MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   oetuning on a 550 non-turbo (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/749930-oetuning-550-non-turbo.html)

RDE38 07-09-2019 10:20 AM

oetuning on a 550 non-turbo

So I took advantage of the June sale from oetuning and bought a tune with the mygenius loader. I have read a few posts about people being disappointed and wanted to add my thoughts. I received the loader yesterday and within about an hour I was up and running with the new tune. You have to download their software to a computer and do some updates, then have the loader read your oem file from your car. This then gets uploaded to the computer and emailed to the company and they email you back the tune for your car. You put it on the loader and upload it to your car.

For people that say it is not worth the money, I highly disagree. You are not going to come close to the gains you would get from a turboed engine but that is to be expected and the price also reflects that. What you do get is a nice bump in power but more importantly for me is the elimination of the throttle lag. The acceleration is definitely quicker and the response time is much improved. There is a more noticeable V8 rumble under load which is a nice added bonus. I'm excited to drive it a bit more and see how it performs throughout the power band. I'm also curious to see potential fuel savings on extended road trips. I'll update this thread when I get some actual fuel numbers. I'm sure my hard right foot will have to settle down before I see a benefit there.

SALES@OETUNING 07-09-2019 01:40 PM

M273 E550 Tuning Review

Originally Posted by RDE38 (Post 7798318)
So I took advantage of the June sale from oetuning and bought a tune with the mygenius loader. I have read a few posts about people being disappointed and wanted to add my thoughts. I received the loader yesterday and within about an hour I was up and running with the new tune. You have to download their software to a computer and do some updates, then have the loader read your oem file from your car. This then gets uploaded to the computer and emailed to the company and they email you back the tune for your car. You put it on the loader and upload it to your car.

For people that say it is not worth the money, I highly disagree. You are not going to come close to the gains you would get from a turboed engine but that is to be expected and the price also reflects that. What you do get is a nice bump in power but more importantly for me is the elimination of the throttle lag. The acceleration is definitely quicker and the response time is much improved. There is a more noticeable V8 rumble under load which is a nice added bonus. I'm excited to drive it a bit more and see how it performs throughout the power band. I'm also curious to see potential fuel savings on extended road trips. I'll update this thread when I get some actual fuel numbers. I'm sure my hard right foot will have to settle down before I see a benefit there.

Thanks Ryan for the very nice review. I am glad you are liking the tune for your E550. Please keep us posted with regards to your fuel economy after tuning.

Red-Town 07-09-2019 01:57 PM

Is it worth it to do it on a 16 E350?

W212_Eric 07-09-2019 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Red-Town (Post 7798573)

I was wondering this too, except on my 2010 E350. Any thoughts?

TeeEl 07-09-2019 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by RDE38 (Post 7798318)

Great that you got yours after doing a whole bunch of work, but I'm just going to say, "No". I physically took my car to them (I'm about 15 miles from them), the tech hooked up their loader, laptop, etc., and did everything. Since they did everything there's zero chance I did anything incorrectly. Yet there was still no noticeable difference.

As for fuel "economy", overall I get about 13-14 mpg... and that's without me driving hard because I can only imagine how terrible it would be if I did. If I take it onto the 210 and drive east I'll creep up toward 30 but it'll nosedive as soon as I get onto the normal streets. If I get way out there onto the highway and I'm able to cruise at 75 I might be able to get more... but that's simply not realistic living in SoCal.

RDE38 07-09-2019 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Red-Town (Post 7798573)

Originally Posted by supremeboxlogo (Post 7798738)
I was wondering this too, except on my 2010 E350. Any thoughts?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. It looks on the V6 it adds about 20 hp. If throttle response is your biggest complaint then I would definitely say it is worth it. Maybe a little pricey right now until they have another sale but hopefully someone will chime in with experience on a 350.

RDE38 07-09-2019 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by TeeEl (Post 7798766)
.... Yet there was still no noticeable difference.

Is this your 2013 turbo v8 that you are saying you can't feel a difference? If that's the case I would have them reflash it. That should be about 100hp difference which would be pretty obvious. For what I paid from the sale I'm pretty happy with the results.

TeeEl 07-10-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by RDE38 (Post 7798779)
Is this your 2013 turbo v8 that you are saying you can't feel a difference? If that's the case I would have them reflash it. That should be about 100hp difference which would be pretty obvious. For what I paid from the sale I'm pretty happy with the results.

Yes it is. And the dyno I had it put up on afterwards put up abysmal numbers as well. (Sub 400.) The car is no slouch, but zero noticeable difference. I suppose I could contact them to see if they can redo/reflash it? I hadn't thought to do that.

RDE38 07-10-2019 03:49 PM

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I would have them reflash it. If you really wanted to you could also install a boost gauge to see what kind of psi you are running. If it's tuned then the psi should be quite a bit higher than stock.

RDE38 08-11-2019 06:19 PM

Just took my first real trip after getting the tune. I壇 say I知 getting close to 2 additional mpgs on the highway. City driving seems about the same, probably because I知 driving in sport mode more often.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e9b8b51a5.jpeg

SALES@OETUNING 08-12-2019 04:12 PM

M273 E550 fuel savings

Originally Posted by RDE38 (Post 7825889)
Just took my first real trip after getting the tune. I壇 say I知 getting close to 2 additional mpgs on the highway. City driving seems about the same, probably because I知 driving in sport mode more often.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e9b8b51a5.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback!

nota_amg 08-12-2019 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by TeeEl (Post 7799650)
Yes it is. And the dyno I had it put up on afterwards put up abysmal numbers as well. (Sub 400.) The car is no slouch, but zero noticeable difference. I suppose I could contact them to see if they can redo/reflash it? I hadn't thought to do that.

