EXCEPT GOOGLE MAPS NAVI. I really want this to work as this is one of the main reasons I bought it. I log into Google maps (yes the secret screen does have Google maps selected as there are no other apps downloaded and my hot spot and tether are perfect). It picks up my location flawlessly. Exact location. I select destination it gives me route guidance but the blue dot never turns to an arrow to give me turn by turn directions. Anyone having issues with this? Also is it possible to use the microphone on Google to speak to text? This wouild be clutch! Anyway other than that In ove the thing! Movies you tube it's amazing. People roll up on my car and see a video and trip out haha. Side note I did download waze and try it thru there but it said no gps location found..Google maps picks it up perfect. My command navi still works perfect it' just terribly out dated and super basic. Can anyone help with finessing this thing?
struggle is real as to why it' not moving yet picking up my location...
Old 03-20-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 MBZ E350
Does the original GPS track your movement?

Last edited by Red-Town; 03-20-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Originally Posted by Red-Town
Does the original GPS track your movement?
OEM GPS will only work and track if you are using the Mercedes OEM navigation. It is completely separate from the Android system that is why the android unit has it's own GPS antenna to use with google maps, waze, igo, or whatever android navigation you decide to use.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E350

I dont see how that will work with your car?? Now same as mine. It must have the AB for can bus.

Hi guys,

Finally was able to get a replacement cable from my seller. I just want to make sure this is the correct cable. it seems to have the AB cables, but I'm not sure where I would connect the actual male AB cable into. I'm assuming I would connect it to either the A or B connector, but does anyone know which for a 2014 E350?

Also,anyone know where I can get the 3.5mm to MMI cable to connect to the center console AUX input?

Sorry for all the questions. TIA.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:57 AM

2014 Mercedes Benz E350
Thanks. Chris.
I just sent you an email with the issues I’m having.

Albert
Old 03-21-2018, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Originally Posted by HarLam

Hi guys,

Finally was able to get a replacement cable from my seller. I just want to make sure this is the correct cable. it seems to have the AB cables, but I'm not sure where I would connect the actual male AB cable into. I'm assuming I would connect it to either the A or B connector, but does anyone know which for a 2014 E350?

Also,anyone know where I can get the 3.5mm to MMI cable to connect to the center console AUX input?

Sorry for all the questions. TIA.
Yours didn't come with one?

You can get them on Amazon. Although the OEM one is female 3.5mm. You can find OEM on ebay with female 3.5mm jack but are more expensive.

LOOYUAN 3.5mm AUX media Interface Adapter Cable For Mercedes Benz
Amazon Amazon

I actually had this one below before I bought the android head unit and this works well with it. It's bluetooth. You still need to set the audio on the android to aux in the hidden menu.

Eximtrade Mercedes Media Inerface MMI to Bluetooth CSR Chipset USB Flash Charger MP3 Music Cable for Mercedes Benz
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-21-2018, 10:56 AM

2014 E350
Originally Posted by aznmode
Yours didn't come with one?

You can get them on Amazon. Although the OEM one is female 3.5mm. You can find OEM on ebay with female 3.5mm jack but are more expensive.

LOOYUAN 3.5mm AUX media Interface Adapter Cable For Mercedes Benz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014CWM7H0..._R-FSAbHVXYE6H

I actually had this one below before I bought the android head unit and this works well with it. It's bluetooth. You still need to set the audio on the android to aux in the hidden menu.

Eximtrade Mercedes Media Inerface MMI to Bluetooth CSR Chipset USB Flash Charger MP3 Music Cable for Mercedes Benz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018CR99LS..._PWFSAbDZ2Q7T1
Thanks, I did end up getting one on Amazon so should have it in a few days. I'm thinking of making a felt false bottom to cover the cable and then add a wireless charger underneath since there's an extra usb connector in the center console.

Tried to mess with the unit before I placed it in the car and downloaded King Root. Any concerns about the privacy issues? It says it can log all of the key inputs, including credit card info, etc., except passwords. I've usually rooted through recovery before so haven't used King Root. I'm not even sure how to get into Recovery on these units. Thx.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E350 Sport
Will this work if I have a video interface already installed??
Old 03-21-2018, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Yes of course. A bit tighter in the back though.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:13 PM

E350 Sport
Yes of course. A bit tighter in the back though.
Ok. Only reason I ask is because I have a front camera installed with the video interface. And an Apple TV hooked up to it.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:26 PM

2016 MBZ E350
Originally Posted by Heisenberg5070
Ok. Only reason I ask is because I have a front camera installed with the video interface. And an Apple TV hooked up to it.
How is the apple tv working with the comand unit? My modding never ends.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:28 PM

E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Red-Town
How is the apple tv working with the comand unit? My modding never ends.
I purchased a video interface from eBay. Purchased an Apple tv3 and also got a modded power supply for it so that it works off of usb power. I can send you all the details later on.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 PM

2016 MBZ E350
Originally Posted by Heisenberg5070
I purchased a video interface from eBay. Purchased an Apple tv3 and also got a modded power supply for it so that it works off of usb power. I can send you all the details later on.
Thanks mate, I appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
Chris, any news about the RHD frame for the W212?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Its in the plan stage only..They are waiting delivery of OEM frames ans then they start the design process and all. 1-2 months
Old 03-24-2018, 04:39 PM

2014 E350
Originally Posted by dsenela
The lost translations are not really a deal breaker for me, I am still in awe at how much work and effort was invested in making the unit's aesthetics and functions way better than my current OEM, with menus in different languages to boot. I was just hoping there was a quick way we could tweak the unit to finesse some of these minor issues. I too have spent my entire life using the metric system (and English is not my native language either,) it would be nice to have an option to switch between them though.

The password I was referring to is the one on the android unit, not the OEM HU. I knew about Engineering mode, but learned about the dealer menu today, I will try it out to see what's in there, thanks!

@Mikeki7, I just assumed the unit was not rooted, this is sweet!, I will definitely be digging in there to find what is possible. About the 'HI' not changing I believe it could be vehicle specific, my w204 does not have LO/HI settings on the climate controls. Also today in sub-zero morning temps the unit started behaving strangely, randomly getting stuck in boot loops and freezing on some screens, but it is probably just a loose connection, I will check all my connections again when it gets warmer.
The code for access to some of the hidden menus is 111111 for the "factory settings" menu.

From there, you will have access to the regular android settings menu as well as a few other features. there is a selection icon for MBZ model, c,e, etc although I found it does not make a difference in the interface. You can also turn on Bluetooth on the android side from there as well. To unlock the developer options, you have to go and tap on build number (if i recall correctly) about 6-7 times, and you get access to things like USB debugging and such. I haven't had time yet, but I will try to use a usb-usb cable to see if I can get ADB access.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:49 PM

2014 Mercedes Benz E350
After 4 bloody knuckles, two weeks, and an angry wife, I still cannot get head unit to drop back into its OEM position. I’ve been wrestling with the cables for two weeks now for a few hours a day and it won’t sit into the slot fully.

I also tried drop the USB cable into the glove box but had a dammed time doing that also so the USB cable is not resting behind the dash trim until I figure out how to get it into the glove box.

On a a positive note, the screen I ordered from Chris didn’t come with the correct aux cable harness, but turns out I didn’t need it. You don’t have to plug the white and white cables like in the video. I just dropped the 3.5mm down into the passenger foot well and tucked it under the edge of the trim. Then ran it along to the armrest. Plugged it into the aux plug and I get full sound my android side and OEM side. YouTube, web videos etc. All good!

Anyone able to offer any tips on the head unit issue? It’s really pissing me off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed