E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

The little "E" Class that couldn't!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
The little "E" Class that couldn't!

Hello Fellow MB Enthusiasts:
I enjoyed my 2017 E300-4matic for the whole 2 months I owned it. The car was well equipped, Pkg. 1, heated seats, heated steering wheel and some other goodies. The car I had before I bought the "E" was a 2010 "E" class and that was (imo) one of the truly great cars that MB built. It felt rock solid, well powered (I had the E350 RWD) and I ordered it so it had all the options that I wanted.
Along comes the W213 and like most consumers I wanted to buy the newest iteration of the "E" class since there was much made of it. It was so good and so forward thinking in the thought and design it looked like a half of a hard boiled egg with 4 wheels. I think the new "E" had a flair for being one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen, bland, bland and bland. The technology on the inside did almost nothing of any great shakes and the worst part of all is that the car is so grossly under powered it's not funny. When I say under powered, putting a 4 cylinder engine in a car that is close to 2 tons (with people in it), well the only teens it'll ever see is if you let your teen aged kid drive it and last and imo worst of all. They play up to the fact that the car is made of lighter weight aluminum instead of sheet steel, if you know anything about engineering, theories are all well and good but I don't want my life compromised so MB can make more money by making the "E" out of aluminum instead of the tried and true sheet steel. If aluminum were miles ahead of sheet steel the truck manufacturers would have started making truck bodies out of aluminum years ago, it's just cheaper but doesn't possess the strength of sheet steel, do the math. For $60k even the Chevy Malibu is a better buy or for those that have to buy the most popular car on the block by a Honda or Toyota. All things considered, the newest W213 is nothing special, it always lets you know you're in a truck, oh did I say truck, I meant car, the thing it so load (lots of road noise) you'll think you're in a truck. Couple the sheer ugliness of the body with the 4 mice under the hood and take one for a drive and this could make an Audi man out of you yet although that car isn't much better, you might try a BMW.
The answer that I found to my liking was to buy a year old V222 "S" class 550-4matic. Solid as a rock, loads of room and I found one with 15,000 miles on it for $5,000 more than the W213, well worth the money. Perhaps the next generation of the "E" class will be good, perhaps not but one thing is certain, MB is just making too many cars which translated into MB losing their exclusivity, the want to be the world class Meredes-Benz and at the same time be the KIA of Europe. If the people who ran that company had a brain in their heads that'd stick to doing what they did best, make high-line best in class cars instead of trying to sell everything from $200k Maybach cars to $50 key chains, at the end of 2017 when the bean counters bring them back down to earth they'll go back to trying to be the best and most exclusive car on the planet. Don't bother to write a letter or argue with a German, they're always right, just ask them.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,059 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by 1guitar
I enjoyed my 2017 E300-4matic for the whole 2 months I owned it. The car was well equipped, Pkg. 1, heated seats, heated steering wheel and some other goodies. The car I had before I bought the "E" was a 2010 "E" class and that was (imo) one of the truly great cars that MB built. It felt rock solid, well powered (I had the E350 RWD) and I ordered it so it had all the options that I wanted.
Along comes the W213 and like most consumers I wanted to buy the newest iteration of the "E" class since there was much made of it. It was so good and so forward thinking in the thought and design it looked like a half of a hard boiled egg with 4 wheels. I think the new "E" had a flair for being one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen, bland, bland and bland. The technology on the inside did almost nothing of any great shakes and the worst part of all is that the car is so grossly under powered it's not funny. When I say under powered, putting a 4 cylinder engine in a car that is close to 2 tons (with people in it), well the only teens it'll ever see is if you let your teen aged kid drive it and last and imo worst of all. They play up to the fact that the car is made of lighter weight aluminum instead of sheet steel, if you know anything about engineering, theories are all well and good but I don't want my life compromised so MB can make more money by making the "E" out of aluminum instead of the tried and true sheet steel. If aluminum were miles ahead of sheet steel the truck manufacturers would have started making truck bodies out of aluminum years ago, it's just cheaper but doesn't possess the strength of sheet steel, do the math. For $60k even the Chevy Malibu is a better buy or for those that have to buy the most popular car on the block by a Honda or Toyota. All things considered, the newest W213 is nothing special, it always lets you know you're in a truck, oh did I say truck, I meant car, the thing it so load (lots of road noise) you'll think you're in a truck. Couple the sheer ugliness of the body with the 4 mice under the hood and take one for a drive and this could make an Audi man out of you yet although that car isn't much better, you might try a BMW.
The answer that I found to my liking was to buy a year old V222 "S" class 550-4matic. Solid as a rock, loads of room and I found one with 15,000 miles on it for $5,000 more than the W213, well worth the money. Perhaps the next generation of the "E" class will be good, perhaps not but one thing is certain, MB is just making too many cars which translated into MB losing their exclusivity, the want to be the world class Meredes-Benz and at the same time be the KIA of Europe. If the people who ran that company had a brain in their heads that'd stick to doing what they did best, make high-line best in class cars instead of trying to sell everything from $200k Maybach cars to $50 key chains, at the end of 2017 when the bean counters bring them back down to earth they'll go back to trying to be the best and most exclusive car on the planet. Don't bother to write a letter or argue with a German, they're always right, just ask them.
Why do car fan sites attract so many trolls?
Old 01-29-2017, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63

