Turn signal indicators

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E 350 4-matic
Turn signal indicators

Good morning,
I have a 2011 E350 4-matic, P2, 56,000 miles and I have a simple question. There are turn indicator lights on my outside rearview mirrors. Why has MB designed those indicators so that they are not visible to the person driving the car? I am a longtime Audi driver and they were always visible to the driver, same goes for BMW.
Thanks and have a good day.
Tom
Old 09-03-2018, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by tomse350
Good morning,
I have a 2011 E350 4-matic, P2, 56,000 miles and I have a simple question. There are turn indicator lights on my outside rearview mirrors. Why has MB designed those indicators so that they are not visible to the person driving the car? I am a longtime Audi driver and they were always visible to the driver, same goes for BMW.
Tom
They are not -- and never have been -- designed to be visible to the driver, and actually would be a distraction if they were, especially at night. The turn indicator lights in the mirror -- first debutted in the 2001 C-Class -- are there to be visible to cars trailing behind, and from the side and front at intersections.

Keep in mind these are Euro-Spec AMBER lights (quite bright), compared with the General Motors type RED indicators in the mirror face that are more night vision friendly at night than amber.

The turn indicators in the dash ARE visible to the driver, along with the traditional, audible feedback.

In 2001, VW/Audi and BMW had their amber turn indicators in the fenders, where they could NOT be seen by the driver. It's understandable that during the rush to catch up, Audi and BMW made mistakes in redesigning their mirrors. JMHO.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-03-2018 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tomse350 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E350T Bluetec
Originally Posted by tomse350
Good morning,
Tom
Well... I guess you answered yourself the question (Unless I'm not understanding the question at all)
The turn signal indicators are built to be seen by others (cars, bikers, persons...), so why they should be also seen by the driver?
The driver have two important indicators: The "noise" from the turn signals and also the light blinking arrow at the dashboard and they are more than enough to warn the driver that the turn signal is On.

Could you please elaborate why you feel the necessity of seeing those from inside the car?

The following users liked this post:
tomse350 (09-03-2018)