E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Old 10-15-2018, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by Michael57
I tried this afternoon to remove the filter box without much believe it.
But it works, now the screen is not cut when I start the car.

Thanks for the help.
There you go..
Old 10-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 AMG
On a side note, i'm happy to give Chris and Car Life mall a detailed review if i ever get my product working.

Here's an update of where I am. Please please please help if you have any idea how to fix this. I have a 2011 E63

1) I can’t seem to tether it to my iPhone. The option is greyed out in settings
- Still have this issue. I had hoped once i got the Car Play dongle fixed, this would work, but it doesn't. I have no idea how to enable. (see photo below)

2) AVM does not work. If I have if set to on, when I use my blinker it cuts to the stock command screen till I turn off my blinker. I do not have stock AVM, it's an after market one if it matters.
- Still have this issue. Does the 1-13 Screen options on the hidden menu impact this? Anyone have AVM with their car?

3) the unit’s internal speaker is on. I think I turned it up accidentally while trying to figure out how to fix my car, and I can’t figure out how to turn it down.
- I think this stopped.

4) BT for Telephone is really poor. Are you all using the unit to pair or the car?
- Where is the microphone on the screen? on the back? is anyone using BT on the screen for their phone? How is their call quality? Is it possible to add a microphone?

5) the resolution is a bit off in the apps. IE Apple Music doesn’t look Right. Is there a way to fix?
- Waze, Google Maps, Apple Music, Sirius look very smushed and have the bottom of the screen cut off because of the odd dimensions of the screen. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

6) Do I need the car play dongle?
- Ok I had purchased this, finally got it to work. Didn't realize I needed to download a special app from the website (not google play store) to get this to work. This has dramatically improved my opinion of the screen. Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps all work better within this program than on the screen directly. Sirius and Apple Music aren't as "pretty" but are much more functional with Car Play.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Heisenberg5070
Has anyone been able to install a front facing camera w this or do we still need a interface for that to happen
I'm interested in installing a front facing camera too. I have the OEM reverse camera and I like to understand the following (I have a V2 and wiring for the V1 may be different):

There is an RCA Video in plug and a CCD 12v supply blue wire. I presume these are meant for the reversing camera. If I were to use these two connectors for a front facing camera, can someone with the unit on a test bed or out confirm that the video from the camera input breaks through to the display when 12 v applied to the camera and the Camera is on? Unfortunately, my display is mounted and I don't want to open the dash again if these connections can't be used the way I intend to.
If this work, I will put a switch under dash to supply the 12v to the camera.

thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Originally Posted by pdsoliman
Yes - Swapping the A/B worked (according to my installer). However, you need to restart the screen for it to work.

I have an aux port.

Tethering is still greyed out no matter what i do.
If you are trying to use your phone as the hotspot, then you create the tether on the phone which gives a wifi hotspot for the head unit to connect to. You would only do it on the head unit if you have a sim fitted to the unit and were trying to create a connection for the phone to use that sim card.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:58 PM

2014 E550 4 MATIC Sedan
Anyone else getting a black screen on start up? I get it at least a few times a week and it's getting really annoying to have to unplug the screen every time. Should I return it to the manufacturer?

Last edited by Butta; 10-15-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:16 PM

2011 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by 400ixl
If you are trying to use your phone as the hotspot, then you create the tether on the phone which gives a wifi hotspot for the head unit to connect to. You would only do it on the head unit if you have a sim fitted to the unit and were trying to create a connection for the phone to use that sim card.
Ok, after reading a couple of sites, i think i may be using poor terminology:

For internet access - I want to use my iPhone with the USB cable to tether to my android screen, rather than wifi.

Last edited by pdsoliman; 10-15-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:25 PM

2011 E63 AMG
AH I see what you are saying... the tethering is for the head unit to provide internet. OK, that makes a ton more sense.

I still want to provide internet to the head unit via USB from my iPhone. Does anyone know if that is possible?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:20 PM

2010 E350
Finally got it sorted there is a secret menu if u press and hold on functions in car info. Now I need to try sorting out the screen not coming on after a cold start. I will try out the fuse box method and see how it goes. Am I meant to remove the fuse box completely then? If so that will surely free up some space for my command unit to slide back in. I also found that pulling any excess wire to the top behind the screen helps with the unit going back further then. 👍
Old 10-16-2018, 05:46 PM

2010 E350
So I have only got sound from left speakers when using video or music player (fine when using original radio/cd). I saw a post on this but going through all these post is a nightmare. Can any shed some light on this?

Also there's a wire attached to the aux labelled BT VCC anyone know what this is for?

im having trouble setting the amg logo as well, I get the settings up but it's in Chinese but it ain't hard to work out it's probably for Benz or amg logo but after selecting 1 the rotating loading symbol comes up, I waited 10 minutes with it still loading without any change, anyone else had this issue??
Old 10-17-2018, 12:15 PM

W212

Please help.This plug for what is it?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC X253
Originally Posted by Charlii
Please help.This plug for what is it?
From this thread :
Old 10-17-2018, 01:10 PM

W212
Thank you : г
Old 10-18-2018, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
What are the benefits

This is a super long thread of mostly troubleshooting finicky installation of this device. Can someone summarize the benefits of this unit???

Is it mainly just to have a larger display screen? The 3rd party navigation apps seem to require cellular data tethering and do not always work. For me, I really dislike the current trend of screens in many cars, including lower-end MB's ,looking like stuck-on tablets; like an after-thought and not part of the original design. I feel like the look of the stuck-on tablet screen is a downgrade.

The factory Harmon-Kardon system in my 2012 model E550 does everything I want it to do (after addition of a real subwoofer). I rarely use the built-in navigation, opting for just using my Google nav on my phone, and sticking it in a stand, unless traveling long distance. The only thing that could possibly sway me to need anything more would be the new style of full integration with phones, Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. It does not seem like this unit offers such seamless integration.

The one point that I thought was "neat" was the Torque app displaying the gauges, but probably would not use it very much, and totally unnecessary.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
And a phone stuck in a stand looks good and oem?? Thats the worst I know..
Well it totaly of course depends on what you want to do in a car.

These are just a few things:
Many navi apps work without a conection. Or I would say most of them. And they are free to update. Not like OEM maps that cost a fortune and they are way more modern and up to date than OEM.
You can mirror your phone to the unit if you like that.
You can have Carplay or Android Auto
You can stream Music from phone
You can see video in motion in HD
You can add apps like youtube and netflix
You can do custom startup logos and wallpapers
You can get wheather info app or almost any app you like.
You can add any back up camera you like and get guide lines that is built in
Or dash cam or 360.
And so on....

So as I said. Depens a bit on what you use in a car.... For my self I just love the modern OEM look of it
Old 10-19-2018, 03:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E350
Originally Posted by 400ixl
Depending on which menu it should be either 1234, 5678 or 8888
thanks for the reply. Tried all of those but none of them work. I have a version one (original) and this is what's listed on the version tab. (Attached pic) any other passwords?

I really just need to install Google play, since they sent me s Chinese version that doesn't have it installed. I've installed Google services but there's an error and I think I need to change one of the android settings, but can't get into the settings menus. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:15 AM

C63 AMG W204
Originally Posted by aznmode
So I bought a bluetooth OBDII scanner that plugs into my OBDII. This way I can see information such as RPM, speed, boost, temp etc on the screen. Except I can't get it to pair. When I go to my bluetooth setting, I see the OBDII on the list but when I try to pair, it won't pop up the screen to where I can enter the pairing code. Do you guys know of any bluetooth OBDII devices that do not require a pairing code?

This is the one I bought originally but kept coming off.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the new one which was a firmer fit and doesn't come off.
KOBRA OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth Scan Tool

UPDATE: Solved my issue
Found this app to pre program pin code for bluetooth connections. Well worth the $1.99 price tag for what I'm trying to accomplish.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...con.btautopair

I purchased Torque Pro from the play store and here is a screen shot.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

Not sure I like the interface of Torque Pro so I will keep searching for one that I like.

Thank you very much!!!! You made my day! I also wrote to the support for this thing and they said they don't have a solution.......
The following users liked this post:
mdzukunft (06-06-2019)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
And a phone stuck in a stand looks good and oem?? Thats the worst I know..
Well it totaly of course depends on what you want to do in a car.

