Navigation Disappointment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
WOW...

now i almost don't wanna give up my w212 next week.
it has tomtom maps which I find very good.

But my E coupe which i had before this one (a 2011 blt) had very very sh*tty gps.
(no idea what the (map) brand was.)

Itt was so sh*t that i constanly had to drive with a portable tomtom.

it seems that with my next w213 those days will be back again..???

Last edited by Egonvdv; 07-18-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls500 2006,clk500 2004,e500 4matic 2004
Help please someone.where is the acc cable I have bought a aftermarket radio and no success in powering it on the seller told me test acc cable and I have no clue where it's at but I would assume mercedes doesn't have acc for radio since you can power the radio without having to turn the key?the radio is receiving power tho as u can see in the picture below but still won't power on
Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
You should first figure out your car model and then post at the relevant sub-forum (or at the audio&telematics section).
Old 07-19-2017, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls500 2006,clk500 2004,e500 4matic 2004
I did I posted in my car model but it's a ghost town in that section it's a 2006 cls500
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
You should first figure out your car model and then post at the relevant sub-forum (or at the audio&telematics section).
Old 07-19-2017, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W126-500SEC
Originally Posted by DMRDSM
We thought we were going to be lifelong Mer owners, but we travel a lot and the nav is a deal breaker. A Lexis GS is in our future.

Funny you should mention this. I own a 2014 Land Cruiser 200, and the nav is positively horrendous. Traffic udates appear when you've been in the jam for half an hour, it sends you off the ooframp only to have you enter the motorway on the opposite ramp, the voice has a really thick Dutch accent, and using voice to enter an address is neigh impossible. I find it dramatically bad.

I used the GLS nav when I tested the car, and found the nav to be a real upgrade.

Pete
Old 04-13-2018, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what I find strange is that there seems to be no way to get a list of "incidents" on your route.
(I've gone through all menus but can not find it...)

The only way to get this information is to slide the pointer on the map to the symbol that shows an incident
and then select it to get the information. (This in itself is already quite difficult to do when you are driving,
as you need to be exactly on the symbol..)

you have to repeat this for every single incident on route.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Weekend: 2010 SL 350 r230 Weekdays: 2018 E220d Coupe
I know it isn’t any compensation, but two of my colleagues have Jaguar cars and it’s a standing joke with them that they never end up in the right place.

The UK maps seem okay in my e Class Coupe.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the maps & directions are good, no complaints there.
it's just the overall functionality which is bad.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
I agree. I've come from 2 x Audi A5 cabrios ( 2012 and 2014) with Audi MMI Plus DVD based Sat Nav ( the better one).
It gave you proper notice coming up to exits, not at the last minute like with Comand Online, and when entering the address it gave you a complete overview of the possible routes so you actually had a clear idea of the routes you were heading on.
The comand online just shows you a zoomed in immediate direction and you cannot easily see what the general route is.
It's also much more fiddly to scroll across the map. Apart from the size of the screen and the live traffic the nav functionality of Comand Online is poor .
Old 04-13-2018, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
I mostly use the HUD display for navigation upcoming turns. It shows the distance to the turn as well as the proper lane to be in.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
I have used the display behind the steering wheel, set at navigation, it gives the next turn and distance. I am also disappointed in MB's navigation program's overall functionality. I expected more from German engineering.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
E300
Has the guidance improved with navigation updates? Or is it about the same.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:12 PM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2015 S-550
Fully agree. I had lots of problems with the nav system on my 2019 S 450. Mercedes ought to be ashamed.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 E350
I concur. The NAV system on my 2020 E-350 is the worst I have ever used and it appears that M/B has no plans to improve it

Last edited by Randyjaco; 07-12-2020 at 04:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Randyjaco:
bellavance (07-12-2020), JTK44 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
I never use Navigation in my 2018 E300.
Google Maps on CarPlay, even if it’s not perfect, is way better, almost always up to date, and displays traffic, suggesting the fastest way to my destination.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:15 PM

2018 E300 4Matic.
As usual. MB is not Tesla ...

As usual. MB is not Tesla ...

Originally Posted by Randyjaco
I concur. The NAV system on my 2020 E-350 is the worst I have ever used and it appears that M/B has no plans to improve it
Old 07-12-2020, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
My neighbor's Tesla navigation is just about as bad as the MB navigation. Often both will indicate the destination is on the right when it is actually on the left.
The following users liked this post:
bellavance (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:36 PM

2018 E300 4Matic.
At least Tesla updates often ...

At least, Tesla updates its systems often. MB usually does not update. What you buy is usually what you get, for the life of the car.

Originally Posted by ua549
My neighbor's Tesla navigation is just about as bad as the MB navigation. Often both will indicate the destination is on the right when it is actually on the left.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by bellavance
At least, Tesla updates its systems often. MB usually does not update. What you buy is usually what you get, for the life of the car.
They fixed that. From 2019 you can download map updates to a USB stick and install them yourself for free. I've updated my maps five times since January 2019, most recently last week. Nav is not too bad any more.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 417 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
I just use WAZE: I am tired of fighting with the MB navigation: I speak English: WAZE understands me. MB navigation does not.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,452 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by whoover
They fixed that. From 2019 you can download map updates to a USB stick and install them yourself for free. I've updated my maps five times since January 2019, most recently last week. Nav is not too bad any more.
+1...They are even automatically updated for the home region via OTA. COMAND 5.5 as of 2019 and MBUX are not your MB nav systems of old anymore. Things change.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
'17 E300
I was recently on vacation and rented an Audi that has the navigation system that takes up the entire space behind the wheel. I drove all over Switzerland and Germany for 3 weeks and never once felt even remotely lost. The Audi system works remarkably well and has just the right amount of vocalization.

On my Mercedes, I agree with all the comments above, amazingly poor. How someone could design a system where you can't see the route before starting is proof that the Germans should stick to brewing beer.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by West_Coaster
How someone could design a system where you can't see the route before starting is proof that the Germans should stick to brewing beer.
Go to Navigation -> Route and Position. Select Alternative Routes. It'll show you all the possible routes to your destination based on the choices you made in your route settings. The current route is highlighted with a dark blue line and you can select any of the alternate routes if you prefer any of them. I've owned Audis for over 10 years, and they do have a nice option that automatically brings up the alternate routes automatically before starting the route guidance. I had it turned on in my cars, but rarely ever selected an alternate route. I'm not gonna debate the two systems, but I have no desire to go back to an Audi. Much of the backend is starting to converge. MB, Audi and BMW are almost fully using the HERE platform that they acquired together from Nokia a while back. There are similar threads like this one on Audi forums with folks complaining. It's the same thing everywhere. Multiple generations of these systems are mixed together in the responses, and some folks just seem to not be able to get a hang of these systems and fully take advantage of all the features it has. I definitely prefer the 2019+ COMAND 5.5 in my car over the Audi system. The full screen navigation in the virtual cockpit is nice eye candy, but MBUX now has the same feature and the digital instrument cluster in the W213 etc. can at least display a small detailed map in the instrument cluster along with turn-by-turn instructions, while one can keep the center display zoomed out far enough to see the whole route as an overview or at least part of it. I generally keep the center display at the 2 mile zoom level to get the satellite images and see far enough ahead of where I'm going and what upcoming traffic looks like, while I have the detailed zoomed in map on the right in the instrument cluster to see the immediate road layout and upcoming maneuvers, along with the turn-by-turn instructions on the left. I use the AMG Supersport layout in the instrument cluster which allows for two customizable areas left and right of the central rev counter. Audi S and RS models have a similar layout called Sport, which is what I used and also had the map on one side and the turn-by-turn instructions on the other side. The full screen is cool to impress friends, but is not as useful IMO, because other information is minimized.

I also find the lane guidance much better in COMAND. I'm now running the 2020 maps that just came out the other day. With 2019+ models they can be downloaded and installed by the owner, so no need for a trip to the dealership to update the maps anymore, and I drove on a stretch of highway with new express lanes. It now advises when to enter/exit the express lanes. Pretty cool. Haven't seen that on Audis or even prior to updating my maps. Maybe the express lanes just weren't in the map yet, because of how new they are, and now they are in the 2020 maps.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-14-2020 at 01:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
beechcamp (01-29-2021), nycebo (07-17-2020), ua549 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by superswiss
Go to Navigation -> Route and Position. Select Alternative Routes. It'll show you all the possible routes to your destination based on the choices you made in your route settings. The current route is highlighted with a dark blue line and you can select any of the alternate routes if you prefer any of them. I've owned Audis for over 10 years, and they do have a nice option that automatically brings up the alternate routes automatically before starting the route guidance. I had it turned on in my cars, but rarely ever selected an alternate route. I'm not gonna debate the two systems, but I have no desire to go back to an Audi. Much of the backend is starting to converge. MB, Audi and BMW are almost fully using the HERE platform that they acquired together from Nokia a while back. There are similar threads like this one on Audi forums with folks complaining. It's the same thing everywhere. Multiple generations of these systems are mixed together in the responses, and some folks just seem to not be able to get a hang of these systems and fully take advantage of all the features it has. I definitely prefer the 2019+ COMAND 5.5 in my car over the Audi system. The full screen navigation in the virtual cockpit is nice eye candy, but MBUX now has the same feature and the digital instrument cluster in the W213 etc. can at least display a small detailed map in the instrument cluster along with turn-by-turn instructions, while one can keep the center display zoomed out far enough to see the whole route as an overview or at least part of it. I generally keep the center display at the 2 mile zoom level to get the satellite images and see far enough ahead of where I'm going and what upcoming traffic looks like, while I have the detailed zoomed in map on the right in the instrument cluster to see the immediate road layout and upcoming maneuvers, along with the turn-by-turn instructions on the left. I use the AMG Supersport layout in the instrument cluster which allows for two customizable areas left and right of the central rev counter. Audi S and RS models have a similar layout called Sport, which is what I used and also had the map on one side and the turn-by-turn instructions on the other side. The full screen is cool to impress friends, but is not as useful IMO, because other information is minimized.

