E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

W212 Seat Heater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon 2002 E430 2004 SL500
W212 Seat Heater

I have a recently acquired a 2011 E350 4Matic. The drivers seat heater seems anemic at best, are there different temperature levels that can be accessed via some double top secret method or is it back to the dealer and have them do this via STAR diagnostic?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Since this is a recent purchase have dealer check battery and run Xentry (MB diagnostics) quick test to pull any fault codes. Does concern affect both seat backrest and bottom cushion. If only one is affected seat heater may need replacement.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2011 E350
I have what appears to be the same issue. The thermal protection cuts the indicator lights off after about maybe 10-15 seconds at most. I checked the #12 fuse in the engine compartment based on diagrams. With fuse pulled no indicator lights at all. indicator lights return when fuse reinstalled. Just basic troubleshooting to start with. I finally found a diagram of the seat heater electrical connector but need to wait for my E socket set to arrive before I can remove seat. While I am waiting for that I will run seat full up and full forward see if there is something obvious I can see with the connector, loose, stripped insulation, loose ground etc... Ideally I would like to just loosen the mounting bolts and lift up seat while still in the vehicle again hopefully something obvious I can see and repair. If I see any problems at the connector then I need to go further. I am really hoping it is at the connector since I really do not want to remove the cushion. If I do have a bad heating pad/element then I will check in to recovering with KATZKIN leather covers and new heating pads for both front seats.

I have read the safety notes about disconnecting the battery for removing the seat which I can understand. Is there a special way to do it, do you only have to disconnect the main battery in the engine compartment or both main and auxiliary battery too? Co worker advises disconnect both terminals of both batteries and leave alone for 1 hour. That seems extreme but trying to get other input. I also want to make sure there is not a radio code that I will need like Honda and Acura. If I need the code that's fine I just need to know where to find it before seat removal.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:49 PM

2011 E350
Follow up, just got back from the circus yoga contortionist act. ran drivers seat full up and full forward. Checked all connectors under seat appear to be intact. That leaves heating pad/element or switch. Based on previous traffic unfortunately I am leaning towards element which of course will most likely require seat, cover and cushion removal. If I have to remove the seat cushions and covers anyhow I will check into re-covering the front seats anyway, the trick is to get a pattern where the fronts look like the back.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Seems like you are dealing with a lot of maintenance on a car you have only had for a couple weeks of do I have that all wrong? How many miles are on it?
Old 02-03-2019, 08:18 PM

2011 E350
Appears that way but some of my plans are more high mileage time stuff and me old school changing by mileage/time. I took the reduction on sale price to avoid having dealer put a cheap set of tires on just to say they were new. By going to Costco’s yes I paid but that also allows me to get the tires that I know work and can take the responsibility for. Alignment is of course part of the new tire purchase. The seat heaters, it was warm when I picked up so didn’t think to check the heaters. I am sure I am not the first one. I also plan a phased type of maintenance and do it in increments to basically replace major wear items. 1 high mileage/time. 2. No previous record of the work being done and vehicle almost 100K. Yes this was originally going to be a beater for back and forth to work but might as well get some sport and luxury right? Seat heaters are not critical and can wait until off season. Being in North Texas i also want to get some of the major items taken care of around now through March. The other window is October-November. The logic is quite simple......I don’t want to be changing high mileage wear items during the 100F summer days. Seat heaters being the exception there wasn’t any major items that were unusual for the mileage regardless of the vehicle. Most of the items I am planning are Proactive planning. My goal is to turn this into a full mission capable road trip vehicle with some decent convenience and luxury items. I have a good chassis, frame, engine, transmission and now tires to work with. Already almost 100K so runnit tillbthe wheels turn square. Keep the mileage down on my Explorer.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Ok, well I saw your other posts on making complete strut and shock changes as well. Nothing on these cars are cheap (especially at 100,000 miles) and I just wonder why you would lean towards any MB for daily exercise over other manufactures (Honda, Ford, Toyota, Kia, etc.). They are considerably less expensive to maintain. Just curious, that's all.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 e-350 (W-212)
I need help, as I am new to this forum and still finding my way around. I am having an issue with my 2011 E350. When driving I get the message of Command Shutting off and Pre Safe inoperative. My whole navigation system shuts down, the command radio and all. When this happens, my seat heaters will not stay on, and I notice the lighted steering wheel controls go off and on. Its in the shop now, and they seem to think its the fan in the radio?? Any suggestions would be great... Dan
Old 02-05-2019, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
It is the heating pad. Many many threads about this issue. I still yet to fix mine...
Lol its been 2 years. Sucks.maybe this summer or spring will attempt.
The following users liked this post:
toledotom (01-10-2022)
Old 12-28-2021, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Wagon 125th Edition
Follow-Up to your Seat Heater Issue

Hello:
I've read your postings on this issue and would like to understand a couple things as I'm having the same issue and as it's -20 to -35c here the past week I'm thinking it would be nice to fix before next winter.
So my questions are:
1. Did you replace the heater pad? If so, from where did you obtain the new heater element pad?
2. Did you find a youtube video as to the best procedure for replacing ?
3. Would you perform this procedure again, or let the shop take on this task ?
4. As your post was a couple years ago, and if replaced, how's it working out ?

Regards, Wayner

Originally Posted by 2011E350
I have what appears to be the same issue. The thermal protection cuts the indicator lights off after about maybe 10-15 seconds at most. I checked the #12 fuse in the engine compartment based on diagrams. With fuse pulled no indicator lights at all. indicator lights return when fuse reinstalled. Just basic troubleshooting to start with. I finally found a diagram of the seat heater electrical connector but need to wait for my E socket set to arrive before I can remove seat. While I am waiting for that I will run seat full up and full forward see if there is something obvious I can see with the connector, loose, stripped insulation, loose ground etc... Ideally I would like to just loosen the mounting bolts and lift up seat while still in the vehicle again hopefully something obvious I can see and repair. If I see any problems at the connector then I need to go further. I am really hoping it is at the connector since I really do not want to remove the cushion. If I do have a bad heating pad/element then I will check in to recovering with KATZKIN leather covers and new heating pads for both front seats.

I have read the safety notes about disconnecting the battery for removing the seat which I can understand. Is there a special way to do it, do you only have to disconnect the main battery in the engine compartment or both main and auxiliary battery too? Co worker advises disconnect both terminals of both batteries and leave alone for 1 hour. That seems extreme but trying to get other input. I also want to make sure there is not a radio code that I will need like Honda and Acura. If I need the code that's fine I just need to know where to find it before seat removal.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 cdi w212
There is a video on YouTube on how to change the seat cover that will help you a lot.