Motor Trend compares 4 challengers to "S" class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally Posted by Arrie
There is no Lexus without Toyota, there is no Acura without Honda, there is no Infiniti without Nissan, there is no Lincoln without Ford and surely there is no Genesis without Huyndai. I do not understand how you can even entertain the idea that Genesis is its own car brand. It is a Huyndai built car no matter what they call it just like the others mentioned are built by their mother company.

What comes to S-Class vs. Huyndai Genesis I just don't know how the results could be as you say it is and I don't stand against it. The car testers must have a whole different idea of what to respect in a car than what I have. And it really is good for us consumers as it will bring these very expensive car prices down.

I just wish they would do the same test/comparison when these cars are 8 - 10 years old...
Actually Lincoln began as in independent car company just as your European ones did. You obviously do not have an understanding of what makes a car make (brand) or how automobile companies are organized and vehicles actually manufactured.

I'll repeat it again. MT did NOT compare the Genesis G90 (not a Hyundai) to the "S" Class. They compared four challengers to the "S" and the G90 was ranked number one. The comparison to the "S" will come later. I expect the "S" to win on everything except value.
As for waiting 8-10 years, nobody who is into cars wants to wait 8-10 years to decide which new car they should get. In 8-10 years none of these cars will still be on the market. The nomenclature will be the same, but the cars themselves will be far different.

Originally Posted by waisoserious
Car and Driver is just as credible as Motor Trend. They rank the vehicles much in the same way as motor trend. Subjectively.
C&D is as credible, but the article you referenced doesn't say how they determined the rank. Just that they ranked it higher. Considering how many cars are on the list (more than you listed), seriously doubt it was based on an actual comparative evaluation of the same year vehicles against each other. Could be based on anything. MT actually test drove, analyzed and compared the four cars.
MT rankings are objective for the most part. Read the article.
As for the C&D article, it came from their website where they "sell" cars.

One aspect of all this is that while Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Honda, etc. created new makes (brands) for the luxury car market, DAG has taken a different track. They began with a luxury only make, but now are selling "less expensive" and much less equipped vehicles as M-B's to compete with the other car companies. Not talking about smart as that is something entirely different.

What surprises me is how sensitive and reactionary some people can become over just the hint that an M-B product may be less than the best.

Last edited by El Cid; 02-01-2018 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tresean1 (02-04-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:51 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by El Cid
Actually Lincoln began as in independent car company just as your European ones did. You obviously do not have an understanding of what makes a car make (brand) or how automobile companies are organized and vehicles actually manufactured.

I'll repeat it again. MT did NOT compare the Genesis G90 (not a Hyundai) to the "S" Class. They compared four challengers to the "S" and the G90 was ranked number one. The comparison to the "S" will come later. I expect the "S" to win on everything except value.
As for waiting 8-10 years, nobody who is into cars wants to wait 8-10 years to decide which new car they should get. In 8-10 years none of these cars will still be on the market. The nomenclature will be the same, but the cars themselves will be far different.

C&D is as credible, but the article you referenced doesn't say how they determined the rank. Just that they ranked it higher. Considering how many cars are on the list (more than you listed), seriously doubt it was based on an actual comparative evaluation of the same year vehicles against each other. Could be based on anything. MT actually test drove, analyzed and compared the four cars.

One aspect of all this is that while Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Honda, etc. created new makes (brands) for the luxury car market, DAG has taken a different track. They began with a luxury only make, but now are selling "less expensive" and much less equipped vehicles as M-B's to compete with the other car companies. Not talking about smart as that is something entirely different.

What surprises me is how sensitive and reactionary some people can become over just the hint that an M-B product may be less than the best.
........... ok whatever makes you happy
Old 02-01-2018, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine

Yes, you are right, Lincoln was its own brand before Ford took over. But for everything else you are DEAD WRONG.

I just hope you are not a real Military Veteran.

And go buy you a Huyndai and go away from this forum.

Last edited by Arrie; 02-01-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just hope you are not a real Military Veteran.

About as real as you can get. 26 years service, two wars and service connected injuries. Verified by the people here who posted the Veterans tag.
AIRBORNE!

Last edited by El Cid; 02-03-2018 at 04:08 PM.
tresean1 (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I am trying to keep perspective on this El Cid but being a veteran is not giving you the right to be troll on this topic. You earned "Veteran" badge on this forum, so did Plutoe and in case you did not notice that >>> this is not recommended company.
Still can't deny that you are trolling here and just to go along with trolling, here is one more link to add http://www.autoguide.com/car-compari...ld.org20180202
Old 02-03-2018, 10:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
E550
Motor Trend tends to make comparisons like the one you're referring to. Here's one from the past although it doesn't involve a MB.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/m...m3-comparison/

To each his own I guess. Personally, I'm happy with my car.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs down Look in The mirror

