MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Pennsylvania MB Dealer claiming they don't have title yet -& delaying purchase/pickup (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/733906-pennsylvania-mb-dealer-claiming-they-dont-have-title-yet-delaying-purchase-pickup.html)

DubVBenz 01-24-2019 03:50 PM

Pennsylvania MB Dealer claiming they don't have title yet -& delaying purchase/pickup

I've been in communication with Mercedes Benz of Pittsburgh for over a week about a used E400 I'm planning on purchasing from out of state on Saturday. I'd already planned my trip (650 miles round trip) and booked a hotel, along with putting the deposit on the car. Today, they sent me an email and said they don't have the title yet and that it may take over a week to obtain from the PA DMV. Now this car is a lease return they've had on the lot for sale since 12/13/2018 (6 weeks), so I have a hard time believing that. My best guess is they've found a local buyer who will pay them more and/or can do it sooner than this Saturday. The car in question is here https://www.mercedesbenzofpittsburgh...051a1bedd7.htm
I've checked online, but there doesn't appear to be a way to determine who holds a PA Title without submitting a paper request with a 5-10 business day turnaround. If they're being truthful, I may end up holding on and going up there a week or two from now to buy the car, but I'd like a way to verify if they're being truthful without calling them out.
If anyone here could run a title check or let me know if this sounds like a ploy to get me to back out, can you let me know? thanks!

rediesel 01-24-2019 04:20 PM

This is funny. My parents were shopping for an E class at the end of December and I found that one, but it looked like it sold before they could take a look at it (around Dec 30). They ended up with a loaded 2017 E300. I liked that car with the desgno interior and ttV6. I think my dad my have seen evidence that one was in a wreck or had a car-fax issue, but they were looking at 5-6 so I could be confusing them. I'd double check.

I wouldn't worry about the title. I've bough new and CPO from both MB of Pitt, as well as Rahal (sister dealer in Wexford), and never gotten a title immediately at time of purchase (paying cash/check). The only time it bothered me was when the manager was giving me static about a check from an "out of state bank" which was really only 60 miles away with branches in PA, and they didn't even have the title. Dealers don't usually have titles for these cars, and probably don't process them until the transaction is complete. You will get your title.

DubVBenz 01-24-2019 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by rediesel (Post 7663195)
This is funny. My parents were shopping for an E class at the end of December and I found that one, but it looked like it sold before they could take a look at it (around Dec 30). They ended up with a loaded 2017 E300. I liked that car with the desgno interior and ttV6. I think my dad my have seen evidence that one was in a wreck or had a car-fax issue, but they were looking at 5-6 so I could be confusing them. I'd double check.

I wouldn't worry about the title. I've bough new and CPO from both MB of Pitt, as well as Rahal (sister dealer in Wexford), and never gotten a title immediately at time of purchase (paying cash/check). The only time it bothered me was when the manager was giving me static about a check from an "out of state bank" which was really only 60 miles away with branches in PA, and they didn't even have the title. Dealers don't usually have titles for these cars, and probably don't process them until the transaction is complete. You will get your title.

Thanks rediesel , I appreciate it. They've actually stated that I would only be able to test drive but not actually purchase until they receive the title, which is what I believe to be a lie. They've indicated the bumper cover was replaced and that did show on the carfax. I've put down the deposit and all of that good stuff, but have been very honest that I'll scrutinize the car heavily in person and not to expect me to not walk away just because I'm driving 300+ miles to get there. I think they've decided that the potential for hassle is not worth the small margins on a used car. If the car's in junk shape, I've dodged a bullet, but it is a nice looking car and CPO'd, so I was hoping it would be good enough for 34K. Getting a little pissed that I arranged a trip with hotel, paid a deposit and had someone give up their weekend to ride with me all to have them pull the rug out from under me at the last minute. I'll likely be lighting up any sort of online reviews I can find if I can verify they're just screwing with me.

ygmn 01-24-2019 04:51 PM

nice car...
Title thing is weird but maybe MBUSA has it ince lease turn in?

good luck and the E400 are great cars as loaded with options
I like mine!

