MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Double Sided Tape Enough For Front Lip? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/717159-double-sided-tape-enough-front-lip.html)

Peachy 08-03-2018 06:52 PM

Double Sided Tape Enough For Front Lip?

Hi, I'm looking for people who have bought a front bumper lip for their car. Is double sided tape enough to hold the lip or will I need to drill?

kajtek1 08-03-2018 07:24 PM

HD sells dual side tape in 3 strengths ratings. The strongest one can really hold.

KEY08 08-03-2018 09:28 PM

Personally, I would not rely on just tape in that area.

Peachy 08-04-2018 02:09 AM

Yeah, the more I think about the more I'm leaning towards drilling. I don't wanna hit something and then get home and discover my lip is gone :B

AkaSigFreak 08-04-2018 09:06 AM

I don't know of any manufacturer that would recommend installing a front lip with tape. Drilling is required due to the amount of air resistance and impacts it will need to endure. You might be able to use the tape for test fitment and then the screws to permanently mount it.

Nicolas Farinas 08-04-2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Peachy (Post 7520197)
Hi, I'm looking for people who have bought a front bumper lip for their car. Is double sided tape enough to hold the lip or will I need to drill?

what lip did you get and where did you get it at?

KEY08 08-04-2018 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 7520566)
I don't know of any manufacturer that would recommend installing a front lip with tape. Drilling is required due to the amount of air resistance and impacts it will need to endure. You might be able to use the tape for test fitment and then the screws to permanently mount it.

Most aftermarket suppliers recommend the install for front spoilers to go exactly like this. Use tape to position it, then drill for mechanical fasteners.

kajtek1 08-04-2018 11:33 AM

I install rear wing with tape and it holds very well.
It all depends how much holding surface you have.
In my RV I have lot of hooks add with tape. Usually original tape (China) gives, but once I replace it with red tape from HD it stays forewer.

Peachy 08-04-2018 12:08 PM

Got this off ebay. "E-Class AMG Sports B Style Front Bumper Lip"

Hasn't come in, will be coming in soon.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6PoAA...nM/s-l1600.jpg

KEY08 08-04-2018 12:20 PM

That is a great looking spoiler/splitter. I have those same side winglets on my Shelby and they are a nice touch. I get the tape attachment for a trunk spoiler as all of the downforce just makes the tape work even better. On a splitter the downforce is your enemy and wants to rip it right off.

kajtek1 08-04-2018 02:57 PM

Check it when arrives. If you have 1/2" holding area you are good.
Putting screws can backfire on you . Those cars scratch curbs very often and you don't want to scratch the curb with screw ;)

rorywquin 08-04-2018 03:06 PM

3M make awesome products - If you prepped the surfaces properly and used the correct 3M automotive tape, I'd be surprised if you had an issue. @those that say screws .....what are you screwing into ...thin plastic --- .5mm or 1 mm thick what is that going to hold?

KEY08 08-04-2018 05:39 PM

You are screwing into plastic with a large anchor. No different than your license plate mount. Who here has there front plate frame mounted with tape? Raise your hand.

Yeah, didn’t think so.

kajtek1 08-04-2018 05:58 PM

Ask me how many lost licence plates I have seen on the roads?

KEY08 08-04-2018 06:33 PM

Even more to the point. Driving is tough business and tape is well,... tape. Most quality custom spoilers will also have areas that bolt into some of the original anchor points under there for the bumper attachment. This is a Mercedes Benz, not a Civic.

LemonSqueezy 08-05-2018 01:40 AM

I say use urethane! Guaranteed it'll never come off!

rorywquin 08-05-2018 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7520894)
You are screwing into plastic with a large anchor. No different than your license plate mount. Who here has there front plate frame mounted with tape? Raise your hand.

Yeah, didn’t think so.

1) It does not matter how 'large' the anchor is if it is screwed into something thin...
2) A number plate is a lot less likely to experience the forces that a splitter will & I have had cars where the plates were held on with DS tape and they do not come off.
3) The main criteria is that there must be enough surface area for the tape and the surfaces must be properly prepped - (eg if there is only a couple of square inches where tape can be used then tape is not a good idea)
4) Maybe he should use both
5) A couple of videos for you --

2020 08-05-2018 08:06 AM

Definetely glue and screw the spoiler. I have installed many of these over the years and even though the tape is very strong some of these start to peel due to the elements but especially from scraping curbs or driveways. The screws go under the car and are not visible.

Nicolas Farinas 08-06-2018 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7520894)

Yeah, didn’t think so.

how does that work? Do you get a ticket if no plate up front? Do you have to get a special bracket from manufacturer? You don't drill in to bumper do you?!?!?!?

KEY08 08-06-2018 10:01 PM

Yes, here in Chicago you will absolutely get a ticket every single time you park your car on the street or a city controlled parking lot (ala airport). MB supplies the front bracket frame that is indeed screwed right into the bumper cover. There are other creative options if you don’t feel like ruining your bumper cover.

kajtek1 08-06-2018 10:06 PM

In California it would be fix-it ticket. You need to fix it and then go to any LEO to sign it off.
The law wasn't really enforced, but now with more and more cruisers having plate-reading cameras you can expect more enforcement.

bigjule 08-09-2018 03:02 AM

I've use double sided twice ..once on my bmw e60.. I taped a roof spoiler and now on my e400 .. same thing ..roof spoiler .. when I sold my e60 I tried taking it off and couldn't.. and being up high with all that highway wind I never had a issue ....

Wookii 08-10-2018 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If it's for the front of the car, screw it in. I did both. Tape is fine for small lip spoilers on the back. Good luck!

Peachy 08-11-2018 06:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 440973

Attachment 440974

So I had to use screws, I used four of them. There was no way the tape was going to work because the lip was actually not the exact shape of the bottom of my bumper so it would've separated itself. I did still use tape though in combination with the screws.

Also if anyone is thinking about buying this lip, it's not really carbon fiber. It's made out of fiber glass and I think they just used carbon fiber vinyl on the visible parts. It's also hollow, I think this actually helps with scraping things but whatever. Definitely overpriced for what it is but people will think its carbon fiber lol.

KEY08 08-11-2018 09:08 PM

You did a great job installing it and I really like that profile. If I still had my 2010 E550 I would get one. When I owned that car there were not many lips available at all.