MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Illuminated Star Issues (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/737166-illuminated-star-issues.html)

sethbratcher 02-28-2019 12:54 PM

Illuminated Star Issues

Hello all,
I am trying to install an after market illuminated star on my wife's 2015 E250. I have it installed in the grill, but cannot get it to light up. I have tried tee taps on the wire harness for the head light. I have also tried a fuse tap to install in the fuse panel under the hod but have had no luck. Can anyone tell me which fuse location this would be? Or, which color wire to tap in to, to have the star light up only when the headlights are on. Thanks in advance.

Seth

DFWdude 02-28-2019 02:37 PM

Among all the threads here regarding the aftermarket Star that I've read (hint hint)... no one has been successful in wiring it so that the star lights only when the headlights are on. The best achieved so far is wiring to a switchable circuit in the front fuse box (fuse #25 seems the most popular), and being happy with the star lighting when the ignition is running. This is how mine is wired. You won't be able to see the lighted star in daylight, but you will see it at dusk. And since it is an LED, the light should lask a very long time.

Unless you are a certified MB Technician, I would not venture into the dark arts by tapping into headlight harnesses, as any number of horrid things can happen. If you have already attempted this, I would reverse your surgery ASAP, seal it permanently, and pray...

sethbratcher 02-28-2019 02:49 PM

I have sealed up the wire harness wires for the headlight. I wonder if I can use the fuse tap in #25 for this?

DFWdude 02-28-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by sethbratcher (Post 7693484)
I have sealed up the wire harness wires for the headlight. I wonder if I can use the fuse tap in #25 for this?

Oh my...:mercy: The answer is yes.

sethbratcher 02-28-2019 11:07 PM

Well, I tried the fuse tap on fuse 25 and it lit up, but did not turn off when I shut the engine off. Does anyone know the fuse number for the low beams or day time running lights that I can try? Thanks.

DFWdude 03-01-2019 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by sethbratcher (Post 7693931)
Well, I tried the fuse tap on fuse 25 and it lit up, but did not turn off when I shut the engine off.

Before hopping from one fuse to another in a panic, count to 10 and do some experimenting. If you are in a dark garage while testing this, be aware the star may not go out until the lows time out, or until you open the door to leave the car.

Originally Posted by sethbratcher (Post 7693931)
Does anyone know the fuse number for the low beams or day time running lights that I can try? Thanks.

I have tried every switchable fuse in the box. There is no fuse dedicated solely to the low beams or DRLs (wish there was, too). Study your printed paper fuse layout to confirm.

Someone else chime in here. This newbie doesn't want to believe me.

dbldpr 03-01-2019 02:02 PM

On my E350 I am hooked up to fuse 23 under the hood. I also have a switch under the dash so I can turn it off if I want. The light goes on when the ignition is engaged or the door is opened and goes off about 30 sec after car is turned off

sethbratcher 03-01-2019 02:09 PM

When I tried fuse 23, the check engine light came on and the idle was super rough, and the light did not work. There are 2 slots on the fuse tap, but I cannot remember if I tried both. one seemed to work last night when I tried fuse 25 and the other did not.

dbldpr 03-01-2019 02:13 PM

You do know one wire goes to the ground the other goes to fuse. I used a piggyback fuse on #23. IF it does not work for you then I am at a loss Sorry..

sethbratcher 03-01-2019 02:15 PM

Yes. I have split the red and black and grounded it on the frame.

dbldpr 03-01-2019 02:35 PM

As long as you grounded the correct wire Black and red wires on german cars are not the same as in other countries. I know when I first hooked up I had the wrong one grounded. I am at a loss then. I would suggest going to an audio car shop and have them hook it up. Sorry.

fganter 03-02-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 7694517)
As long as you grounded the correct wire Black and red wires on german cars are not the same as in other countries. I know when I first hooked up I had the wrong one grounded. I am at a loss then. I would suggest going to an audio car shop and have them hook it up. Sorry.

Yeah, that recommendation does not work out. See https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7687789

What seemed like such a simple thing has turned out to be so frustrating.

However, there are worse things in life than not having an illuminated star on my Mercedes. :)

dbldpr 03-02-2019 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by sethbratcher (Post 7694501)
Yes. I have split the red and black and grounded it on the frame.

the black wire on the Mercedes benz is the Ground and the white is the power. not like on electric circuits in usa where the white is ground and black is positive.

walterk55 03-06-2019 07:48 AM

I see lots of lit up stars around here. Mostly on SUV versions driven by reflective sunglass wearing soccer moms looking their noses down on un-lit inferiors. My days of owning a Benz are coming to an end. The lit star was just one more nail in the coffin.

dbldpr 03-06-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by walterk55 (Post 7698528)
I see lots of lit up stars around here. Mostly on SUV versions driven by reflective sunglass wearing soccer moms looking their noses down on un-lit inferiors. My days of owning a Benz are coming to an end. The lit star was just one more nail in the coffin.

Everyone has there likes and dislikes. But to leave because someone has a lit star is rather radical.