E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
mph is the last thing they work on now before release...They have a AMG version now to 360 kmh thanx to me..

If you are in the UK you pay the EU tax on the site.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w212
Originally Posted by deepthought66
A couple more adds:
- Newer version of Android so we can install Android Auto
- Build in Carplay dongle hardware into the screen
- Ability to switch songs etc. using steering wheel controls within Carplay / Android Auto (screen can connect to COMAND via BT to do this. On this note, ensure that BT starts up ASAP on system boot. Now it takes at least 2-3 minutes).
- Ability to edit some of the text (e.g.: Lamplet, Handbrake Pull Up, km/h)
- Ability to see what's playing right now (within an audio app). Perhaps provide this information at the bottom of the screen....where AC information is displayed today? Or an option to pick between 'what's playing' and 'AC' in that area?
- Broadcast ID3 tags / music info to COMAND. Even 3-4 year old smartphones can send ID3 tags (song, artist, album info) to COMAND over BT. With this screen I only see "Audio Streaming" showing on my center console (and in the stock screen via FM/AM)
- Ability to turn-off automatic audio source switching. In its current form its more of a pain than a convenience.
- Make GPS more reliable. Google Maps SUCKS on this screen.
- Change whatever settings on the OS to ensure that the screen recognizes that we are in the country that the screen is currently being used in (for example - Google searches take me to Google.hk. I have also encountered night mode being turned on in Google Maps....in broad daylight, ugh!)
- Google Assistant!!!
- Finally (for now) - is there a way to create a "premium" version of this screen? With internals from this decade? The exterior of this screen is top-class. How about putting a snapdragon processor, additional memory, newer version of Android, etc. on the insides? Charge more for the "upgraded" SKU. Folks are already dropping over $600 for a screen that has the internals from a tablet made in 2012. I'm sure they wont mind paying a little more for something from 2017/18.

I fully agree there are tons of bug fixes (yes they are bugs not pending improvements) to be addressed but I'm afraid this is not gonna happen since their business model is to sell HW nothing else.
"Make GPS more reliable. Google Maps SUCKS on this screen." This is totally unacceptable for this kind of device i.e. that GPS does not work properly.
Does anyone know if the will use the same connectors in the upcoming device ?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
What are people using to connect these to the internet? Is everyone doing a hotspot from their phones, or is anyone using MIFI routers. If using a MIFI, what type and does it auto power on / off?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
Chris, does the new version come with a SIM slot that can be used outside of China?
If so I can just pop in a cheap, data only SIM card and have fast Internet access without the need to tether my phone.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Not yet. Still hot spot used.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G63, 360CS, CLK63 BS, 997.2TT, 328D
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
Not yet. Still hot spot used.
Chris,
if you get it in before you ship my steering wheel i just ordered let me know i will send over the money and ship them all together.

Justin
Old 06-27-2018, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Oh hard for me to keep track of that....Please email about it..
Old 06-27-2018, 04:50 AM

G63, 360CS, CLK63 BS, 997.2TT, 328D
Ok not a problem what’s the eta till you start shipping the new one?
justin
Old 06-28-2018, 01:18 AM

2010 E550 Coupe
I am having and issue when the storage on my device. There are 3 storage partitions it seems: A 1GB partition labeled internal storage, a 12GB partition labeled phone storage and a SD partition that is 8GB. When installing apps from the Google Play Store, they are trying to install to the Internal Storage partition which does not have any free space. Is there way to get the device to install apps to the phone storage partition instead?
Old 07-01-2018, 05:26 AM

e-coupe w207
Hi all,

For those of you who are having issues with GPS fix and date/hour out of sync, this is how I solved the problem or at least improved the annoying situation. Both are closely related in google play services so you have to manage it somehow external.
This is how I did it: I've uninstalled updates of chrome browser and google maps (factory pattern / android settings / storage / apps). After that, with the first occasion when the date was out of sync (in my case after first unit restart) I've opened immediately chrome browser wich asked me to update time/date. When I pressed "update time/date" it triggered the time /date android settings and from there I've selected "update automatic from network" (not from GPS and not manual, because none of it worked correctly after restart). Now​​​​​ I get GPS fix in max 1-2minutes after each restart and time is in sync with hot-spot instantly. Worth to mention that the GPS antenna is stuffed somewhere in the dashboard so in my opinion the GPS issue is more likely a software not a hardware one, and the position of the antena could just improve the quality of signal. The real problem is that the android system is somehow crippled and play services are not triggering corectly GPS processes.
​​​​​​At the end you can update gmaps and chrome. I didn’t bother because I don't use any of it and disabling auto update in play store I've managed to save 300+MB of Internal storage for waze and Spotify (where I'm having other problems that are consuming my brain right now).
​​​​
BTW, if anybody succeeded to correct the annoying spelling mistakes, I kindly ask him to share the solution - but I'm afraid that is not in the android part of the display (at least the beautiful "pay attention at round" certainly isn't)
Thanks

​​​​​
​​

Last edited by profir; 07-01-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:11 AM

e-coupe w207
One more tip:
For hot-spot I've used an old galaxy a3 (first one),I've installed from play store Automate and I've created 2 "flows" - is quite easy and intuitive.
1st: when the phone is pluged to power adapter (connected to the socket inside the glove box and the engine is turned on - obviously) - turn off airplane mode, turn on hot-spot and activate flow 2.
2nd: when the phone is disconnected from power (turning off the engine) - turn off hot-spot, turn on the airplane mode and activate flow 1.
The phone battery consumption per night with these settings is 2-3% and it will be recharged in 5-10mins. In my experience data consumption for 2 hours of waze+Spotify per day is somewhere at 2GB monthly.
So now I have a cheap solution for hot-spot and is working flawlessly from two weeks now.

Guys, please keep this thread alive and share your tips and tweaks for this unit. Together we can diminish the frustration of spending +600USD for a semi retarded device.

Last edited by profir; 07-01-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e350
I am waiting on the new unit, but I have already figured out what to use as a hotspot. I am on Tmobile, and have two phones, as well as an iPad. My iPad has unlimited data for $20 per month. However, my iPad also has unlimited 3g data for hotspot. Considering I’m not doing anything other than streaming podcasts and some music, as well as running Waze, I don’t need LTE. I carry the iPad with me everywhere anyway, so it’s no big deal to keep hotspot running. Thus, I have 4G for surfing the web and business use on the iPad, and 3G for the car at all times. All of this for $20 per month which is paid for by my company. Just thought I’d share as a possibility for others.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:43 PM

2010 E550
Old 07-02-2018, 12:45 PM

2010 E550
So, are you unable to give us the slightest idea when we can purchase? Weeks..months??
Old 07-08-2018, 09:26 AM

e350
Originally Posted by Nicolas Farinas
So, are you unable to give us the slightest idea when we can purchase? Weeks..months??
I’m in software, and I can tell you that a release is hard to judge. Putting a definitive release date on any project to the public is product suicide. You can make it through alpha, be buttoning up beta, and you find a major bug that could require nearly a full rewrite. It’s better to be patient and have a solid unit come out than to hurry the process and get something you regret installing in your car.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by huewish

I’m in software, and I can tell you that a release is hard to judge. Putting a definitive release date on any project to the public is product suicide. You can make it through alpha, be buttoning up beta, and you find a major bug that could require nearly a full rewrite. It’s better to be patient and have a solid unit come out than to hurry the process and get something you regret installing in your car.
The first one was far from solid. I hardly think a Chinese aftermarket products company places a high priority on releasing quality products. To wit- if they had just consulted with one person who was fluent in English, they could have ironed out simple spelling and grammar errors, but that was too much to ask apparently.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by ItchyTasty
The first one was far from solid. I hardly think a Chinese aftermarket products company places a high priority on releasing quality products. To wit- if they had just consulted with one person who was fluent in English, they could have ironed out simple spelling and grammar errors, but that was too much to ask apparently.
Oh you know so little on how this works... They made this unit for the Chinese market. Of course they dont care about spelling.. I have different guys all over the world helping to do translations in different languages in just a file and sometimes its hard to translate to corect term from just a list of words. So we try our best.

I get a sample to test this week. IM the one fighting for the best unit. NOT the Chinese. And its HARD to get them to do it all.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:12 AM

e350
Just an FYI here, but writing code has nothing to do with spelling or grammar. It has to do with whether or not the unit functions as a whole. If you read the thread, you would see that Chris is trying to get the functionality we are requesting in the release. If you are that opposed to the spelling and grammar errors (which irritate me when English is actually someone's first language only), then how about not worrying when it comes to purchasing one of these units. Or, better yet, get Apple to develop one and pony up $10,000 for it.

Also, never buy first gen anything. Wait for the second release if you want something decent. You're a lab rat when you buy first gen. They get all the feedback from you bring pissed off, and then they make something reasonable the second time around.

Last edited by huewish; 07-09-2018 at 07:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris The Swede (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by huewish
Just an FYI here, but writing code has nothing to do with spelling or grammar. It has to do with whether or not the unit functions as a whole. If you read the thread, you would see that Chris is trying to get the functionality we are requesting in the release. If you are that opposed to the spelling and grammar errors (which irritate me when English is actually someone's first language only), then how about not worrying when it comes to purchasing one of these units. Or, better yet, get Apple to develop one and pony up $10,000 for it.

Also, never buy first gen anything. Wait for the second release if you want something decent. You're a lab rat when you buy first gen. They get all the feedback from you bring pissed off, and then they make something reasonable the second time around.
Or how about I'm entitled to my opinion of a $600 product just as you are?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
Or how about I'm entitled to my opinion of a $600 product just as you are?
Your comment sounds more like a complaint than an informed opinion however as you don't actually own the product you have no reason to complain about.
If you think Ver 1 was sub-par just wait for Ver 2.
That's what I am doing and I for one am glad that Chris is pushing them to improve the product so that we could have a better owner / user experience.
The following users liked this post:
huewish (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
I have it in hand now..Will test it..
Old 07-10-2018, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
Looks like there is an android 7 version out. Is this the one you have now Chris? Nevermind my question. Looks like you did mention in an earlier post the new one is android 7.1. My apologies. Haven't been keeping up in this thread.

https://youtu.be/ILqaEc-dSSI

Last edited by aznmode; 07-10-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
I have it in hand now..Will test it..
Chris can you test if split mode is available? TIA
Old 07-10-2018, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Split mode?
Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350

Finaly mph and farenheit..I finaly made them do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed