MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   transmission service-flush and fill (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/726600-transmission-service-flush-fill.html)

Loodoo 11-09-2018 02:27 PM

transmission service-flush and fill

Have a 2013 E 350 4matic with about 75k miles. Car's been perfect thus far(knocking on wood). dealer recommended trans fluid service based on mileage I guess, since said it still looked clean, and quoted me $800. shifts on this car are seamless, and even if it were dirty, $800 seems a bit rich for a trans flush and fill. thoughts on doing this even at a quick lube joint for a fraction of the price?

dlafever 11-09-2018 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Loodoo (Post 7599159)
Have a 2013 E 350 4matic with about 75k miles. Car's been perfect thus far(knocking on wood). dealer recommended trans fluid service based on mileage I guess, since said it still looked clean, and quoted me $800. shifts on this car are seamless, and even if it were dirty, $800 seems a bit rich for a trans flush and fill. thoughts on doing this even at a quick lube joint for a fraction of the price?

If you were to do it yourself, you'd pay $150 for fluid (12L of Fuchs Titan 7134), and $100 for the factory filter/gasket/pan bolts (use once). This assumes that you have the transmission fill tool as well, which run ~$200, if not then total would be $450 or so.
An independent mechanic would be somewhere between the $800 dealer cost and $450 DIY cost, and would by my recommendation if you are trying to save some money but still do it right.

Both the dealer and independent will offer some sort of warranty on their work, where DIY means you are the warranty.

As for the 75k mile change, I would do it. It's just cheap insurance for a car that can/will last a long time if properly maintained.

Loodoo 11-09-2018 03:17 PM

thanks for the reply. based on what you're telling me, doesn't seem that outrageous after all. I've been leasing, so most of the cars go back before we get to this point. last one I changed the trans fluid was an 04 acura TL, and did that way back when, for something like 120. that's why this caught me somewhat offguard. will get it done, as I bought this one since and plan to deep it for a while I think its one of the best looking designs ever.

Mud 11-09-2018 03:26 PM

My dealer charged me about $375 for this service, done at 40k miles. If I remember right, on my 2011 recommended service interval is about 40k-50k miles. I will get the filter changed at the next interval (80k) miles which at my retiree rate of driving will be sometime next millennium lol. Have less than 55k miles on the car. Although I can DIY a lot of stuff, I preferred to have the dealer do this service especially while the car was still under ELW.
Just me, I prefer to do fluid (oil, trans, etc) service a bit earlier or sometimes more frequently as I consider it cheap insurance. And I would never take any of my cars, let alone this one to a corner lube place or Jim-Bob's garage based on cheap price only. However there are indy mechanics familiar with these cars that do good work.

raja777m 11-09-2018 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Loodoo (Post 7599159)

try calling the nearby dealers and see if they are running any promotions like 500$ express service etc. which may include what you wanted to be done, even if it is 800 or so and gets the other stuff done, it would be nice.

KEY08 11-09-2018 04:53 PM

Do NOT have this service done at a “Quick lube joint”. You will regret it.

cetialpha5 11-09-2018 06:39 PM

You can also get Shell ATF 134 FE. Last time I got a quote on it, it was about $65 for a case of 12 quarts from a shell distributor.

https://www.shell.us/business-custom...r-locator.html

Also seems high. Check the extended warranty subforum. Might be cheaper to buy a 3 pre-paid service pack from one of the vendors mentioned there. That typically includes the transmission fluid change in the service along with spark plugs if you're at the right interval.

kajtek1 11-09-2018 06:56 PM

Beware that 7G transmissions have different interiors and different service requirements thru the years.
I did 2008 and 2014 models at the same time.
When 2008 calls for single ATF service at 70 k miles and then "lifetime"
The later models depends on the engine call for regural ATF intervals.
I compared the filters and even they had the same shape - newer transmission is having fine filter, when older basically just a strainer.
DIY service is difficult unless you have a lift, or garage service channel where you can get under the car for the procedure, but on other hand ATF is the most abused service in automotive industry.
When you DYI, - you know that you drain the convertor and you know the fluid dripped down, not just splashed for few seconds when the plug was put back.

aquinob 11-12-2018 07:19 AM

I had mine recently done at the dealer. I think they charged somewhere in the low 400 dollar range for it. Car is around 70k, but I had it done by the same dealer when I bought it at around 28, so it was due. Can't say I notice any difference driving it. But I feel better that it was done. Deferred maintenance is not good for these cars, they need to be maintained to give good service.