MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   2nd strike for dealer service (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/693135-2nd-strike-dealer-service.html)

thefisch 12-23-2017 06:26 PM

2nd strike for dealer service

So a couple of years ago a new MB dealer opened up closer to my house and I started to go there for service. Been there twice before and the only issue was they forgot to change the cabin air filter last year as part of the B service. It wasn't listed on the invoice but I noted its absence and the dirty condition of the old filter. The dealer sent a tech to my office and they changed it out there. Here is a thread on that service. After noticing their miss on the cabin filter, I decided to go over everything they did. While the oil filter looked new, it was hard to tell since they are black and not that shiny. Plus the engine cover keeps the filter from getting too dusty and dirty. So I wrote a date on the filter just so I could verify it for service next year. I think you know where this is going.

This year my car only needed a service A and took it to the same dealer. They were able to use the $130 off $250 coupon by adjusting the price of the service to qualify so it was about $140 out the door, washed with new keyfob battery. When I got home I started to check service items like I normally do and I noticed the same marked oil filter in place. I was floored. The invoice clearly shows the oil filter listed but they did not change it. Service is now closed (and won't reopen until Tuesday) so I could do is speak to reception and leave voicemail. I can't believe they messed up something so simple.

Anyone else had this happen? I don't feel like I can go there again.

baybombers 12-23-2017 06:40 PM

The second time something like that happened sounds like more than an oversight on their part.

Would you mind PMing me the name of the dealer? My in-laws are in the west central FL area and I will give them a heads up about the service department in case that is where they take their SL.

Thanks.

Jose Osorio 12-23-2017 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 7341966)
So a couple of years ago a new MB dealer opened up closer to my house and I started to go there for service. Been there twice before and the only issue was they forgot to change the cabin air filter last year as part of the B service. It wasn't listed on the invoice but I noted its absence and the dirty condition of the old filter. The dealer sent a tech to my office and they changed it out there. Here is a thread on that service. After noticing their miss on the cabin filter, I decided to go over everything they did. While the oil filter looked new, it was hard to tell since they are black and not that shiny. Plus the engine cover keeps the filter from getting too dusty and dirty. So I wrote a date on the filter just so I could verify it for service next year. I think you know where this is going.

This year my car only needed a service A and took it to the same dealer. They were able to use the $130 off $250 coupon by adjusting the price of the service to qualify so it was about $140 out the door, washed with new keyfob battery. When I got home I started to check service items like I normally do and I noticed the same marked oil filter in place. I was floored. The invoice clearly shows the oil filter listed but they did not change it. Service is now closed (and won't reopen until Tuesday) so I could do is speak to reception and leave voicemail. I can't believe they messed up something so simple.

Anyone else had this happen? I don't feel like I can go there again.

Sounds like you're trying to find a reason to throw a brick at someone. The part of the filter that you see under your engine cover is the part that houses the actual filter. None of the engines offered on the w212 have an oil filter that you can see from the outside so they more than likely replaced your oil filter. If you still gave doubts buy an oil filter wrench to remove that housing. All Mercedes Benz oil filters have a date stamp on the plastic portion of the housing.

threeMBs 12-23-2017 06:54 PM

OP, you are kidding, right? The oil filter can not be seen from the outside, it’s inside the “black and not that shiny” filter housing! Unbelievable!

KEY08 12-23-2017 07:02 PM

Correct Fisch. You just marked the oil filter housing.

thefisch 12-23-2017 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by threeMBs (Post 7341975)
OP, you are kidding, right? The oil filter can not be seen from the outside, it’s inside the “black and not that shiny” filter housing! Unbelievable!

Wow, I just assumed that was the filter since it was already under the engine cover. My mistake. :smash:

Originally Posted by Jose Osorio (Post 7341973)
Sounds like you're trying to find a reason to throw a brick at someone. The part of the filter that you see under your engine cover is the part that houses the actual filter. None of the engines offered on the w212 have an oil filter that you can see from the outside so they more than likely replaced your oil filter. If you still gave doubts buy an oil filter wrench to remove that housing. All Mercedes Benz oil filters have a date stamp on the plastic portion of the housing.

Not trying to throw a brick, just a dumb mistake on my part. I am going to call the dealer and let them know my mistake and apologize for the first voicemail. If taking off the cover removes the actual filter was well then I am not going to mess with it. Although I am curious to see the real filter now.

