E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2012 M278 E550 motor mounts threaded base plate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 09:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 E550
2012 M278 E550 motor mounts threaded base plate?

2012 E550 M278 4-matic
I am having some work done on my car and the motor is coming out, so I figured I'd replace motor mounts while in there. Looking on VRP site, they say you need to tell them if they have a threaded base plate or not. Are there certain years that have threaded vs non, or is it random? How can I tell?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2023, 12:06 PM
SPONSOR

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts
AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
Originally Posted by bha280
2012 E550 M278 4-matic
I am having some work done on my car and the motor is coming out, so I figured I'd replace motor mounts while in there. Looking on VRP site, they say you need to tell them if they have a threaded base plate or not. Are there certain years that have threaded vs non, or is it random? How can I tell?

Thanks
If you havent already taken a look, we highly suggest you give our Elimivibe engine mounts a shot. Here is a link to mounts that fit your 2012 E550 4-Matic. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

12-14 Mercedes E550 4-Matic Elimivibe Engine Mounts
Old 07-01-2023, 08:29 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Funny. I'm the reason they added that threaded base plate comment. I ordered a set and the bases were not threaded, so I asked them wth? They said some cars, apparently 550's, have threaded. So they sent me threaded bases and a prepaid return envelope for the old bases. Easy peezy. I told them they should note that on the website, so they did. This was like a week or two ago.
Also, the top bolt on my mount is horizontal but the mount I rec'd is like the pix, vertical. They said the horz to vert adapter part of the oem mount comes off and you install it on theirs, a note they also added after my chat with them.
I also added they should make it clear that the price is for a pair (2) mounts. The way it's worded it could go either way and I almost didn't buy from them for that reason. After I did, I half expected only one mount to show up, which I would've returned. Apparently they did not listen my thoughts on that. Read it for yourself and see what I mean: https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/vrp...e-mounts-m157/

I haven't installed them yet simply because I dread doing it. Today was going to be the day but it's hot out, and I'm lazy, so I surfed forums instead, and here I am :o If anyone was wondering, I'm basically unable to pay anyone to do anything I can do myself. Call it a religion or whatever but I just can't do it. Plus I'd rather do it than make an appt, drive there, sit around waiting for hours when in that same time frame I could do, for free, and not be bored. Plus it's something stupid like $1000 to swap them. Hard pass. That's two sets of rear tires I could destroy! Or a hooker and blow. Kidding on the last part, mostly, but two sets of tires to ruin is in itself worth the work.

I'm also wondering if the height of the mount is correct. MB makes mounts of various heights so I wonder if the 63 and 550 are the same, because clearly the mounts are not. And from experience with MB cars, mount height is important. I've had two MB that had collapsed mounts, which only drop by maybe 6-8mm? As a result you get drivetrain vibration. Weird how it's so sensitive, but clearly important when using an aftermarket mount and you do not want to find out after you install them. So I guess I'll need to compared to my, now collapsed mounts, and est correct height and compare. The way they are made it appears you simply swap the internal urethane discs inside around, but that's based on a brief check when I had the base off, I did not fully disassemble the mount, which now that I think about it is entirely unlike me. Maybe I'll open one up later.

I also thought the mounts were only for RWD, but you have AWD? No clue how they're different, but clearly something is up.

Almost forgot. How I could tell is I simply looked under the car where the mount bolts are. Apparently most cars have bolts that go in from the top, thru the base of the mount, and thread into the frame. My bolts go in from the bottom, thru the frame, and thread into the mount. Much easier to do imo since the bolts are super easy to access. The top horizontal bolt is also easier, since I can clearly see it and access it where the vertical bolt versions you can find videos on youtube where people battle it.

Last edited by Chevota; 07-01-2023 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:16 PM
SPONSOR

AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
Originally Posted by Chevota
Funny. I'm the reason they added that threaded base plate comment. I ordered a set and the bases were not threaded, so I asked them wth? They said some cars, apparently 550's, have threaded. So they sent me threaded bases and a prepaid return envelope for the old bases. Easy peezy. I told them they should note that on the website, so they did. This was like a week or two ago.
Also, the top bolt on my mount is horizontal but the mount I rec'd is like the pix, vertical. They said the horz to vert adapter part of the oem mount comes off and you install it on theirs, a note they also added after my chat with them.
I also added they should make it clear that the price is for a pair (2) mounts. The way it's worded it could go either way and I almost didn't buy from them for that reason. After I did, I half expected only one mount to show up, which I would've returned. Apparently they did not listen my thoughts on that. Read it for yourself and see what I mean: https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/vrp...e-mounts-m157/

I haven't installed them yet simply because I dread doing it. Today was going to be the day but it's hot out, and I'm lazy, so I surfed forums instead, and here I am :o If anyone was wondering, I'm basically unable to pay anyone to do anything I can do myself. Call it a religion or whatever but I just can't do it. Plus I'd rather do it than make an appt, drive there, sit around waiting for hours when in that same time frame I could do, for free, and not be bored. Plus it's something stupid like $1000 to swap them. Hard pass. That's two sets of rear tires I could destroy! Or a hooker and blow. Kidding on the last part, mostly, but two sets of tires to ruin is in itself worth the work.

I'm also wondering if the height of the mount is correct. MB makes mounts of various heights so I wonder if the 63 and 550 are the same, because clearly the mounts are not. And from experience with MB cars, mount height is important. I've had two MB that had collapsed mounts, which only drop by maybe 6-8mm? As a result you get drivetrain vibration. Weird how it's so sensitive, but clearly important when using an aftermarket mount and you do not want to find out after you install them. So I guess I'll need to compared to my, now collapsed mounts, and est correct height and compare. The way they are made it appears you simply swap the internal urethane discs inside around, but that's based on a brief check when I had the base off, I did not fully disassemble the mount, which now that I think about it is entirely unlike me. Maybe I'll open one up later.

I also thought the mounts were only for RWD, but you have AWD? No clue how they're different, but clearly something is up.

Almost forgot. How I could tell is I simply looked under the car where the mount bolts are. Apparently most cars have bolts that go in from the top, thru the base of the mount, and thread into the frame. My bolts go in from the bottom, thru the frame, and thread into the mount. Much easier to do imo since the bolts are super easy to access. The top horizontal bolt is also easier, since I can clearly see it and access it where the vertical bolt versions you can find videos on youtube where people battle it.
Well the threaded vs unthreaded base plates is actually RWD vs 4-Matic. I do want to note that there are actually height differences between the two as well. Not sure how others are having you swap over the OEM top and maintaining the correct engine mount height.
Old 07-04-2023, 04:42 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
They claim the mounts are RWD only, and sent me unthreaded, so I "assumed" unthreaded is the normal RWD config and mine is an oddball? You're saying threaded is RWD? Uggg, very confusing...
I'm also baffled by how many different oem motor mounts there are, even for my specific car there are a variety of part #'s. Fewer aftermarket mounts to choose from, but still confusing.

I looked at the Creative Steel website before I ordered, but it doesn't show anything for my car, '16 E550 C207 RWD. I would've preferred black and it looks like yours are more compact and maybe easier to get in there? Plus I see you make a horizontal bolt hole, which would've been sweet. Knowing what I know now I'd imagine mixing some of your parts could make a set that fits mine? Oh well, too late now.

I also have a set of oem mounts for a '13 E350 C207 RWD that I never installed when I had that car, which look like they'll fit. I would've already tried them if it were easier to get in there.

As for the oem top adapter, assuming it swaps over as easily as they claim, I don't see a problem. But yes, I will adjust height if needed.
Old 07-04-2023, 05:39 PM
SPONSOR

AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
Originally Posted by Chevota
They claim the mounts are RWD only, and sent me unthreaded, so I "assumed" unthreaded is the normal RWD config and mine is an oddball? You're saying threaded is RWD? Uggg, very confusing...
I'm also baffled by how many different oem motor mounts there are, even for my specific car there are a variety of part #'s. Fewer aftermarket mounts to choose from, but still confusing.

I looked at the Creative Steel website before I ordered, but it doesn't show anything for my car, '16 E550 C207 RWD. I would've preferred black and it looks like yours are more compact and maybe easier to get in there? Plus I see you make a horizontal bolt hole, which would've been sweet. Knowing what I know now I'd imagine mixing some of your parts could make a set that fits mine? Oh well, too late now.

I also have a set of oem mounts for a '13 E350 C207 RWD that I never installed when I had that car, which look like they'll fit. I would've already tried them if it were easier to get in there.

As for the oem top adapter, assuming it swaps over as easily as they claim, I don't see a problem. But yes, I will adjust height if needed.
As you stated there are a few different types of engine mounts for the W212. E550 in particular have only 2 styles that I am aware of (RWD vs 4-Matic). You should have threaded base and a horizontal thread on the top. This mount is taller than the 4-Matic cars with a non-threaded base and a horizontal thread on top.

We actually still do not have your car on our website currently however they will be on there once anodize is done.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:29 PM
Veteran: Navy

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Creative Steel
As you stated there are a few different types of engine mounts for the W212. E550 in particular have only 2 styles that I am aware of (RWD vs 4-Matic). You should have threaded base and a horizontal thread on the top. This mount is taller than the 4-Matic cars with a non-threaded base and a horizontal thread on top.

We actually still do not have your car on our website currently however they will be on there once anodize is done.
Any chance for E250 4matic diesel any time soon. Just curious.
Old 07-09-2023, 12:12 PM
SPONSOR

AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
Originally Posted by Quint22
Any chance for E250 4matic diesel any time soon. Just curious.
I dont have a time-frame for those particular mounts however they are on the list of mounts to manufacture. They do have a sensor in them that will create some challenges, however, we believe that we have already come up with a solution.
The following users liked this post:
Quint22 (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 11:51 PM
Veteran: Navy

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Creative Steel
I dont have a time-frame for those particular mounts however they are on the list of mounts to manufacture. They do have a sensor in them that will create some challenges, however, we believe that we have already come up with a solution.
Curious what is the electrical connection for? Looked at a couple images and see that they have them just dont have the info.