MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Clearing your codes w/OBD2 reader (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/736714-clearing-your-codes-w-obd2-reader.html)

Edward993 02-23-2019 11:47 AM

Clearing your codes w/OBD2 reader

Hey all,

I have used my trusty inexpensive OBD2 reader for my other OBD2 cars, but not tried it yet on my 2014 E350: I want to clear the "last service since xxxmiles" pop-up warning message because I do my own oil changes and that silly message bugs me. Before I plug in and clear all codes, is this car "normal" and will respond normally, and the service message will clear? FWIW, I have no experience with these readers other than me reading/clearing codes. TIA! :)

Edward

DFWdude 02-23-2019 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Edward993 (Post 7688969)
Hey all,

I have used my trusty inexpensive OBD2 reader for my other OBD2 cars, but not tried it yet on my 2014 E350: I want to clear the "last service since xxxmiles" pop-up warning message because I do my own oil changes and that silly message bugs me. Before I plug in and clear all codes, is this car "normal" and will respond normally, and the service message will clear? FWIW, I have no experience with these readers other than me reading/clearing codes. TIA! :)

Edward

You should reset the service interval reminders using the procedure outlined in your Multi-Function display. (Search here for the steps particular to your MY car, or read your manual). You should NOT attempt to reset it using an OBD2 reader.

belarus27 02-23-2019 12:52 PM

https://youtu.be/YoXefpYHoKM

Sunnyslope48 02-23-2019 01:49 PM

I would suspect that the 'reminder' is not tied to the service codes that can be cleared by an inexpensive scanner. If you scan for codes, see if there is a DTC set for the reminder. Easy enough to do. I'd like to know what you find. And let us know what the DTC # is and in what module it was located (BCM, ECM, etc)

kajtek1 02-23-2019 02:20 PM

The cheapest scanner with FSS reset capabilities I found is iCarsoft for $150.
I could not find reset procedure in manual for newer car, but found it on forum for my 2014 model. Some procedures can be pretty confusing, so read it step by step.

Mud 02-23-2019 02:30 PM

Mr Kajtek is right as usual - my ICarSoft can clear the indicator but I typically use the vehicle on-screen menu.

Edward993 02-23-2019 09:55 PM

Ooops, I didn't realize that I could even clear it from the display (as none of my cars in the past have been able to do clear through user controls). But the 2014 E350 can? I'll look into the manual, thanks!

Edward

kajtek1 02-23-2019 11:34 PM

All MB FSS had option for owner-reset. It is just getting more and more complicated.
1996-2010 cars had option of HVAC codes and sensor reading on car climatronic.
That vanish from the menu completely.

Darel 02-25-2019 06:06 AM

My '14 clears right through the dash display.

However I have an "OK" OBDII reader (maybe $300) and just for fun when I had it out one day I tried plugging it into the W212 and it wouldn't connect.

Mud 02-25-2019 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Darel (Post 7690253)
My '14 clears right through the dash display.

However I have an "OK" OBDII reader (maybe $300) and just for fun when I had it out one day I tried plugging it into the W212 and it wouldn't connect.

That's strange, wonder if there is a pin mis-alignment in either the vehicle or the reader connector. Most obd2 scanners should be able to communicate for at least obd modes 1 through 4. My Konnwei 850 is much less than yours and works fine for generic obd scan and codes. Maybe see if you can get hold of another scantool to double check?

Darel 02-25-2019 10:40 AM

It's possible but I used the scanner on other cars before and after the MB, and the MB is currently at the dealer for some warranty work so I have to assume the first thing they do is plug it in, so I think it's kind of unlikely. Not really all that worried about it to be honest, so I probably won't bother with tracking down a second one. Maybe if I get bored I'll plug mine back in and try to figure out what's going on.

kajtek1 02-25-2019 10:50 AM

What is "OK" reader?

frederickcarney 03-31-2019 02:22 PM

i980 reader

What part of the 980 menu is the service reminder function reset located? I have used it before to reset B service but not "C" service. I just changed the transmission fluid and have an over due reminder. Also, I can't remember how I reset the "B" service reminder. Is it under 'reset all codes'? I sort of think I tried that but it didn't reset the "C" service. Thanks