1Guitar,

Sounds like you made the transition to the CPO S Class after your massive complaints about the problems you had with the S Class. Did you ever get your MBrace to work on your S Class?

As far as aluminum is concerned, your S Class is made out of aluminum. My '14 and '16 S Class are aluminum and yours is to. Car manufacturers are now using aluminum and that is the trend. The Ford F150 is now aluminum as well.

As far as engines are concerned, don't be surprised if the 2018 S550 is a V6 Twin Turbo in the US. Just like you in the E Class, I would not like the 4 cylinder in the e class and I certainly don't want a 6 cylinder in my S Class.

I hope after getting a flat tire on your new S Class and the MBrace button not working you got that all fixed and your dealer worked with you to get your S Class problems fixed since it sounded like you hated the S Class on the W222 forum.

Happy motoring with the S Class. You will love the car. I have enjoyed the S Class cars for almost 25 years but I also have loved the E Class for just as long (still own a 2000 E class).
Old 01-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Hmmm.

The OP is having difficulty embracing change. Too bad.
The following users liked this post:
Mike__S (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
What a laugh this guy is. There are 1) trolls who probably cannot rub two nickels together, 2) trolls with starved egos and 3) normal car dudes who want more power, but the E300 will remain a widely accepted choice for everyone else. But, this is a special case for sure.

My 2002 A6 Audi had a 2,7 twin turbo motor that had similar power to the MB four of today. The 250hp and the low speed torque turbo motors make a perfectly adequate rate of acceleration for everyday driving. Lighter in weight, the 4-cylinder cars handle much better, with as much as 200 pounds less weight in the nose of the car of a traditional V-8 or V-6.

Along with the other helpful replies, I did perceive more road noise in the E300, but then it dawned on my why this is so. They have managed to engineer most other mechanical noise out of the car, so that road noise from the tires is about all you hear anymore. For that they have a bit of anti-noise when the radio is on. The true solution is up the road taxes a bit, so we can keep roads paved with less noise inducing materials.

Last edited by Mike__S; 01-29-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
One of the ugliest, bland, boring cars, yet OP claims to have bought one?

And so poetic the his new beloved S Class is made of aluminium also ... lol
Old 01-29-2017, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Audi A8 is made of Al for generations.

I drove the W213 in it's weakest 220d version and it felt great.

I'll buy W213 E63 when it will be finally available and all bugs are fixed (2018-2019).
Old 01-29-2017, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Aluminum is great for building cars. It is lighter and actually stronger than steel. The new smaller displacement engines with turbo chargers are really nice. I have 3 cars with them. 2 Mercedes and 1 Audi. No complaints. I do not understand the OPs problem. Why buy a car if you thought it was ugly to begin with.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I don't know if the op is a troll or not but he does make a few points I agree with. I test drove the new E class this past fall and was very disappointed with the motor and its sound. It rattled too. I need a car with a heart and I want to hear it beat as well as feel it beat when I step on it. I know there are sports cars for this and the E does not pretend to be in that class. Still, it did not satisfy me in any performance category or in looks either. The interior was quite good but I knew from my previous MB that the technology in Command was just so so at best.

I have always been a MB fan and wanted to stick with them if possible so I ended up with the 2017 CLS 550. That is a very different kind of car and you have to be happy with the space factor. Since there are only the two of us and we seldom have back seat passengers, the CLS is plenty roomy. But what a heart that magnificent 278 twin turbo v8 gives it! Yes, you pay for it but WOW! I have not had as much fun in a car in years. And it is still an iconic beauty that paved the way for the "coup" styled four door sedan.

The interior will be updated next year, as well it should, but the materials and fit and fish are outstanding and actually better than what I saw in the E class. The nine speed tranny was made for this engine and I also get 23 miles to the gallon, mostly driving back country roads and almost always in sport mode, which makes it a much different car than when it is set to comfort or standard. It is also one of the most exclusive MBs, far more than the E class which can be found on every corner in any large city.

