MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Educate Me (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/703324-educate-me.html)

ArmyChief 04-02-2018 08:06 AM

Educate Me

Whats up mbworld! Im new to the mb world. Coming from the bimmer world, and Im going to purchase a e class within the next weeks, no more than 35k is the budget. Whats the best e class for my budget? What options should i be looking for? Im in Ohio so im looking for their awd too. Reason im going from bimmers to mb, is from everything ive read is they are just a more reliable vehicle. Whats the road noise like in an e class? I have so many questions that the search only helps so much.

dbldpr 04-02-2018 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyChief (Post 7419671)
Whats up mbworld! Im new to the mb world. Coming from the bimmer world, and Im going to purchase a e class within the next weeks, no more than 35k is the budget. Whats the best e class for my budget? What options should i be looking for? Im in Ohio so im looking for their awd too. Reason im going from bimmers to mb, is from everything ive read is they are just a more reliable vehicle. Whats the road noise like in an e class? I have so many questions that the search only helps so much.

E class has quite a bit of road noise. MB did not spend money insulating. Good new is you can install sound deadening yourself for about $100 and your time. One of the worst cars I have owned for road noise until I installed sound deadening.material

ArmyChief 04-02-2018 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 7419689)
E class has quite a bit of road noise. MB did not spend money insulating. Good new is you can install sound deadening yourself for about $100 and your time. One of the worst cars I have owned for road noise until I installed sound deadening.material

where did you install the sound deadening material location wise?

dbldpr 04-02-2018 09:11 AM

Used foil insulated tape all over the inside bottom of trunk where spare is. Also took underside felt covers off on both sides of underside of car and sprayed them with sound deadening spray then reinstalled. Made quite a difference. Dealer service people say it is one of the quietest cars they work on.

dbldpr 04-02-2018 09:27 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...376ef1baab.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...599b3c8d26.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...379a9523bb.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e8ed46d59b.jpg

ArmyChief 04-02-2018 11:25 AM

much appreciated. Ill look into this. Random question, why do e classes of the same year have different front ends? Some have the emblem on the hood some in the grill.

kajtek1 04-02-2018 11:40 AM

Thanks for making the page 2 feet long (so far).
I don't complain about noise in E class and with newer cars I actually missed the engine sound, Some people cut mufflers and weld cross pipes to get more noise.
W212 have prelift and post lift models, where change was about 2013. Than grilles have different designs on different markets, so you will see big variety. That is a good thing, isn't it?

dbldpr 04-02-2018 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyChief (Post 7419831)

much appreciated. Ill look into this. Random question, why do e classes of the same year have different front ends? Some have the emblem on the hood some in the grill.

Hood ornament means luxury Grill emblem means sport model. You can put a hood ornament on the hood of a sport without changing the hood but you cannot put the grill emblem in a luxury unless you change out the grill

DFWdude 04-02-2018 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyChief (Post 7419671)

Check your Private Messages...

raja777m 04-02-2018 01:52 PM

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=E350

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=MBE400

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=MBE400

Here are few sample and most probably they will be under warranty to purchase MB ELW (4yr/50kMiles). The ones I filtered have Driver Assist packages (Distronic Plus).

I own a 350 ICE, but E400 is a turbocharged and here other people can share their experience.

ArmyChief 04-02-2018 03:06 PM

Is there anything on a used E class, i should be attentive to? What's the overall reliability seem to everyone?

KEY08 04-02-2018 03:15 PM

If properly maintained they are very reliable. If you drive them like a Honda and go way past the maintenance schedules because they "feel fine", then you can get burned. Parts can be expensive and you need to remember these are $60,000 plus cars to begin with and not a $24,000 Accord. For me, the E class is a car that does a lot of things better than a lot of other cars out there. Solid, safe, and eat up the road with no drama.

ArmyChief 04-02-2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7420124)
If properly maintained they are very reliable. If you drive them like a Honda and go way past the maintenance schedules because they "feel fine", then you can get burned. Parts can be expensive and you need to remember these are $60,000 plus cars to begin with and not a $24,000 Accord. For me, the E class is a car that does a lot of things better than a lot of other cars out there. Solid, safe, and eat up the road with no drama.

If you were buying an e class today and knowing what u know now about these cars, what would u do differently? Is there an option package that i should look out for? Is there a difference much between the 13,14,15 model years? Im in the car for about 75 miles a day. Things like a good stereo is a must to me.

raja777m 04-02-2018 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyChief (Post 7420131)

If you were buying an e class today and knowing what u know now about these cars, what would u do differently? Is there an option package that i should look out for? Is there a difference much between the 13,14,15 model years? Im in the car for about 75 miles a day. Things like a good stereo is a must to me.