I also find the lane guidance much better in COMAND. I'm now running the 2020 maps that just came out the other day. With 2019+ models they can be downloaded and installed by the owner, so no need for a trip to the dealership to update the maps anymore, and I drove on a stretch of highway with new express lanes. It now advises when to enter/exit the express lanes. Pretty cool. Haven't seen that on Audis or even prior to updating my maps. Maybe the express lanes just weren't in the map yet, because of how new they are, and now they are in the 2020 maps.
I've also noticed the newest HERE maps have a lot more local POI information. I noticed parking areas at a local community college are now displayed with P icons, for instance. I still use Google maps on Android Auto most of the time, but COMAND is quite adequate and is great to have on road trips when you lose cell coverage.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by whoover
I've also noticed the newest HERE maps have a lot more local POI information. I noticed parking areas at a local community college are now displayed with P icons, for instance. I still use Google maps on Android Auto most of the time, but COMAND is quite adequate and is great to have on road trips when you lose cell coverage.
I honestly find it more than adequate and in many ways superior to Google Maps over AA or Apple CarPlay. Alone the fact that you essentially have 3 displays showing different navigation information, 4 if you have the HUD, along with the integration of the trip computer that shows miles to destinations next to miles to empty to see at a glance if I need to stop for fuel or not is superior to only having one display. I believe with AA you get turn-by-turn instructions in the digital instrument cluster at least, but not yet with Apple CarPlay. Google Maps also gives a limited view of the route. You can easily switch between overview and auto zoom, but arbitrary zoom levels in between are cumbersome. I often feel like having tunnel vision, because I only get the immediate limited view of the route and it's painful to zoom out enough to see if there is upcoming traffic. This is much better with COMAND as I can use the center display as my overview and quickly change the zoom level with the steering wheel touch pad or the center console Multimedia control and it stays at the desired zoom level if you turn off auto zoom. Lane guidance is also way superior in COMAND with the split screen showing how the roads are going including visual renderings of the overhead signs so you know exactly where you need to go. Lane guidance in Google Maps is quite basic. They don't really take advantage of the wide screen to show useful graphics in a split screen view.

There's even another level to the parking POIs. For parking structures it actually displays the fill level on the map. There are three lights next to the P symbol that are either red or green to show how much of the parking structure is occupied. Of course this only works for parking structures that publish this information, but it's very helpful in cities for example. Similarly, although, I don't care much it shows the price of fuel next to the gas station symbols and it actually is smart enough to show the price for Premium and not the price for Regular.

There are so many things I have discovered over time that I'm using Google Maps/Apple Car Play less and less. I used Google Maps exclusively at the beginning in Europe, because the Mercedes Me services were not active during my ED trip. It was great to have that option. I also used Waze a bit more on some longer trips to see where the cops are, but at least in my area it turns out Waze mostly shows where the cops used to be, and since I got a new radar detector that actually works well I haven't used Waze again. Once my car got to the USA, I felt the COMAND navigation wasn't working so well. Specifically the map seemed outdated, but then I got two OTA updates in a row and discovered that what the VPC installed on my car was two versions behind. As mentioned above, the map updates also include voice recognition updates which noticeably improved the system. It wasn't working very well at first. The online services also improved over time, even though they are clearly still working on them, but initially the online searches seemed to be a crap shoot and slow. But now they've gotten very good and find all kinds of places by just using the "Navigate to..." voice command, and they are also faster now. If all else fails one can always look for a place in Google Maps, Apple Maps etc. on the phone and then tap share and quickly send it to the navigation system. It actually sends it via Bluetooth if you are in the car already and the phone is connected so it pops up within a second on the navigation screen and from there it can quickly be added as a waypoint or the final destination. I had to make use of that last weekend, because the online searches seemed to be down temporarily.

I think there are so many awesome features in COMAND not found in Google Maps etc., if you take the time to discover them and use each one to your advantage. I find that many people who complain about these systems haven't really taken the time to get past the learning curve and just quickly dismiss it. They don't even give it a chance based on how crappy many of these systems admittedly were in the past.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-14-2020 at 07:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
nycebo (07-17-2020), ua549 (07-15-2020), whoover (07-14-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation Disappointment