E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

So is DrivePilot/P3 a total waste of money or even a public danger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by ADD0514
However, the car brakes and accelerates in a very forceful manner at various times - as if I stomp on the pedals rather than the normal modulation most of us would apply to them. This startled my wife on many occasions. Granted, the E300's heavy handed actions could be influenced by the actual traffic condition surrounding the car at that moment. Thus, I must test this feature a bit more to arrive at a more conclusive opinion.
Which driving mode are you in when the car is accelerating hard? In comfort mode it should be sedate, in sport modes it should be more aggressive.
The following users liked this post:
Mike__S (09-07-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
soon to be E300
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Which driving mode are you in when the car is accelerating hard? In comfort mode it should be sedate, in sport modes it should be more aggressive.
I haven't felt it accelerate hard at all, it accelerates perfectly in my opinion. I'm usually in comfort mode and it accelerates less than most other vehicles in other lanes actually. Usually it doesn't accelerate as fast as the car in front and gives more room then the orange line shows it should, if its set at 100ft it usually gives about 130ft or so and eventually catches up.

I think it does accelerate faster in sport and sport+ but can't remember.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
soon to be E300
Just played around and it does accelerate faster in sport, and even faster in sport+. Sport is a great compromise, sport+ seems a bit jumpy and comfort is a bit slow.

Oh I also noticed you don't need to grip the wheel when the alert comes on, seems i can just push any button on the steering wheel to get it to go away.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:36 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E300 P03
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
I mostly leave the car in the comfort mode. Most of the time, the car behaves normally with the DP engaged. Sometimes, it'd creep along with the slow traffic. When there's a break and the car in front starts to speed up, the E300 continues to move at a very slow speed allowing a wide gap between the 2 cars, then it accelerates hard forward and brakes to maintain the the space that I set earlier.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
If the drivepilot is anything like the distronic plus on the current E-class, I'll be happy to use it. I love that feature!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:26 AM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
I made some comments on Drive Pilot Technology in another thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...7-e-class.html

Pls take a look there, second post from the bottom of the first page for some background and considered opinion that might be helpful.

I can also make the suggestion that with new cars these days it is also helpful to study, not read, the manual. As in an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If the car is in Sport mode, Distronic can be unduly aggressive, especially for the unfamiliar or inattentive driver. It is suggested the car be operated in Comfort or Economy mode with Distronic engaged. See pp 160-62 of PDF manual.

Thanks!
-=m=-
Mike_S

Last edited by Mike__S; 09-07-2016 at 03:45 AM.