As embarrassing as it is to make a mistake, I am glad that you all corrected me so I don't have to bother going back to the dealer. Saved me a trip.

dbldpr 12-24-2017 09:46 AM

No use asking to see the old filter because they could just show you someone else's old filter they actually changed. There are a lot of shady dealers out there . If you do not feel comfortable with that dealer I would go somewhere else. I remember one time a dealer was to remove 4 defective struts under warranty. I spray painted the old ones. Dealer told me I did not need to spray them he was going to replace them.. I stated I just wanted to make sure. Went to a dealer to have an oil change on Cadillac. Drove away and oil light came on. Dealer forgot to put oil in engine. Never went back to that dealer. Like I said there are a lot of bad ones and it takes time to find a good one.

Mud 12-24-2017 09:48 AM

Yes that was the housing, the top unscrews to access the filter element.
Here's what the filter actually looks like, this was for my 350 but I think 550 is the same.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/581968-couple-oil-filter-pics.html

thefisch 12-24-2017 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 7342173)
No use asking to see the old filter because they could just show you someone else's old filter they actually changed. There are a lot of shady dealers out there . If you do not feel comfortable with that dealer I would go somewhere else. I remember one time a dealer was to remove 4 defective struts under warranty. I spray painted the old ones. Dealer told me I did not need to spray them he was going to replace them.. I stated I just wanted to make sure. Went to a dealer to have an oil change on Cadillac. Drove away and oil light came on. Dealer forgot to put oil in engine. Never went back to that dealer. Like I said there are a lot of bad ones and it takes time to find a good one.

I usually some kind of check beforehand and verify after. But in this case I was mistaken.

kajtek1 12-24-2017 10:29 AM

When this case was just a mistake, not replacing oil filter is pretty common issue. On one car I bought in the past the paper filter become so brittle that it shattered in my hand, so I assumed that even selling dealer did replace the oil, filter wasn't changed for LONG time.
Stories like that makes my DIY everything. Even when I see the specials offering oil change for $39, I rather crawl under the car.

dbldpr 12-24-2017 10:35 AM

When you get up in age it is more difficult to crawl under a car. I did all the work on the cars in my younger days. Now I have to rely on the dealer but I am thinking about putting in a lift in my garage.

threeMBs 12-24-2017 11:55 AM

One of the beauties of owning a Mercedes is that one does not crawl under the car to change the oil - it’s done from the top and takes less time than taking car to a dealer.

dbldpr 12-24-2017 11:58 AM

I had no idea you could access the drain plug from above. I know of several cars you can access the filter from above. I will have to look into where the drain plug is at. Thanks

s140s 12-24-2017 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 7342265)
I had no idea you could access the drain plug from above. I know of several cars you can access the filter from above. I will have to look into where the drain plug is at. Thanks

Drain plug is located down under, only the filter is under the hood. Previous poster was referring to sucking out oil with vacuum pump via dip stick and replacing the filter under the hood.
I changed the oil on the e350 myself and when I did it for the first time, I spent nearly 30min looking for the oil drain plug because all the bolts looks exactly the same and there is no visible oil drain plug on the bottom of the pan, its actually on the side and only hint I got was because its was showing wear on the bolt from previous changes.

Here is a photo of a GLK with 3.5 V6 showing the location of the plug, I had trouble locating it because of how low the car is, even on the ramps and laying on my back.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fb07f61ca1.jpg

dbldpr 12-24-2017 12:44 PM

Did you have to remove underside covers to get at the plug?

Mud 12-24-2017 12:48 PM

The front section cover needs to be removed, about 6 or 8 screws. I initially used the suction method but have since done the change from below as it gives me a good opportunity to check general condition of components.

dbldpr 12-24-2017 12:59 PM

My car is ready for its 4th oil change. It is 4 years old and is due for the B this time It just turned 12,000 miles. If it was not for traveling 1000 miles each way to Myrtle Beach SC 3 times I would only have about 4,000 miles on it. Sets in heated garage with cover on it.

threeMBs 12-24-2017 06:54 PM

Dealers replace oil only from the top (powerful vacuums). I replace oil myself since 2000 only from the top. (16 cars, 8 of them Es, never a problem with basically all oil sucked out). Takes about 30 min start to complete finish, or less time than getting to dealer and back.

kajtek1 12-24-2017 07:19 PM

MB start making vacuum-able tubes on their engines about 50 years ago. Some owners just need extra time to get the message ;)
I had 1987 MB diesel pan out and compared that with right angle vacuum will remove more oil, than side-mounted plug.
Talking about physical disabilities, my joints are getting stiffer with age, but my father is good inspiration.
At 93, about 80% blind he tried to dispose a carpet he hang in garage 30 years ago. Climbed a ladder, loosen the rope to drop the carpet on his head. Got several bruises and stepmom holding the ladder got blue leg as well.
Not loosing the spirit.

hyperion667 12-25-2017 08:34 AM

MB service can be shady, yes...........even though we expect GREAT service, it usually falls short.......my experience........

I'd go elsewhere OP, and keep your standards too, fawk the dealers/