MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Seat position and personalization based on the smart key (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/647991-seat-position-personalization-based-smart-key.html)

Mihail Zlatanov 12-25-2016 01:22 PM

Seat position and personalization based on the smart key

Hi There,
I got my new E220 four days ago. I'm coming from 2013 BMW 5 series and I totally love the Merc so far (Apart from the command system).
I got the car with the fully electric seats, but I can't figure out how to connect the seat position to depend on the smart key used. On the BMW if I use my key the seat will move it to my seating position, if my wife use her key than the seat will move to her position (Or last position used with this key). Also the Beemer would remember radio, phone connection and other details and personalize them based on the key. So far I was not able to achieve the same thing with my E-Class which is very disappointing.
Additionally the interior color or the whole user profile should be also selected based on the key used. It does not seem to be the case with is really stupid.
I hope I'm doing something wrong and there is a way to personalize the car based on the key used.
Any ideas?

c4004matic 12-25-2016 01:31 PM

Welcome! The fact is that mercedes hasn't evolved to that level yet! The system will not move autonomously, only by pushing the preset button, furthermore, you have to hold the button till it reaches its final position. All in safety's name :rolleyes:

konigstiger 12-25-2016 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by c4004matic (Post 7005152)
The fact is that mercedes hasn't evolved to that level yet!

211 had it, think it disappeared MY06 or there about.

Mihail Zlatanov 12-25-2016 03:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. I Was hoping that I'am missing something. However I could kind of understand this. In fact couple of times I did indeed squashed some stuff left between the back seat and the driver seat of the BMW. However MB should have made it at lest for the interior lightning and multimedia settings. I don't see any safety concerns if it lights light blue for me or pink for my wife's key. This now can only be done with the "profiles menu" which can't even be added in the favorites.
BTW are your command systems feel sluggish? Mine takes at least two second to load the phone menu for example. This is unacceptable for something advertised as technological marvel.
For me E class as car is currently sits in its own and definatelly higher class than the BMW 5 and current A6. But as multimedia logic, speed and intiitiveness is it 2 classes down vs. The BMW.
Still I love the E class so far but command needs lots of work.

c4004matic 12-25-2016 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger (Post 7005182)
211 had it, think it disappeared MY06 or there about.

Maybe someone did get their fingers or toes crushed! One thing is certain, the owners manual could be 1/2 its size if it werent for the endless, absolutely stupid warnings and legalese regardig the operation of every system in the car. Believe it or not there is even a warning regarding cold or heat injuries with the AC airvents :crazy:

Mihail Zlatanov 12-25-2016 04:27 PM

I was laughing today at the warning saying that , if second foot is not stable while the "kick" gesture for hands free trunk opening is performed, one can fall down and get injured ... :nix:
Thanks to people being stupid or trying to sue everyone for everything we are penalized.

joshg1001 12-25-2016 06:26 PM

In the command system, I see something about profiles, but I have yet to try it out and see if it links to anything.

Mihail Zlatanov 12-25-2016 06:42 PM

Thanks I played with those. They seem to be only available via the command system and not even accessible as favorites. Can't be connected with the key either.
Let me know if you find how to connect profiles with the key. That would be great.
I tried to call the concierge service and ask, but they work only on emergencies during Christmas.
I will also visit the dealer on Tuesday.

evanblack00 12-26-2016 04:18 AM

Why they can't put stupid warnings into another/secondary manual?

Beam 12-28-2016 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mihail Zlatanov (Post 7005189)
Thanks for the replies. I Was hoping that I'am missing something. However I could kind of understand this. In fact couple of times I did indeed squashed some stuff left between the back seat and the driver seat of the BMW. However MB should have made it at lest for the interior lightning and multimedia settings. I don't see any safety concerns if it lights light blue for me or pink for my wife's key. This now can only be done with the "profiles menu" which can't even be added in the favorites.
BTW are your command systems feel sluggish? Mine takes at least two second to load the phone menu for example. This is unacceptable for something advertised as technological marvel.
For me E class as car is currently sits in its own and definatelly higher class than the BMW 5 and current A6. But as multimedia logic, speed and intiitiveness is it 2 classes down vs. The BMW.
Still I love the E class so far but command needs lots of work.

I had the same experience, coming from BMW. The SmartKey is not all that smart in the Mercedes, our concierge confirmed that it does not do anything for remembering any setting. Also, I agree the MB Command system is nice but from usability point of view way behind the BMWs. Little, but very annoying things, besides remembering seat settings that we found are:
* Even shortcuts require at least 2 clicks
* No easy way to tell the car easily to navigate to home
* Sub-menus stay open even when going to another menu and coming back
* No easy way to close nested menus with one click, multiple back clicks needed
* Import of phone contacts to navigation system fail
* No storage of addresses other then previous destinations
* Maps are at least 3 years old
* Reading out text messages takes at least 5 clicks (unless you use Siri)
* In navigation screen there is no indicator for new messages anywhere

I still love the E-Class, but there is plenty of room to improve the UX with some software updates....hopefully.....

DMRDSM 12-28-2016 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mihail Zlatanov (Post 7005146)
Hi There,
I got my new E220 four days ago. I'm coming from 2013 BMW 5 series and I totally love the Merc so far (Apart from the command system).
I got the car with the fully electric seats, but I can't figure out how to connect the seat position to depend on the smart key used. On the BMW if I use my key the seat will move it to my seating position, if my wife use her key than the seat will move to her position (Or last position used with this key). Also the Beemer would remember radio, phone connection and other details and personalize them based on the key. So far I was not able to achieve the same thing with my E-Class which is very disappointing.
Additionally the interior color or the whole user profile should be also selected based on the key used. It does not seem to be the case with is really stupid.
I hope I'm doing something wrong and there is a way to personalize the car based on the key used.
Any ideas?

Yeah, had to laugh when I read your post. My Chevy Trailblazer LTZ, had the customization based on the FOB, for seats, radio, etc......back in 2002 or whatever the year was that the new style Trailblazer came out back then.

Bad enough that one was to hit the position number for the seat on the MERC, and hold it......it's so darn slow. Only had the car just over a month, but am never going to used to that.

joshg1001 12-28-2016 10:17 PM

Beam, thought you should know that when you hear the sound of the text message beep, click on the favorites "Star" button on the top right of the scroll wheel, when you see the row of favorites, after 1 second, there will be a text notification at the top and it will lead you directly to it.

frankj9000 12-30-2016 09:42 AM

Comment on a post a couple back...no easy way to navigate home. My wife figured out the following, create a contact on your phone, first name and last name HOME, Add your address, save.

Now you can simply say navigate home.

ADD0514 12-30-2016 03:44 PM

The COMAND's UI was designed for a touch based input system (2 of them in the E300! - The steering wheel's thumb-pad and the console's touch-pad) but was shackled by the backward compatibility needed for the rotary controller. Thus, we have to put up with all of the extra menus and clicks, even for the simplest tasks. The graphics looks pretty but can't hide the clumsiness and the distractions it demands.

Mihail Zlatanov 01-26-2017 05:46 PM

Here is the most easiest way to navigate home or office quickly!
To set it up: 1. Add your home or office address to the global destinations 2. Go there, select the address and hold the home button. 3 It will send you to favorites menu. 4 Select where you want to put it among the favorities.
Using it: When you want to go Home go to main menu, push the rotary wheel down, and select home or office from favorites. If not clear I can make short video.