MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   tread depth difference an issue on 4MATIC? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/722303-tread-depth-difference-issue-4matic.html)

E550rocks 09-25-2018 06:33 PM

tread depth difference an issue on 4MATIC?

2010 E550 4MATIC - Rear tires were making noise. Worn unevenly. Dealership replaced two rear tires - same manufacturer as the front tires, but different model - (both back tires are the same make and model - some confusion on this in the thread) so different tread patterns from the front tires to the back tires - seems as though this was not correct, if anyone can speak to this issue as well as my question(s) below. I asked dealership if all 4 needed replaced at the same time. They said no. Go to private Mercedes mechanic who tells me front tires are 6/32 tread depth, rear tires are 10/32 tread depth and that with the 4MATIC, all four tires need changed at the same time since all-wheel drive on Mercedes is not very forgiving with different tread depths and this stresses the all-wheel drive system and could cause failure to the tune of $6-7K. Any thoughts on this? True, not true? Did the dealership screw up royally by not replacing all 4 tires? Thank you!

KEY08 09-25-2018 06:59 PM

The 4Matic system can handle it. If you’re worried about it put 10# less air in the new rears.

^ ok, that is a joke but you get the drift.

95viper 09-25-2018 07:01 PM

Not true about the tread depth difference being an issue. Fronts can be changed at different intervals.

However, total BS that they gave you two different rear tires. I hope you didn’t pay for it.

E550rocks 09-25-2018 07:04 PM

Thank you so much. And, I didn't think about tire pressure differences...it all sounded a bit pushy to me. The only ones you can trust are your mbworld.org pals. Rock on!

E550rocks 09-25-2018 07:05 PM

Thank you for your quick reply and your input! It all sounded a little pushy and a bit dramatic...glad to be able to come to the forum of friends and get the true scoop! Cheers!

hyperion667 09-25-2018 07:11 PM

Welcome.

Another something to consider is MB's are heavy, tire eating machines.........that look really good while eating tires :)

Mud 09-25-2018 08:31 PM

I really surprised about the 2 different rear tires - doesn't speak too well about the dealer. Regardless if they replaced them under warranty.

thefisch 09-26-2018 05:51 PM

No issue if rear axle tires have more or less tread left than front. Bigger issue is what caused the uneven wear. Did you get an alignment done to correct any issues?

Lolxa 09-26-2018 07:04 PM

I was driving on 2 rear legally bald tires and 2 fronts that had about 25% tread left.I drove like this for an entire winter. 2010 4matic E550. I got new tires last year. Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S+

DFWdude 09-26-2018 07:22 PM

Mercedes Benzs have hundreds if not thousands of sensors. But a tread depth measuring sensor (and associated software) is not one of them.

So, there is no way a 4-matic vehicle can measure differences in performances between axles, or compensate its performance... based on the physical capabilities and limitations of the tires themselves. i.e., traction control sensors work only to maintain traction, regardless of tire specs between axles.

The private mechanic does not know what he is talking about...

kajtek1 09-26-2018 09:07 PM

Rule of thumb says MB allows for 4% difference between tires rpm before it start dashboard discoteque.
Surprisingly 6 mm thread difference will not come to 4%. Than usually first thing to notice is CC kicking off at speeds above 60 mph.
New tires on front or rear is whole other dispute.
Michelin advise putting new tires on the rear.
In my younger years I was driving in 4-seasons, where tire thread played big role.
So 1 time I put new tires on rear and wear on front.
For next couple of days, driving on slooshy show I could not control my car on turns and each braking was ending with my back sweating.
Next day I put new tires on front and even moving the car from start was a bit harder, the turning and braking was dependable.