2011E350 01-24-2019 05:09 PM

I agree it is a bit of a wait but title should clear. As long as they are giving you the 30/45/60 day temporary tag and your insurance is contacted to add vehicle don't panic too much yet. I would definitely ask them if the title is holding up the deal as in financing. It shouldn't be a big deal. The financing will get approved and the PA title department will send it. Also remember and state governments to a lesser extent but GVVMNT SHUTDWN...….

I am confused....Your purchasing from MB PIT but they are purchasing out of state? is it one of their sister, brother, cousin who looks at your children way too long at family reunion dealerships? Uncle who for some reason is not allowed at the public pool during the summer dealerships?

12/13 makes is right at 42 days today. Deduct 12 days for weekends, Xmas, New Years plus possibility of personnel probably taking off Monday of both holidays that makes four more days, and MLK Birthday that makes it 17 days. Factor in the football purists that probably called in either Sick or Dead after losing seasons....Except for Cleveland...they are used to it....TOO SOON? Add in the sick calls or possible no shows for the Clemson fans, plus the Houston, Seattle, Baltimore and Chicago fans after Wild Card Weekend....Especially the Bears Kicker, he probably wanted to cut his toe off after that....Again too soon??

Now add in the Colts, Cowboy's Chargers and Eagles fans after Divisional rounds....and add Kansas City and New Orleans fans after last weekend....divide by the title department staffing and adjust for Cold/Flu, season, snow, fires, other life's mayhem events and in perspective six weeks isn't overly long.

Sorry I know your frustrated just trying to break the tension. One quick lesson from my time living in PA....Pittsburgh area ironically. If you are purchasing out of state Check two items. 1. Vehicle is factory equipped with CA Emissions,, trust me it should say it on window sticker or VIN search. As a exemption to rule 1....there is always some trick, and this one is believe it or not totally legal and in fact the PA DMV procedure for registration of NON California Emissions vehicles in PA. Part 2 If previously sold or registered in a state with NON California emissions make sure it is 7501 Miles or above. I guess they figure most engines, exhaust and emissions control systems are broke in by then. The other scenario and they will help you, believe it or not.... They will issue and renew/extend the Temporary Tag to get the vehicle above the 7500 mile threshold. I am sure they won't renew indefinite but I would say probably once if necessary. If you get bored check out some of the dealer websites for dealers along the Ohio/PA border. Window sticker check will probably show California Emissions. They don't sell every one but keep a few representative models of each fleet for exactly this scenario. Purchasing used even if was a executive/dealer demo it should have close to the 7500 mile minimum.

What part of OHIO? I lived in PA, purchased in Columbus (2014 Taurus SHO) but registered in TX. CA emissions not required because by the time the OH temp tag expired (45 days I believe for OH at the time) I was able to get a TX Temporary tag and extend once until I could afford the new vehicle TX sales tax and fees.

DubVBenz 01-24-2019 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2011E350 (Post 7663229)
I agree it is a bit of a wait but title should clear. As long as they are giving you the 30/45/60 day temporary tag and your insurance is contacted to add vehicle don't panic too much yet. I would definitely ask them if the title is holding up the deal as in financing. It shouldn't be a big deal. The financing will get approved and the PA title department will send it. Also remember and state governments to a lesser extent but GVVMNT SHUTDWN...….

I am confused....Your purchasing from MB PIT but they are purchasing out of state? is it one of their sister, brother, cousin who looks at your children way too long at family reunion dealerships? Uncle who for some reason is not allowed at the public pool during the summer dealerships?

12/13 makes is right at 42 days today. Deduct 12 days for weekends, Xmas, New Years plus possibility of personnel probably taking off Monday of both holidays that makes four more days, and MLK Birthday that makes it 17 days. Factor in the football purists that probably called in either Sick or Dead after losing seasons....Except for Cleveland...they are used to it....TOO SOON? Add in the sick calls or possible no shows for the Clemson fans, plus the Houston, Seattle, Baltimore and Chicago fans after Wild Card Weekend....Especially the Bears Kicker, he probably wanted to cut his toe off after that....Again too soon??

