E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by Sly_North
I already posted that link 2 pages ago.
****...lol sorry I'm getting very confused as there are so many different places to purchase and I'd like to get one from somewhere that work as I hate to order one that I find by myself and have it be old version
Old 08-03-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2011 W212
Originally Posted by Nicolas Farinas
****...lol sorry I'm getting very confused as there are so many different places to purchase and I'd like to get one from somewhere that work as I hate to order one that I find by myself and have it be old version
I got mine from Chris at CKM and am glad that I did because I needed quite a bit of post install help getting bugs worked out.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC X253
Originally Posted by Skeechan
I have a V2 and after putting it face up (tape down behind the the screen under the dash, I don't have delays. [...]
Interesting! So when you switch on the tablet you get a GPS lock in what? A few seconds?
So from the time the car starts[...]
[...] sticking the antenna down and making sure the wires were out of the way, I have had no problems at all with GPS.[...]

Confirmed that it makes quite some difference!
Before I had the antenna + its whole 1m cable rolled and pushed/compressed inside the screen socle; GPS lock would take several minutes, easily >5mn.
Now the GPS antenna cable is pushed down into the central console (plus I did the same for the other antennas); I haven't timed it precisely, yet I'd say the GPS lock took maybe 30s to 45s. That's much more acceptable; not as good as my cellphone, yet I can leave with that. Thx a lot for the cable management/clean-up tips!

Now the only software improvement I'd love to get is the music library management: all folders are put together in a single list, I don't see a way to choose to play only one folder (genre or artist or album). Basically the interface is so simple it's just listing all existing mp3. And it seems the only way to order stuff around is to name all folders ARTIST_ALBUM (and having sub-folders is pointless, they'll show up at the root of the library).
Old 08-03-2018, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 c300
The added instructions I received from Chris fixed my comand dial and AUX auto switching is now partially working. Oddly, it will switch from comand audio to AUX but takes about 20 seconds to do it. It will not back to comand. New problem cropped up today. When parked the unit will go to sleep and then is supposed to wake when the ignition is on but mine occasionally won't. I have to unplug the wide connector and actually re-boot. It has happened a few times so far. I did not see any physical buttons like a tablet or phone has to try and force it awake but when asleep touch doesn't wake it. It is like it didn't pick up the ignition turning on. Still some quirks, but Waze did not crash on my 30 minute commute this morning which is a good sign.

Chris is troubleshooting my odd AUX problem a bit more but that is it for my major issues. Now I am working on finding a way to get my unit to automatically connect to my iPhone. With my iPhone 8, I have to open the hotspot window before the screen will connect so this is manual every time I get into the car. Android phones are probably automatic but I am hunting a work around.
Do you mean the entire screen is off or just the command side isn't showing on the screen?

On the V1 there is a reset hole (top hole) on the left side of the screen to hard reset the screen. There's another hole 2 inches below it and that is the microphone. I assume the V2 has the same reset hole (top hole).

If it's just the command not showing on the screen then try holding the command "On' button for about 10 seconds to reboot the command.

Question on the audio switching. Once it auto switch, manually switch it back to command audio. Then open up youtube or music app and can you tell me if it will auto switch to AUX the 2nd time. I found on my v1 it will only auto switch once. Just wanna make sure this new unit do not have the same issue. TIA!

Last edited by aznmode; 08-03-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC X253
Originally Posted by aznmode
Question on the audio switching. Once it auto switch, manually switch it back to command audio. Then open up youtube or music app and can you tell me if it will auto switch to AUX the 2nd time. I found on my v1 it will only auto switch once. Just wanna make sure this new unit do not have the same issue. TIA!
It's the same on my v2 unit: if I switch back to my Audio20's medias or GPS or radio, I then have to manually select the UBS/AUX input. Not a deal breaker for me, as my plan was to use only the table 99% of the time.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 c300
It's the same on my v2 unit: if I switch back to my Audio20's medias or GPS or radio, I then have to manually select the UBS/AUX input. Not a deal breaker for me, as my plan was to use only the table 99% of the time.
Thanks. Oh well. Atleast the new V2 seems to be running better and has so many options in the setting. Will have to wait for more reviews before I upgrade though.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:52 AM

2011 W212
Do you mean the entire screen is off or just the command side isn't showing on the screen?nd.

¥

Blank screen = android is not waking from its sleep mode, but today I did not have the problem. Yesterday I had my A-B cable set up incorrectly and fixed it. Today, post-fix, the unit was flawless* and all kinds of awesome. Comand dial works great, backup camera works great, GPS was very fast...

My unit will not auto switch back to comand, but will auto switch to Android, taking about 20 seconds to do it. Now I am finding myself never using comand so really, autoswitch is becoming irrelevant to me. The only comand thing I use is backup camera and that works great, even before the android is fully booted (from a cold start). My unit will auto switch more than once, it just takes 20 seconds each time so I just do it manually the rare few times I have done it. If I am in comand anyway, the audio menu is right there so I switch to AUX then tap the screen back to Android.

* Flawless as can be expected...I had the youtube app crash twice in a row and on the third click worked fine for over an hour. I actually have worse Android problems with my Samsung S8 handset. LIke today, I had to delete and reinstall Facebook on my Galaxy S8 as it suddenly refused to start without immediately crashing. The V2 itself, no problems at all today (after applying Chris' tweaks and fixes).

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-04-2018 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:05 AM

2011 W212
Thanks. Oh well. Atleast the new V2 seems to be running better and has so many options in the setting. Will have to wait for more reviews before I upgrade though.
After all the help from Chris, my V2 unit is running much better. I did have Youtube crash twice in a row and then no problems with Youtube for a good hour on my long commute in traffic, but Waze worked fine. I have Carplay pausing Apple Music if I try using Carplay as a background app but that really is not an android problem (carplay is not meant to be run in background). In reality, I have more frequent android app crash problems on my Galaxy S8 with Android 8 that this Android 7 10.25 unit. Yesterday I had an issue with the unit not waking from sleep, but today, several drives and no problem with waking. To do some of Chris' recommended fixes, I did change the A-B cable from A to B and at the same time cleaned the connector to the screen and make sure everything was securely connected. The sleep may have easily been related to A-B as that fixed my dial not working (my 2011 E350 USA NTG4 wanted A-B to B instead of default A-B to A).

Next thing for me is getting an anti glare screen film sheet, like maybe one that would fit the large size iPad Pro or even a laptop to apply and then trim as in bright sunlight there is a bit too much reflection of the passenger seat on the screen. I want a matte screen like the original COMAND had. Other than that, my V2 unit was rocking today. Drove to work watching (well glancing at while listening to) Youtube Music (the music video app) and then Youtube Premium on the way home and out to dinner with my impressed wife. In the middle of the day I used Waze to get the to the lowering shop to get my springs installed and no more Waze problems (GPS locked immediately after adjusting the antenna position).

One thing I really love about the V2 is its microphone. Even with noise of the AC on max, it has no problem getting my voice in SIRI or with Waze's voice recognition. V2 is way cool. There are a few very small things left like trying to trick AT&T U-Verse app into running (claims it cannot confirm authentication as if the unit is rooted) and the android version of Apple Music which won't log in (log in button doesn't do anything); 3rd party apps from Google Play store stuff.

If not for my kit coming with a bad wiring harness, the install would have largely been very easy and a couple of emails from Chris got the settings worked out (like getting the backup camera turned on). It sure doesn't seem like wiring harness problems are common so I would recommend V2 with the caveat that you will need some post install help from your seller or the forum to iron out a few wrinkles like settings. Without Chris I would have been pretty screwed since there was so little info on V2 and units are packed in China with zero instructions included.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-04-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:18 AM

2011 W212

Now the only software improvement I'd love to get is the music library management: all folders are put together in a single list, I don't see a way to choose to play only one folder (genre or artist or album). Basically the interface is so simple it's just listing all existing mp3. And it seems the only way to order stuff around is to name all folders ARTIST_ALBUM (and having sub-folders is pointless, they'll show up at the root of the library).
You might want to try another player. I found that Navi icon on the main screen is only a shortcut. With a long press I think, I was able to get to a menu where I could choose what app is opened by the Navi icon. I think it was a long press as I found the menu by accident. I switched my NAVI icon destination from iGo to Waze. Now when I click NAVI it opens Waze. You might be able to do the same with the audio player and then use an even better audio player from the Google Play store. Once that new media player app is installed and if it works the way you want, try long pressing the audio icon on the main shortcut screen and see if you can change what app the audio icon actually opens. If I get Apple Music for android working, I am going to try to map the audio icon to that (or maybe Youtube Music) as I don't have any MP3s transferred.

Speaking of that, I would do some FLAC of my favorite tracks. I also want to see what effect audio processor apps might have, like equivalents of Dolby Atmos for Mobile type apps. But I think android is only outputting 2.0 audio and has no idea that it is running so many speakers (no front - rear in Android). AUX should still be processed by Logic 7.

Now that my V2 is installed and working well, the fun of messing with app store apps begins. Also want to see about getting this thing on my mobile plan with a SIM as tethering to iPhone is something I need to do every time I get into the car. I want V2 to have its own unlimited interwebz.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-04-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport MT
any tips or tricks for all the cables? im having trouble putting back the radio unit. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2018, 11:43 PM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by mjqg14
any tips or tricks for all the cables? im having trouble putting back the radio unit. Thank you!
On my 2011 212, behind the head unit is like a small pit with some sort of module down there and farther back. As I was pushing my radio back, I would reach through the top plate holes in the ac vent area down and guide the wires. Everything fits no problem so long as you get the main connector brick down there flat, so you just have to steer the harness around to make sure it is not doubling up or folding on itself. I had mine out twice, and both times had no problem getting it in using this method.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
Pretty much the same, theres a small indented section behind the unit, bundle your cables and your module into that pit, then push!
Old 08-06-2018, 07:58 PM

2011 W212
Any other option for Internet than WiFi tethering? I have tried USB tethering my Galaxy S8 to the V2 and it is not working. My Galaxy S8 reports tethered but the screen has no connectivity. And the build in SIM supposedly doesn't work outside of mainland China for some reason.

I am trying to set up an automated Internet connectivity when the car starts. Right now I have to manually turn on wifi tethering on my phone every time I get in. Wifi tethering works great, just trying to find a workaround for the manual connection every time. Anyone have a work around for avoiding the manual (turning it on, on the phone every time) tethering?
Old 08-06-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Any other option for Internet than WiFi tethering? I have tried USB tethering my Galaxy S8 to the V2 and it is not working. My Galaxy S8 reports tethered but the screen has no connectivity. And the build in SIM supposedly doesn't work outside of mainland China for some reason.

I am trying to set up an automated Internet connectivity when the car starts. Right now I have to manually turn on wifi tethering on my phone every time I get in. Wifi tethering works great, just trying to find a workaround for the manual connection every time. Anyone have a work around for avoiding the manual (turning it on, on the phone every time) tethering?
Tasker app?
Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 AM

2011 W212
The problem is that wireless hotspots on phones are off by default to save battery. For iOS to iOS or macOS to iOS tethering, there is a method of remote starting a hotspot but I have not found a way to do this from the V2 to remote start an iOS or Android 8 hotspot, perhaps using BT.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLA45 AMG
I used T-Mobile's SyncUP Drive (4gLTA 2gig plan $10/month). It worked great before I sent my V1 back. I'm waiting on a replacement V2.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:43 PM

2011 W212
I have T-Mobile, I don't see how I missed this. I have an Automatic already in my OBDII port so I should be able to pick up a splitter and use this. Looks like I will need to go to a TMo store and see what plans they have as they do not appear to be orderable online.

No unlimited data plan, only tiered plans. Currently have unlimited tethering with my phone. Might look at AT&T and see if they still offer the ZTE OBDII which appears to be the same thing.

Nope, Mobley is dead along with the $20 plan for OBDII devices at AT&T, per a store I called.

I have been messing with Tasker with no luck. On my TMo locked S8 it won't turn on hotspot when it connects to the screen via BT. My friend recommended Automate so I am giving that a go.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-07-2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Edit - No unlimited data
Old 08-07-2018, 02:58 PM

2011 W212
Turns out neither Tasker or Automate will work for turning on the hotspot in A8 or 8.1 unless the phone is rooted (looking at lengthy reddit and Google groups threads on it). Something changed in A8 that broke it, denying permissions to turn on tethering (error is tether_privileged) through system apps. Grr. This would have been the best solution since I have unlimited tethering and AT&T killed their $20 unlimited OBD II plan (people were putting the SIM in other devices). TMo's higher data plans for their OBD II setup is overpriced IMO as are Sprint's.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-07-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLA45 AMG
All this talk of bad GPS reception, has any of you guys tried a different GPA Antenna with a male SMA plug (some on Amazon)? Mine that was shipped with the V1 worked fine. I had it rolled up in one of the vents as a temp measure. I was thinking of installing it under the center speaker grill on my GLA. Haven't taken it apart to see if I have enough room for the mini speaker and the GPS Antenna.
If one of you can check to see the Voltage out from the GPS socket on the display to be 3v-5v?

Something like this would work:

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-07-2018, 08:11 PM

2011 W212
I did not have bad reception with my V2 once I actually positioned my antenna and made sure none of my wire bundles were stuck on top. At first, I had not stuck my antenna down and when stuffing in all the wires and WiFi antenna goings on, the GPS antenna ended up pushed to the side, turned up on its side, with a bunch of junk on top. Now that it is positioned and stuck down, I get good locks very quickly.

The antenna can't penetrate metal people installing can move it around and watch the GPS test to see where they get best signal. Once they have good signal, they will also get much faster lock-ons. Then when stuffing in the wires, make sure nothing ends up on top of the antenna.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-07-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 PM

2011 W212
New problem cropped up today. I read that the V2 supports Apple iPod so I reformatted my iPod Classic 160GB for Windows and loaded my stuff but when connected it crashes my V2 at boot with a Process System Isn’t Responding error window and touch stops working etc. I have to turn off the car and remove the key, open a door and unplug the iPod, then the V2 will boot normally when I restart the car.

if I wait to plug in the iPod until the system is booted I get “preparing Apple USB drive, Checking for errors” and then after five minutes it claims it is corrupt even though it isn’t. The iPod plays fine and mounts in windows and OS X no problem, passing disk inspections in both operating systems.

Is the iPod support claim incorrect (maybe only certain models) or is there a size limit for what iPods are supported? I have tried obvious stuff like disk use on and off but with the same results, V2 crashes/hangs at boot. There might be a size limit or number of tracks limit that crashes my V2. I don't have a nano to try so I can't test that.

I did get Apple Music working. Turns out the short screen height obscured the log in lines behind graphics but if you start swiping around the top 3rd of the screen, you will uncover the log in lines. It did take 3 or 4 tries to get the validation code for 2 factor log in but it did end up working.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-08-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline

While Chris and Carlife say that the SIM slot doesn't work outside China another seller on AliExpress advertises the unit as having 4G connection:
"3G/4G : Yes, support SIM card directly without 3G/4G dongl:"
From Carsara's listing: 4G NetworkTD-LTE: B39 / B40 / B41; FDD-LTE: B1 / B3 / B7 / B8 (Support 4G in only Asia-Pacific region)
"Have you tried just sticking a SIM card in the slot on the side and see what happens?

Last edited by dacia; 08-09-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:04 AM

2011 W212
Looking at that list of supported bands, that would by why it doesn't work outside of Asia. T-Mobile USA for example uses 2, 4, 12, 66 and 71 for LTE. China Mobile on the other hand uses 38, 39, 40 and 41. So this is a hardware limitation, not some sort of SIM carrier type lock.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-09-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
I like how they charge hundreds of dollars for these, and cant be bothered to include installation instructions. For those who have installed, what tools are necessary? I suspect a plastic pry bar and torx (which number?) screwdriver at the least. Perhaps this is car model dependent as well. Anyone install in a W205?
Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 AM

2011 W212
I don't know about W205 but for my W212 the tool list was very short

1. To make it easy, the Mercedes dash / trim T-handle hooks, they have been the same for a million years and are an easy get on eBay (I borrowed my brother's who uses them on his 95 E320 estate)
2. Plastic wedge kit to help get the dash trim off (I didn't need it, but good to have if you have some really tough clips)
3. Torx angle set or socket set to get the screen and headunit out. I used T handle on the screen but the space for the head unit is limited so I used a 1/4 drive Torx ratchet set for the headunit)
4. Phillips #2 screw driver to put the mount on the dash and screen on the mount (#2 screws replace the Torx, included in the kit). I think the screen was T8, don't remember the head unit but it is similar, maybe T6.
5. Youtube to get instructions on how to remove the dash (once you see where the hook points are it is REALLY easy).
6. Patience as you will likely need some post install support. Do not expect it to "just work" as there are often settings in Android that need to be changed or AB plug will need to be moved from AB to A to AB to B, etc

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-09-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Forgot the plastic wedge kit
The following users liked this post:
Coldfact (04-15-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed