MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   2012 backup camera loose wires? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/732108-2012-backup-camera-loose-wires.html)

speedydog5 01-06-2019 08:18 AM

2012 backup camera loose wires?

i have a 2012, backup camera started coming up black screen only, so when i went to back tapped on camera it comes on for a while until i back into my garage of course, is this a common problem, and how do i get to wires to check for a loose connection, or is camera going bad ?

Mud 01-06-2019 09:57 AM

Sometimes there's a bit of corrosion in the wiring connector at the camera. I had this and a few plug/unplug cycles and some dielectric grease later all has been fine for over a year now. You have to drop the trunk liner down to get behind the camera area for access to the connector. It has plastic retainer clips that pull out. I believe the plastic hinge covers also need to be included. I keep spares of those little plastic retainers in case one breaks.

Sunnyslope48 01-06-2019 03:02 PM

How far from the camera itself is this connection that needs attention? Is it hidden/obscured? I see what looks like a connector on the camera itself, but have been unable to detach cable from camera. Is there another connector further away from the camera?

Mud 01-06-2019 06:09 PM

No it wasn't on the camera. Follow the wiring, that connector was about a foot away or so if I remember right. Within the trunk lid framing.

Oda112 01-08-2019 10:16 PM

I had the same issue with mine awhile back. I can't find any posts where I described how o fix it so I might have not uploaded them yet, but the procedure is pretty simple. All you need is a prying plastic tool set and a few torx bits . You'll have to remove the trunk lid paneling and the trunk arms plastic covers ( all of them are held in by plastic pop clips).
Once you've done that, reach inside the trunk handle from the back side, there's a plastic part that slides out after you depress the clip holding it in and that will release the plastic trim which holds the license plate lights and then you'll have access to the camera. You'll have to remove it ( there's a connector about 3 inches from the camera body - it's very obvious - unclip that and the whole camera assembly should come out) and once you have it out you'll see how the wiring goes into its bottom, remove it from there and you'll see the water which is causing your intermittent black screen. Dry it up ( oven, hair drier, paper towels, laser if you're cool) , put some dielectric grease around all the weather proof (so called) connectors and plug everything back in.
I've done this almost one year ago and haven't had any issues since.
I'll post some pictures when I find them.
Good luck!
P.S.
I just realized Mud gave you the gist of it, my PC keeps resetting the page outlay as it loads commercials and I missed it.

Mud 01-09-2019 09:55 AM

Thanks Oda, that was a far better description!