MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Primary screen froze. Way to reset while driving? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/648284-primary-screen-froze-way-reset-while-driving.html)

DMRDSM 12-28-2016 09:23 PM

Primary screen froze. Way to reset while driving?

Got our E300, 4matic, p3, with the 2nd screen about five weeks ago. On our first major road trip with it and the primary screen froze. Navigation screen disappeared, was stuck on a radio channel (could not change the channel) time froze, consumption screen on the left size was there, but not working. No matter which method one attempted to unfreeze, it did not. Turned off the system a couple times, nothing helped. The heads up display still showed a turn in 96 miles. We got Google Navigation going on our phone until we found a rest stop and shut the car off for 10 min. Turned the car back on and a screen we had never seen before came up regarding resetting the Navigation. Guess it reset itself and then it worked.

This is our first Merc, but we have owned four Toyotas' with NAVS and have never experienced a screen freeze. On a 2,800 mile trip was not amused by this malfunction. Thankfully we were on straight stretch when it happened.

There was light rain in the area at the time, but nothing major.

Anyone know if you can reset a frozen screen or frozen navigation screen while in motion?

Does anyone know if freezing screens are common with Mercs? Thanks.

PeterUbers 12-28-2016 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by DMRDSM (Post 7007858)
Got our E300, 4matic, p3, with the 2nd screen about five weeks ago. On our first major road trip with it and the primary screen froze. Navigation screen disappeared, was stuck on a radio channel (could not change the channel) time froze, consumption screen on the left size was there, but not working. No matter which method one attempted to unfreeze, it did not. Turned off the system a couple times, nothing helped. The heads up display still showed a turn in 96 miles. We got Google Navigation going on our phone until we found a rest stop and shut the car off for 10 min. Turned the car back on and a screen we had never seen before came up regarding resetting the Navigation. Guess it reset itself and then it worked.

This is our first Merc, but we have owned four Toyotas' with NAVS and have never experienced a screen freeze. On a 2,800 mile trip was not amused by this malfunction. Thankfully we were on straight stretch when it happened.

Anyone know if you can reset a frozen screen or frozen navigation screen while in motion?

try holding the eject button for at least 10 seconds

DMRDSM 12-29-2016 05:54 AM

Not familiar with an eject button. Where would that be located?

c4004matic 12-29-2016 08:50 AM

There is no eject button since the there is no disc drive anymore!
Like any display an occasional reset may be necessary.
Welcome to MB! I can promise you you will not have Toyota reliability!! On the other hand, no Toyota has full digital instrumentation either! Nor drives like an E class. Compromises!!! In my expirience, the engine is bulletproof, other systems particularly electronics no so much :) Please note the package 3 has loooots of electronics!

BelaMeca 12-29-2016 01:35 PM

Happened to me today while i had my android auto connected.After like 30 seconds it restarted by itself...

c4004matic 12-29-2016 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BelaMeca (Post 7008555)
Happened to me today while i had my android auto connected.After like 30 seconds it restarted by itself...

That's encouraging!

joshg1001 12-29-2016 01:59 PM

the eject button was the restart method on the W205, which is now the previous generation COMAND software. Maybe some MB tech can chime in on the new procedure.

Also, is there any kind of secret diagnostic menu?

PimmyPooh 09-11-2018 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by DMRDSM (Post 7007858)

HI. I just have the same problem to the vehicle, How do you fixing it?

teksurv 09-11-2018 09:59 AM

I'm not certain, but try pressing and holding the power button, next to the volume rocker for ~10-30 seconds.

joshg1001 09-12-2018 12:53 AM

Yes that will restart the system. Keep holding down the power button until the nav screen turns off

Chana Piletere 01-11-2019 07:18 PM

Fixed Same issue

Originally Posted by teksurv (Post 7551140)
I'm not certain, but try pressing and holding the power button, next to the volume rocker for ~10-30 seconds.

this fixed mine @ 10 seconds in. Thanks so much for your suggestion!