Originally Posted by kajtek1
I am trying to keep perspective on this El Cid but being a veteran is not giving you the right to be troll on this topic. You earned "Veteran" badge on this forum, so did Plutoe and in case you did not notice that >>> this is not recommended company.
Still can't deny that you are trolling here and just to go along with trolling, here is one more link to add http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2018-audi-sq5-vs-mercedes-amg-glc-43-comparison-test?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Benzworld.org_n ew-content-unsold&utm_source=Benzworld.org20180202
First, your comments re: my being a veteran are totally misconstrued. I never brought up my veteran status, but was replying to Arrie implying that I am not a real veteran.
As for "Plutoe....>>>this is not recommended company," sorry I missed that so I do not understand the relevance.
Second, I am NOT the troll. I merely posted information relative to a Motor Trend article. Read my first post. After that, I began to respond to attacks on me.
Third, I did not state that the Genesis G90 was superior to the "S" Class, only that MT thought it was a "challenger" (their word) to the "S" Class and would do a comparison in the future. I did point out that the G90 has some positive aspects that M-B needs to consider, such as reliability, safety features without having to purchase expensive option packages, better infotainment, etc. Same things MT noted.

Last edited by El Cid; 02-04-2018 at 10:18 AM.
tresean1 (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Hyundai
Old 02-04-2018, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

????????????

Originally Posted by Airmousam
Hyundai
?????????? This is a discussion about the Genesis G90, not a Hyundai vehicle. Entirely different vehicles.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 141 Likes on 105 Posts
2010 E550
Second, I am NOT the troll.

Posted 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM
The warranties on MB's are only for four years. Now if it was a Kia or a Hyundai, it would still be under warranty.
You've been peddling Hyundai for over 3 years on the forums. I just happened to see this because someone resurrected a dead thread, couldn't help but chuckle.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wrong Again

Originally Posted by Peachy
Posted 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM

You've been peddling Hyundai for over 3 years on the forums. I just happened to see this because someone resurrected a dead thread, couldn't help but chuckle.
You ever get tired of being W R O N G? I haven't been "peddling" Hyundai or any other brand at all. What I have been "peddling" is that M-B needs to step up and really be "The Best or Nothing." M-B should have the longest warranty in the business and it does not. That was the rationale for the 3.5 year old post you cited. M-B does not even come close to Hyundai and Kia, two very maligned makes on this forum. Why not???
Just look at all the posts on this and other M-B threads about failures both under warranty and out of warranty. Note how many say dealer and MBUSA both say not covered even during warranty period. Or the problems they have in getting it repaired. Don't say it happens to Kia and Hyundai owners, because I know different.

You really are a TROLL aren't you. Definition of Troll: "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument."
That would be you and a few others. I merely posted an informational piece from one of the leading automotive magazines that specifically addressed the M-B "S" Class. This in turn relates to M-B in general.

You guys then jumped my A$$ without even attempting to understand my post or the article.
Methinks your egos are so weak and your lack of confidence in choosing an M-B causes an immediate silly and unfounded post.
Suggest you go the below MB World forum. The "S" Class guys show a whole lot more class than you and some others here show. While some disagree with my post, for the most part they have rationale explanations. More importantly they don't viciously attack me nor malign my patriotism or service to my country.
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...allengers.html

Please note: I am still driving my 2010 "E" Class and am pleased enough that I plan to keep it until 2020, if not longer.

Last edited by El Cid; 02-04-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
You ever get tired of being W R O N G? I haven't been "peddling" Hyundai or any other brand at all. What I have been "peddling" is that M-B needs to step up and really be "The Best or Nothing." M-B should have the longest warranty in the business and it does not. That was the rationale for the 3.5 year old post you cited. M-B does not even come close to Hyundai and Kia, two very maligned makes on this forum. Why not???
Just look at all the posts on this and other M-B threads about failures both under warranty and out of warranty. Note how many say dealer and MBUSA both say not covered even during warranty period. Or the problems they have in getting it repaired. Don't say it happens to Kia and Hyundai owners, because I know different.

You really are a TROLL aren't you. Definition of Troll: "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument."
That would be you and a few others. I merely posted an informational piece from one of the leading automotive magazines that specifically addressed the M-B "S" Class. This in turn relates to M-B in general.

You guys then jumped my A$$ without even attempting to understand my post or the article.
Methinks your egos are so weak and your lack of confidence in choosing an M-B causes an immediate silly and unfounded post.

Please note: I am still driving my 2010 "E" Class and am pleased enough that I plan to keep it until 2020, if not longer.
The quote from your post to me "You obviously do not have an understanding of what makes a car make (brand) or how automobile companies are organized and vehicles actually manufactured" makes you a 100% troll in my eyes. And I said I hope you are not a real military veteran as real veterans are with decent behavior and don't start suggestions of what people are or know when they don't. You have no smallest glue who you are talking to, period. I have extensive experience in the field of engineering and manufacturing and certainly know what it takes to make cars or other products too. And with this I know for sure Genesis did not just appear from zero as its own brand after being one of Huyndai car models.

