MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   How many here use one of these? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/713305-how-many-here-use-one-these.html)

DFWdude 07-09-2018 12:49 PM

How many here use one of these?

Here is Texas, the primary problem with car finishes (between the occasional rains) is dust and pollens. I bought one of these California Dusters with my first Mercedes 17 years ago. I still have my original one, and swear by it.

https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2268_401224634

For quick dust and other minor accumulations, it works wonders. Even when I think my car is pristine, I can pass this over the finish and I'm amazed to discover how much junk it picks-up. I can do the whole car in under 5-minutes, and it doesn't seem to affect the finish at all.

You can find them at several places, now. Be sure to get the "Original California Duster" that comes in it's own pouch. It protects the mop from picking up unnecessary stuff, and it contains what you have wiped up on the fibers, so you can just store it in the trunk... Great prep tool for when you're going to a car meet... https://www.autogeek.net/orcacardupha.htmlproductid=orcacardupha&channelid= BIZRA

KEY08 07-09-2018 01:00 PM

Ha, yeah I have tried that waxy thing a few years ago and sold it in a garage sale. It is worthless on any surface that is not horizontal to the Earth plus I always felt I was tearing up the finish. It is best used at Mecum auctions. LOL

DFWdude 07-09-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7497780)
Ha, yeah I have tried that waxy thing a few years ago and sold it in a garage sale. It is worthless on any surface that is not horizontal to the Earth plus I always felt I was tearing up the finish. It is best used at Mecum auctions. LOL

Funny you mention where it's best used, because I think it really shines on the vertical surfaces. For me, it works a peach getting the dust within the sculpting of the Sport side skirts, and on the vertical rear of the car (bumper, twin exhaust facia, and rear spoiler, etc). As I get older, I don't bend over to wipe surfaces with a rag anymore.

I stopped worrying about tearing up the finish when I found it useful on window glass, too. It picks up 100% of the dust on the glass, and leaves no residue at all that you can see from inside the car. So I reasoned it can't possibly damage the paint.

I don't use it on the wheels. But everything else is fair game.

cetialpha5 07-09-2018 05:19 PM

I bought one of those things years ago. Probably in storage somewhere. The problem here is you get all sorts of bird droppings and other larger items aside from pollen so I never really got into using it.

hafferf 07-09-2018 06:34 PM

DFWdude I concur..... I've had mine more years than I care to admit, and use it plenty. And like you.... I'm gettin' too "Long in th' Tooth" to be doin' a lot of bending when I don't need too.....
Be Well
Fred

AkaSigFreak 07-09-2018 09:54 PM

I have had one for years and I do use it when it's appropriate. If I look at my car and see tree sap and bird droppings all over it- I don't use it. I guess common sense needs to be included in the directions.

Peachy 07-10-2018 12:45 AM

I have one of these, I use it almost everyday cause it's really dusty where I park. Makes my time in between car washes last much longer.

kajtek1 07-10-2018 01:09 AM

Been using California duster for couple of decades, but for me main goal is to put cars into garage as where I have been living, the sun is worse enemy.
Very often I scratch my head when I see MB younger than my models and clear coat badly curling.
The owners usually keep $500 worth of crap in garage.
I heard that ostrich brush works well too.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....PL._SX425_.jpg

huewish 07-10-2018 08:29 AM

I live in Dallas and keep one of those in my trunk. Between that and Quick Detail, I keep my car spotless between washes. I've used them for about 15 years.

dbldpr 07-10-2018 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7497780)

Last time I used one of those was on my 57 chevy or on one of the bicycles I have. I have it somewhere in the garage. Would never think about using it on a new car finish.

Tump43 07-10-2018 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7497826)
Funny you mention where it's best used, because I think it really shines on the vertical surfaces. For me, it works a peach getting the dust within the sculpting of the Sport side skirts, and on the vertical rear of the car (bumper, twin exhaust facia, and rear spoiler, etc). As I get older, I don't bend over to wipe surfaces with a rag anymore.

I stopped worrying about tearing up the finish when I found it useful on window glass, too. It picks up 100% of the dust on the glass, and leaves no residue at all that you can see from inside the car. So I reasoned it can't possibly damage the paint.

I don't use it on the wheels. But everything else is fair game.

Agreed. I have and use the same one for pollen, etc. Doesn't work for bird droppings, tree sap or other types of abrasive grunge such as the asphalt and highway construction dust I get around here.

PatrixUSA 07-13-2018 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7497764)
I bought one of these California Dusters with my first Mercedes 17 years ago. I still have my original one, and swear by it.

...been using the california duster for over 15 years now also, and also to great success... has to be somewhat low humidity (no marine layer) so the dust is picked up successfully and doesn't just smear - but in ca, on a garaged car, used once every couple of days along with a spray detailer and i can go three or fours weeks without washing, sometimes more - like you, i have my original one and it works great - no spider webbing as long as you use no pressure, just let it glide over a clean but dusty car - and magic - clean and dust free again...

and yeah, like others have posted, for light dusting only, not to be used for any type of heavy dirt or spot removal (bird / bee droppings, pollen / water spots, etc.) - that's what the spray detailer and washing is for.

ps...
you're not allowed to use a california duster in texas... ;-) i kid, i kid... happy dusting...