E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Black Trim Bubbles on the Center Stack, anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,719 Likes on 1,102 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Question Black Trim Bubbles on the Center Stack, anyone?

Just read a post from another member about "the bubbling on the black trim on the console." I have a similar problem on the center stack, just above the climate control...

At first, I thought the passenger airbag light burning all the time caused this panel to heat up, making the crinkling appear. But the dealer, and Mercedes-Benz says (are you ready for this one?) that this surface defect results when using scented refresheners attached to the center air vents (a good foot distant).

It's not that noticeable visually, but you can rub your finger over it and just shake your head. Anyone else have this problem, and what excuses have you gotten from the warranty dept?

Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
'76 Triumph TR6, '14 W212 Sport, '09 Audi S5 4.2
I was one of the two guys who mentioned that in the previous thread. My bubbling was on the rear of the console around the vents for the backseat and on the black plastic trim around the COMAND screen. Both were replaced, no questions asked, under the original factory warranty. Now that I'm on the extended warranty I doubt they would be so kind. But yeah, that's what it looked like. Obviously I never had an air freshener there, nor could you have put one in either of those spots without difficulty.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
The only time I have seen that on any car is when the rear view mirror is leaking some of the anti-dazzle fluid onto the face of the dash. That's weird.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I had a similar issue on the panel surrounding the comand knob. Car was over 50k miles so MB refused to cover. Since car was only 3.5 years old, I argued that the mileage had nothing to do with trim peeling in a high use area. Their response was it was probably was the hand lotion I use. Funny, I don't use hand lotion.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by thefisch
I had a similar issue on the panel surrounding the comand knob. Car was over 50k miles so MB refused to cover. Since car was only 3.5 years old, I argued that the mileage had nothing to do with trim peeling in a high use area. Their response was it was probably was the hand lotion I use. Funny, I don't use hand lotion.
I don't use cabin fresheners, or hand lotion either. Further, this area would not see human touch because there is nothing there for a human to adjust... it's just an area occupied with two indicator lights (passenger airbag, and alarm system status).

Finally, any fluid in an air freshener can't fall on this area, because the center air vents are to either side (the clock is the only item directly above).
Old 10-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Very reminiscent to me of substrate chemical reaction with top coating. Like a painted surface that starts to get surface defects (even years later) from reaction to base material or primer chemicals etc.
Not much help I know but sure looks like a mfg defect to me.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by KEY08
The only time I have seen that on any car is when the rear view mirror is leaking some of the anti-dazzle fluid onto the face of the dash. That's weird.
Anything falling from the mirror would land well back on the center console (in front of the comand wheel).

Not to mention that the Hazard Flasher button overhangs this area from any drippage from above.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Mud
Very reminiscent to me of substrate chemical reaction with top coating. Like a painted surface that starts to get surface defects (even years later) from reaction to base material or primer chemicals etc.
Not much help I know but sure looks like a mfg defect to me.
I agree it looks like paint crinkling from behind (under the surface coat). Given that the 2nd passenger airbag light burns all the time, the other potential cause is heat from this display blistering the paint.

The question is if there is a pattern of others with paint crinkling in this spot...