You live in your fantasy world and I and some other in ours. I think ours is closer to the truth.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 141 Likes on 105 Posts
2010 E550
The single, only reason I have owned Mercedes vehicles is because it's actually cheaper for me to own one than a Honda. My father runs an independently owned and operated Mercedes service shop. I get most of my maintenance/repairs for free. He's going to retire in a few years and I'll be ditching my Mercedes for something way more affordable.

My father also tells me a lot of stories about the Mercedes cars he has to deal with and I am well aware that there are many Mercedes models that are junk.

Let's try to get ON topic then. As this forum is a W212 forum.

Why did you choose your E350 at the time instead of the Hyundai/Genesis equivalent?
Why are you pleased enough with it currently that you plan on keeping it at least 2 more years?

Last edited by Peachy; 02-04-2018 at 06:32 PM.
El Cid (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wrong again

The quote from your post to me "You obviously do not have an understanding of what makes a car make (brand) or how automobile companies are organized and vehicles actually manufactured" makes you a 100% troll in my eyes. And I said I hope you are not a real military veteran as real veterans are with decent behavior and don't start suggestions of what people are or know when they don't. You have no smallest glue who you are talking to, period. I have extensive experience in the field of engineering and manufacturing and certainly know what it takes to make cars or other products too. And with this I know for sure Genesis did not just appear from zero as its own brand after being one of Huyndai car models.

You live in your fantasy world and I and some other in ours. I think ours is closer to the truth.
Please see my edited post that you quoted re: the class of the "S" Class forum members to understand where you are just plain wrong and a troll.

As I said before you obviously do not understand the automobile industry. Calling me a troll does not change that.

Your confusing comment re: "real military veterans" doesn't even make sense. Regardless, it appears to be another insult. Every veteran I know makes comments or suggestions re: what people know or understand. Please note, I was responding to your comment which indicated to me that you lacked a full understanding of the automotive industry. Incidentally, I assume you are not a veteran. I didn't start this argument, you and others did. I am merely responding to what you post and defend myself and position. The motto of the US Army is; " This we'll defend." So, I'm defending.

You are correct that I do not have "smallest glue," whatever that is. You may have worked in engineering and manufacturing, but that still does not mean you understand how automotive companies are organized and function. The guy on the back of the garbage truck works in sanitation and transportation.
You are correct that Genesis "did not just appear from zero." You said: "...after being one of Hyundai car models." They were actually two car models. The G90 began as the Equus and the G80 began as the Hyundai Genesis. However, the Hyundai corporation separated them from Hyundai and spent considerable time and resources in developing them as a brand (make). They also spent many millions changing them from Hyundai vehicles to Genesis vehicles. They are considerably different in the way they are built and how they are marketed and supported.
Incidentally, you misspelled Hyundai.

Under your theory, a Cadillac is a Chevrolet; a Lexus is a Toyota; an Audi is a Volkswagen, etc. While Audi used to be a separate make it has been a part of VW long enough that under your theory it is a VW.

You said: "You live in your fantasy world and I and some other in ours. I think ours is closer to the truth." I will agree that you live in a fantasy world all of your own. Unfortunately it is not closer to the truth.

Let me add again; I am by God and the President of the United States "a real military veteran." 26 years, two wars and multiple injuries.
Airborne All The Way!

Last edited by El Cid; 02-04-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Peachy
The single, only reason I have owned Mercedes vehicles is because it's actually cheaper for me to own one than a Honda. My father runs an independently owned and operated Mercedes service shop. I get most of my maintenance/repairs for free. He's going to retire in a few years and I'll be ditching my Mercedes for something way more affordable.

Let's try to get ON topic then. As this forum is a W212 forum.

Why did you choose your E350 at the time instead of the Hyundai/Genesis equivalent?
Why are you pleased enough with it currently that you plan on keeping it at least 2 more years?

I test drove the Hyundai Genesis in 2009 and it wasn't quite what I wanted. Also extensively test drove Lexus ES and LS, Audi A4 and A6, Acura TL and RL, etc. While I like the direction Genesis is taking with both the G80 and G90, I am not locked into buying a Genesis or any other make in 2020.

To some degree, the star on the hood of an M-B was a definite factor, and the "E" Class was the most reliable car M-B made. Mostly I just really liked the interior and exterior styling and still do. I like the car and hopefully after all the warranty work in past it won't have problems for another two years. Also, repairs are much cheaper (even M-B ones) than car payments.

The 2020 models across the spectrum of cars will hopefully be improved over today's. I will test drive multiple models from multiple makes (brands).Genesis will be one, but it may not be the one I purchase. Heck, I may even decide to keep my "E."
As a woman said to me one day " That is the most beautiful car I have ever seen."

My original posting of the article was because it was relevant to M-B models as well as the "S" Class. Many "E" Class owners aspire to being "S" Class owners. Also many of the pros and cons of the "S" Class will apply to the "E" as well. As I said, it was informational. What MT said, not me.

Last edited by El Cid; 02-04-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
40 replies and that mess that belongs in different bin is still here.
With lack of moderation the only way to kill it is stop responding.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2

Last edited by Airmousam; 02-06-2018 at 06:39 AM.