MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   2011 e 350 oil change (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/712598-2011-e-350-oil-change.html)

oh boy 07-01-2018 10:59 PM

2011 e 350 oil change

when i use top suction only 4 plus qts removed

huewish 07-02-2018 07:52 AM

I use top suction as well, but you have to have the tube down the dipstick port perfectly. Measure it to the exact level of your dipstick before placing it in, and you'll be able to get it all out. If it goes too far and bends, you'll only be able to get a little more than half out.

2 EURO 07-02-2018 12:41 PM

I just did an oil change on mine using the oil extractor. You more than likely don't have the tube all the way done.

Mud 07-02-2018 03:29 PM

I have a rubber plug that I use to plug the top of the dipstick tube while using the oil extractor. Plug has a hole for the extractor tube. I did that on advice here and it helped with the suction.
Every other change I drain from the pan, amount is about the same either way. It just gives me a chance to look around underneath the car.

belarus27 07-02-2018 06:13 PM

Remember reading on here that it could be the tube not inserted all the way in like others mentioned

oh boy 07-04-2018 04:43 PM

suction line is marked to dipstick length,when it sounds like a grandkid sucking on a straw,i move it up or down to get last oil.have a jabsco unit i use for my houseboat ,i/o speedboat,other toys and it works fine.m/b 350 has a dry sump,if you check oil right after driving dipstick is bone dry,if you open oil filler cap in a few minutes oil reads on dipstick.i would guess there are baffles in oil pan also,i am not new to working on vehicles .possibly a thinner more ridgid tube ?

Arrie 07-04-2018 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by oh boy (Post 7494532)
suction line is marked to dipstick length,when it sounds like a grandkid sucking on a straw,i move it up or down to get last oil.have a jabsco unit i use for my houseboat ,i/o speedboat,other toys and it works fine.m/b 350 has a dry sump,if you check oil right after driving dipstick is bone dry,if you open oil filler cap in a few minutes oil reads on dipstick.i would guess there are baffles in oil pan also,i am not new to working on vehicles .possibly a thinner more ridgid tube ?

Something does not add up here. I also had a 2011 E350 as my first brand new Mercedes. I check my engine oil at every fill-up and the process is I pull the hood latch open, exit the car and start the gas pumping and while this is going on I check the oil level. I don't give it any extra time and every time oil is there and there is no need for opening oil filler cap which is a silly thought anyway as it just vents the crank case anyway.

Are you sure you were not just that low on oil that caused the amount coming out so low?

MBNUT1 07-04-2018 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by oh boy (Post 7494532)

I pretty sure that the E350 doesn't have a dry sump. Dry sumps are reserved for cars like 911's etc

oh boy 07-04-2018 09:36 PM

thanks,Arrie for your reply.Also bought car new.As far as oil being that low,i believe you would get a warning light far before 4,5 qts low .Also after sucking out what i thought was all the oil i added 7 qts mobil 1.Dipstick was way overfill.so i sucked out all the oil i could again.This time i added oil 1 qt at a time checking each time Full after four plus qts.Wish i could see a schematic of the internals of the oil pan.I believe breather caps were eliminated late 60s for clean air legislation.Oil filler caps are not vented

oh boy 07-04-2018 09:56 PM

MBNUT1.i am sure you are correct,thats what I was told by the salesman who sold me the car back in 2011.Ijust threw it out there because Im grasping at straws to come to a solution to my problem.It is frustrating because I gave the car to my daughter,she lives 200 miles away so i dont see it everyday to keep it right

Arrie 07-04-2018 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by oh boy (Post 7494663)
thanks,Arrie for your reply.Also bought car new.As far as oil being that low,i believe you would get a warning light far before 4,5 qts low .Also after sucking out what i thought was all the oil i added 7 qts mobil 1.Dipstick was way overfill.so i sucked out all the oil i could again.This time i added oil 1 qt at a time checking each time Full after four plus qts.Wish i could see a schematic of the internals of the oil pan.I believe breather caps were eliminated late 60s for clean air legislation.Oil filler caps are not vented

Oil filler caps are not vented. What I meant is that removing it vents only the crank case, which has nothing to do with oil draining back to the pan.

