MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Trunk lip spoiler (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/749768-trunk-lip-spoiler.html)

nc211 07-07-2019 07:13 PM

Trunk lip spoiler

And yet again, this little trunk lip spoiler is coming off the car. The tape MB uses just doesn’t seem to want to hold. It was loose on one corner when I bought it 2 years ago. MB Tyson’s Corner did a crap job repairing it. Washed the car today and wouldn’t you know it, nearly half of it is loose now.

Anyone know a permanent fix for this? Super glue, epoxy, different type of tape? My car is black, and think the heat softens up the tape too much. It’s not like I will ever say to myself (hey, I think I’ll just remove it because I want to) in the future. I like it, if it could just hold on better....

LALALAND 07-07-2019 09:45 PM

3M double side tape. This should do it as it's wider then those half inch versions.
https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...-tape/196101_0

bob2011 07-07-2019 10:11 PM

I had issues even with 3m tape keeping my spoiler down, so I used the adhesive BMW uses on their cars for their spoilers. Never had issues again!

nc211 07-08-2019 11:31 AM

Thanks guys! I’m going to call a few body shops and see what they’d charge to reattach with better materials. All I know is, MB dealerships won’t ever see this car again... I’ve come to the conclusion they’re like lawn companies - the last thing they want is for you to have a perfect lawn, thereby not needing them anymore. Seems like every time I visit a dealership, I come out with a different set of issues. Heck, even the new tire I had to instal last summer in Indiana via road rash - ended up being a defective tire (I have the conti’s).

xradman 07-08-2019 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by nc211 (Post 7796947)
And yet again, this little trunk lip spoiler is coming off the car. The tape MB uses just doesn’t seem to want to hold. It was loose on one corner when I bought it 2 years ago. MB Tyson’s Corner did a crap job repairing it. Washed the car today and wouldn’t you know it, nearly half of it is loose now.

Anyone know a permanent fix for this? Super glue, epoxy, different type of tape? My car is black, and think the heat softens up the tape too much. It’s not like I will ever say to myself (hey, I think I’ll just remove it because I want to) in the future. I like it, if it could just hold on better....

MB Tysons is incompetent. I drive my way out to Arlington or Germantown for my dealer service despite these guys being only a mile away from my house.

Arrie 07-08-2019 02:51 PM

I had the trunk lid spoiler coming loose when the car was still under warranty. MB dealer service actually replaced the spoiler. Instead of re-attaching the original one they got a new part, painted it to my color and then they installed it and just a month or so later it started coming loose at both ends.

I did not want to spend more time with the dealer. Instead I bought the 3M two-sided tape and used it at the ends about 5-6" long. No issues at all after that.

I also have the rear window spoiler and it had the same problem. Used the same tape 5-6" long at each end and it has stayed in place fine.

The tape I used is the narrow I think 3/8" wide tape with red backing.

And I live in hot Louisiana with summer temps at 90+ for months and no issues with the spoiler adhesion at all. Almost makes me think heat makes it better for the tape.

nc211 07-08-2019 09:26 PM

Thanks guys! Arrie mine was the same way when I bought it, and they too replace the whole thing instead of just reattaching about 3 inches at the end of it. Made no sense to me other than to upcharge MB for something unnecessary. And when they did reinstall it, they scratched it up to hell and back. My avatar picture was after I had spent a weekend claybar and detailing the car. Few days later I took to MB Tyson’s for the repair... mistake..

i too go out of my way to avoid them after that (and a few other bad service visits). I’ve been going back to the selling dealer in Bethesda, but now that I’m out of warranty and service - I only trust Silver Star motors in fairfax going forward. Guy who owns it is German and has personally owned just about ever MB there has been for the past few decades. Only work on MB’s, nothing else.