E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Old 08-17-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E550
Originally Posted by Skeechan
Any other option for Internet than WiFi tethering? I have tried USB tethering my Galaxy S8 to the V2 and it is not working. My Galaxy S8 reports tethered but the screen has no connectivity. And the build in SIM supposedly doesn't work outside of mainland China for some reason.

I am trying to set up an automated Internet connectivity when the car starts. Right now I have to manually turn on wifi tethering on my phone every time I get in. Wifi tethering works great, just trying to find a workaround for the manual connection every time. Anyone have a work around for avoiding the manual (turning it on, on the phone every time) tethering?
I use Tasker with the plugin "Nougat+ Tasker Tethering Control" in the app store on my S9 and it works. I have a profile for the Comand Bluetooth connection that triggers a task to turn on tethering using that plug in. Works for my S9; hope it works for S8 also.​​​​​
Old 08-17-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2011 W212
Are you rooted? These 8+ tethering turn on things all seem to require a rooted device in order to function.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 AMG E63 S
Originally Posted by AfterMarket
I use Tasker with the plugin "Nougat+ Tasker Tethering Control" in the app store on my S9 and it works. I have a profile for the Comand Bluetooth connection that triggers a task to turn on tethering using that plug in. Works for my S9; hope it works for S8 also.
I did a relatively easy workaround if you on an Android phone. Download the application called Automate, there is an in-car hotspot automation already pre-created that you can download as a plugin.

All you need to do is configure the plugin that whenever your phone connects to the 10.25 Bluetooth connection to automatically enable your WiFi hotspot and have the 10.25 display configured to auto connect to your phone's Wifi hotspot. No root required.

The following users liked this post:
Coldfact (04-16-2019)
Old 08-17-2018, 08:05 PM

2011 W212
Automate did not work for me in 8.0. None of these apps will turn on the hotspot. They all fail on permissions problems (tether_privileged) that are only solved by rooting.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-17-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC X253
If you ever got an issue with the tablet's music and sound cutting after about 20 seconds: make sure that in your Audio20, the option to play music randomly across all medias is off. I'm not sure how it got turned on, but my stupid Audio20 would switch to the (navigation) SD card, found no music, then just stay there forever instead of switching back to the USB AUX.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:13 PM

2014 AMG E63 S
Automate did not work for me in 8.0. None of these apps will turn on the hotspot. They all fail on permissions problems (tether_privileged) that are only solved by rooting.
There are a few 'gotchas' with Android Oreo and Pie versions to allow the automations to execute flawlessly.

Ensure you have your 10.25 tablet selected as the Bluetooth device to connect to, so that the hotspot will be enabled

Select this part of the flow in Automate for the Bluetooth automation called "In car hotspot" as the flow.

Do you have hotspot in your quick settings?

Do you have the appropriate permissions set in the Automate application?

1. In order to turn the hotspot on and off in Android Oreo+, the hotspot tile MUST be present in the quick settings. To see if it is, expand the status by swiping down twice. If the hotspot tile isn't present, tape the edit/pen icon, then drag the title to add it.
2. You must also set the 10.25" screen's Bluetooth connection as a Trusted Device. Navigate to Settings/Security & Location/Smart Lock/Trusted Devices and add it accordingly.
3. Within the Automate application you must authorize Automate to MODIFY SYSTEM SETTINGS with the checkbox, under Privileges, without this it is unable to perform the actions.

Coldfact (04-16-2019)
Old 08-19-2018, 12:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow... very informative thread for the android upgrade.

Questions...
has the gps officially been rectified? I still see a few post saying people couldn’t get their gps to work. That’s a must for me. Is the gps antenna having a hard time picking up signal? Are you guys just hotspoting to get gps to work?

the audio switching... has this been also been fixed?

Lastly, is it best to just get the car play module so that you can just mirror your phone?

thx
Old 08-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by t895zx
I'm more so looking to acquire the actual bootlogo.zip that has the AMG logo. My unit shipped with the just Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, etc. logos but no AMG.

I would like to download the AMG bootlogo.zip copy it to a usb stick, and attach it to my unit and then proceed to change the logo. Does anyone have a copy of the bootlogo for AMG or other cool logos?
Voila...AMG logo file
Attached Files
File Type: zip
bootanimation.zip (3.19 MB, 1104 views)

Last edited by amgggg...; 08-20-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:24 AM

2014 AMG E63 S
Originally Posted by amgggg...
Voila...AMG logo file
You are the man! This is freakin' awesome, it's the little things like this in life that make me smile.

Pew, Pew, pew, freakin' lasers!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:06 AM

2014 AMG E63 S

My life is now complete
Old 08-21-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Wagon
I don't get it...the Hot Spot Starter app works flawlessly for me on Android 8.1.0
Old 08-21-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Originally Posted by AfterMarket
I use Tasker with the plugin "Nougat+ Tasker Tethering Control" in the app store on my S9 and it works. I have a profile for the Comand Bluetooth connection that triggers a task to turn on tethering using that plug in. Works for my S9; hope it works for S8 also.​​​​​
Just tested Tasker with my Nexus 6P running 8.1.0 and it works fine (if you OK the prompt to allow system settings to be changed) when creating the task to turn on tethering. This is on what is a freshly built factory image with no root.

