E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

New e300 owners-How's are interface controls?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
New e300 owners-How's are interface controls?

How is everyone finding the new interface controls. Is it intuitive to use? Big learning curve? How are the little mouse pad controls on steering wheel, a pain or useful? Does the voice command system work at all for the nav system? How is the nav, sucks on my 2011 e550. Is it easy to use the functions one uses all the time like ventilation system and radio controls? Do you generally like it or did they Go too far for no reason. Thanks. Ned.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
I coming from have a '15 C400 so transitioning to the E was...well EZ. I'm getting in the habit of trying to use the input on the steering wheel but I'm much more accustomed to the center console controls. I find myself too distracted when using the steering wheel controller in changing screens or making selections. In my C the command was "enter destination" the E is "navigate to"...in either case the system recognizes both voice commands. I use the buttons for controlling ventilation just much easier...however I do use voice command in going between radio stations. I'm comfortable with the system but I have been using it for 2 years now...it'll be interesting to hear what 1st time users think. What I do like is that once you hit the voice command button you can pretty much say any command you'd like...i.e. "call" or "navigate to" or other voice commands without specifically being in that application. Good luck Ned!!
Old 11-17-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213
I like the controls. Surprisingly easy to learn and quite a bit better than the 2012 GL450 we used to drive. I have used the nav once between NJ and MD, to a relatively easy destination. It worked as well as Google maps. HVAC is via physical buttons so again straight forward.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 E CLASS, 4-Matic, P3.
Just picked ours up yesterday. This is our first Mercedes. Haven't played with it a whole lot yet but I don't think it is intuitive at all. Must admit that I have pretty much ignored the steering wheel controls so far and have mainly used the center console. Going to try learning the steering wheel controls as my next goal.

I am impressed with the voice controls. Don't know many of the commands yet, but what I have used have worked flawlessly.

I do think it's insane though that you just can't reach up and spin a knob to change radio stations.

All in all, I think the controls will be great once I learn them, but I think the radio tuning is ridiculous.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
On my E300 test drive I tried to enter my home address via voice command. It couldn't be done. The salesman tried with a few alternatives and failed. Evidently the navi system doesn't like a street name containing 4 words. It had the same difficulty with some, but not all street names containing 3 words too.