E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Fan running when car off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 convertible
Fan running when car off

I just observed my E550 having what I believe to be a fan(near the radiator) run long after the car has been turned off. Yesterday was the 1st observation but it seems its ran for hours. Crazy
Old 05-22-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E350T Bluetec
Originally Posted by bpi58
I just observed my E550 having what I believe to be a fan(near the radiator) run long after the car has been turned off. Yesterday was the 1st observation but it seems its ran for hours. Crazy
Do you have the multibeam LED lights? Those have fans to keep them cool. Usually they are kept running for a bit, or until you lock the car.
Are you sure it's the radiator fan?

Regards.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 convertible
Fan running when car off

No Im not certain(yes I do have multibeam light)s but I thought the radiator overflow reservoir was extremely hot (since the car had been off for hours)so I just assumed. Thanks for the reply. I will investigate more this evening.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2010 Mercedes E550 4matic Sport P2, Driver Assistant, Night Vision, Parktronic and Panorama Sunroof
No Im not certain(yes I do have multibeam light)s but I thought the radiator overflow reservoir was extremely hot (since the car had been off for hours)so I just assumed. Thanks for the reply. I will investigate more this evening.
I have 2010 E550 with Bi-Xenons and my fans stay on after the car is turned off for awhile after I drive around with the beams on
Old 05-22-2018, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by Lolxa
I have 2010 E550 with Bi-Xenons and my fans stay on after the car is turned off for awhile after I drive around with the beams on
Your radiator fan continues running? That’s weird. The LED fans will run for some time depending on conditions to cool the heat sinks. They are small cpu type cooling fans and make a distinctive whirring noise.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
This may help: I recall as far back as 2013, some E-class owners were reporting a fan noise continuing to run well after the car had been turned off. There seemed to be two opinions: 1 - it was an evaporator fan to help remove residual moisture in the air conditioner lines; or 2 - it was a cooling fan for the active bi-xenon light system. I had this noise on my 2014 E350 w/bi-xenon, and my dealer told me in 2014 and again in 2015 that it was a normal condition. For the first 3 years, the fan would run until I locked the car. During the past 7-8 months, the fan ran for a longer time; even after I locked the car. In May, my battery died and was replaced under warranty; I wondered if the fan running was the cause.
Last month I sold the car to guy in town. As I had advised him before the sale, he soon noticed the fan running a long time and my suggestion to lock the car did not solve his concern. So, he took the car into the dealer 2 weeks ago to examine this issue. This time the dealer applied some type of new software update to the car's lighting system data, and his fan problem has now been corrected.