MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Should I Trade in my 14’ E350 for a C300? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/726779-should-i-trade-my-14i-e350-c300.html)

Kai Takase 11-11-2018 02:37 PM

Should I Trade in my 14’ E350 for a C300?

hi guys,

I have a 2014 E350 full option with distronic, appearance pkg, amg, etc.., and test drove the 17’ C300 earlier today. Love the new and modernized interior. but didn’t come with distronic or the lane keeping assist.

Should I still trade it in?

thank you

KEY08 11-11-2018 03:21 PM

Find a used S class. Why go down in size and comfort?

Kai Takase 11-11-2018 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7600612)
Find a used S class. Why go down in size and comfort?

good point ... but I really don’t think I deserve such a luxurious car haha

Arrie 11-11-2018 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kai Takase (Post 7600587)
hi guys,

I have a 2014 E350 full option with distronic, appearance pkg, amg, etc.., and test drove the 17’ C300 earlier today. Love the new and modernized interior. but didn’t come with distronic or the lane keeping assist.

thank you

You should go test drive the C- class for a longer road trip and you would not need to be asking your question.

Mud 11-11-2018 07:21 PM

It's entirely up to you.

Personally speaking, I just had a loaner new C300 while my 2011 E350 was in for warranty work. The best part was when I could get my "old" car back. I had an Accord before the E350 - the C300 seemed like an overpriced Accord to me. And nothing against the Honda - it was a very good car.

DFWdude 11-11-2018 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie (Post 7600725)

You should go test drive the C- class for a longer road trip and you would not need to be asking your question.

Agreed. I drove a C-Class for 17 years... still have it. But I can't escape the fact that it is a smaller car. For longer trips, it can be a real challenge to find enough space for travelmates, and all the luggage.

The E-Class is a significantly larger car, inside the cabin and in the trunk. On longer trips, my travel buddies have a lot more room, especially in the back seat. And luggage space is no longer a problem. And the ride is better than the C.

C-Class is a fine auto, but I will take my E-Class every time, now.

hyperion667 11-11-2018 08:30 PM

I'd stick with the E class.

ygmn 11-12-2018 08:02 AM

WHy trade in for less features and less money in your wallet?

Keep the larger better equipped car.

DFWdude 11-12-2018 08:28 AM

hi guys,

thank you

I forgot to mention... the year-old C-Class you are considering has not taken its full depreciation tumble yet. By that I mean that every MB depreciates horribly the first two years. Whatever price you might pay for the 2017 today, it will be worth FAR LESS in mere weeks, once it is 2 years-old. Meanwhile, the depreciation on the 2014 has somewhat stabilized in comparison.

kajtek1 11-12-2018 09:42 AM

I could never fit in classC with my long legs (had trouble in Hummer as well) and run into people who were selling their C wagon at loos becouse they figure out it too small for them.
If you are small enough to be comfortable - new gadgets sure makes impression till you find that you can live without most of them.
I drove VW for years, so did my wife. But when she drove ML for few years and got rear ended - I offer her 2003 VW Jetta I had at the time.
Took her 15 minutes to come back with "no freaky way I am driving that thing".
Once you taste comfort and luxury - it is hard to go back to economy.

KEY08 11-12-2018 10:04 AM

The 2" of rear leg room that comes in a C class is enough to kill it right there. I had a C32 AMG that I ordered and drove for a few years. The Horsepower wars were just starting in 2002. I had to treat it like a 2-seater and no one ever sat in the rear seats. It was horrible. First and last C class for me.

Alandf 11-12-2018 12:57 PM

hi guys,

thank you

A C class for an E ??
I heard that MB always put their latest technology and safety innovations in their E 's
Sounds like your E has it all. Just enjoy it

Mud 11-12-2018 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7600781)
Agreed. I drove a C-Class for 17 years... still have it. But I can't escape the fact that it is a smaller car. For longer trips, it can be a real challenge to find enough space for travelmates, and all the luggage.

The E-Class is a significantly larger car, inside the cabin and in the trunk. On longer trips, my travel buddies have a lot more room, especially in the back seat. And luggage space is no longer a problem. And the ride is better than the C.

C-Class is a fine auto, but I will take my E-Class every time, now.

I think this says it all very well, from a long-term owner of both C and E class.

teksurv 11-12-2018 02:14 PM

It's really subjective. That said, if you appreciate the size and comfort of the E, the C may not work out in the long run, I have a C238 (18 E coupe) and came from a 2015 E350. Prior to that a 2013 C350. The new interior is even that much more impressive on the E over the C. If that's what's drawing you, I'd save a bit and go for a newer E.

Darel 11-13-2018 08:19 AM

I dunno...I like the new C a lot, and I am thoroughly unimpressed with my '14 E. That Distronic, though.....

Seriously don't let snobbery get in your way. If you were talking about one of those CLA250s or something, that's a different story. But the C is a damn nice car and easily the equal of a previous-generation E, except in size. Don't forget about trickle-down engineering....what made your 5-year-old E special has now tricked down to become commonplace on a new C.

Trying really hard not to turn this into another one of my W212-bashing-fests so I'll just leave this here now. If I didn't own my E outright, I wouldn't own it at all. No way I'd bother making a payment on this thing. Pissed I bought it in the first place. Get the new C.

DFWdude 11-13-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Darel (Post 7602055)
Seriously don't let snobbery get in your way. If you were talking about one of those CLA250s or something, that's a different story. But the C is a damn nice car and easily the equal of a previous-generation E, except in size. Don't forget about trickle-down engineering....what made your 5-year-old E special has now tricked down to become commonplace on a new C.

For me there's no snobbery in it. My older C is very much a Mercedes-Benz. The C is not a sports car, but it is quite tossable when fun is needed. And it has held up well... Less than $800 in non-maintenance repairs, and not a rattle or squeak in it's 112,000 mile chassis.

I'd put the E-Class in the same category, except it's bigger for my needs, and a bit more luxurious, with all the bells and whistles that were not available in 2001 when I bought the C320.

Originally Posted by Darel (Post 7602055)
Trying really hard not to turn this into another one of my W212-bashing-fests so I'll just leave this here now. If I didn't own my E outright, I wouldn't own it at all. No way I'd bother making a payment on this thing. Pissed I bought it in the first place. Get the new C.

I wouldn't own a car that I was pissed at. You probably need to find a new car more than the OP.

Darel 11-13-2018 11:06 AM

This is probably true.

C280 Sport 11-14-2018 03:37 PM

No way! The new C is a nice car but its small and not as comfy. Plus the annoying sound of the 4 banger with the turbo makes a awful sound too! Less space, less comfort, less options and a annoying sound? No thank You!

nc211 11-16-2018 04:45 PM

I have a 14’ W212 as well. Past two days I’ve been driving a GLC loaner (and have had a C sedan as well). While the turbo is nice via the torque curve adjustments, I cannot stand how MB has redone these interiors! Even in the new E series. It’s just too tight for me, can’t spread my knees apart due to the massively wide center stack and where they’ve got the door handle positioned. Drives me nuts! I would not buy a new one of this current style, if for any other reason, that one. I’d hate to take one on a long road trip.

In my opinion, I think of Mercedes as a heavy, thick gauge steel, led sled cruising machine. These new ones seem to have moved away from that feeling, more towards light and overly nimble. I can’t put my finger on it, but they just don’t scratch that Mercedes Benz itch for me. I’d rather go Audi now if I had to buy a new Benz (excluding the S and GLS class of course). When I get in my 14’ E, with its real wood accents and roomy driving position, I just cruise about with total relaxation (even if that means 90mph), which is what I want from my Benz.

If if I want to be squeezed in and feel like I’m driving a sport(y) car, well that’s what my 2015 GTI is for...

i dont know how many gears are in the C, but my loaner this week had 9. How many friggin gears do you need?!?! And how long until the shifts start getting a little tougher and rougher before it just annoys the crap out of you....

my opinion, keep the E, and get a second used toy to scratch the itch when you get tired of 24/7 e class. Like a Miata or Mini or GTI or whatever. Instead of spending the extra $15k for one, spend it for two and go back and forth as you wish. One of my favorite decisions I make in a day is “do I want to relax and cruise into work, or take the back roads and boogie a bit”.

MBNUT1 11-16-2018 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by nc211 (Post 7605528)
In my opinion, I think of Mercedes as a heavy, thick gauge steel, led sled cruising machine. These new ones seem to have moved away from that feeling, more towards light and overly nimble. I can’t put my finger on it, but they just don’t scratch that Mercedes Benz itch for me. I’d rather go Audi now if I had to buy a new Benz (excluding the S and GLS class of course). When I get in my 14’ E, with its real wood accents and roomy driving position, I just cruise about with total relaxation (even if that means 90mph), which is what I want from my Benz.

So when the new C came out other than the ipad I thought it looked great. Then I drove it and it felt light and insubstantial. Then I drove the W204 and it felt substantial like a small tank but didn't ride as well. Then I drove a W212 and it was just what the doctor ordered..... That is not to say I don't think the new C is a good / nice car and I wouldn't have one but as another poster above said it just didn't feel special like a Mercedes should. I drove a new A4 after driving a new C and it was a much more satisfying drive.

pamiboy 11-17-2018 12:45 AM

I just had a loaner C300 during a recent service visit. I asked for an E class loaner (not expecting it anyway) and all they had was this C 300. I have to say the interior design looks great, but I'm not a fan of the open pore ash wood grain. It simply didn't feel luxurious enough for me, but I liked all the other technology features, the new steering wheel felt great to hold and was heated as well (mine isn't). My car has Burl- walnut finish and I prefer that to the open pore wood designs.
As pointed out before, one look back into the rear seat gave me a claustrophobic feel (I know that feeling is temporary too), even though the actual dimensions are only an inch or two smaller, but I'm not sure I can place my three kids in the back with their car seats in place. In my E class I can do that with some juggling around. It will be real tight in the C with no knee room to spare especially if the front seats are moved backwards. The space just reminded me of my long time Civic, but as we all know this C is far more substantial than a Civic.
As soon as I started the car, my enthusiasm waned after hearing the engine noise and realized that it was a 4 cylinder. But the acceleration was not bad (even though noisy), on the contrary the different drive modes felt really good to me. The road noise was only marginally more than the E class but I heard some wind noise too. The ride I thought was quite composed on bad surfaces, it felt more sporty and I could imagine driving it everyday for work. I was actually beginning to enjoy driving this car when I had to give it back. I was thinking my E will feel old and dated after this foray into newer models.
But, once I got my E back, everything felt so natural, quieter, and soft. I realized how cozy and comfortable the ride in my E is, even on driving at speeds it is steady like a rock. I was so glad to be back in the E class.
Even though I could drive the C class as a fun car for some time, I knew that eventually I would get tired of it. The E is simply a more substantial and comfortable car for the money. Now if you don't need the space and crave the newer technology and the slightly noisy engine doesn't bother you, then of course it's a no brainer to get the newer C class.
For me, I'm definitely not is a hurry to trade my "old" E class for the "new" C anytime soon.
PS. Even though I like the interior of the C class car, I'm not a fan of the exterior design of the C, or for that matter even the newer E (W213). They all kind of look the same boring anyway. I like the chiseled and sculpted looks of the W212, hats off to whoever designed it. Just my 2 cents.

Kudzubob 12-05-2018 07:42 AM

I also have a 2014 E350 that is loaded with options. I had a 2012 C250 prior to this car. In NO WAY would I trade it for a newer C class. I use a local dealer for all my maintenance and I have gotten a few loaner C Class. They are nice on the inside but they are also smaller. The back seat room especially. The ride and road noise are substantially better in the E350. The trunk space in the E is far greater than the C. I would not do it but you will make the final decision. You might want to consider trading up to a 16-17 E instead. Life is short—-make your decisions on how you can be happy....GOOD LUCK

JSch 12-05-2018 08:24 AM

NC211 - I have to agree with you. I have had a C, new E, and GLE as loaners. The C is too small, the new E centre console is too wide for comfort. I am also not a fan of the 4 cylinder in the E. It is quiet until you start pushing the car, then it sounds like a 4 cylinder and the lower HP is very noticeable. On the new W213 E class they have also changed the angle of the windshield, giving you less room between your head and the visor. Although these cars are bigger in outer size, it feels they are getting smaller inside.

I also have a 1988 300 SEL. It is 2,5 inches narrower than my 2012 E class. But, the amount of space around the driver and passenger in the front is so much more! The rear is unbelievable in space. In a tight parking deck you realise how long the car is! There are day I just prefer the old S class. Fantastic cruiser!

Bottom line is - don't do it...

aquinob 12-05-2018 08:35 AM

Had both a new C and E as loaners recently, both kept overnight. Impression of the C was that it was a nice car, but felt much smaller that my current E which is a 2010. You could really tell it was a 4 banger up front. Interior is nice enough though. I could get used to it, but still prefer my E.

The E was an E400 which is another 4 banger, probably the same motor as the C? Unless you really stepped on it, was hard to tell you were driving 4 cylinders. Having a 9 speed tranny may have something to do with that. Much more refined driving experience, felt like much more car than the C. Almost too many buttons, too confusing to work through the menus for the radio and nav. But probably would get familiar with it over time.

As for the OP's question, buy it if you want it, but as mentioned, the depreciation will be killer compared to the 14 which has probably slowed down a bit more. If I was looking to move, I'd at least test drive a used S, though it would probably spoil me for anything else afterward.

cetialpha5 12-05-2018 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by aquinob (Post 7621439)
Had both a new C and E as loaners recently, both kept overnight. Impression of the C was that it was a nice car, but felt much smaller that my current E which is a 2010. You could really tell it was a 4 banger up front. Interior is nice enough though. I could get used to it, but still prefer my E.

The E was an E400 which is another 4 banger, probably the same motor as the C? Unless you really stepped on it, was hard to tell you were driving 4 cylinders. Having a 9 speed tranny may have something to do with that. Much more refined driving experience, felt like much more car than the C. Almost too many buttons, too confusing to work through the menus for the radio and nav. But probably would get familiar with it over time.

As for the OP's question, buy it if you want it, but as mentioned, the depreciation will be killer compared to the 14 which has probably slowed down a bit more. If I was looking to move, I'd at least test drive a used S, though it would probably spoil me for anything else afterward.

Too bad you felt the E400 had the 4 cylinder. They are 6 cylinders. Unless you meant the E300 which has the 4 cylinder and would make more sense as a rental car, they don't normally have higher end models available as a rental.