E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Air Cleaner Intake-Inlet Duct Tube Hose Fabric DIY Repair (Bish Fabric Mender)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 01:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S, 4Runner
Air Cleaner Intake-Inlet Duct Tube Hose Fabric DIY Repair (Bish Fabric Mender)

Air Cleaner Intake-Inlet Duct Tube Hose Fabric DIY Repair (Bish Instant Fabric Mender Adhesive)

BACKGROUND. While doing an oil change, I noticed that my air cleaner intake duct hose was torn at one of the fabric sections in a circumferential fashion. It didn't look so much like a tear and more like an adhesive failure given the clean separation of the 2 overlapping ends. The 2 sections of fabric appeared to be originally glued together (possibly with a similar fabric glue like what I'm using below) from the factory. In the picture, marked in red was where the clean tear/separation in the fabric intake was. The separated parts had about a 1/4" sleeved overlap of fabric.

REPAIR. Instead of buying a new OEM flexible fabric intake hose ($70), I decided to repair it using Bish's Tear Mender ($6), something I've had good luck with my outdoor gear (esp zippers that are glued to jacket pockets without stitches).

Bish's Tear Mender is a latex based product and works with porous fabric/leather. You put the adhesive on both sides to be glued together (in this case, apply generous adhesive to both mating surfaces of the 1/4" sleeved overlap sections on the separated fabric ends) and then press them together. You should also check the inside of the tube as well to press the 2 internal fabric ends together to seal edges flat (I was able to get my hands in the internal channel to press the ends flat--if not, use a wide flathead screwdriver to push down on the interior ends) . Make sure you use plenty of adhesive to cover all of the mating fabric surfaces to ensure a good seal. You have about 3-5 minutes to work the overlapping edges flat together before it dries and creates a flexible (very important in this application), waterproof, permanent bond.

I've had great luck with my outdoor gear using this product and this repair is worth a try. The only thing that may cause this repair to fail might be prolonged exposure the higher temperatures in the engine bay over time (but I am guessing the prolonged exposure to engine bay temperatures are also what caused the original adhesive to fail in the first place), but I'll monitor.

For $6 for a 2 ounce squirt bottle, this seems to be a no brainer fix.

https://www.tearmender.com/tear-mend...ther-adhesive/

Amazon Amazon

$6 from Amazon. If pressed for time, you may find at a local fabric store as well.

Last edited by amg_w211; 03-31-2019 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mud (04-01-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Thanks for the write up! I had never heard of that product before, so thanks for educating me on its applications and how to use it properly.