MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Headlamps (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/744758-headlamps.html)

jayromeo 05-16-2019 06:18 AM

Headlamps

I want to upgrade my headlamps. Any suggestions? Is it worth upgrading navigation or keep using phone?
Thanks.

pamiboy 05-17-2019 11:28 PM

What year is your car? and what is the situation of your current headlamps? Please give us more information and someone will be able to help you.
Are you comfortable using phone maps? Do you frequently use navigation as a "necessity" (large city with frequent on going construction, frequent driving trips in your car to unfamiliar cities,..etc?. Or is it a simple "nice to view my house in the map" type of situation? That's a question which only you can answer. Even if you upgrade, most likely you won't see any difference otherwise, since even one tiny change in an address in the remote Hawaii / Alaska will also pass off as an upgrade. Even the most advanced navigation map will be ages behind google maps anyway. Drive another car (your model) which has upgraded nav and see if it has the changes you want, and if not, it's not worth anything.

pl626 05-17-2019 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by pamiboy (Post 7758253)
... Even if you upgrade, most likely you won't see any difference otherwise, since even one tiny change in an address in the remote Hawaii / Alaska will also pass off as an upgrade. Even the most advanced navigation map will be ages behind google maps anyway. Drive another car (your model) which has upgraded nav and see if it has the changes you want, and if not, it's not worth anything.

LOL, my thought of upgrading the OEM nav was to use WAZE via CarPlay...I've had two generations of Mercedes NAV, but since WAZE and Google maps hit the scene, it's a waste of money to pay the stealerships for any map upgrades. Just my .02...

As for headlamps, if you want to upgrade to the ILS or Multibeam, it's not a simple matter and it will require programming and a lot of new hardware & wiring. Financially, you may be better off trading in for a newer model that has these. Unless you have sentimental reasons for keeping your car, upgrading headlamps to ILS or Multibeam is like burning money...

jayromeo 05-18-2019 05:26 AM

Headlamps

My car is a 2011 E350. One of my lights looks to be going bad. I find myself using high beams more. My other vehicles has the LED lights and much brighter.

AZN Optics 05-18-2019 10:26 AM

Just do a simple HID conversion on your low beams. It'll make a huge difference over stock halogens. Plug and play, error free.

Morimoto canbus HID conversion kit

Mud 05-18-2019 11:27 AM

+100 on the Morimoto 35w canbus kit. I've had one installed for about 4 years with zero issues.
It's a great combination using the factory halogen projectors, great cutoff, and a vast improvement over the halogen bulbs.
Just be very sure the wiring access into the head light rear cover is sealed well.

PS add your car info to your signature so you don't get asked about what you drive when you post.