MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   That is one fine lookin key fob (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/612684-one-fine-lookin-key-fob.html)

cleankutazn 01-17-2016 06:16 PM

That is one fine lookin key fob

1 Attachment(s)
Pretty sexy I must say :naughty:. The negative is that it looks like it would scratch up easily.

stealth.pilot 01-17-2016 08:41 PM

Finally! the old fob was ridiculous. Why use an old key as a fob in the day of keyless go!

cleankutazn 01-17-2016 10:05 PM

Yeah, the old key was around for 10 years already.

Russ103 01-18-2016 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 6679413)
Finally! the old fob was ridiculous. Why use an old key as a fob in the day of keyless go!

I seem to be in the minority on the keyless go thing. While I like the doors unlocking when you touch the door handle, locking by pressing a button on the handle, I can't stand the push button start. Actually, the part I hate is not having a designated spot for the key/fob to go, other then in the cup holder.

Why not create a dummy ignition/key holder for it? I can't be the only guy who hates having anything in my pocket while driving.

stealth.pilot 01-18-2016 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Russ103
I seem to be in the minority on the keyless go thing. While I like the doors unlocking when you touch the door handle, locking by pressing a button on the handle, I can't stand the push button start. Actually, the part I hate is not having a designated spot for the key/fob to go, other then in the cup holder.

Why not create a dummy ignition/key holder for it? I can't be the only guy who hates having anything in my pocket while driving.

I just don't understand why you don't leave it in your pocket.

Airmousam 01-19-2016 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Russ103 (Post 6680443)

I'm with you Russ, I popped the start button out before I left the dealership and just use the key. Wife has it in here Infiniti and also dislikes it...:y

MDMercedesGuy 01-19-2016 12:32 PM

There's just something about the act of turning a key to get the car going that I would miss.

MDMercedesGuy 01-19-2016 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 6680536)

I'm with Russ. Anything in my pockets or wearing a coat drives me nuts when in the car.

stealth.pilot 01-19-2016 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I'm with Russ. Anything in my pockets or wearing a coat drives me nuts when in the car.

So do you also take out your wallet and need them to build a wallet holder in the dash?

MDMercedesGuy 01-19-2016 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 6681267)
So do you also take out your wallet and need them to build a wallet holder in the dash?

No, it goes into the cupholder or stays in my bag.

You like sitting lopsided with something jutting into your cheek?

cleankutazn 01-19-2016 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy (Post 6681311)
No, it goes into the cupholder or stays in my bag.

You like sitting lopsided with something jutting into your cheek?

Front pockets?

Russ103 01-20-2016 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 6680536)

As I stated before, I don't like keeping anything in my pockets while driving for even a short amount of time.

Originally Posted by Airmousam (Post 6681186)
I'm with you Russ, I popped the start button out before I left the dealership and just use the key. Wife has it in here Infiniti and also dislikes it...:y

I had no clue you could pop it out and use the key. At least women have purses and I can understand the keyless go making more sense for them. We've all seen women going through their purse searching for keys before.

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy (Post 6681206)
There's just something about the act of turning a key to get the car going that I would miss.

Not just that, when I start the car in the morning in the garage, or my F-150, neither of which have keyless push button start, I simply reach in and turn the damn key while I go back in the house. With keyless start, I'd have to get in to put my foot on the brake. Annoying first world problem, but annoying either way.

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy (Post 6681211)

Which is why I'm surprised that no auto maker has yet (to my knowledge) made a key/fob holder for guys like you and me.

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 6681267)

Money clip goes into the center console, I wouldn't want something that big on the dash:D

pamiboy 01-20-2016 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Russ103 (Post 6682268)
With keyless start, I'd have to get in to put my foot on the brake. Annoying first world problem, but annoying either way.

I don't understand this statement. What has brake got to do with keyless go? It's simply the act of physically inserting and turning the key that has changed. Everything else stays the same as regular cars. ???

Axxlrod 01-20-2016 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Russ103 (Post 6682268)
Which is why I'm surprised that no auto maker has yet (to my knowledge) made a key/fob holder for guys like you and me.

BMW 5 and 7 series cars have a receiver in between the cupholders for the key fob. I'm sure some other models do as well.

Personally I'd prefer a "key card" that I could put in my wallet so wouldn't need to mess with a "key" at all.

Or have the MB app learn which car is yours, so that your phone becomes the "key" to the car.

Wolfman 01-20-2016 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Axxlrod (Post 6682436)
BMW 5 and 7 series cars have a receiver in between the cupholders for the key fob. I'm sure some other models do as well.

Personally I'd prefer a "key card" that I could put in my wallet so wouldn't need to mess with a "key" at all.

Or have the MB app learn which car is yours, so that your phone becomes the "key" to the car.

Our SL55 had a key card. And that was in 2002!
Maybe I am mistaken but AFAIK, the E-class can use a smart phone to start the car without any key or app use. I am not referring to remote start...

Russ103 01-20-2016 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by pamiboy (Post 6682333)
I don't understand this statement. What has brake got to do with keyless go? It's simply the act of physically inserting and turning the key that has changed. Everything else stays the same as regular cars. ???

You have to press the brake pedal while pushing the start button, hence my complaint about it. Instead of just reaching in and turning the key without pressing the brake.

Originally Posted by Axxlrod (Post 6682436)

Didn't know about BMW, good to know that someone has it so others won't be far behind I hope.

Dema 01-20-2016 03:39 PM

I do not understand why do we need FOB at all. 99% carry phones, and 85% of the phones as NFC capable. FOB is something obsolete. Train your phone for 10 seconds to get all FOB functionality and more and then stash FOB for next car owner. I guess everyone knows where to keep phone, so the problem solved.

Airmousam 01-20-2016 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dema (Post 6682591)
I do not understanrd why do we need FOB at all. 99% carry phones, and 85% of the phones as NFC capable. FOB is something obsolete. Train your phone for 10 seconds to get all FOB functionality and more and then stash FOB for next car owner. I guess everyone knows where to keep phone, so the problem solved.

What if your phone is dead or stolen, no thanks

Russ103 01-20-2016 07:05 PM

I do not understand why do we need FOB at all. 99% carry phones, and 85% of the phones as NFC capable. FOB is something obsolete. Train your phone for 10 seconds to get all FOB functionality and more and then stash FOB for next car owner. I guess everyone knows where to keep phone, so the problem solved.

I wouldn't want the car to be useless without my phone. Nor would I like to leave my phone in the car when it's at home in a garage.

Plus as already mentioned, phones die, break, etc.

No thanks, but we may see that soon.

Cao Black 01-20-2016 07:56 PM

I guess everyone knows where to keep phone, so the problem solved.

Well you can't keep it in your pocket, that's for sure.

I give keyless go 2 thumbs up, but to each his/her own. I wonder if others can sit to eat lunch with car keys or wallet in their pocket.

mnje350 01-20-2016 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot (Post 6679413)

Yes. . . My God that old one was so awful. Wow, boy do I hate having it. Ugly burns a hold in my pocket. Really glad it has been changed. Took too long. Don't know what they were thinking keeping that old fob so long. Whew now it's better. I can sleep again. I would buy what ever car that is associated with that that new beautiful Fob.

Oh gee, all of the fobs I have had for the last 10 years are keyless go regardless of what the look like. But yes, I do have to have then on my person. What a hassle.

Wolfman 01-20-2016 09:56 PM

The E-class is supposed to do that...

stealth.pilot 01-21-2016 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dema

It would really suck if you can't drive home because your phone battery died!

The Thomas J 01-21-2016 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Russ103 (Post 6680443)

I am with you. Keyless go is great for a woman who doesn't have to dig through her bag looking for keys. For men we need a hole to stick that stumpy key in.

Wolfman 01-21-2016 12:05 PM

I wouldn't buy a car that requires a key in the ignition. So 1990's...