MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Transmission issues (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/749781-transmission-issues.html)

Mcgregor1978 07-07-2019 09:50 PM

Transmission issues

My transmission isn’t very smooth. Well it’s okay if I drive like my mom but whether floor it a bit, it holds and drops back hard. Is there a solution. My transmission pan and oil have been replaced recently. I’ve ruled that out since the rough transmission has always been there.
Thanks guys

Siegmann 07-08-2019 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mcgregor1978 (Post 7797033)
My transmission isn’t very smooth. Well it’s okay if I drive like my mom but whether floor it a bit, it holds and drops back hard. Is there a solution. My transmission pan and oil have been replaced recently. I’ve ruled that out since the rough transmission has always been there.
Thanks guys

When you say it holds and drops back hard, what is happening as far as gear, RPM, upshift/downshift?

dbldpr 07-08-2019 08:19 AM

Merceds benz is noted for faulty transmissions. go to dealer and have them reset the trans so it can learn again. After about the 5th time my trans started to work correctly. MB knows about the faulty trans but they do not have a fix.

Mcgregor1978 07-08-2019 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Siegmann (Post 7797277)
When you say it holds and drops back hard, what is happening as far as gear, RPM, upshift/downshift?

When I floor it a little the rpms will go to say 4-5000 and when I let go of the gas it holds then drops hard to 1600. Feels terrible

Mcgregor1978 07-08-2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 7797295)
Merceds benz is noted for faulty transmissions. go to dealer and have them reset the trans so it can learn again. After about the 5th time my trans started to work correctly. MB knows about the faulty trans but they do not have a fix.

Thanks I’ll try that. I’ve read on here about the transmission reset with the gas pedal. Not sure if that’s for real or not. Do you know if the dealership will charge me? And if so, any idea how much? I guess I could just call them

nc211 07-08-2019 08:52 AM

The transmission is pretty good. The electronics that control it are the problems sometimes, hence the reset. To reset it is to clear out the memory, as it’s a “learning” transmission. I also think it has something to do with gaming the EPA / MPG import tax for German cars in general. I say this because VW/Audi is also known for their gear boxes acting sluggish and goofy when driven in automatic mode in a normal routine, on true dual clutch gear boxes. It’s the electronics...

To reset it is very simple.

If you have keyless start:

With car completely off, press the gas peddle all the way to the floor, and while holding it in that position - press the start button twice to get all of the car’s electronics to come on (don’t worry, car won’t start because you’re not on the brake pedal). Keep holding the gas pedal down for approximately 30 seconds, then while keeping pedal down, turn off the car and let it sit for a minute or two. Next time you drive it, the race to the bottom of the gear range should be far less intrusive. It’ll learn you again, and you’ll have to reset it again like this when you start to feel it acting sluggish.

For key start, do the same but instead of tapping on the starter button twice - just turn the key to the second position right before the start position.

On the hard hitting down shifts - how’s your trans mount? Has been my experience with any car that when it starts to thump/bump/slam under those situations, 85% of the time a mount is worn that is allowing the torque to shift the equipment against the frame touch point, and also introducing slack into the overall system. The other 15% of the time, it was fluid/filter/solenoid related. Also, when was the last time you changed the rear diff gear oil? That can play a part too if it’s worn out.

We have a Toyota Highlander with 110k miles on it now (2013). It was shifting hard recently, clunking around. Trans fluid is good. But the transfer case and rear diff were ready. Did that this past weekend, and it’s back to smooth as glass.

Mcgregor1978 07-08-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by nc211 (Post 7797324)
The transmission is pretty good. The electronics that control it are the problems sometimes, hence the reset. To reset it is to clear out the memory, as it’s a “learning” transmission. I also think it has something to do with gaming the EPA / MPG import tax for German cars in general. I say this because VW/Audi is also known for their gear boxes acting sluggish and goofy when driven in automatic mode in a normal routine, on true dual clutch gear boxes. It’s the electronics...

To reset it is very simple.

If you have keyless start:

With car completely off, press the gas peddle all the way to the floor, and while holding it in that position - press the start button twice to get all of the car’s electronics to come on (don’t worry, car won’t start because you’re not on the brake pedal). Keep holding the gas pedal down for approximately 30 seconds, then while keeping pedal down, turn off the car and let it sit for a minute or two. Next time you drive it, the race to the bottom of the gear range should be far less intrusive. It’ll learn you again, and you’ll have to reset it again like this when you start to feel it acting sluggish.

For key start, do the same but instead of tapping on the starter button twice - just turn the key to the second position right before the start position.

On the hard hitting down shifts - how’s your trans mount? Has been my experience with any car that when it starts to thump/bump/slam under those situations, 85% of the time a mount is worn that is allowing the torque to shift the equipment against the frame touch point, and also introducing slack into the overall system. The other 15% of the time, it was fluid/filter/solenoid related. Also, when was the last time you changed the rear diff gear oil? That can play a part too if it’s worn out.

