MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Trip MPG (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/732112-trip-mpg.html)

mrenaud 01-06-2019 09:08 AM

Trip MPG

I just completed my first long road trip in my 2013 E350 from Atl to Phx and back via I20/I10. I have owned the car for about 18 months. Average mpg for entire trip was 28.61 at an average speed of 76 mph. Gotta love the 80 mph speed limits in parts of TX! The drivers seat which never bothered me on my local trips totally wrecked by hips/back on a 14 hour days. I had to resort to a gel seat cushion to make it home. The car performed absolutely perfectly with only a few light stone chips to show for nearly 4000 miles. Total vehicle mileage is now 31xxx.

kajtek1 01-06-2019 12:06 PM

You should have bolster adjustment in your seats? The buttons on side of bottom pad?
For long drives I have 2 memory setting. When for every day driving I like recliner-like setting with my legs close to horizontal position, that proved to be tiring, so 2nd adjustment raise the seat max up to make more like kitchen chair position.
That said my truck has high seats and I never got tired in it, even after 10 hr of driving even it has bench seat. I concluded that due to 2 facts
1 "kitchen chair" position
2 more space on truck bench, so I change my legs position in wide angle.
Texas sure doesn't have left lane huggers like West Coast does. I drive over 80 mph, yet getting average above 70 takes some skills. Another factor is trucks are limited to 55 mph, so when 1 decided to pass another one in front of you. you drive 60 mph for several minutes before maneuver ends.

mrenaud 01-06-2019 12:15 PM

I have the lumbar support buttons on the side of the seat, but no bolster adjustment. I'm 6' 185 but the seat seemed to dig into my hip/pelvis and pinch a nerve...at least that's what it felt like. With the gel cushion on the way home, the seating position was more upright and tolerable and there was no pinching. I likely won't have to make that trip again..especially in two days..and as long as I use a cushion on long trips, all should be fine.

pezzy669 01-06-2019 12:33 PM

Nice mileage from the M276, especially considering the average speed.

I had the same issue with seat comfort on a run from ATL-Jax, FL. Another member recommended a different seating position that I tried on my xmas trip from ATL-MN (18.5 hour each way) which helped tremendously with no notable back or leg soreness. My typical seating position for short drives is the rear of the seat bottom all the way down with the front raised for support under my knees, the other member recommended raising the rear so my seating position was more horizontal and more of a perch (imagine the front seats of a minivan) which I think helped/solved my back pain issue. Also don't forget to take your wallet out too!

kajtek1 01-06-2019 01:08 PM

x2 anything in your back pockets, like wallet will pinch a nerve.
I also wonder if TX is selling closer to 100% of gasoline as such mpg is not easy to achieve even with my 320 Bluetec.
But then I experienced that in the past, that left lane hugger can easy cost you 15% lower mpg.

TeeEl 01-06-2019 11:17 PM

Honestly, I feel like 14 hours in any position would suck. Even laying in bed! But yeah, in car seats I tend to slouch, whereas driving a truck (pick-up, not semi) I don't much. *Shrug*

Pretty decent mileage though. I did a long trek in my old '93 Civic forever ago and pulled around 40 mpg. I expect my E550 would get nothing close.

DFWdude 01-07-2019 08:20 AM

I recently drove 1350 miles overnight (20 hours total) nonstop (other than for gas/snacks). Got 33mpg - - no need to drive 80mph..

I've read all the moans about back problems from the "poor seat design." So I expected to feel the pain. But NO back complaints AT ALL for this 67 year-old. I habitually empty my two back pockets, as a thick wallet always causes problems in any car (my experience, at least).

There are too many complaints here about seat design, when in reality, it's a good seat designed to please the majority who do not have back problems. Sorry.

mrenaud 01-07-2019 08:33 AM

I agree that having anything in your back pockets can cause back pain, so I always put my wallet in the console, even for around town driving. I guess the seat bottom and my bottom just don't like each other very much and this time the seat won.

4Door63 01-07-2019 12:22 PM

Ditto on removing my wallet for long road trips. We just loaded the car with 5 of us and a truck full of suitcases for a road trip ourselves. Trip was 480 miles with an average speed of 71 mph, and my calculated mpg was 26.1 in the E550. Love these cars!