MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   44K Fuel System Cleaner (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/710156-44k-fuel-system-cleaner.html)

nc211 06-08-2018 11:00 AM

44K Fuel System Cleaner

dealership sells this stuff at the parts counter. Anybody ever use it before? Like it? Snake oil?

Bahnstormer 06-08-2018 11:04 AM

I use Chevron Techron.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7170ed3fa.jpeg

nc211 06-08-2018 11:25 AM

I’ve used GumOut with PEA before on the VW (direct injection as well), and did the same on this Benz about 8k miles ago. Just curious if 44K is better stuff since dealships seem to all sell them. I had a stall issue on the VW around 10k (at 42k now). Dealership basically poured a bottle of 44k in it and has run well ever since.

Started the Benz this morning, and after a minute or two of just sitting in my driveway, it “hiccuped”. Thinking fuel related.

kajtek1 06-08-2018 11:52 AM

Never used any fuel cleaner for last 25 years and we buy fuel at the cheapest stations.
That said, California fuels do have lot of cleaners and other environmental stuff in them straight from refinery. Las Vegas is getting fuel from CA, but each time I had a chance to fill up gaser in AZ, my mpg skyrocket.

VegasE 06-08-2018 08:36 PM

Snake oil. Tests have shown that fuel additives to "clean" the fuel system are not very effective because you need more than one tank of gas to have any significant effect. Generic toluene is the most effective and cheapest. AAA did a study recently and found that folks who use Top Tier gas have 90% fewer deposits than no-name gas because of superior additives. California is an exception because, by law, all gas sold in the state must have additives that meet a BMW-based cleaning specification.

While it is true that all gas sold in Vegas is piped from California, additives to gas are inserted into the tanker truck, not the pipeline. So, as often reported, almost all gas sold in various localities comes from the same pipe - the additives for each brand's tanker trucks is different. Some no name gas in Vegas has no additives. I have a friend who is a gas tanker driver.

kajtek1 06-09-2018 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by VegasE (Post 7474393)

While it is true that all gas sold in Vegas is piped from California, additives to gas are inserted into the tanker truck, not the pipeline. So, as often reported, almost all gas sold in various localities comes from the same pipe - the additives for each brand's tanker trucks is different. Some no name gas in Vegas has no additives. I have a friend who is a gas tanker driver.

Good point.
Fortunately only my roadster has gasoline engine while diesels can take bad fuel.
But tomorrow I am starting boating season and alcohol can do bad trick on boat engines. Pumps stickers say "up to 10% alcohol"
Will see how it goes.

nc211 06-13-2018 12:38 PM

I ended up just buying two GumOut with PEA fuel system cleaners and poured both into the tank and filled. I must admit, a very noticeable and nice difference so far (¼ tank used). 2 can treat up to 50 gallons. One thing I’ve noticed is much smoother shifting for whatever reason. I was getting a stuttering feeling while in a gear on mild acceleration (not when shifting). That’s about 90% gone now. I think the ethanol has a negative impact on this engine moreso others, maybe more sensitive to it. I also assume the first owner (lease) probably didn’t spend the extra money for the premium fuel and just used 87 for 3 years and 21k miles.

Im getting ready to road trip from DC to Chicago in it. Looking forward to blowing it out a bit.

kajtek1 06-13-2018 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by nc211 (Post 7477828)
. One thing I’ve noticed is much smoother shifting for whatever reason.

Placebo effect.
Now vacuum car carpets and you notice big acceleration increase.

nc211 06-13-2018 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1 (Post 7478162)
Placebo effect.
Now vacuum car carpets and you notice big acceleration increase.

Ha!

I’d like to agree with you, but I can’t. The car is running extremely smooth at this point, seems a lot less effort to get it going. Because of that, I’m not having to push it as hard to get up to speed, which is translating into the shifting not being under increased load.

But probably will be back to normal on the next tank of gas!

VegasE 06-14-2018 11:34 AM

It might be placebo but my cars always seemed to run a little better with an extra slug of Techron. However, effecting tranny performance makes no sense. I have often wondered if cleaners act as an octane booster and that is the effect we feel.

belarus27 06-14-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by nc211 (Post 7478222)

Ha!

I’d like to agree with you, but I can’t. The car is running extremely smooth at this point, seems a lot less effort to get it going. Because of that, I’m not having to push it as hard to get up to speed, which is translating into the shifting not being under increased load.

But probably will be back to normal on the next tank of gas!

ive used techron and stp (if i remember correctly) and yes , it does feel more effortless and smooth , even felt like i reseted my tranny , it ran so smooth...
It goes away after a refill , unfortunately.

i dont know if it actually does any good... but i do it here n there.
125k miles.

Zavato 06-16-2018 08:04 PM

It's a well known fact that clean cars run smoother!!

Johnny Rad 06-17-2018 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Zavato (Post 7480817)
It's a well known fact that clean cars run smoother!!

A clean car is a fast car.