We have a Toyota Highlander with 110k miles on it now (2013). It was shifting hard recently, clunking around. Trans fluid is good. But the transfer case and rear diff were ready. Did that this past weekend, and it’s back to smooth as glass.

Thank you for taking the time to write all that info. I bought the car used and haven’t changed the rear diff fluid. I will try that and the reset. Is it difficult to change the diff fluid??

nc211 07-08-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mcgregor1978 (Post 7797341)
Thank you for taking the time to write all that info. I bought the car used and haven’t changed the rear diff fluid. I will try that and the reset. Is it difficult to change the diff fluid??

I’ve not done the diff yet (or trans - I’m at 40k miles on a 2014), but getting close to doing all for my own sake. Can’t think the diff would be hard, but I don’t know for this car..

DFWdude 07-08-2019 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mcgregor1978 (Post 7797341)

One issue at a time. Try the reset first, and see how you like it.

I'm not aware what the interval is for rear diff fluid change... if there even is an interval.

Mcgregor1978 07-08-2019 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7797360)

I'm not aware what the interval is for rear diff fluid change... if there even is an interval.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I’ll try the reset today. Cheers

KEY08 07-08-2019 10:06 AM

I have the same car and transmission. No complaints from me with this transmission at all.

nc211 07-08-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7797385)
I have the same car and transmission. No complaints from me with this transmission at all.

What model year? Given electronics easier to update than transmission, I suspect some newer ones have adjusted settings from the factory to address the issue?

KEY08 07-08-2019 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by nc211 (Post 7797391)
What model year? Given electronics easier to update than transmission, I suspect some newer ones have adjusted settings from the factory to address the issue?

In my sig: 2014 E550 4M
I have never had to do a learn reset, but in all fairness no one else drives this car. It is driven every day as my daily driver and all maintenance by the book.

Arrie 07-08-2019 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7797360)

My 2010 E550 does not even have the differential oil change listed in the maintenance booklet. It is not planned to be changed within the mileage the booklet covers.

I had the transmission service done at 160000 miles and I asked the technician about it and he replied differential fluid is kind of no change item but that it would be good time to change at that time, which was also done.

KEY08 07-08-2019 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Arrie (Post 7797431)
My 2010 E550 does not even have the differential oil change listed in the maintenance booklet. It is not planned to be changed within the mileage the booklet covers.

I had the transmission service done at 160000 miles and I asked the technician about it and he replied differential fluid is kind of no change item but that it would be good time to change at that time, which was also done.

Yes, you are correct, Arrie. The AMG differential (locking) is the only one specifically scheduled for service in the maintenance manual. I just had mine changed at 55,000 miles as it was not looking good. Probably the only time I will have it changed while I own this car.

Mcgregor1978 07-08-2019 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7797406)
I have never had to do a learn reset, but in all fairness no one else drives this car. It is driven every day as my daily driver and all maintenance by the book.

Did they not remove the twin turbo after 2013??

KEY08 07-08-2019 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mcgregor1978 (Post 7797449)
Did they not remove the twin turbo after 2013??

Blasphemy! 2014 face lift was the last model year for the E550 in the US. Canada received an additional year of the E550 (2015).

Mcgregor1978 07-08-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7797456)
Blasphemy! 2014 face lift was the last model year for the E550 in the US. Canada received an additional year of the E550 (2015).

Lol, okay. Must have heard wrong, I only research my model year so I don’t know much about the others, my bad

nc211 07-08-2019 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7797406)

Man, that’s a sweet car! I can’t see your signature on the iPhone. I’ve often wondered if this transmission wasn’t better suited for that monster engine over the 3.5V6 that I have. I don’t think I recall many in the 550 segment really complaining too much about the trans being goofy, mostly in the smaller 350 segment like me.

KEY08 07-08-2019 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by nc211 (Post 7797467)
Man, that’s a sweet car! I can’t see your signature on the iPhone. I’ve often wondered if this transmission wasn’t better suited for that monster engine over the 3.5V6 that I have. I don’t think I recall many in the 550 segment really complaining too much about the trans being goofy, mostly in the smaller 350 segment like me.

Thank you. That is an interesting theory about the transmission being a better match for this high torque engine. There obviously is a much smaller pool of 550's out there, but I have not seen too many complaining about the transmission. There are several boosted and tuned 550's and the transmissions seem to be holding up just fine.

Arrie 07-08-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7797469)
Thank you. That is an interesting theory about the transmission being a better match for this high torque engine. There obviously is a much smaller pool of 550's out there, but I have not seen too many complaining about the transmission. There are several boosted and tuned 550's and the transmissions seem to be holding up just fine.

Don't feel the jerking for the soft rubber burning on road.....he, he...