Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Center Command Knob not aligned >

Center Command Knob not aligned

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Old 08-30-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2010 Mercedes E550 4matic Sport P2, Driver Assistant, Night Vision, Parktronic and Panorama Sunroof

Hello, I have a 2010 Mercedes E550. Recently the common issue of where the Center Command Knob shaft breaks. I went on ebay and purchased a new aluminum shaft to replace the crappy plastic OEM shaft. After doing the installation/replacement it works fine. But after using the knob for a bit (rotating left and right) and I noticed when you turn the wheel you feel the click, but command doesn't respond until you turn until the click then slightly rotate another centimeter or 2 before the command responds such as going to the next song. It only happens if you rotate clockwise. Sometimes the command changes on the click for a brief amount of time then it slowly reverts back to the turn to click then continue turning which has become extremely annoying. I know Im not the best at explaining things but basically its, my command knob doesn't respond on the rotating click, its out of alignment or sync.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 312 Likes on 271 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Since it is an aftermarket part, you may want to question the seller.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 154 Likes on 145 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Maybe its the unit itself thats glitching and not the part u replaced
Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2007 cls550
I did this fix myself a few weeks ago on a C350. I can think of a couple things.

After replacing the shaft the knob slots into the top of it and screws in. I doubt that this is the problem but it would be an easy(ish) check to make sure that was installed right.

Maybe more likely is a pinched wire? That ribbon wire was extremely delicate. I donít know about an E series but the console on the C was over the wire and required me to cut it and splice back together after getting out. There was a lot of stress on the wire to the point of breaking it right next to the unit when pulling it out too.

A good test test would be to remove the trim and pull the unit out again while still connected. This would be a 5min job on a C so I hope it is easy for you. Then use it while moving the wire around at different angles. See if it has a pinch in it somewhere.

Did you do the repair yourself?