E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Picked it up this evening ...

Old 11-14-2016, 10:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by HBerman
Surprisingly, not at all. There is more than sufficient power to accelerate from 60-75. The transmission really is what makes the difference. The E550 never felt as good as this at low speeds because of the gearing. The 9-speed keeps the engine around 1800-2100 rpms in all gears up to 70mph. That is the sweet spot of the torque curve. Not enough miles to test at higher levels until I get 1,000 miles on the engine.
Sounds like you're really enjoying the e! What year e550 did you own? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by ngerstman
Sounds like you're really enjoying the e! What year e550 did you own? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
2013 E550
Old 11-14-2016, 11:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450; 2010 Chevy Corvette Convertible
Ned's question about the 19" wheels ..

Hi Ned ... I haven't found the 19" wheels to be rough, but for the most part I haven't really encountered any bad roads yet. The CLS had 19 inchers with low profile tires so this is better ... but I can feel the difference of the run-flat tires.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
Originally Posted by mjsbenz
Ned.

If you look through the past posts about concerns over passing, it is not from people who have driven the E300. Rather, it is the anticipation of a problem because the motor is a turbo 4. So far those who have them are not complaining.

Not that I have a long history with the new E300, but I had one for 4 days and 175 miles of seat time and the power was just fine.
I had an extended test drive in an E300 4Matic. A large portion of the test drive was on two lane highways. The high speed acceleration is anemic at best. It is a real issue. The car needs another 75-100 HP.

There won't be many complaints from owners because the folks who need the extra power are not buying the E300. The E300 is a nice in-town car or for touring interstate highways.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:16 AM

Horsepower is almost always a good thing ... and I will admit that the lack of horsepower compared to my CLS was a big hurdle to overcome. Moreover, I had an S550 as a loaner for 3 months, so I thought I was ruined for ever driving anything less than a twin-turbo V8 or V6.

However, after driving my car for two weeks, I am deciding my concerns were overblown. Yes, it is great for around town and the interstate... but that's where I do 90 percent of my driving. Coming home Saturday night on the nice section of expressway at 75, I hit it and was doing 90 within 2 seconds... not quite as fast as the CLS, but very acceptable. And the luxury and features of my E300 are superior to the CLS and comparable to the S550.

Bottom line, my car is beautiful and I really love both the exterior and interior ... and the driving experience is better than my CLS. Very positive steering, quiet, ample acceleration... and loads of tech stuff that even a 62-year-old has been able to figure out. If you've driven any recent Mercedes, then you will quickly grasp the logic.

While I have continued to engage in post-purchase evaluation, I have not experienced any cognitive dissonance... no buyers remorse here!

Last edited by Drgolf131; 11-22-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by Drgolf131
Horsepower is almost always a good thing ... and I will admit that the lack of horsepower compared to my CLS was a big hurdle to overcome. Moreover, I had an S550 as a loaner for 3 months, so I thought I was ruined for ever driving anything less than a twin-turbo V8 or V6.

However, after driving my car for two weeks, I am deciding my concerns were overblown. Yes, it is great for around town and the interstate... but that's where I do 90 percent of my driving. Coming home Saturday night on the nice section of expressway at 75, I hit it and was doing 90 within 2 seconds... not quite as fast as the CLS, but very acceptable. And the luxury and features of my E300 are superior to the CLS and comparable to the S550.

Bottom line, my car is beautiful and I really love both the exterior and interior ... and the driving experience is better than my CLS. Very positive steering, quiet, ample acceleration... and loads of tech stuff that even a 62-year-old has been able to figure out. If you've driven any recent Mercedes, then you will quickly grasp the logic.

While I have continued to engage in post-purchase evaluation, I have not experienced any cognitive dissonance... no buyers remorse here!
Excellent update and glad to hear you are enjoying your new E300. Are you having any "issues" that have been reported by some "E300 haters" . My car should be delivered in later December. I would appreciate any updates on your car. Thanks
Old 11-22-2016, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
And the luxury and features of my E300 are superior to the CLS and comparable to the S550.
Could you please expend a bit on this? I had E300 loaner for a day while my '14 CLS550 was serviced and drove '16 S550 extensively before deciding not to trade my '14 E550 for it (even with significant S discounts). Sorry, but IMHO E300 can not be compared to these two cars in the words described above, its not in the same league - much inferior to both and especially to S-class.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Could you please expend a bit on this? I had E300 loaner for a day while my '14 CLS550 was serviced and drove '16 S550 extensively before deciding not to trade my '14 E550 for it (even with significant S discounts). Sorry, but IMHO E300 can not be compared to these two cars in the words described above, its not in the same league - much inferior to both and especially to S-class.
Actually, I think we would all like to hear in exactly what way a 2014 CLS would be superior to a 2017 E-Class (besides the engine).
Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vipershade
Actually, I think we would all like to hear in exactly what way a 2014 CLS would be superior to a 2017 E-Class (besides the engine).
You got it in reverse order. The question was in what way W213 E300 is superior to W218 CLS and on par with W222 S? And yes the engine is a large, but not the only, part of driving a car.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
You got it in reverse order. The question was in what way W213 E300 is superior to W218 CLS and on par with W222 S? And yes the engine is a large, but not the only, part of driving a car.
I'm just trying to figure out what was meant by this:

Sorry, but IMHO E300 can not be compared to these two cars in the words described above, its not in the same league - much inferior to both and especially to S-class.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I understand that, but I would wait first until the response, if any, from the poster that it was meant for. Maybe you should wait for the response too as it seems that you took his statement as "true" (may be you did not drive both CLS and S) and mine as "false" (even though I have driven all three).
Old 11-22-2016, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
I understand that, but I would wait first until the response, if any, from the poster that it was meant for. Maybe you should wait for the response too as it seems that you took his statement as "true" (may be you did not drive both CLS and S) and mine as "false" (even though I have driven all three).
The OP didn't need to say anything. I didn't buy a 2015 W212 E63 because of the aged interior (and because I knew what was coming). I can't imagine a 2014 CLS being even equal to a 2017 E-Class let alone superior when considering everything but the engines.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We agree to disagree on the subject. You (as well as the OP) are entitled to your opinion and so am I.

Personally, I would never trade my '14 CLS550 for '17 E300, and to say that E300's "luxury features" are "comparable" to S550 is IMHO ridiculous (the price difference alone speaks volume - two E300s for one S550).
Old 11-22-2016, 11:35 AM

2017 E300 4matic Sport
We agree to disagree on the subject. You (as well as the OP) are entitled to your opinion and so am I.

Personally, I would never trade my '14 CLS550 for '17 E300, and to say that E300's "luxury features" are "comparable" to S550 is IMHO ridiculous (the price difference alone speaks volume - two E300s for one S550).

Each of us is entitled to an opinion. I will try to answer your question without bashing your 2014 CLS 550. Not polite.

The technology of the new 17 E Class is the next generation which the S Class will incorporate in its 2018 model. When selecting which model to lease, I am fortunate that all the MB vehicles were in play for me. I wanted a combination of new technology, the right size (the S Class is too big for my wife to drive), comfort, reliability (hopefully), reasonable performance and MPG, and a vehicle that looks great. The interior is steps above what was in my old E. Also important to me was to have friends and family fit in the back seat.

I lease my cars because the speed of technology advancements makes a 2 year old car very old. So, you might not agree with my take on the E but I suspect that the vast majority would.
The following users liked this post:
Drgolf131 (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes I get all the "technology" (a.k.a. "toys) staff. However, I want and love to drive a car myself (Tesla has technology second to none and drives fantastic as well, but would never buy one). Was annoyed by E300's "technology" when had it as a loaner for a day (almost impossible to adjust many functions without taking eyes off the road, there are many complains on the subject in different threads) and also could do without MB's "Driver Assist package, but learned to have to live with it as it was a standard feature on my White Arrow edition SL - do not like when car tries to slow me down or put me back into a lane when I do not want either.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:41 PM

Wow ... I'm amazed that a simple assessment should prompt such vitriol. First of all, this is my opinion and if you don't like it, then that's too bad. I gave my assessment after 2 weeks of driving my E300 and reading a lot of bashing that seems to come from people who have at best done a test drive or haven't driven it at all.

So ... having said that, the E interior is in my view superior to my 2014 CLS ... it's updated, more flowing, better seats, nicer video screen, cooler lighting ... don't get me wrong, I loved my CLS and had no intention to trade, but when MBUSA couldn't fix the Distronic problem, I didn't have a choice. But I didn't get another one because I felt the interior looks dated at this point and I'm sure that the CLS will get a revamped interior sometime in the next couple of years. Bottom line is that what worked in 2014 looked old in 2016/17 and I didn't want to pay that kind of money for yesterday's look.

As for my comment about the S550, my perspective was that the S is the gold standard, and loved driving the loaner for 3 months. Note I said comparable... not superior to or even on the same l level. But considering that the loaner stickered for 45k more I think I can say that the E 300 gives a comparable experience. If threembs doesn't like my assessment then go read something else. With leather and the updated appearance i stand by my statement... the E gives a comparable feel to the S, just in a smaller and more affordable package. And the look and feel of the tech is superior to the more expensive S ... my opinion, but an accurate one if one is objective. And yes ... it may take a little time to learn the system, but an hour with the tech concierge at my dealer was a big help. Trying to figure out any new car while driving is probably not a good idea these days ... and I say that after testing out several different brands over ththe last couple of months.
The following users liked this post:
mjsbenz (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow ... I'm amazed that a simple assessment should prompt such vitriol. First of all, this is my opinion and if you don't like it, then that's too bad. I gave my assessment after 2 weeks of driving my E300 and reading a lot of bashing that seems to come from people who have at best done a test drive or haven't driven it at all.

So ... having said that, the E interior is in my view superior to my 2014 CLS ... it's updated, more flowing, better seats, nicer video screen, cooler lighting ... don't get me wrong, I loved my CLS and had no intention to trade, but when MBUSA couldn't fix the Distronic problem, I didn't have a choice. But I didn't get another one because I felt the interior looks dated at this point and I'm sure that the CLS will get a revamped interior sometime in the next couple of years. Bottom line is that what worked in 2014 looked old in 2016/17 and I didn't want to pay that kind of money for yesterday's look.

As for my comment about the S550, my perspective was that the S is the gold standard, and loved driving the loaner for 3 months. Note I said comparable... not superior to or even on the same l level. But considering that the loaner stickered for 45k more I think I can say that the E 300 gives a comparable experience. If threembs doesn't like my assessment then go read something else. With leather and the updated appearance i stand by my statement... the E gives a comparable feel to the S, just in a smaller and more affordable package. And the look and feel of the tech is superior to the more expensive S ... my opinion, but an accurate one if one is objective. And yes ... it may take a little time to learn the system, but an hour with the tech concierge at my dealer was a big help. Trying to figure out any new car while driving is probably not a good idea these days ... and I say that after testing out several different brands over ththe last couple of months.
I agree with all of your observations. I've been driving my E300 for almost three weeks now and every day I am more and more impressed with the interior design and the smoothness of the drive train and the ride. Solid, firm control, a lot of customization possibilities, compared to my former E550. Plenty of power on demand when needed in my driving scope. My car is equipped with Air Body Control so that definitely tightens up the ride. No rattles, clunks, etc either. I also have the Acoustic package installed and that makes the car sound like a silent vault. My ONLY issue is that somehow the Internet connection, which was initially working for two weeks, has suddenly stopped functioning. The dealer is waiting on a software update to apply to my car and multiple others.

Last edited by HBerman; 11-22-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:52 PM

2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by HBerman
I agree with all of your observations. I've been driving my E300 for almost three weeks now and ever day I am more and more impressed with the interior design and the smoothness of the drive train and the ride. Solid, firm control, a lot of customization possibilities, compared to my former E550. Plenty of power on demand when needed in my driving scope. My car is equipped with Air Body Control so that definitely tightens up the ride. No rattles, clunks, etc either. I also have the Acoustic package installed and that makes the car sound like a silent vault. My ONLY issue is that somehow the Internet connection, which was initially working for two weeks, has suddenly stopped functioning. The dealer is waiting on a software update to apply to my car and multiple others.
Yours seem to be a highly optioned E300. What was the MSRP and would you mind mentioning the discount you received (either in this thread or PM). Thanks
Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mjsbenz
Yours seem to be a highly optioned E300. What was the MSRP and would you mind mentioning the discount you received (either in this thread or PM). Thanks
MSRP was $76,650. Discount was $4000 + free 1st month lease payment + 3 year/30,000 mile free maintenance.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:11 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Everyone has different driving habits and conditions and some cars are better suited to those conditions than others. Style and looks, both exterior and interior, are subjective. If someone says they are happy with the E class that is great and good for them. I only test drove the new E class and coming from my ML350 SUV it was indeed a comfortable and luxurious ride. The interior was very, very nice and so was the technology, albeit a bit busy and overdone.

My test drive was in the city, a place I seldom visit as I live in the country where the roads are in great condition, little traffic (including few police) and are all gently rolling and quite beautiful. You could run Formula One out here! The four cylinder E class just would not cut it the way I drive these roads and much of the technology is not needed. I also don't need a big back seat as there are only two of us and we seldom have passengers. In fact, the SUV was totally wasted for us as the last thing we need is a utility vehicle. Because my priority was fun, luxury and comfort - in that order, I took a look at the 2017 CLS. It was just as luxurious and comfortable as the E class in comfort mode but became a true beast in sports mode. What fun! Although the test drive was also in the city I did open it up a little and could tell (and hear!) the tremendous difference. This was a car born for my part of the country and my individual driving habits.

From the day i bought it I have enjoyed the CLS more than any other car I have had since my 1971 Formula Firebird. The CLS does not look like a small S or large C - it is distinctive, far more exclusive and the iconic "four door coupe" shape which created a new class of automobile is still one of the most beautiful pieces of metal on the road. The incredible 278 motor, along with the equally incredible 9 speed tranny, makes this a true driver's car when you want it to be, as well as a comfortable cruiser.

The CLS' individual looks and driver's aspect of this car makes it an admirable aberration in the Mercedes line. Engine displacements go lower and lower each year and the classes all start to look alike so I am happy to see the CLS is resisting this temptation. I just do not believe, at least in my situation, that I would be as happy with the E class in its current configuration. The bottom line is I have to have a luxury car that is fun to drive. To me, that is everything.