MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Interior Wood Door Trim Swap Process ?? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/733313-interior-wood-door-trim-swap-process.html)

S550e 01-18-2019 02:15 PM

Interior Wood Door Trim Swap Process ??

Hey fellas,
Planning on buying a full wood interior trim set in black. Everything seems pretty straight forward except for the door panels. Can you just pry them off with a trim removal tool? I’ve already taken apart my center console to replace the broken comand wheel, so I know how to do all that stuff. Long strip in center seems easy with some tool picks. The door panels seem confusing, they have tabs that look like you can pry them off but after watching a door panel removal video, it looks like they are fastened in with some caps on the interior side that you don’t see. Not much of a DIYer so I’m not really interested in removing the door panel and door latch cables.

Heres a door for example, I am referring to front and rear doors. Thanks guys!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ac2669a8f.jpeg

konigstiger 01-18-2019 03:34 PM

9 Attachment(s)
See attachments...

S550e 01-18-2019 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger (Post 7657787)
See attachments...

Thank you kind sir

xMaximus 02-07-2019 07:11 PM

Where are you buying your wood trim? I want to replace my faded wood trim, but there is not a lot of online retailers who are selling the 10-13'

cetialpha5 02-07-2019 10:15 PM

There are some sets on eBay. OEM retail is about 3k, but even online MB dealers are about 2k. In the past they were as low as $200-$300 for a used set, but those might fade again in the future. Best I saw was about $400 for a new set and they seem to be over $700 now for a new one.

new36956 03-18-2019 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 (Post 7675922)
There are some sets on eBay. OEM retail is about 3k, but even online MB dealers are about 2k. In the past they were as low as $200-$300 for a used set, but those might fade again in the future. Best I saw was about $400 for a new set and they seem to be over $700 now for a new one.

Can you send me the link where you find the new set? I have a dark brown wood trim. I'm looking forward to changing to, may be, piano black or something black.
I saw only used condition on ebay.

Mud 03-18-2019 10:02 AM

I'm not trying to disregard anyone's preference for physically replacing the trim pieces, just mentioning an option of using 3M, Vivvid or Dennison vinyl wrap to cover trim. Today's materials are available in lots of finishes and styles and are excellent quality. I'm not affiliated with any of them not do I have a business, just a hobbyist. I've would up now doing a number of family and friend vehicle exterior or interior trim and have found that the right choice yields a very nice classy appearance.
My MB has all exterior trim/grille wrapped, our truck has the interior oem painted trim wrapped, really like the look.
Just offering an option.

S550e 03-18-2019 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 7708308)
I'm not trying to disregard anyone's preference for physically replacing the trim pieces, just mentioning an option of using 3M, Vivvid or Dennison vinyl wrap to cover trim. Today's materials are available in lots of finishes and styles and are excellent quality. I'm not affiliated with any of them not do I have a business, just a hobbyist. I've would up now doing a number of family and friend vehicle exterior or interior trim and have found that the right choice yields a very nice classy appearance.
My MB has all exterior trim/grille wrapped, our truck has the interior oem painted trim wrapped, really like the look.
Just offering an option.

Hey Mud. This is a great option as well. After all of my wood listings on eBay sold, I have been looking into possibly wrapping all of my wood trim. Takes a lot of time, precision, and effort to get the job done looking right. I was thinking maybe a brushed aluminum as I had in my GS F Sport. Beautiful look on black interiors. I was waiting on the eBay listings because all of the trim pieces were used and one piece and a big chip. My wood is in great physical condition but the color has been faded. May consider wrapping

jonUF02 03-18-2019 11:09 AM

I hate the walnut wood trim, which seems to be the most common. After months of searching for a Black Ash wood set for my W212 without finding any used at a price I'm willing to pay, I decided to wrap mine with carbon fiber look vinyl. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Only negative is that now after a year+, I found that the edge of the vinyl against the top silver trim line of the door panels and dash piece has retracted a hair, and when the full sun hits it I can see the tiny brown line which can make me a little crazy with my OCD. Here are my initial results:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...bon-fiber.html

If anyone wants to trade a nice non-faded walnut set for a black ash set let me know.

For the doors, the lower portion prys out, starting from the rear. The top section you must remove the door panel and nuts holding the trim on the back. Reference the docs posted above.

Mud 03-18-2019 11:41 AM

S550e, there's a ton of finishes available. My exterior trim/grille is done in brushed titanium and I really like that look. Truck painted silver covered with gray carbon fiber, just examples of choices.
Jon, sometimes the vinyl edge can pull back if it's not been post heated after completion to eliminate edge tension from the initial installation.
In general don't be fooled by cheap Chinese wrap, the acids in the adhesive often do a lot damage.
Ckwraps on YouTube does excellent how-to videos, he inspired me lol. Maybe I'll start a thread on wrap ��

jonUF02 03-18-2019 11:45 AM

yes, I heated it and pulled / stretched around the back of the pieces where possible, the only point not really possible is at the top edge where the silver trim meets. I heated it and pushed it in the groove, then cut with a fresh x-acto knife (very sharp like a scalpel), but after some cycles in the FL sun for a year it retracted just enough to drive me a little crazy when you see the tiny brown line in full sunlight.

S550e 03-18-2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 7708408)
Ckwraps on YouTube does excellent how-to videos, he inspired me lol. Maybe I'll start a thread on wrap ��

Please do when you have some free time! Your write-ups for the pre-facelift community are always top notch. I read all of them even if I am not planning on doing to DIY myself :rolf:

cetialpha5 03-19-2019 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by new36956 (Post 7708208)
Can you send me the link where you find the new set? I have a dark brown wood trim. I'm looking forward to changing to, may be, piano black or something black.
I saw only used condition on ebay.

They don't seem to last long when there are new sets on there. Just keep searching for W212 wood trim. New sets seem to pop up once in a while. I think this is the part number: 2126801293

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...3/153089557848

At the dealer about $1950 plus shipping.

https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-pa...ing-2126801293

oogurkan 04-03-2019 09:45 AM

Maybe you can polish the existing trims, here is a few samples:

MBNUT1 04-03-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by oogurkan (Post 7722445)

This is not a scratch issue. The wood underneath the finish is fading.

MBNUT1 04-03-2019 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 7708408)
S550e, there's a ton of finishes available. My exterior trim/grille is done in brushed titanium and I really like that look. Truck painted silver covered with gray carbon fiber, just examples of choices.
Jon, sometimes the vinyl edge can pull back if it's not been post heated after completion to eliminate edge tension from the initial installation.
In general don't be fooled by cheap Chinese wrap, the acids in the adhesive often do a lot damage.

Please do. I'm on my second set of wood and its fading. Poor showing by Mercedes. Seems like wrapping the existing wood trim is the best option. I'm thinking a matt wood look. Can't be any worse than what Mercedes used.

Found this stuff
https://www.rvinyl.com/Wood-Grain-Vi...SABEgI00fD_BwE

Honestly it's a real shame because I think the wood trim when it new is quite beautiful.