E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by deepthought66
Have you tried using a ground loop noise isolator? Amazon has quite a few for like $10 or so.
I will try. But the sound isn't the same as ground noise or buzzing (humming) noise from let's say installing a car stereo amplifier.

Maybe I will try these ferrite ring core's first as I have several at home.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E5E5IY4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01E5E5IY4&pd_rd_wg=4lNs7&pd_rd_r=6MH660ZYJHY1HAGWBRMZ&pd_rd_w=aOyfs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E5E5IY4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01E5E5IY4&pd_rd_wg=4lNs7&pd_rd_r=6MH660ZYJHY1HAGWBRMZ&pd_rd_w=aOyfs

Last edited by aznmode; 03-26-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
Yup. The ECO off + VIM mod does not fit back there in the W212. When the COMAND unit is out, I tried connecting everything in serial, and the solution works. But there is no way it all fits back there. In cars other than the W212, it might, but on ours - there's just no way.

Now, I absolutely love the ECO-off feature, and Vlad (the guy who sold me the original ECO off + VIM mod on eBay) has created an OBD based ECO-off mod, which I just bought. Check it out here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-ca...72.m2749.l2649 Re. auto-lock, my car does all of that - close windows, sunroof, doors incl. trunk - when I press and hold the lock button on the key fob. So while I'll miss the one-click feature, the press and hold isnt that bad IMO. Finally, re. VIM - well, the Android screen has no restrictions...so that works as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Now that's a bummer. Of course I could also push and hold the key fob button to close everything but it is just easier to push it once and then just walk away and everything closes automatically.
I think this setting can be adjusted using Xentry, the same with the ECO off/on function and the VIM but we might need on-line coding access or have a, very, friendly dealer to do it.
The dealer I occasionally go to doesn't want to do it because I don't have them service my cars, I do most maintenance myself.
That OBD plug has only one function and it's much more expensive than the harness we got earlier.
I also want to have the seat belt chime disabled and that would be a different plug for another 100 bucks.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by mbdr
this radios are junk, why are people spending all this time on something that will not even last next 12 motnh
Have you even read the thread?
It's not a "radio", it's just an Android screen.

You are a miserable negative p***k and have been reported to the mods for banning.

Last edited by dacia; 03-26-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E350
Hi guys,

So I tried again today for about an hour removing and shoving the quad connector into the back of the Comand unit multiple times, pushing it in as hard as I could, still no OEM screen showing up. I rechecked the smaller green cable coming into the screen and my other connections multiple times also without any luck. It's been frustrating getting this up and running. Thanks for all the suggestions, but it's not cooperating. I have a 2014, so do not need to solder the 12V power wire, as there isn't an adapter for the small green connector. Chris, I didn't buy the unit from you, but appreciate any of your help. I'm not sure what else to try.

On another note, I am going to pick up a conference usb microphone to see if that works for voice commands. Too bad Android 5.1.1 does not support Google now, but most add-on keyboards, like Swype, do include a mic/audio button. Most of these Android units do have a built-in mic, but they're generally not good quality. As an aside, this unit does have built in bluetooth 4.0 and I tried to connect it to the car bluetooth, although I get a message that authentication failed or something on the center dash screen near the speedometer. Not sure if this is because there was a prompt on the OEM screen to accept the connection since my OEM screen is not showing up. I have a feeling it may work and we may not need to mess with the 3.5mm or AUX connection. When I had the original screen connected, there was a setting to select bluetooth audio instead of the MMI cable, and generally these Android units are like an Android cellphone, so I don't know why it would not work. Then select bluetooth instead of AUX in the special menu? Not there yet, since I can't get the basic screen to show up.

Thanks for anyone reading through my frustration.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350
Originally Posted by HarLam
Hi guys,

So I tried again today for about an hour removing and shoving the quad connector into the back of the Comand unit multiple times, pushing it in as hard as I could, still no OEM screen showing up. I rechecked the smaller green cable coming into the screen and my other connections multiple times also without any luck. It's been frustrating getting this up and running. Thanks for all the suggestions, but it's not cooperating. I have a 2014, so do not need to solder the 12V power wire, as there isn't an adapter for the small green connector. Chris, I didn't buy the unit from you, but appreciate any of your help. I'm not sure what else to try.

On another note, I am going to pick up a conference usb microphone to see if that works for voice commands. Too bad Android 5.1.1 does not support Google now, but most add-on keyboards, like Swype, do include a mic/audio button. Most of these Android units do have a built-in mic, but they're generally not good quality. As an aside, this unit does have built in bluetooth 4.0 and I tried to connect it to the car bluetooth, although I get a message that authentication failed or something on the center dash screen near the speedometer. Not sure if this is because there was a prompt on the OEM screen to accept the connection since my OEM screen is not showing up. I have a feeling it may work and we may not need to mess with the 3.5mm or AUX connection. When I had the original screen connected, there was a setting to select bluetooth audio instead of the MMI cable, and generally these Android units are like an Android cellphone, so I don't know why it would not work. Then select bluetooth instead of AUX in the special menu? Not there yet, since I can't get the basic screen to show up.

Mine is a 2014 also so I feel your pain. The cables that connect to the android screen, are you they “clicked” when you inserted them? This ensures thy engage the contacts. On the quad connector, you mentioned you tried “removing and shoving” it back in a few times, once I finally got mine to settle in correctly I literally couldn’t pull it back out. I tried like hell but it was beyond snug. I also tried for a few hours, keep trying...I promise you it will work and you will feel like you just built the Eiffel Tower in one day!
Old 03-27-2018, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
I tried the built in mic with waze. Have to speak a little loud and it picks up what I'm saying 80% of the time even while driving. So I may just return my external mic.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Hi guys,

​​​​​​
Don't you have to create a pass code on the command and confirm it on the android device? At least that how it works when connecting your phone to command.

If so, maybe use this app so you can auto fill the pass code on the android unit when it tries to connect with the command Bluetooth.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brachcon.btautopair
Old 03-27-2018, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by mbdr
this radios are junk, why are people spending all this time on something that will not even last next 12 motnh
Yeah you really know what you are talking about here and what they want out a unit. Mercedes dont offer anything near like this so just give up your silly coments. They dont ad anything to this thread.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Don't feed the troll guys.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
For some unknown reason mic is disabled for google maps outside of China. Wich is very strange. No passcode needed for BT.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by dacia
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Now that's a bummer. Of course I could also push and hold the key fob button to close everything but it is just easier to push it once and then just walk away and everything closes automatically.
I think this setting can be adjusted using Xentry, the same with the ECO off/on function and the VIM but we might need on-line coding access or have a, very, friendly dealer to do it.
The dealer I occasionally go to doesn't want to do it because I don't have them service my cars, I do most maintenance myself.
That OBD plug has only one function and it's much more expensive than the harness we got earlier.
I also want to have the seat belt chime disabled and that would be a different plug for another 100 bucks.
The OBD solution apparently doesn't need to stay plugged in. Attach it, follow the instructions (on the video in the eBay listing) and it enabled the last enabled mode (ECO on or ECO off). When the process is complete, you unplug it and keep it somewhere safe ...in case you want to reverse the process. I should have mine in a few days; I'll install it and post feedback here.

As a side note, I wouldn't buy a solution that needs to stay plugged in because I have a TMobile SyncUp drive plugged-in in my OBD port for WiFi. 😁
Old 03-27-2018, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300

The OBD solution apparently doesn't need to stay plugged in. Attach it, follow the instructions (on the video in the eBay listing) and it enabled the last enabled mode (ECO on or ECO off). When the process is complete, you unplug it and keep it somewhere safe ...in case you want to reverse the process. I should have mine in a few days; I'll install it and post feedback here.

