MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Lost Key (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/734905-lost-key.html)

Salbuzz 02-03-2019 10:34 PM

Lost Key

I took my dogs hiking this morning and I dropped my car key somewhere along the 4-mile tall grass covered trail, there is no dealer where I currently live,
the nearest one is 60 miles away which is not a big deal except if they require an access to the car as the manual says,
the car is still parked in a parking lot almost in the middle of nowhere, I called a towing truck and we couldn't figure out how to shift the gear to neutral,
I heard somewhere that one can buy an OEM type of key and program it somehow?
I need the quickest solution as I dont want to leave my car for longer periods in there. the car is 2010 E350.
Thanks

KEY08 02-04-2019 07:49 AM

The tow truck can tow with a free wheeling hub. Look it up, he should know this. Since you obviously have no spare key You will need to order a new one at the dealer in person. You need to provide proof of ownership. It will take a week+ to get and cost is $350-$450. Sorry, that’s all I can offer without a spare key.

MBENZTECH 02-06-2019 12:41 AM

You can order a key and have it there the next day..... but Mercedes Benz USA will require the vehicle to be present when the key is picked up. So it's just better to tow it or you can find someone that can make a key. Not all locksmiths can handle benz key programming.

Sunnyslope48 02-07-2019 12:56 PM

And NOW you know why you should ALWAYS have a spare key !!

KEY08 02-07-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnyslope48 (Post 7675430)
And NOW you know why you should ALWAYS have a spare key !!

Too many used cars sold with one key and people roll over and accept it. Bad move.

Arrie 02-07-2019 04:48 PM

And if car is stolen and keys are missing you may have trouble with insurance to cover the stolen car.

For insurance you need both keys so they know someone else did not have the working key for your car to steal it.

rustybear3 02-07-2019 08:55 PM

Those keys are like gold...literally. You practically have to take out a loan to replace them. Each year these things go up and up. The markup must be incredible. Programming them isn't a cost factor. One poster on another thread said that MB wanted over $700 for a replacement key, and to re-program.

kajtek1 02-08-2019 08:37 PM

Call around. I know with a dealer 60 miles away you might not have many choices, but if the one 80 miles away will sell you the key without seeing the car - that will make your day.
Prices are all over the planet as well. Having 8 dealers within 1hr from San Francisco I always called few of them and the one in remote area always is having the best prices on everything.
Free wheel hubs never become popular, but wheel dollies are used successfully for 100 years.
If you call dummy towing, you are asking for troubles.

josef32 02-27-2024 08:19 AM

They Always Say Have A Spare key for these kind of Situations your best bet for a quick solution is to look into car key replacement options. You might consider getting an OEM type of key and programming it yourself, if possible. This could save you time and hassle, especially since leaving your car unattended for too long isn't ideal. Good luck with finding a solution for your 2010 E350!

rapidoxidation 02-27-2024 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by josef32 (Post 8930919)
They Always Say Have A Spare key for these kind of Situations your best bet for a quick solution is to look into car key replacement options. You might consider getting an OEM type of key and programming it yourself, if possible. This could save you time and hassle, especially since leaving your car unattended for too long isn't ideal. Good luck with finding a solution for your 2010 E350!

Spoken like an AI bot.

juanmor40 02-27-2024 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by rapidoxidation (Post 8930974)
Spoken like an AI bot.

to a dormant 5 years old thread.