14 and above are facelift models (single headlight component).
1. Try to get Lightning package.
2. Distronic Plus (have adaptive cruise control etc. ) [1], [2]
3. Multi-contour seat is something you'll don't notice once you have it, but you'll remember when driving a car without it, but don't sweat on it.
4. Parktronic and/or 360 camera is a very nice option.

[1] https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7417087
[2] https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/safety

baybombers 04-02-2018 08:30 PM

I agree with the list of options Raja listed. The lighting package is a must have IMO.

Oda112 04-02-2018 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 7419689)

I thought I was the only one noticing that. I have a BMW E60 in Europe and that thing is noticeably quieter at speed than the W212.

aquinob 04-03-2018 07:52 AM

While I don't have one, lots of folks here will tell you to go for a V8 version as the gas mileage isnt that bad but the car is much faster. If you are used to German engineering, then you already know about keeping up with maintenance. Newer 6 cyl engines are direct injected, more power, but plug changes are not easy since they are buried under the manifold.

4 matic cars tend to be more problematic. So if you want to keep it simple, stick with 2wd. Also cars with air suspensions have been known to have their issues.

dbldpr 04-03-2018 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by aquinob (Post 7420673)
While I don't have one, lots of folks here will tell you to go for a V8 version as the gas mileage isnt that bad but the car is much faster. If you are used to German engineering, then you already know about keeping up with maintenance. Newer 6 cyl engines are direct injected, more power, but plug changes are not easy since they are buried under the manifold.

4 matic cars tend to be more problematic. So if you want to keep it simple, stick with 2wd. Also cars with air suspensions have been known to have their issues.

ON my V6 on road trips I get about 35 mpg. Best vehicle I ever had for mileage. I get about 18 city driving. it is a gas car not a diesel

KEY08 04-03-2018 08:47 AM

I want to do a drive-along with you to see how that’s possible. I can get close to 27 in my TT V8 on the highway, but I really need to watch the speed. I’ve only owned V8 E class cars, because I enjoy having power and torque available. Mpg is not a priority with me. I think my Shelby is lucky to get 12 mpg. Ha!

dbldpr 04-03-2018 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7420699)
I want to do a drive-along with you to see how that’s possible. I can get close to 27 in my TT V8 on the highway, but I really need to watch the speed. I’ve only owned V8 E class cars, because I enjoy having power and torque available. Mpg is not a priority with me. I think my Shelby is lucky to get 12 mpg. Ha!

That's pretty good for the Shelby. Wish I had it. Going to and from Myrtle beach I got 35 mpg. Next time I go I will take picture of the reading and will send it to you. That is going about 70-75mph on cruise most of the time. No heavy foot while on vacation. The wife's Cadillac deville V8 would get about 27 mpg highway and about 16 city.

kajtek1 04-03-2018 11:22 AM

I am getting 60 mpg on my diesel driven at highway speeds.
About 40-45 mpg in mixed driving, or cruising above 80 mph.
When you buy used car, you choices are limited, so make a list of priorities.
I wanted white car and ended with black one. But I did not want to spend $30k+ for better selection.

KEY08 04-03-2018 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by kajtek1 (Post 7420805)
I am getting 60 mpg on my diesel driven at highway speeds.
About 40-45 mpg in mixed driving, or cruising above 80 mph.
When you buy used car, you choices are limited, so make a list of priorities.
I wanted white car and ended with black one. But I did not want to spend $30k+ for better selection.

Wow! That's amazing. Maybe in the future I will get one of these MB diesels and cruise the states. That is incredible mpg.

ArmyChief 04-03-2018 01:20 PM

What is everyones number one option they regret not looking just a little longer for? Maybe a cheaper 550? A certain package like the PO2? Maybe getting the luxury over the sport, or vice versa. Is the base stereo good enough?

jahquan3 04-03-2018 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7420699)

On a side note I was going to ask about you profile pic. That's awesome and is one of my dream cars...Congrats. So between that and the 550 you really do have "The Best or Nothing"

KEY08 04-03-2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyChief (Post 7420948)
What is everyones number one option they regret not looking just a little longer for? Maybe a cheaper 550? A certain package like the PO2? Maybe getting the luxury over the sport, or vice versa. Is the base stereo good enough?

If you could stretch to a 2014 E550 TTV8, you will get leather interior and other options that find their way onto these more expensive E class cars. Mine is loaded and had a MSRP close to $80K. The TTV8 federal mpg numbers are only 1-2 mpg different from the V6, but the difference in performance is unreal. Plus you can tune it very cheaply to 550-600 HP if you are up for that. Distronic plus is a must for me and the lighting package. Dynamic seats with massage, 360 camera, and Parktronic. The 2014 facelifted E550 is a unicorn. The face lift version of the E550 was only made for one year. Find one and buy it if you can.
With regards to the stereo, it is a Harmon Kardon and is okay. I am not a stereo guy and I know real music aficionados complain about all MB stereo systems. I'm either on the phone or listening to baseball. LOL