As a side note, I wouldn't buy a solution that needs to stay plugged in because I have a TMobile SyncUp drive plugged-in in my OBD port for WiFi. 😁
I just looked up syncUP. Geeze those data rates though. Will just stick with my 10gb free Hotspot and my ob2 reader. Lol.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350

How do you like he SyncUp from T-Mobile? I thought about it last year but it seems too pricey for my liking.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
For some unknown reason mic is disabled for google maps outside of China. Wich is very strange. No passcode needed for BT.
Chris. I tried it on google maps and play store and yup, pressing the mic button does nothing. Until I re-installed google app. I had it before but removed it so I never knew this was what enabled the mic to work on those other apps. Also mic button works now on swiftkey keyboard. Waze doesn't need it however.
The following users liked this post:
Coldfact (04-15-2019)
Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 PM

Yeah, I know how it works, thanks, I have checked it out already.
There is one now on e-bay for US$99 plus shipping to disable the seat belt warning chime, it works the same way as the ECO on/off plug through the OBD port.

What is the purpose of that TMobile SyncUp drive?
You can use your mobile phone as a portable hot-spot when you are in the car so what's the point of having another one?
Thanks.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
This means you drive without seat belt?????????????
Old 03-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350
Google Mic

so how do you unlock the Mic for Google maps?
Old 03-28-2018, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by dacia
Yeah, I know how it works, thanks, I have checked it out already.
There is one now on e-bay for US$99 plus shipping to disable the seat belt warning chime, it works the same way as the ECO on/off plug through the OBD port.

What is the purpose of that TMobile SyncUp drive?
You can use your mobile phone as a portable hot-spot when you are in the car so what's the point of having another one?
Thanks.
Re. SyncUp Drive - Its true that I can use my phone as a hotspot, and that I really dont need a second device. My reasons for getting the SyncUp Drive are - (a) The WiFi hotspot turns on automatically any time I start the car up; so the screen + kids devices have connectivity automatically vs. having to turn on hotspot every single time (b) I get real-time car location and disturbance alerts, recall notices, car performance data (MPG, etc.), and more, and finally (c) thanks to my corporate plan, the SyncUp drive costs me $10 per month (includes 5GB of data). All said, some folks may still consider this excessive.....but isnt a $700 screen excessive too? LOL
Old 03-28-2018, 04:37 PM

Hi guys,

Did you finally get your OEM screen to display? If not, then I have two theories - (a) user error. This is the dumber one of my two theories, and apologies in advance if I offend you in any way....but is it possible that you may have accidentally pressed the "ON" button at the center of the COMAND unit? Which as you know turns off the OEM display? If pressed, then the OEM display will not show on your Android screen. It may even be worth it to reset the COMAND using the OEM Engineering menu. (b) you have a bad LVDS cable. In one of your posts you mention that your OEM screen works when reconnected. So if I am right, the video feed to the OEM screen comes via that blue round connector. The LVDS cable connects to that blue round connector....and it also has the USB port (that you pull into your glove box or whatever). If the video works all the way to the OEM blue round connector...then the LVDS cable/connector that you got with your Android screen is the likely culprit. Thoughts?
Old 03-28-2018, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by JustinJGGroves
so how do you unlock the Mic for Google maps?
Another member wrote: For the built in mic to work on google maps, play store, or any app where you have the mic icon (not needed for Waze), you will need to install the google app. This also will make the voice button work on swiftkey keyboard.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:46 PM

2012 E350
Phone blue tooth Android/ DVD

Ok so still trying to figure out how to activate the Mic for Google maps IE navi. So the new android unit doesn't have a read text like the command? Urgh would think it would...
Old 03-28-2018, 04:49 PM

2012 E350
DVD

Thanks in advance..
So I was screwing around to see if a blue ray DVD wouuld work and it does. Lol but is there a way around watching it thru the unit and not the command? Cause this screen is so cut off with the dummy split.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:52 PM

2012 E350
Another member wrote: For the built in mic to work on google maps, play store, or any app where you have the mic icon (not needed for Waze), you will need to install the google app. This also will make the voice button work on swiftkey keyboard.
awesome will try
Old 03-28-2018, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Let me know how it goes.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:18 PM

2012 E350
Installing Google app

Let me know how it goes.
worked. Once you install the Google app it automatically installs the audio speaker Mic looking app. 🙌🙌🙌

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed