New rims (non-amg)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 388 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
New rims (non-amg)

I’ve got the sport model, 2014 E350 4-Matic. I’ve about had it with these damn AMG rims being too weak to handle a typical pothole without sending me to the dealership for a bent rim repair (which seems to take 2 trips). Anyone ever just given up and replaced theirs with something else more durable yet still attractive? I like the 18” size.

I don’t understand how my GTI with their 18” rims and low profile tires can take hit after hit after hit and no damage. But on a Mercedes, if you look at them wrong, they get bent... what gives?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Either the weight, low suspension, or tire pressure. I don't have the AMG ones, just the regular 17 and those have also gotten bent. I just go to a local shop to get them bent back, I call, make the appointment and it's $115 to bend it back. Aftermarket might even be worse, while in the shop, saw many other aftermarket brands that were cracked or chipped and couldn't be repaired. A few had some chunks missing.

It's one of the drawbacks of low profile tires, there's just not enough sidewall to protect the rim. It's only done for looks. This didn't really happen with 15 and 16 inch rims.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks amigo. I’ve come to the decision that this is my first and last Mercedes Benz. Will be dumping it in the coming months and going with a Touareg instead. Just driving back from NC, car is vibrating still, and tap the brakes and the fronts are groaning badly with just 12,000 of mostly highway miles on them. Matched to the lumpy acceleration and having to screw with the seat, my entrance to MB has been less than impressive. When a Camry cruises better than an E class, I’d say the best or nothing at all isn’t playing in my favor. Sticking with VAG group going forward.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well you may have a few other issues going on. The motor mounts are known to go and when they do, they tend to cause a decent amount of vibration. Not sure where you got the brakes, but I did mine recently with Zimmerman rotors and Akebono brake pads and they're fine. As for the acceleration, there's an ECU reset for the transmission out there, kinda makes it more lively again. Normally it adapts to the driver but can get sluggish after a while and the reset tends to wake it up. A software update to the transmission might help too. You could use the $150 off $300 coupon at the dealer mentioned elsewhere in this forum. While they're doing that you could try and see if there are any updates to bluetooth or Sirius, just say it sometimes cuts in and out if they ask for specific problems as they don't like to do updates unless there's an existing problem.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...eleration.html
Old 11-24-2018, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, the brakes are OE from a MB dealership in Orlando. Funny thing is, I had the 40k service done last week, and they’ve now since started to act up. I don’t know man. But I can say one of the key drivers for my decision to just dump this and walk away is squarely on the *****show that is the MB dealership service platform. I mean, I’m willing to pay the premium, but constantly seem to be getting BS results from now two different dealerships. Just sucks. Dude, my cars interior is covered in smear marks from the technician last week. Once found a torque wrench in my back seat as they brought it to me saying it was all done and good to go. Do they not have quality control at their dealership service centers? I’m almost positive they took those two bent rims and instead of fixing them, just parked them on the back of the car and tried to balance them out (even though charged CNA $300 to fix them). I’m just done with the MB dealerships in and around Washington DC. Have yet to find one worth a crap, and life is too short to fuss with it.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
'76 Triumph TR6, '14 W212 Sport, '09 Audi S5 4.2
nc211, I think after the whole seat escapade you're my spirit animal.

My car has the stock non-AMG rims and I've been through 5 in a year.

I bought aftermarket cheapass reproductions, hoping maybe something is different in the manufacturing process that makes them stronger (cheaper alloy, less concern for weight reduction?)

Only had 2 of them on for about 2 months now so can't really say yet, but so far so good. But then that also means the other 2 stockers lasted 2 months as well.

I can't afford forged aftermarket rims and for some reason my wife likes the factory style so I'm stuck with it,

I'm with you though, will never buy another MB product after this one.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe it's the OE that's no good then or the clips were loose. I had the same problem on my W211, had a clunk that I thought was the sway bar link but it wasn't and eventually when I did the brakes, the clunk went away and they were OE pads.

As for getting the bent rims fixed, around here it's $100-$120 a rim. On eBay W212 refurbished OEM rims are still in the $200+ range so it still makes sense to get them bent back. Most tire shops should be able to recommend a place or you could just search for a place on yelp. I've had a few bent back and the guy I go to is a one man shop so I just stand around for an hour while he bends it back so I know he actually did it and it's smooth afterwards.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To be fair, I don't think it's an MB problem, pretty much that's the problem with all rims that have low profile tires. Those low profile tires just don't have enough air to stop them from getting popped by potholes. My boss has a Corvette and a couple Audi's also. Same problem. The problem is that too many kids think that big wheels are cool when they just lead to cracked rims and flat tires when you're in a state with a lot of potholes. Maybe they hold up better in dryer states like California or Florida.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 e350 sport
I put 20 inch wheels on my eclass and yes you gotta avoid potholes to save your life! Lol

def makes you focus more on the road lol

looks great on the car. The drive is smooth AF.

but it sounds like for the way you drive and or where you live that car with low profile tires isn’t ideal. I was reading this and saying why the heck did he get this sporty car? Why not a truck/suv?

im in south fla and i couldn’t imagine driving this car with rims in nyc with the crappy roads there. Totally destroy the car.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, I have a MK7 GTI with the same tire and wheel size (albeit not quite as wide of tire width) and have never had a bent wheel in the many years I’ve owned it, same roads. I think those rims must be forged or something whereas the MB isn’t.

its going back to the dealership tomorrow, and I don’t want to see it again until it’s fixed, really fixed, tested and confirmed by senior tech kind’ve fixed. I don’t care if it takes them a month (I’ll drive VW), I just want this damn thing to be right!

Ive also got an issue with my drivers side door seal that anytime the temps drop below 40, I get a wind noise at the top corner that drives me nuts. Looking in the mirror, it looks as though my door isn’t properly aligned with the rear door, sagging about 1/8th of an inch when looking at the lines. WTF!

Last time I was there (last week), they had to replace the rear center seatbelt strap because it was improperly installed, you could not use it (they installed the latch part on the wrong side of the little bumper clip in the belt itself). How that passed CPO inspection (much less any state safety inspection) is beyond me...

if if I didn’t have the VW as a 3rd, I would’ve bought the T’reg. But thought I’d have a fun sporty car and a luxurious highway cruiser all for the price of the T’reg I was looking at.

I used to have a Lexus LS400 many years ago that drove me nuts and swore I’d never do that again. When it was smooth, it was fantastic. But when one little thing went sideways, you’d know it and it would ruin the car’s primary selling point, and was like a goose egg hunt of bushings and mounts to figure it out. I had the time and interest back then to hunt it down and fix it, which also taught me a TON about cars in general. Today, I have not the time nor the interest to do that again.

Thing ive always enjoyed about VW products is their ability to fix a problem the first time. They’re simple cars, so when something goes bad, it’s very easy to understand what/where/how to fix. I don’t expect any car to not be without it’s faults and issues. But I do expect that if you’re being paid a King’s ransom to be the expert to fix it, than you better be worth that money. So far, I’ve yet to be impressed by MB’s technicians, and certainly not worth their high dollar price tags to repair a car. At least not that I’ve found here in the Washington, DC area anyway. I think a big part of the problem is that everyone has a MB here it seems, and the dealerships can’t keep up.

If I weren’t under warranty still, I wouldn’t even bother with them (expires in March).
Old 11-26-2018, 08:27 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I am currently selling two sets of 18's.........three actually Two HRE's and one Mandrus.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Hyperion, I’m not quite there yet on spending the dough on the car, but maybe in the future. I really do want to love this car, and want to keep it for a long time as my boulevard cruiser. Quite frankly, nothing out there quite like it in my opinion, and love the looks. Just had some very annoying characteristics.

So, now that I’m a bit more calmed down after the thanksgiving holiday and returned to my normal routine (sorry about that), I’m not ready to pull a “risky business” into the Potomac with it.

Got it back from the shop today. They never road force balanced the wheels last week, and when they did this time, it was revealed that the new tire the Indiana dealership put on after the pothole hit last June....is defective! So, I had to buy yet another Conti tire but being told will be reimbursed by Conti under the warranty in about 6 weeks. The shop drove it for about 40 miles at highway speed and said all is well. I haven’t had a chance to get it up to speed yet, I really hope they’re right!

Going to park it now for a while and cool off further. In the end, I suspect next year will have some wrenching time in my garage with it, assuming I still love it enough (which I probably will).

First order - ditching those front cross-drilled rotors. They groan under heavy load and the holes get caked up. Not worth it if I can do aftermarket solid/vented instead (sounds like I can).

They couldnt replicate the door seal air leak (bull, but whatever). Will likely be replacing that door seal myself. Was one of my favorite updates to that old Lexus that gave it back much of its new car feel (a tomb again).

Motor mounts likely coming too. Not the mileage (38k) that I consider, but the age.

Transmission fluid flush including torque converter. Likely to have trusted indi mechanic do that one if around $500. I just don’t trust transmission fluid much beyond 40k miles in general.

She is a beauty of a car to look at, no doubt. Really do want to make this work for the long haul. Thing that sold me on it were those I know with the previous generation that have nearly 200k now and still drive theirs. There is real ownership pride with MB, I get it, and want to be a part of it! Just has to be smooth operating / riding and hold an alignment, those are my key triggers for any car. Broken switches, bushings, etc, I can live with.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nc211
Thanks Hyperion, I’m not quite there yet on spending the dough on the car, but maybe in the future. I really do want to love this car, and want to keep it for a long time as my boulevard cruiser. Quite frankly, nothing out there quite like it in my opinion, and love the looks. Just had some very annoying characteristics.

So, now that I’m a bit more calmed down after the thanksgiving holiday and returned to my normal routine (sorry about that), I’m not ready to pull a “risky business” into the Potomac with it.

Got it back from the shop today. They never road force balanced the wheels last week, and when they did this time, it was revealed that the new tire the Indiana dealership put on after the pothole hit last June....is defective! So, I had to buy yet another Conti tire but being told will be reimbursed by Conti under the warranty in about 6 weeks. The shop drove it for about 40 miles at highway speed and said all is well. I haven’t had a chance to get it up to speed yet, I really hope they’re right!

Going to park it now for a while and cool off further. In the end, I suspect next year will have some wrenching time in my garage with it, assuming I still love it enough (which I probably will).

First order - ditching those front cross-drilled rotors. They groan under heavy load and the holes get caked up. Not worth it if I can do aftermarket solid/vented instead (sounds like I can).

They couldnt replicate the door seal air leak (bull, but whatever). Will likely be replacing that door seal myself. Was one of my favorite updates to that old Lexus that gave it back much of its new car feel (a tomb again).

Motor mounts likely coming too. Not the mileage (38k) that I consider, but the age.

Transmission fluid flush including torque converter. Likely to have trusted indi mechanic do that one if around $500. I just don’t trust transmission fluid much beyond 40k miles in general.

She is a beauty of a car to look at, no doubt. Really do want to make this work for the long haul. Thing that sold me on it were those I know with the previous generation that have nearly 200k now and still drive theirs. There is real ownership pride with MB, I get it, and want to be a part of it! Just has to be smooth operating / riding and hold an alignment, those are my key triggers for any car. Broken switches, bushings, etc, I can live with.
MB uses liquid filled motor mounts unlike other cars that use rubber. When they're gone you should know. Also they're not that easy to do so I'd wait.

As for the rotors, you can get solid ones, but I'd just get the same drilled ones. Your old ones are just worn out that's all. I got Zimmerman's from FCPeuro so it's supposed to be a lifetime warranty on the parts. They seem fine with the Akebono pads.

Transmission fluid you can get from Shell, they also carry ATF 134 FE.

https://www.shell.us/business-custom...r-locator.html

Case is around $65 for 12 quarts. I believe it's 70k for the fluid though.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩

i hear ya. I just bent one of these OEM E63 wheels which I thought would be indestructible. Not happy
pierrejoliat (07-17-2021)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Many thanks cet! I just had the chance to get it up to speed (30 mile commute / smooth blacktop / freeway), and happy to report smooth as glass again, thank goodness! I think it was a combo of needing the road force balance and the bad tire.

I do hear a little groaning in the front, and 100% convinced it’s the pads against the rotors in general. The car was doing the same when I bought it at 22k miles. Replaced the pads and rotors at 25k and it went away. Sadly it’s back now at 38k miles. I find it hard to believe the rotors (OE from a MB dealership in Orlando) would need to be replaced with just 12/13k miles of mostly highway miles. I’m wondering if a different problem with say a sticking pad via a caked-up pad mount pin. When I changed them, I did not change those mounting posts they basically hang on (didn’t think they needed it). Or maybe a bad backer pad on the caliper piston side where the piston is going metal to metal to the pad. Not a big deal and happy to know what it is at this point (so I know how to fix it). I don’t have that outer lip on the rotor last yet from usage, which makes me think pad mount related instead. Either way, now that I know, I feel much better about it.

Is the transmission mount also fluid filled too? Just curious. I saw some videos on the motor mounts, and agree not easy enough for my DIY skills, thanks for the heads up!

i also don’t think the spark plugs are in my wheelhouse either, given the need to index them. It’s amazing how complicated it is for such a relatively small engine in a large engine bay.

Last week they replaced my sub on the back deck via the CPO warranty. Man, I don’t think it was ever working, as the stereo sounds absolutely fantastic now, amazingly so!

I’ll start some different (specific) threads as I start tinkering with the car.