Now add in the Colts, Cowboy's Chargers and Eagles fans after Divisional rounds....and add Kansas City and New Orleans fans after last weekend....divide by the title department staffing and adjust for Cold/Flu, season, snow, fires, other life's mayhem events and in perspective six weeks isn't overly long.

Sorry I know your frustrated just trying to break the tension. One quick lesson from my time living in PA....Pittsburgh area ironically. If you are purchasing out of state Check two items. 1. Vehicle is factory equipped with CA Emissions,, trust me it should say it on window sticker or VIN search. As a exemption to rule 1....there is always some trick, and this one is believe it or not totally legal and in fact the PA DMV procedure for registration of NON California Emissions vehicles in PA. Part 2 If previously sold or registered in a state with NON California emissions make sure it is 7501 Miles or above. I guess they figure most engines, exhaust and emissions control systems are broke in by then. The other scenario and they will help you, believe it or not.... They will issue and renew/extend the Temporary Tag to get the vehicle above the 7500 mile threshold. I am sure they won't renew indefinite but I would say probably once if necessary. If you get bored check out some of the dealer websites for dealers along the Ohio/PA border. Window sticker check will probably show California Emissions. They don't sell every one but keep a few representative models of each fleet for exactly this scenario. Purchasing used even if was a executive/dealer demo it should have close to the 7500 mile minimum.

What part of OHIO? I lived in PA, purchased in Columbus (2014 Taurus SHO) but registered in TX. CA emissions not required because by the time the OH temp tag expired (45 days I believe for OH at the time) I was able to get a TX Temporary tag and extend once until I could afford the new vehicle TX sales tax and fees.

Thanks 2011E350,

Sorry for the confusion. I live in Virginia and would be traveling to Pitt purchase the car. I'd be putting around 50% down and financing the rest with MB of Pitt, which shouldn't have any problem clearing with my FICO score (and they've already run it as per my credit report). The car will ultimately be registered in an area of VA with no emissions inspections and it now has 28K miles, so I should be OK with any emissions stuff. MB of Pitt did not purchase the car, it's a lease return and looks like it was always registered in Pennsylvania.

The car is pretty loaded and sort of rare-ish, but I'm paranoid about buying it basically sight unseen.

2011E350 01-24-2019 05:48 PM

If it is a MB high volume dealer and it was a lease return then you should be fine. I am guessing after their inspection it might qualify for CPO status which Is good. If it was always registered and inspected in PA then I would be about 99% confident of California Emissions. The CA emission standard is not necessarily your county. Most states around almost 30 at last check require California emissions standards for initial registration. Since your last was PA should be fine even if not you would be good at the over 7500 mile exemption.

That reminds me inneed to check mine. Initial registration in SOCAllL so should have it but stil curious.

thefisch 01-24-2019 05:56 PM

Not saying they aren't BS'ing you, but I could see how a dealer might be required to have the title to sell to a buyer out of state who will be registering the car themselves. If the car was being sold in PA, then the dealer would file the paperwork on the buyer's behalf for the title transfer in PA. But since you're not registering it in PA, you may need the title to register in Virginia. If this car were new, then there wouldn't be the same issue.

If you want to know for sure, why not call another dealer in PA like in Philly and talk to the finance department and ask about title delays as an out of state buyer if you to buy one of their CPO cars.

DubVBenz 01-24-2019 06:36 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt for now and see where this whole thing takes me. I'm sure everyone understands the anxiousness when awaiting a car that you've been searching for for a while.

thefisch 01-24-2019 06:43 PM

Oh I get it. Given the scarcity of certain options, when you get the right combo of price, miles, color and options you better act quick.

2011E350 01-25-2019 03:59 AM

Yes I understand anxiety, but also patience. Funny how purchasing a car even used can turn the most hardened person into a little school girl isn't it?

ygmn 01-25-2019 06:57 AM

If you finance then it is MBFINANACE problem of getting title as they will hold it until note paid in full.

so this should all be non issue for dealership - unless they lost title etc and have nothing to turn in once you do the paperwork.

DO they know you are financing?

JSch 01-25-2019 07:47 AM

I bought a car from a dealer in AZ a few years back. Since AZ has electronic titles, I was given a 90 day temporary tag and got the title only after about 70 days. PA also has electronic titles, and since the car is a CPO car, I think everything will work out fine.

kajtek1 01-25-2019 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by JSch (Post 7663700)
I bought a car from a dealer in AZ a few years back. Since AZ has electronic titles, I was given a 90 day temporary tag and got the title only after about 70 days. PA also has electronic titles, and since the car is a CPO car, I think everything will work out fine.

I did exactly the same 3 months ago. It was small dealership thought.
I think the above situation calls for serious talk with dealership owner.

kajtek1 01-25-2019 11:54 AM

Trying to help, I check the availability and dealer responded.
Are you aware the car has reported accident?
Also it is listed as factory certified, not CPO
Lot of money for something that doesn't have fresh smell.

DubVBenz 01-25-2019 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1 (Post 7663867)
Trying to help, I check the availability and dealer responded.
Are you aware the car has reported accident?
Also it is listed as factory certified, not CPO
Lot of money for something that doesn't have fresh smell.

Thanks Kajtek, I appreciate it! Dealer told me it was a low speed collision (no other vehicles involved) that required replacing the front bumper, but that was all. Are you able to pull a MB VIN report or something that showed more detail, or did they provide more detail? Also, their website shows it under their CPO listings , so I assumed that was just how they referred to it : https://www.mercedesbenzofpittsburgh...anchor-model-5

kajtek1 01-25-2019 12:48 PM

As far as I know car with collision can't be CPO, but I don't buy CPO, so don't take my word for it.
small or big, accidents can be excuse for voiding the warranty, so would I be in your shoes, I would really work on my homework.
Dealer send me package, who included Carfax

KEY08 01-25-2019 12:52 PM

It appears to be de-badged. That always makes me nervous when looking at a car. It could be paint work or just a previous owner who didn't care for emblems. The car is very well optioned and that is great. A unicorn.

DubVBenz 01-25-2019 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1 (Post 7663925)
As far as I know car with collision can't be CPO, but I don't buy CPO, so don't take my word for it.
small or big, accidents can be excuse for voiding the warranty, so would I be in your shoes, I would really work on my homework.
Dealer send me package, who included Carfax

Thanks again, any chance you could DM me that one? I'm wondering why I never received that, do you have a dealer's license or something else that allows you to retrieve that info?

DubVBenz 01-25-2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7663929)
It appears to be de-badged. That always makes me nervous when looking at a car. It could be paint work or just a previous owner who didn't care for emblems. The car is very well optioned and that is great. A unicorn.

Exactly, I'm hoping given the options that the owner just liked the look of that. There's a nearly identical 2016 in Florida that I would prefer ( https://www.mercedesbenzoforangepark...a71532c828.htm ) but I'm not sure it's 7K better.

KEY08 01-25-2019 01:08 PM

They are both really nice. The '16 has about the same original warranty left and since they are CPO, I think the '15 is the way to go. You could shoot the Florida car an offer and see if you can close the gap.

DubVBenz 01-25-2019 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7663943)
They are both really nice. The '16 has about the same original warranty left and since they are CPO, I think the '15 is the way to go. You could shoot the Florida car an offer and see if you can close the gap.

May continue to monitor the FL car. Your 550 is the one I originally started looking for, but they're old enough now that finding low mileage examples with CPO is near impossible. There's only about a dozen for sale in the entire country currently.

KEY08 01-25-2019 01:51 PM

Wow, that’s crazy. It has been a great car.