The other thing is, the car could have already had a tune on it...if it did, you would see little to no gain as well...assuming you purchased the car used. Have you had it at the track? it should run mid to low 12's if it is tuned. My 2012 E550 had a HUGE felt-gain, night and day difference. not sure what the car ran before(13.0?12.90's maybe?) but I ran a 12.40 in Houston right after I got my Eurocharged tune. I've done exhaust work since then, so I bet it's at a 12.1-12.2 now. We'll find out soon enough...my buddy says he runs 12.10's, and I was pulling him on the streets of Mexico the other day.

TeeEl 08-15-2019 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by couldnthinkaone (Post 7826659)
The other thing is, the car could have already had a tune on it...if it did, you would see little to no gain as well...assuming you purchased the car used. Have you had it at the track? it should run mid to low 12's if it is tuned. My 2012 E550 had a HUGE felt-gain, night and day difference. not sure what the car ran before(13.0?12.90's maybe?) but I ran a 12.40 in Houston right after I got my Eurocharged tune. I've done exhaust work since then, so I bet it's at a 12.1-12.2 now. We'll find out soon enough...my buddy says he runs 12.10's, and I was pulling him on the streets of Mexico the other day.

I mean, I guess that's possible... but not terribly likely. And wouldn't they see the mapping when they went to put theirs on? (Honest question because I genuinely don't know how it works.)
Also, I checked around and the closest track is 1/8... not 1/4. And they seem to host all sorts of stuff *except* just "average joe" drags. I'll keep searching.

nota_amg 08-16-2019 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by TeeEl (Post 7829702)
...wouldn't they see the mapping when they went to put theirs on? (Honest question because I genuinely don't know how it works.)

You would think so...but I also am not sure how it works, sorry...
But, the sub 400hp on the Dyno seems kind of low. Mine makes around 430hp/560tq at the wheels with a stage 1 Eurocharged tune...not sure what Dyno they use.

I just searched and found the chart you posted from your car...330hp/395tq at the wheels is stock power levels. You DEFINITELY need to revisit the tuner and have them reflash your car!

TeeEl 08-16-2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by SALES@OETUNING (Post 7798554)
Thanks Ryan for the very nice review. I am glad you are liking the tune for your E550. Please keep us posted with regards to your fuel economy after tuning.

What do you think guys? You willing to reflash the mapping?

TeeEl 08-20-2019 11:58 PM

Yeah, I didn't think so.

nota_amg 08-21-2019 11:22 AM

are you like super far from them? if not, just go by and have them look at it...

TeeEl 08-21-2019 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by couldnthinkaone (Post 7834161)
are you like super far from them? if not, just go by and have them look at it...

Like 45 minutes to an hour. Too far to go out of my way if they're going to just tell me to kick rocks. My ex lives down in that area so if we were still dating I could stop by, but we're not... so I can't. =P

nota_amg 08-21-2019 11:35 AM

I just don't understand how they could tell you that, I mean, you did pay for them to do the work. If they didn't do it, or did it incorrectly(and didn't even bother to check to see if they did it properly before giving you the car back) you think they would be willing to fix it. I'd gladly drive 2 hours to get my money back or have it corrected, especially for what they charge for a tune...

Honestly, I don't know how they could help without you actually going to their shop...:nix:

Also, if you go and they tell you no, are you within the window to file for a charge-back with your CC company? (assuming you paid with a CC)

TeeEl 08-21-2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by couldnthinkaone (Post 7834177)
I just don't understand how they could tell you that

Like this. "Sorry, it was too long ago and we're not going to check it now."

Originally Posted by couldnthinkaone (Post 7834177)
Honestly, I don't know how they could help without you actually going to their shop...:nix:

They can't. What I'm looking for is an agreement that they'll check it out if I bring it in, and putting them on blast for not responding to my request.

nota_amg 08-21-2019 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by TeeEl (Post 7834181)
Like this. "Sorry, it was too long ago and we're not going to check it now."

WHAAA??? Damn, WTF? They don't offer lifetime support like other tuners??? That's some BS! Eurocharged shop that did my tune offers lifetime support, as does RennTech. Hell, My tuner even said they would bump me to Stage 2 for no charge when I go catless...wow, just wow...

Maybe it's time to cut your losses and DEFINITELY go with another tuner...

nota_amg 08-21-2019 11:52 AM

did you purchase their "Flash Loader"?

TeeEl 08-21-2019 11:54 AM

Just to clarify, they haven't said that and I don't know that they would say that... but that sort of attitude is my experience with most businesses in general so that's kind of how I approach things... assuming I'll get screwed. Maybe they'll surprise me, who knows.

I didn't purchase the flash loader. =\ I might do that at some point but it's not something I've got right now.

In the end I guess I can just call them and see if they'll help out and report back.

RDE38 08-21-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by TeeEl (Post 7834193)
In the end I guess I can just call them and see if they'll help out and report back.

This is my suggestion. I知 not sure why you are using this thread as a means of communication with them. I would just call them up and explain what you have experienced. I知 sure they would just tell you to bring it in and let them check/reflash it.

TeeEl 08-21-2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by RDE38 (Post 7834198)
This is my suggestion. I’m not sure why you are using this thread as a means of communication with them. I would just call them up and explain what you have experienced. I’m sure they would just tell you to bring it in and let them check/reflash it.

Essentially because they pop up whenever someone compliments them, so I know they're reading it.