This dude ran into my car..!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:45 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I don't disagree, my view was that if repairs were questioned at time of resale or trade, it's simple to point to use of MB approved facility. We have used a good local shop on truck repairs and they did a great job.
So it's a sort of window dressing using the MB facility, but in my case they did a very good job. My dealer rep did contact me to ask about repair quality.
Anyway the bottom line is to get a good fix.

Diminished value claim is arguable on low level claims. I had the entire door replaced with used MB rather than pull metal and use fillers etc. For me this was preferable route even though paintwork was needed. The diminished claim value was negligible for this repair. Quality of repair even into hidden areas was excellent.

I guess that's the risk and price to pay to drive - I'm more of a defensive driver and my dash cam captures all kinds of craziness out there.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
I'm sorry, I'm a noob here.
Submit the quote to insurance company and get a check. Get the changes made outside in a different shop and save some money?

As per depreciation, will Geico do any favor and fight on behalf of us or I have to go to claims court? Also, there would be deductible also, around 500 or 1000, which will increase my premium costs too, right?

I found this headlight assembly, haven't researched other required parts here, that small scratch is something looks like I can live with, compared to 2500$ OEM brand new one (saving 2000$ for small scratch).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2016-M...t2qO:rk:4:pf:0

and similarly look for bumpers from salvage that matches mine and get professionally painted to match my 4+ years old Diamond Silver Metallic?
Thanks.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy
Totally understand but there's this kind of misconception that "certified" repair shops do a better job. They're really just a shop that sends a commission check back to MB or the dealer. They won't be able to do anything more than what an insurance company is willing to cover. And some of them if they dont get what they want from the insurance company, they will force the cost onto the customer. A lot of them work off commission in my area, I've seen some shady things go down.

also on the note about diminished value, if you can provide evidence that on an e class, sale price went down strictly due to an accident, then you can maybe file a claim for it. It'll almost never go through because an insurance company guideline says something like your vehicle will be repaired to pre accident state, meaning it'll look and preform the same before the accident, and also as safe as before the accident. There is no real proof that an accident on the record lowers value, unless maybe it's like some kind of exotic vehicle. the older the vehicle gets, the less people will care about an accident on a car anyways.
You apparently deal with the shady side of the repair street.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Luxury, 2017 E300 Sport
Originally Posted by raja777m
I'm sorry, I'm a noob here.
Submit the quote to insurance company and get a check. Get the changes made outside in a different shop and save some money?

As per depreciation, will Geico do any favor and fight on behalf of us or I have to go to claims court? Also, there would be deductible also, around 500 or 1000, which will increase my premium costs too, right?

I found this headlight assembly, haven't researched other required parts here, that small scratch is something looks like I can live with, compared to 2500$ OEM brand new one (saving 2000$ for small scratch).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2016-M...t2qO:rk:4:pf:0

and similarly look for bumpers from salvage that matches mine and get professionally painted to match my 4+ years old Diamond Silver Metallic?
Thanks.
I would get about 3 quotes from dealer approved shops to get an idea. These cars have a ton of electronics. I once had a valet service crack my front bumper. Whole bumper had to be sanded and painted as the crack was only with the paint. Trim moldings are apparently one time use... in all, almost $2k for a tiny bumper paint crack close to the headlight washer. The po asking sensors also needed to be reset/coded after the bumper was reattached to prevent errors. The lighting package with the adaptive headlights require some work to get them leveled too. Sure there may be folks who can handle this but I'd rather pass the buck. If the other party doesn't have insurance, your insurance can cover this for an uninsured driver and you shouldn't receive a rate hike... be frank with your agent and share with them all your concerns.

In my case with our other car, I shared with the claims agent for the driver who had rear ended us that we wanted to pursue the diminished value claim. He didn't object at all. I researched comparable vehicles with and without accidents to compare the difference. They didn't object. Like in all things, never accept the first offer... they will go higher the next time... goodluck!!!

Last edited by Knivels; 10-24-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Called the cop who is handling our case. He couldn't write a ticket to the kid without insurance, because his system showed there is active insurance on his computer. I asked him to contact the owner of the vehicle and ask for the valid insurance info.
If we purchase insurance for 6 months and cancel it mid-policy term, will it still show as covered? Any cops in the house..!
Old 10-26-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Dang, your bumper was trashed and his car has some minor paint transfer. His can probably we buffed/waxed out. Doesn't say a whole lot for our car's durability (bumper at least). He was coming backwards with a vengeance!! I was trying to listen to what the person was saying to him on the phone. Sounded like they were saying something about a license. Hope this all works out for you. I would have been FUMING!!!
Old 10-26-2018, 10:03 AM

2014 E350 4Matic
On second thought that was most likely someone that you were on the phone with.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by akingzkid
On second thought that was most likely someone that you were on the phone with.
Sorry, I didn't get what you're saying. You mean I was distracted and on phone? I just dropped off my friend and forgot to put music even. He wasn't on phone either until he opened the door, he was just stupid to go fast in reverse and not see where he was going.

Last edited by raja777m; 10-26-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500
Awesome use of the camera- I have never owned a camera but got hit this July 2018 by a reversing pick up truck in hospital parkade- I had aftermarket steel bumpers on my jeep and received no damage- big dent in his OEM steel bumper- it could easily have turned around if he claimed I ran into him. With the MB I would need to be honking like crazy and reversing myself or be off to the bodyshop. Hmmm- thanks for sharing.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Dang, your bumper was trashed and his car has some minor paint transfer. His can probably we buffed/waxed out. Doesn't say a whole lot for our car's durability (bumper at least). He was coming backwards with a vengeance!! I was trying to listen to what the person was saying to him on the phone. Sounded like they were saying something about a license. Hope this all works out for you. I would have been FUMING!!!
I think his damage is worse than just paint transfer. You can see a bulge in the bumper cover/fender connection, so his bumper cover flexed pretty good and probably popped the connection and compressed the actual bumper.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:51 AM

2014 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by KEY08

I think his damage is worse than just paint transfer. You can see a bulge in the bumper cover/fender connection, so his bumper cover flexed pretty good and probably popped the connection and compressed the actual bumper.
Are you talking about the black spot on the top part of the bumper where the paint is missing? If so, that was there already. I watched the video several times and looked at his car as he was backing up and that spot was already there. If you aren't talking about that then just ignore what you just read. LOL.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:54 AM

2014 E350 4Matic
Sorry, I didn't get what you're saying. You mean I was distracted and on phone? I just dropped off my friend and forgot to put music even. He wasn't on phone either until he opened the door, he was just stupid to go fast in reverse and not see where he was going.
No. Not saying you were distracted. I heard someone talking on the phone in the background. I could hear it when you were showing the close ups of your bumper. I was trying to hear what they were saying. I thought it was him talking to someone on the phone but maybe it was you calling to talk to someone to tell them about the accident.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No. Not saying you were distracted. I heard someone talking on the phone in the background. I could hear it when you were showing the close ups of your bumper. I was trying to hear what they were saying. I thought it was him talking to someone on the phone but maybe it was you calling to talk to someone to tell them about the accident.
Ya, he was on his phone to his mom explaining the situation and asking them to come over.
He was saying the bumper and headlights were already damaged, I said, "Don't embarrass yourself further, let the cop come and insurance company deal with it; I'm not interested in talking to you anymore".
Old 10-26-2018, 02:21 PM

2014 E350 4Matic
Ya, he was on his phone to his mom explaining the situation and asking them to come over.
He was saying the bumper and headlights were already damaged, I said, "Don't embarrass yourself further, let the cop come and insurance company deal with it; I'm not interested in talking to you anymore".
Wow. Nice try young man. LOL.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1. I tried calling 4 insurance companies and none of them have the vehicle under insurance.
2. Cop is usel*ss and can't help me further, he simply said to "Sue them for the damages" (as it is a civil matter as of now) or go through my insurance as there is no deductible.
3. Since there are no personal injury, 99% of the lawfirms are not taking my case. Unless I need to lie there is injury to me also, which I don't want to lie (none of them suggested me either, don't take anyone wrong here). The case would come under "Property Damage Category".
4. Called Geico and since I'm in NC, I can claim for the "Diminished value" and I WILL GET IT; However, my policy would go to underwriting, meaning they are ready to screw me over my premium from next renewal (my understanding).

Please suggest me with other options.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
1. I tried calling 4 insurance companies and none of them have the vehicle under insurance.
2. Cop is usel*ss and can't help me further, he simply said to "Sue them for the damages" (as it is a civil matter as of now) or go through my insurance as there is no deductible.
3. Since there are no personal injury, 99% of the lawfirms are not taking my case. Unless I need to lie there is injury to me also, which I don't want to lie (none of them suggested me either, don't take anyone wrong here). The case would come under "Property Damage Category".
4. Called Geico and since I'm in NC, I can claim for the "Diminished value" and I WILL GET IT; However, my policy would go to underwriting, meaning they are ready to screw me over my premium from next renewal (my understanding).

Please suggest me with other options.
Do you have geico? Do you have the deductible waiver on your policy? You might be able to go through your own insurance and have them waive the deductible due to uninsured motorist. Then just repair your vehicle through your own insurance.

Are you getting diminished value though your own insurance carrier? Is that even possible lol. If they're going to hit your premiums, maybe try small claims court against the other party for diminished value instead if with insurance
Old 11-05-2018, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy
Do you have geico? Do you have the deductible waiver on your policy? You might be able to go through your own insurance and have them waive the deductible due to uninsured motorist. Then just repair your vehicle through your own insurance.

Are you getting diminished value though your own insurance carrier? Is that even possible lol. If they're going to hit your premiums, maybe try small claims court against the other party for diminished value instead if with insurance
Oh, if I can split them and get away without increased premiums, I would do that way. Yes, no deductible in my case.
Ya, started looking into small claims thing now, even the investigation office suggested the same.

edit: Just called Geico, "Either I use the diminished value or not, my policy would go to underwriting a month before my renewal period. At this time, there is no guarantee my premium would go up. If I use the uninsured motorist claim".

Small claims court person said, they will give a court date, if the other party pays for it, it is good, else, there is no guarantee I would get the money but it'll go to collections.

Last edited by raja777m; 11-05-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
I have no recommendation for you, but what a **** ty situation this is. You've got the video of the entire incident and cannot get any satisfaction from the insurance companies, who are jacking you around and will raise your rate without a doubt if they go paying for diminished value. Make sure you have great before photos of the exact extent of this damage. If you sell privately in the future at least you can show the buyer what really happened. That goes a long way to explain the Carfax ding.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
2014 E350 W212
...but what a **** ty situation this is.
agree... sorry to read (and see) of this op...

? to op, don't know local state laws, but are you saying geico (your own ins co) will raise your rate if you file the claim with them? - or only if you file a claim for diminished value? i ask bc i was not aware that in nc an insurance co could raise your rates for a no-fault claim...(which is clearly the case in your case) - in other words, they cannot penalize you for filing a claim for what is not your fault... or can they (distinct from the diminished value claim)? just curious...
Old 11-05-2018, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have no recommendation for you, but what a **** ty situation this is. You've got the video of the entire incident and cannot get any satisfaction from the insurance companies, who are jacking you around and will raise your rate without a doubt if they go paying for diminished value. Make sure you have great before photos of the exact extent of this damage. If you sell privately in the future at least you can show the buyer what really happened. That goes a long way to explain the Carfax ding.
The kicker of this situation is, I just called DMV and learned the tags are expired at the time of incident. WTF is the cop doing not stopping a vehicle with no insurance, expired tags and an irresponsible person letting to drive the car on the roads again.
And when the incident happened and the police came to the scene, the mother of the driver and this cops appeared to be known to each other and they are friends of sort.

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
agree... sorry to read (and see) of this op...

? to op, don't know local state laws, but are you saying geico (your own ins co) will raise your rate if you file the claim with them? - or only if you file a claim for diminished value? i ask bc i was not aware that in nc an insurance co could raise your rates for a no-fault claim...(which is clearly the case in your case) - in other words, they cannot penalize you for filing a claim for what is not your fault... or can they (distinct from the diminished value claim)? just curious...
Yes, I asked them and they said, even if I don't claim for diminished value, they will look into my policy every 6 months to see if they can raise my premium (they say to decrease it, but nah) and if I have a claim, even not at fault, they will raise the insurance premium (I know this first hand from an experience in 2013).
Old 11-05-2018, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
And when the incident happened and the police came to the scene, the mother of the driver and this cops appeared to be known to each other and they are friends of sort.
That is why you are getting screwed by the cop. Happened to my Dad years ago.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Call the police station and report the cop. Give them the information you received. If they give you a raft of excuses call the TV stations.
raja777m (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 W212
The kicker of this situation is, I just called DMV and learned the tags are expired at the time of incident. WTF is the cop doing not stopping a vehicle with no insurance, expired tags and an irresponsible person letting to drive the car on the roads again.
well that sucks...
and that sucks too... but as key posted, if you suspect preferential treatment... report it...
...and if I have a claim, even not at fault, they will raise the insurance premium (I know this first hand from an experience in 2013).
time to start shopping for a new car insurance co imo...
Old 11-05-2018, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
time to start shopping for a new car insurance co imo...
probably. looks like it.

Call the police station and report the cop. Give them the information you received. If they give you a raft of excuses call the TV stations.
The Sergeant is not an African American, like the investigation officer or the owners of the other vehicle, so, I'll wait for his call (I emailed him, but did not say anything wrong about one of their's - Cop).

I don't want to get scrutinized because I ratted/accused one of their own. It is already worse in USA here for Immigrants (legal or illegal - no difference)..
enough rant.

Sure, will check with the Sgt. from time to time now.

I called all the insurances and learned the address was mentioned same, need to check with one last person before going to court house tomorrow.

Thank god, my car is still drive-able.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 W212
probably. looks like it.
...or move to a state that prohibits surcharges (rate increases) on drivers who are involved in accidents through no fault of their own... ;-) a good thing about living in ca...
raja777m (11-05-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This dude ran into my car..!