These are just a few things:
Many navi apps work without a conection. Or I would say most of them. And they are free to update. Not like OEM maps that cost a fortune and they are way more modern and up to date than OEM.
You can get wheather info app or almost any app you like.
Or dash cam or 360.
And so on....

So as I said. Depens a bit on what you use in a car.... For my self I just love the modern OEM look of it

Most of what you mention I can already do with the stock screen, or don't care about. The one feature I would like is the full Android Auto integration. I don't see much documentation about this screen, and the videos I found are just basic installation and first operation. It would be great if you could make some videos or blog type posts with pics showing the functionality of Android Auto (and Apple CarPlay for the Apple people).

I still think the look of the integrated stock screen is better than the big screen popping out, but for that feature, I may consider it. Where I can put my phone away and see all the functions on the car screen.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Eh what??? No you cant!! What super version of comand do you have then?
Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
--- OK, can download Google maps of your typical area for offline NAV, but not a big deal, just doing it on my phone is pretty easy when I need it. Don't use navigation more than maybe once a week at most, I'm familiar with my city

*** please show me how the functionality is with this, highly desired for Android, like new vehicles.

--- Already can do this, but mostly I listen to Sirius radio subscription.

-- Possible to do this on stock setup, but I don't care about it, not going to watch video while driving

-- Never going to be a useful feature for me, don't care.

-- don't care

You can get weather info app or almost any app you like
-- don't care. I live in Florida, weather is either hot or raining and hot, just look through the window.
--- Torque app is a cool novelty, but probably would never leave it on the display. No reason to monitor real time sensor telemetry on a completely stock tune vehicle.

-- already have backup camera, don't want to stick on any after-market cameras, mainly I just do it old-school and look behind me, because I don't trust cameras or mirrors backing up

Or dash cam or 360.
--- don't care, don't have or need a dash cam. If I got one it would just be passively recording in the event I needed it for legal evidence.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
No not without buying alot of extra modules and so on. So that means you cant do it OEM...

And what you dont care about is you..As Is said. It depends on what you want....Most of these things are important to most users.

So I dont think this is for you. Your not intrested in almost anything so dont even know why you look at it?
The following users liked this post:
Coldfact (04-16-2019)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
The price would be worth it if the Android Auto full integration works like a new car, since there is no other option to upgrade this feature in a 2012 model. New car sales are highly dependent on technology upgrades because not much else is different unless you get into wildly expensive special performance models. Other than tech and some body lines, not much is different in every day driving functionality from a 2010 E350 to a 2018 E350.

In my CLK430 I could just swap out the entire unit for the latest Pioneer system with all the new tech features at any time. It gave a 2000 vehicle the same feel as a 2012 vehicle in terms of available technology. Too bad they make things so complicated in newer vehicles.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:57 AM

Mercedes GLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Perocat
Thank you very much!!!! You made my day! I also wrote to the support for this thing and they said they don't have a solution.......
couldn't find the bluetooth app on the play store. Without it, I can't pair the OBDII adaptor.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:41 AM

c200
Sound quality

hello guys,

does everyone have this sound quality, or is it just my unit?!

i tried using a ground loop noise isolator with no difference in sound quality.

the ideea is, that the buzzing occours only when the unit sends audio signal through the aux, while when it is paused, it does not make any buzzing sound...

any feedback is appreciated!
Old 10-21-2018, 02:39 PM

C63 AMG W204
Here you are:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vaig.forcepair
Old 10-21-2018, 07:04 PM

2011 E class
Unit not turning on

HELP!!!
Can someone be a star and guide me in the right direction please.
so I got a screen given to me from a friend had it fitted and worked absolutely fine apart from the screen being blank sometimes. So my handy man found this thread and saw that removing the little black fuse box and rewiring the black and yellow wire would resolve this but in the process he accidently touched 1 of the yellow wires onto the metal on the back of the unit causing a spark and now the whole unit and screen doesn't want to come on 😔😭.
what do I do I am going on a road trip soon and I need my music!!!
please someone HELP!!!
I'm hoping it's nothing too serious because I don't want my handy man to feel any more guilty than he already is bless him.
xxx

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed