E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Am I the only E300 owner who's extremely disappointed?

Old 10-27-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by heatpipe
I've had my 2017 E300 4M for almost two months now, and still love the car. I'm biased though since I loved the physical design of the car the moment I saw it, and purchased one from inventory shortly after. Since this topic has a negative slant, I thought I'd share what I don't like about it.

- It's such a solid feeling car so I can't understand why on earth MB chose to use that piano black plastic on the center stack downwards. You can blow across the top of it and watch dust scratch it, it's that scratch-prone.

- The front stowage compartment is surrounded by this chrome-like plastic trim which has already started peeling due to my phone rubbing against it when I remove it. This stuff is seriously cheap. I'm talking cheap plastic with an even cheaper plastic veneer.

- The wireless charging is not useful since it's of the older wireless standard. What good is 8 hours to fully charge my phone? Hopefully MB made it modular to allow me to upgrade it to a fast wireless charging system should one become available.

- In order to get QC2.0+ rates of fast charging, I need to use a 12V socket, the only one of which is accessible to the back seats. Making one available in the front stowage compartment would've been a better design decision IMHO.

- And COMAND? It's pretty awful.

1. COMAND takes forever to power on to a functional state. I haven't clocked it but on the order of a full minute before I can enter a GPS destination or navigate my music collection. Powering on the car is analogous to having to powering on your phone from a powered off state each time you want to use it. It's 2016 for crying out loud! Persist the running state to flash and restore it to memory!

2. The COMAND interface is inconsistent. In some cases, a clockwise turn of the wheel will scroll down while in other cases it will scroll up (eg: menu navigation vs GPS zoom)

3. Voice recognition is both error prone and painfully slow. I think the car needs an online connection in order for voice recognition to work (please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain of this). It's sad to have to admit my 3 year old portable Garmin is light years ahead in this regard.

4. The GPS does not show you the route as a turn-by-turn list. At best, you can identify the next turn via 1) audio callout 2) the lcd behind the steering wheel. If you choose the latter, your only means of controlling music is via the center screen which squashes the GPS map to a tiny square, making it basically unusable.

5. Adjusting the volume during a GPS announcement permanently adjusts the announcement volume. I've done this to turn down the music only to have realized later that I've missed my GPS turns because the announcement volume was turned down. Flashing the screen of the lcd behind the steering wheel would have been a great option since it's easier to see in your periphery than the central lcd.

6. Even with multiple input methods only the wheel works consistently in Android Auto. The touchpads work intermittently depending on which app is in focus.

7. The media player is awful. To those with large CD collections, I highly recommend encoding your CDs to flac, and then using a program like Mediamonkey to automatically transcode the flac to high quality mp3 upon insertion of the memory card to your computer. It's a painless way to keep your music collection updated.
a. The good news is that COMAND supports flac playback. The bad is that it doesn't handle flac tags properly. Browsing a flac-encoded album results in an alphabetical listing of the tracks whereas mp3s are displayed in their proper track order.
b. Tracks with a common album name but different artists (eg: artist featuring artist XYZ) are listed as separate albums even when browsing by album! A workaround is to browse by folder, assuming you've organized your tracks within folders.
c. No way to maintain playlists!
d. Search loses state once you start playing a song. Upon searching and playing a song, you can't back out to the previous search results. Instead, you must search from scratch.

...and despite all of these issues, I'm seriously loving this car. I love the way this car looks, rides, handles, and sounds (that is, the Burmester sound system). Regarding engine sound, I'm still mystified how the engine (M274) sounds like a diesel at idle. Still, it's been decades since I've felt so moved by the design of a car, and I know I'm going to hold onto her as long as I can.
That's a pretty long list of dislikes, the driving and visual experience of the car must be something else to overcome what seems like material flaws in design. The electronic interface is so damn important in a car these days that your list could most definitely be a put off to many in a world of options. Mercedes is lucky,IMO, that they are a step ahead in the model upgrade cycle or they would be having much more serious sales issues due to your assessment of Command and no v6 without going a bit over the top in the e43. Great summary, well done! Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 E300 4MATIC
I previously made a long-winded post about what I don't like about the car, but I thought I'd add a couple of things to the list:

- The Homelink doesn't work when the vehicle is turned off. This means I need to start the car in a closed garage before I can open the garage door

- I've had to reset my COMAND system three times now. It grinds to a halt as if it's out of memory. Navigating the menu would take 5+ seconds just to move to the next item.

- WiFi and the MB Apps don't function maybe 1/10 times. Power cycling the screen doesn't reset the WiFi. I need to power off the car, wait about 5+ minutes, and then start the car again.

- A handful of times now the car would not connect to my phone via bluetooth. Power cycling the phone doesn't solve the problem. Again, powering off the car, letting it sit, and powering it on again is the only thing that works for me.

The software is really bad in this car. Hopefully they'll release an OTA update for it soon.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
I previously made a long-winded post about what I don't like about the car, but I thought I'd add a couple of things to the list:

- The Homelink doesn't work when the vehicle is turned off. This means I need to start the car in a closed garage before I can open the garage door

- I've had to reset my COMAND system three times now. It grinds to a halt as if it's out of memory. Navigating the menu would take 5+ seconds just to move to the next item.

- WiFi and the MB Apps don't function maybe 1/10 times. Power cycling the screen doesn't reset the WiFi. I need to power off the car, wait about 5+ minutes, and then start the car again.

- A handful of times now the car would not connect to my phone via bluetooth. Power cycling the phone doesn't solve the problem. Again, powering off the car, letting it sit, and powering it on again is the only thing that works for me.

The software is really bad in this car. Hopefully they'll release an OTA update for it soon.
I lost any Internet connection this AM. Called Mbrace to see if my account had been changed, but everything was correct. I went to my dealer and the service tech said that several cars in the past few days had the same issue. I called Level 3 tech support and they opened a PTSS on the issue. The dealer has no corrective software available to correct the issue. The net is: no apps, no traffic alerts, no internet radio, etc. I love being a BETA tester.

Last edited by HBerman; 11-21-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 E300, Selenite Grey, P2, Sport Wheel package 18" AMG, Leather seats
Originally Posted by HBerman
I lost any Internet connection this AM. Called Mbrace to see if my account had been changed, but everything was correct. I went to my dealer and the service tech said that several cars in the past few days had the same issue. I called Level 3 tech support and they opened a PTSS on the issue. The dealer has no corrective software available to correct the issue. The net is: no apps, no traffic alerts, no internet radio, etc. I love being a BETA tester.
I too have been pretty frustrated with Mbrace today. Console buttons didn't work today, then started working, no internet or apps, now my dash shows "SOS not available" although my big display screen shows SOS Ready. Mbrace only response is to take it to the dealer. It worked fine before I gave them my CC info.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300

at first I found this annoying in my MB but then I realized its a safety feature. If you park your car outside of your house, someone can break your window and then push the homelink button to get into your house. This way, they can't.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (05-02-2017)
Old 11-21-2016, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The Benz
I too have been pretty frustrated with Mbrace today. Console buttons didn't work today, then started working, no internet or apps, now my dash shows "SOS not available" although my big display screen shows SOS Ready. Mbrace only response is to take it to the dealer. It worked fine before I gave them my CC info.
Yes, I also have SOS not available. It's almost like someone forgot to place the ESN numbers for our cars with Verizon! I hope this gets fixed soon. I did go to the dealer for my issue, which started yesterday morning, and the tech told me that they had multiple cars with the same issue. There is no software update to fix this at the moment and I really think that it is an administrative issue with Mbrace and Verizon.

Last edited by HBerman; 11-22-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
foorget all the tech stuff, if i was an owner of a new E300 and i see someone parking next to me with a C300, I'D BE FURIOUS.

both cars look IDENTICAL, just a little bit bigger on E class. Plus it has the same 4 cylinder turbo as in the c class. The engine sounds like a HONDA CIVIC at full throttle. This is my number 1 gripe with my current C, which retails for over $50k. I can only imagine what E class owners feel about engine sound on their $60~$70k ride.

i was thinking of upgrading to a E class once my C lease is up. but i think i should be shopping around other luxury brands that have at least a V6 in it.

Now don't get me wrong, the interior design is miles above the competition. But when you are shelling over $60k, you expect at least a 300hp engine that doesn't sound like a civic.

my 02 cents
Old 11-22-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
foorget all the tech stuff, if i was an owner of a new E300 and i see someone parking next to me with a C300, I'D BE FURIOUS.

both cars look IDENTICAL, just a little bit bigger on E class. Plus it has the same 4 cylinder turbo as in the c class. The engine sounds like a HONDA CIVIC at full throttle. This is my number 1 gripe with my current C, which retails for over $50k. I can only imagine what E class owners feel about engine sound on their $60~$70k ride.

i was thinking of upgrading to a E class once my C lease is up. but i think i should be shopping around other luxury brands that have at least a V6 in it.

Now don't get me wrong, the interior design is miles above the competition. But when you are shelling over $60k, you expect at least a 300hp engine that doesn't sound like a civic.

my 02 cents

Mercedes has a history of having the C, S and E look like siblings. This generation of cars are no different. Last weekend I drove early morning into Manhattan where S Class "black cars" are very common. (Car service vehicles for those who are not familiar with the term). Driving up Madison Avenue as I approached two black cars which looked like the typical S550, I was surprised to see two new E300 black cars....hmm that is an interesting change.

So from your perspective, you see "identical" as the look between the C and new E. I see the design similarities between the S, E and C. BTW...each ride very differently which is not necessarily engine size dependent.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by mjsbenz
Mercedes has a history of having the C, S and E look like siblings. This generation of cars are no different. Last weekend I drove early morning into Manhattan where S Class "black cars" are very common. (Car service vehicles for those who are not familiar with the term). Driving up Madison Avenue as I approached two black cars which looked like the typical S550, I was surprised to see two new E300 black cars....hmm that is an interesting change.

So from your perspective, you see "identical" as the look between the C and new E. I see the design similarities between the S, E and C. BTW...each ride very differently which is not necessarily engine size dependent.
i understand their design language and how they differentiate each model but carry the same design DNA.

but take a look at last generation's C, E, and S. they all had the same DNA, but were clearly different from each other. Last generation's E class was one of my favorites. Looked confident, muscular to some extent and definitelly luxurious.
The new E is not necessarily bad looking, it's great as a matter of fact.
the problem is that they upgraded the C so much, that is making the E look cheaper than what it is. you know what i mean?
Old 11-24-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300
My wife blessed the car against my warnings. She had the tech person instruct her for 3 hours... Guess what the tech-lady could not answer multiple questions. I talked to the service rep ... they were clueless on the software inputs.

I drive a Lexus 450rx (hybrid) It was a new issue. Car's software was very intuitive.

The MB total experience from sales/service/tech support: SUCKETH
Old 11-26-2016, 12:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 E350
My experience is completely opposite of what is being posted here. With two exceptions the car performs exactly the way I expected it after the two fairly long test drives. The two exceptions are the Multibeam headlights are not available in the USA but the website makes it sound like it comes with the intelligent headlight package. Disingenuous advertising. The intelligent headlights do not come on if there are streetlights at times causing a manual input. I am a techie and the cars electronincs are very easy to navigate for me. I can see why it may be too much to handle for other owners. I find it may not be as quiet or as smooth as the 2014 E350 it replaced but it is entirely acceptable. The lane keeper overcorrects but I don't let it drive itself but is handy and take monotony out of long stretches of road. The bottom line is there is much room for improvement and hopefully it will work in an emergency.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The Benz
Any update on your issue? My situation is still unresolved and I have talked to the dealer last week to see if the "update" had been received (it had not). I guess that it's time to call MB HQ and loudly complain. The situation is unbelieveable at best.

Last edited by HBerman; 11-26-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by Stephen Lee
So, I guess the short answer is no. And my goal here is to strongly encourage others to thoroughly test drive the car and at least consider some of the points that I'm trying to make.

Here's the short version. I make a conscience choice that i did not want the 2016, so I waited for the 2017. When it came out, I loved everything that I read about it and liked what I saw when I looked in through the window. But, let's be honest, most if not all of the reviews are going to be positive, because, that's what they do.

Fast forward to the time of purchase, I did ask twice to drive the car. They were fairly busy that day and we were also working on the trade-in of my previous car, a 2014 E350. I was given various reasons why it couldn't happen right now, all legit reasons. The idea was to move forward assuming that everything would be fine and drive it as soon as it was available.

Well, after the paperwork was done, they finally pulled the car up and said take it for a spin. At this point, I was so excited to drive it that when I pulled off the lot, I didn't realize that it wasn't a test drive, I had just taken delivery.

Now, I know, this is my fault. And, I should have known better. All true statements. I did ask twice, but I should have held off on completing the paperwork or been more assertive. To be honest, I expected more of the car, more from MB, and more of the dealership.

I'm currently working this angle through the attorney general in my state.
Yikes! Test drive before you buy! The joys of having more tech in a car most people will never use or even know how it works. Live and learn. That is all that needs to be said.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 Mercedes GLS550
So the car is bad because you are upset with the COMMAND system? You thought it had a turbo 3.0 instead of a turbo 2.0?

Did you bother to research the car at all before buying?
The following users liked this post:
Boofhead (04-23-2017)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:43 PM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by damnitBobby
So the car is bad because you are upset with the COMMAND system? You thought it had a turbo 3.0 instead of a turbo 2.0?

Did you bother to research the car at all before buying?
I have an e43 on order and my main trepidation other than price is the Command system. Mercedes has not done a great job in that area, ever! In a world of ease of use of interfaces such as Google, the current Ford Sync system, most of the Japanese autos, Mercedes seems to go out of their way to over complicate as opposed to making ease of use a priority, stubborn Germans. Electronics in a car are more important than ever and are moving up the list of priority in why a consumer buys a particular car. They must start to get this right, too many people dislike their system, luckily for them they still make generally great cars, but that parameter is slipping as there are many competent choices. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:10 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by ngerstman
I have an e43 on order and my main trepidation other than price is the Command system. Mercedes has not done a great job in that area, ever! In a world of ease of use of interfaces such as Google, the current Ford Sync system, most of the Japanese autos, Mercedes seems to go out of their way to over complicate as opposed to making ease of use a priority, stubborn Germans. Electronics in a car are more important than ever and are moving up the list of priority in why a consumer buys a particular car. They must start to get this right, too many people dislike their system, luckily for them they still make generally great cars, but that parameter is slipping as there are many competent choices. Regards. Ned.

But as you know Ned, few vehicles drive, handle, and are vault like safe as a Mercedes. I personally think that there are too many electronics which is causing more and more accidents by distracted drivers.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mjsbenz
But as you know Ned, few vehicles drive, handle, and are vault like safe as a Mercedes. I personally think that there are too many electronics which is causing more and more accidents by distracted drivers.
I would agree that there is almost too much stuff, but making a majority of it simpler to access would be a help, not to mention making it intuitive and work. I recently had a Ford Fusion rental with their new Sync system and had no trouble easily getting it all to work without any manual or outside help, including syncing my phone, streaming music from my phone, making all sorts of adjustments. The touch screen approach is very direct and the logic is well thought out. Hoping for the best with the Comand system. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
The comand system really isn't difficult to navigate...again I previously owned a 15' C400 so the transition was simple. I purchased a P1...the P3 wasn't a thought only because I knew during my test drive engaging the parking pilot gave me the ******* so there would be no way I would utilize autonomous driving of any kind having said all of that the comand system is a piece of cake...
Old 11-29-2016, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by NYC-Style
The comand system really isn't difficult to navigate...again I previously owned a 15' C400 so the transition was simple. I purchased a P1...the P3 wasn't a thought only because I knew during my test drive engaging the parking pilot gave me the ******* so there would be no way I would utilize autonomous driving of any kind having said all of that the comand system is a piece of cake...
I need things to complain and worry about. Give me some space! Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:35 AM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by ngerstman
I need things to complain and worry about. Give me some space! Thanks. Regards. Ned.

Very funny...space granted!!
Old 11-30-2016, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
NYC, I find the E class software for the COMAND easier than that found in the C class, which is now the previous generation. Would you agree?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:52 PM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by joshg1001
NYC, I find the E class software for the COMAND easier than that found in the C class, which is now the previous generation. Would you agree?
Yes I totally agree...I like that you can give voice commands without actually being in that particular application...i.e. you can give navigation commands, or "call" commands; from any screen. Again I was a nervous wreck when using the parking pilot...that would be the biggest hurdle for me to overcome...I wonder if others feel the same or are they comfortable with the autonomous features.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by NYC-Style
Yes I totally agree...I like that you can give voice commands without actually being in that particular application...i.e. you can give navigation commands, or "call" commands; from any screen. Again I was a nervous wreck when using the parking pilot...that would be the biggest hurdle for me to overcome...I wonder if others feel the same or are they comfortable with the autonomous features.
I have not parallel parked in 20 years since I retired and moved to the country. The parktronic features would be the last thing I would order but the car in the showroom (a 2017 CLS550) was just exactly liked I wanted so I bought it anyway. I tried it just to see how it works and like you, I was a nervous wreck. No way I will ever use that. I can see it for city folks who would use it all the time and eventually get the hang of it but it is not for me.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:25 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
I oftened used the parallel parking function on my w212 and have zero trouble trusting it. It works perfectly and your feet are on pedals the whole time anyway. Now I've got the w213 will full drive pilot I now totally trust the adaptive cruise control during normal traffic but still get a bit nervous, well apprehensive really, when harder braking is needed or traffic is stopping. But that's when the benefits of the system are greatest so I'm letting it do it's thing and getting slowly use to it. It's amazingly good in stop start traffic, very stress free.

But I don't trust the steering assist. To be fair it's not supposed to be autonomous in any real way, it truly just provides assistance. Even though, it's easily fooled and frequently loses lane tracking. It does help on longer journeys as it provides a gentle hand but I still need to actually steer. Barring Tesla I guess it's another generation or two before steering is as reliably automated as the adaptive cruise systems.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 E350
Originally Posted by joshg1001
at first I found this annoying in my MB but then I realized its a safety feature. If you park your car outside of your house, someone can break your window and then push the homelink button to get into your house. This way, they can't.

Why not open the garage before getting into car? My opener is at the side of the door that leads into the garage.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I the only E300 owner who's extremely disappointed?