Happy has returned!
Old 11-28-2018, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KEY08

i hear ya. I just bent one of these OEM E63 wheels which I thought would be indestructible. Not happy
Sharp looking wheels!! Not sure if you’ve had to cross this bridge yet (bent wheel), but I was surprised at how cheap it is to have one fixed. I was thinking $300 or so. But appears to be more like $115 to $150 (dealership). So, not too terribly bad. I have no idea how they do it (template or just pound it out), but somehow it works, as I’ve now had to do it 4 times.

What is interesting is my loaner for this last visit was a CLA with their fancy shiny rims. Man, I hit a pothole today on my way back to the dealership to pick up my car that would’ve eaten my wheel. Didn’t even phase the CLA, I was shocked. Actually made the comment to the dealership guy to swap line for those instead. “Sure, $2,500”. He’s not very funny!
Old 11-29-2018, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The transmission mount is easy. I think it took my indy less than 20 minutes to do it. Can't really tell if it's fluid filled, but the new one was a little taller than the old one so it did compress a little.

If you already replaced the rotors, try new pads. It might be because you didn't grease the slide pins.

I don't think you really need to index the plugs. From other threads, if you get OEM ones, they are just designed to automatically be indexed once you put them in. Normally you're supposed to have to take the intake off to replace the plugs, but in some other threads there's supposedly a way around that, but I don't remember.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:11 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
The stock wheels are SO HEAVY! That must have been a hell of a pot hole! The best or nothing LOL!
Old 11-29-2018, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩

Originally Posted by hyperion667
The stock wheels are SO HEAVY! That must have been a hell of a pot hole! The best or nothing LOL!
Really! Now all wonky. Should be an easy repair this time, though.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:32 AM

Just bent #6 in 15 months......grrrrr.....
Old 01-22-2019, 06:20 AM

Well, after bending or cracking rims #7 and 8 in 18 months (and this is on top of the four new rims the dealer had to install just to sell the car under CPO) I quit. My car is now riding on a full set of these cheap-*** repops. I figure if anything else, maybe having them made more cheaply means SOMETHING is different (didn't care about weight reduction? Different alloy?) and maybe they'll be less likely to bend. Maybe. In any case they're less than half the price of factory replacements, all of which of mine have been repaired, some multiple times. We will see.

I had 2 of the repops on since about October and just installed the other two. They are not exactly the same as factory rims but you'd really have to look hard to see the subtle differences. I just made sure for a couple months I had two factory rims on one side and two repops on the other.

Fingers crossed.

W212 cheap reproduction wheels

Darel
Old 01-22-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2001 E320 4Matic (SOLD), 2009 E350 4Matic (SOLD), 2016 E400 4Matic
Interesting. No need for centering rings or special lug bolts?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’m in the VA burbs of DC. It’s pothole season right now. Mine is parked in the garage and driving the VW for awhile. Just don’t want to deal with this risk at the moment. A real shame about this car. Too afraid to drive it because of fear of another annoying trip to the dealership for yet another bent rim or two.

When I bought it, I was trying to decide between a luxury sedan or a nice SUV (Toureg). I would be lying if I didn’t think sometimes that the T’reg might’ve not been the better choice over these rims. My GTI has low profile tires on 18 inch rims (I’m sure you’ve all seen one buzzing around). I have never had a bent wheel on it and have hit some nasty potholes with it. One has so much curb rash on it that I have to replace it eventually, but not bent. Maybe it’s the metal or a lighter car in general, but really would’ve thought that Mercedes Benz would’ve at least matched VW on something like this, seeing as how one is the pride of Germany and the other is basically farmed out in mass numbers from Mexico!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:47 PM

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
I have to ask... are you guys just not looking at the road while you drive? I know, you can never completely avoid all of the potholes in the road all of the time... but I don't think I run over 8 in 18 months, let alone get that many bent rims. What the heck are you guys doing to your cars and your roads?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:34 PM

No, no adapters or anything. Direct replacement.

And no offense but I'm kinda getting tired of people saying it's "how we drive". BS. Granted, PA is probably the pot-holiest state in the nation but if you saw the slalom course my wife and I live day to day dodging every bump, dip and dive in the road, and still end up with this many bent rims, you'd know it's not us. And the thing is, in my S5 I mentioned above with the 19" rims (bigger than the W212) I don't do a damn thing. Take everything head-on. Still all 4 original rims with no issues whatsoever. My wheel guy tells me he gets 3x more bent MB wheels than all other makes combined (I'll admit this is probably not backed up by science). If I had nothing but time and money on my hands I'd file a class-action.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New rims (non-amg)