Is your car a 4-Matic? Is there a raise on the 4-Matic car's oil pan perhaps that does not allow the oil extractor tube to enter the lowest point in the pan?

Mud 07-05-2018 09:39 AM

My 2011 E350 is 4matic and has always done the initial dry dipstick thing. First check shows dry then second check shows oil level. I don't believe these cars have a dry sump, I'm guessing something to do with the dipstick design and/or suction created during operation.
My oil changes, whether using suction or from drain pan have always yielded about 7 qts, never 8. Maybe some left in the crankcase but I typically do 5k changes, not worried about it. When I use the suction method as I said I seal the dipstick tube and I've ensured the plastic line is in to correct depth and oil is at temp. At the end I can hear the gurgling when oil drain is complete, so I think I've gotten what oil is in there.

Arrie 07-05-2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 7494842)
My 2011 E350 is 4matic and has always done the initial dry dipstick thing. First check shows dry then second check shows oil level. I don't believe these cars have a dry sump, I'm guessing something to do with the dipstick design and/or suction created during operation.
My oil changes, whether using suction or from drain pan have always yielded about 7 qts, never 8. Maybe some left in the crankcase but I typically do 5k changes, not worried about it. When I use the suction method as I said I seal the dipstick tube and I've ensured the plastic line is in to correct depth and oil is at temp. At the end I can hear the gurgling when oil drain is complete, so I think I've gotten what oil is in there.

this is odd as in my car the dip stick is covered with oil much higher than the level is when I pull it out. Need to wipe it clean and then measure again to get the correct reading on the stick.

You do do not need to seal the plastic tube to the dip stick tube when you insert the plastic tube all the way to the bottom of the oil pan. Some folks in this forum claim that they do not use plastic tube all the way inside the engine. Instead they seal the tube to the top of the dip stick tube and suck oil out and all oil comes out. This would mean that their dip stick tube runs all the way to the bottom of the oil pan.

If you use above method then you need to seal to the dip stick tube. I did this once but got only about half of the oil out as obviously my dip stick tube does not run all the way to the bottom of the oil pan but MB may have changed this to make their oil changes easier

My my car is a 2010 model and I have never seen a dry or low dip stick but I do remember that with my 2011 E350 I got a low oil level reading with the stick if I pulled it out too quickly after first cleaning it and then inserting it for the measurement. That car could have dip stick tube that runs to the bottom of the oil pan or very lose to it.

Mud 07-05-2018 12:03 PM

Arrie, I appreciate what you're saying, it's just strange to me that for some reason it's always been the same with the first dry reading, followed by accurate level reading. I do wait a few seconds on the second reading to be sure oil has filled whatever recess the dipstick goes into.
Sealing the tube helps yield drain results a bit faster but I generally get the same amount out regardless.
You'd think with identical engine production these results would be the same. I always look to myself first - what did I overlook, but after almost 3 years with this car the process has never varied. Obviously no harm has been done but I just don't have a good answer to why the difference.
I think you had mentioned it would be great to see actual oil pan internals - I agree!
Edit - I decided to find some images to see where that dipstick tube ends up, also want to find image of dipstick. Maybe theres a narrow section at lower end, dunno.

Oda112 07-06-2018 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 7494842)

I subscribe to what Mud said. Religiously, the first reading is 0, the second, 3rd, 4th, etc. show the actual oil level. My guess is that the dip stick has it's own chamber with a pin hole towards the bottom of the pan, lower than the actual oil level would be. That design allows for accurate readings and minimizes the chance of excessive pressure in the crankcase driving the oil up the dipstick tube and possible oil leaks around the top of it. There might also be a lever mechanism closing that pin hole while the dipstick is fully inserted, thus explaining the initial null reading. Arrie, yours might be broken. Change my mind if you have a different story. Also, OP, your initial post is at best vague. You're lucky these guys like talking about oil, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten any responses.

oh boy 07-06-2018 08:00 PM

Thank you ODA112 and MUD for confirming the initial dry dipstick condition on oil check right after driving ..Scared the hell out of me first time I checked my oil,one week after purchase and 300 miles on car.I was about to go ballistic on Zimbrick M/B of Madison ,Wi.Came back a bit later and like magic I had oil.