I know some US carriers modify the build to block tethering being enabled, maybe that is the issue.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK350
Static and video not playing

Hi guys, I just installed this unit on my 2015 GLK350. Mine is with 2GB ram and Android 7.1.1. However I do notice an annoying humming static noise whenever I hook up the AUX cable.

Also I am unable to play video as the screen shows “Do not operate while driving” I guess this is a setting issue but I couldn’t figure out where.

Does anybody know how to resolve those two issues? Besides that I’m happy with the unit. Thank you guys in advance.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm considering this upgrade. Can I get more information on the following questions....?

Has the GPS officially been rectified? I still see a few posts saying people couldn’t get their GPS to work. That’s a must for me. Is the GPS antenna having a hard time picking up a signal? Are you guys just hot spotting to get GPS to work?

The audio switching, has this also been fixed?

Lastly, is it best to just get the car play module so that you can just mirror your iPhone?

Thx!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
Originally Posted by 2 EURO
I'm considering this upgrade. Can I get more information on the following questions....?

Has the GPS officially been rectified? I still see a few posts saying people couldn’t get their GPS to work. That’s a must for me. Is the GPS antenna having a hard time picking up a signal? Are you guys just hot spotting to get GPS to work?

The audio switching, has this also been fixed?

Lastly, is it best to just get the car play module so that you can just mirror your iPhone?

Thx!
I know it's a long thread but the answers to your questions are there in the last few pages.
Yes, GPS works fine as long as you place the receiver on top, directly under the dash (you can use two sided tape) away from cables and metal parts.
You can also tether the iPhone.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:54 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Originally Posted by Momodatx
Hi guys, I just installed this unit on my 2015 GLK350. Mine is with 2GB ram and Android 7.1.1. However I do notice an annoying humming static noise whenever I hook up the AUX cable.
You may need a 3.5 mm Jack Ground Loop Isolator if you can't find the source of the interference. Cheap enough to buy.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:41 AM

2011 W212
Darn it, my V2 did it to me again. Got in the car this morning and was met with the Android Starting, optimizing apps, then something about processing an update and BAM, all my settings and apps are gone and the unit is back at a factory state. This is the second time it has done this and it is extremely annoying. Re-downloading all my apps and getting them logged back in and all of that is tedious. WTF?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e350
Darn it, my V2 did it to me again. Got in the car this morning and was met with the Android Starting, optimizing apps, then something about processing an update and BAM, all my settings and apps are gone and the unit is back at a factory state. This is the second time it has done this and it is extremely annoying. Re-downloading all my apps and getting them logged back in and all of that is tedious. WTF?
Is it possible to back up the unit to Google so that you can simply restore it?
Old 08-23-2018, 12:38 PM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by huewish
Is it possible to back up the unit to Google so that you can simply restore it?
Even if, still have to redownload everything and reset up each of the app accounts. Would prefer the V2 not format itself every 2 weeks. I need to figure out what is causing these factory resets.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E350 Sport
Has anyone been able to install a front facing camera w this or do we still need a interface for that to happen
Old 08-24-2018, 12:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
Could someone tell me if is still possible to use the COMAND DVD player and watch videos either on the big screen or on the small OEM screen?
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
damn. this is concerning enough to give me pause on buying this. anyone else having the same issue?
Old 08-24-2018, 11:36 AM

2011 W212
Even with the quirks, this V2 is just so awesome that I would NEVER give it up, and I have had the worst install experience of anyone in the thread, by far, and I am still stoked on the V2.

It is so superior to the NTG4 and all of those limitations that dealing with an occasional V2 bug is worth it a million times over. Today I was streaming HD+zoomed youtube music videos and the sound was great. FLAC sounds even more amazing. I use VLC to stream concert videos too, plus Carplay support with the USB adapter, SiriusXM app (with its more channels and portability), Apple Music, TV channels (I listen to the audio during commutes), iHeartRadio and especially Waze navigation...I save more time using waze and its suprior traffic routing than I ever would spend dealing with these occasional V2 quirks. And then the interest. Everyone who sees it, especially people with W212s are shocked that such a thing even exists.

Is it perfect? No. Is it all kinds of epic and awesome? Hell yes. After using it daily for a few weeks now do I recommend it even having had the worst install trouble that Chris at CKM got me through, no problem. 1000%! Even now, I email Chris from time to time asking about this feature or that feature and he provides great support. I am discovering new capabilities of this thing every few days.

I will say finally, and it is almost funny, I was VERY close to trading in my W212 for a new mediocre car as mine now has 114K miles, I had a tear in my seat, I hated the NTG4, HATED it, etc, I was so bored. The V2 changed that. After installing the V2, I bought new 19" wheels, got it lowered, got the seat fixed as good as new for, it turned out, cheap, tossed in a HID kit, installed the optional AMG clear tail lights, clear side markers...I am just pumped on my car again. Even today, I am working with Chris on installing a retrofit color IC in my 2011. At this rate, I will NEVER get rid of this car. It is more new to me than the day I got it. And it all started with the V2.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-24-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Coldfact (04-16-2019)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
That's pretty awesome to hear someone so stoked about this unit. All I'm wondering here is if they'll ever add android auto.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy
That's pretty awesome to hear someone so stoked about this unit. All I'm wondering here is if they'll ever add android auto.
Can't you just download the app from the play store and run it?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed