E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Which shocks are for my 2010 E350 base model?

Old 11-09-2018, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Mercedes E 350
Which shocks are for my 2010 E350 base model?

hello everyone,

My question is a little confusing as my mechanic doesn't know exactly what is the problem.

First part of my question is,,,,

The car sways side to side whenever the rear tires (together or separately) go over a hole or bump on the rode. Most noticeable driving city speed between 35--50 MPH.

The mechanic isn't sure if it was the shocks, which he said should not react in such a way if were defective, while after inspecting the car he said everything looks normal.

He did say the right shock is leaking ( I saw the shock with some grease/oil/whatever makes it wet and collect dirt and dust)

The front shocks just started to make cranking noise when going over a speed bump on very slow speeds (5-10 MPH) ..

Second part of the question. The most recommended brand of shocks (mechanic, Online, other MBZ owners ) is Bilstein B4 being the OEM replacement part.

HOWEVER, there are several types of the Bilstein B4 shocks

1> B4 OE Replacement strut for the front fitment

2> B4 OE replacement struct for the rear fitment (DAMPMATIC)...

Option one (Front Strut) comes with either Comfort Running Gear (Code 485) OR code 488 Or code 489.

Rear strut is not clear.

Vehicle information 2010 MBZ E350 Sedan (Base model I guess, No Air suspension, and I really don't know if it has Sports Package).

119,846 Miles, One owner, (I'm the second) records show regular maintenance in a MBZ dealer, but doesn't show anything regarding suspension replacement or inspection.

I've owned the vehicle for almost 7 months now, and that is the only thing I don't like about it.

The dealership said I should get the Comfort Running Gear, but that option is available for the front struts if I want to purchase online, but can't find the same for the rear, and I don't know if the DAMPMATIC are good replacement for my vehicle.

I do apologize for the lengthy question, but I'm confused and can't find the right answer online.

Thank you in advance for any help
The following users liked this post:
Sharkfan928 (01-18-2020)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,146 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Sorry you didn't get a good answer to this. I don't know too much more, but I have replaced my rear shocks and springs recently. For the rears, I think I got the shocks from Rockauto for about $80 each (don't forget the 5% discount code). I got the springs from fcpeuro. The springs have a code on them, mine had a green and red dot. Originally I just did the shocks and rockauto only listed one type of Bilstein shock. I did the shocks first because the rear tires were wearing funny. I ended up doing the springs recently because the car was sitting a bit lower than normal. It turns out that you can just replace the springs in the rear without a spring compressor, if you undo the bolts to the control arm, it drops down and you can just remove the spring by hand. Basically the same video as the W211. Did mine at an indy, normal prices, nothing crazy.

For the front, I think it's the same with Bilstein, only one strut but the springs also have a specific code, I think my front ones are two red dots, seems to be 3 different types. Haven't done the fronts yet, but going to soon. Need a good recommendation for a spring compressor, I looked up the directions on how to do it and the recommended tool is way up there in price. For the spring, I think you're limited to oem, I normally just use oediscountparts.com as the free shipping usually works out cheaper than other sites which may be cheaper but not once you factoring in their shipping charges.

Also search the old threads, someone mentioned that some part should be replaced if you're doing the springs because it causes a squeaking noise which is what you're reporting and the updated part gets rid of that noise. I think that only covered a certain range as mine doesn't do it.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 Base RWD
Dredging up old post, in hope of new answers.

So after a lot of searching I came across this post from a few years ago.
I am having the exact same issue and I have the same model. 2010 E350 Sedan Base Model.
Any size bump at all speeds, causes feeling of a side to side shimmy. 70k miles, most parts and bushings appear solid.
Has anyone experienced this and resolved?
probably going to replace shocks as starting point since it does seem to be a little more harsh than I would expect, although I don’t know exactly how smooth it should be.
many recommendations on replacements? I.e. Factory or possible upgrades and where to purchase?

thanks in advance