The reasons cited by the OP did mirror some of my observations of the E class but unlike him, I did not buy it even though I was looking forward to owning the new model. To me and for what I want from a car, the extra money spent on the CLS was well worth it.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
I didn't buy the new e for a number of reason particular to me, but certainly still had a high degree of respect for the new e class in either the e300 or e43. The write up by 1guitar is over the top and out of line, imo. What's the point of being so insulting to those who either bought the new e or participated in the forum to exchange ideas and thoughts both positive and negative, but generally with a degree of respect. A pointless rant. Regards. Ned.
arnsbrae (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
What I find somewhat puzzling is why it took two whole months for OP to figure out he didn't like the look of his new E300, didn't like the engine, didn't like the tech and didn't like the fact that the car body is largely composed of aluminum. All MB have been largely made of aluminum for a few years now as far as I know. All these items could have been noticed during the standard road test before purchase / lease. So what took two months for OP to notice all these things? Hell, the new body style could have been noticed by simply looking at one in the showroom, without ever getting behind the wheel. Hopefully, OP spent more time inspecting his new S class, so he's not dumping that one after two months.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by shortspark
The interior will be updated next year, as well it should, but the materials and fit and fish are outstanding and actually better than what I saw in the E class.
What makes you say that? Won't CLS will be totally redesigned and not just the interior? C219 was a six year run model, so assuming C218 is also a six year run car, shouldn't 2018MY be a completely new CLS?
Old 01-29-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
Oh I forgot,only you are entitiled to an opinion

I guess you snuck in the back door.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by PaulE550
What I find somewhat puzzling is why it took two whole months for OP to figure out he didn't like the look of his new E300, didn't like the engine, didn't like the tech and didn't like the fact that the car body is largely composed of aluminum. All MB have been largely made of aluminum for a few years now as far as I know. All these items could have been noticed during the standard road test before purchase / lease. So what took two months for OP to notice all these things? Hell, the new body style could have been noticed by simply looking at one in the showroom, without ever getting behind the wheel. Hopefully, OP spent more time inspecting his new S class, so he's not dumping that one after two months.

NO OP did not inspect his new S Class either. He was slamming the S Class and the dealer in the threads related to the W222 and a few of us tried to figure out what his issues were to help him. But he "went off" because he did not do a good job of inspecting his CPO S Class.

I don't know if he is a troll but if he is not a troll he sure blows hundreds of thousands of dollars on autos before a simple inspection of the cars.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
I guess you snuck in the back door.
Somewhat difficult to take an opinion such as you wrote above seriously.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:01 PM

2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by threeMBs
What makes you say that? Won't CLS will be totally redesigned and not just the interior? C219 was a six year run model, so assuming C218 is also a six year run car, shouldn't 2018MY be a completely new CLS?
Yes, the update is suppose to happen in 2018 but I have not heard it will be totally redesigned. I've read several things, including the interior matching more closely to the present E class. Although I have no problem with the tablet screen, I do like the layout of the E class better and I hope they go that route. As the article I will link below says, no one has a real good idea or a sketch of the interior but it will be changed. There will be a platform the CLS is built on that is currently used on the S, E and C class. I don't know if this is the case right now. The CLS may ditch its 278 v8 in favor of the new six and, for the first time I believe, it will also be available in diesel.

Some of what I learned (true or false I can't say) is contained in this link: http://carreleasejr.com/2018-mercede...se-date-price/
Old 01-29-2017, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
If CLS' interior will resemble the one in E, it will mean a total redesign including exterior.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:49 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by MTrauman
NO OP did not inspect his new S Class either. He was slamming the S Class and the dealer in the threads related to the W222 and a few of us tried to figure out what his issues were to help him. But he "went off" because he did not do a good job of inspecting his CPO S Class.

I don't know if he is a troll but if he is not a troll he sure blows hundreds of thousands of dollars on autos before a simple inspection of the cars.
Thanks M. That explains a lot.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
anyways.....
back to the trolls topic.....
err the whiners topic.....
i mean the "gal who buys a car then complains abut it" topic...

this thread is full of...
hyperion667 (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:16 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by shortspark
Yes, the update is suppose to happen in 2018 but I have not heard it will be totally redesigned. I've read several things, including the interior matching more closely to the present E class. Although I have no problem with the tablet screen, I do like the layout of the E class better and I hope they go that route. As the article I will link below says, no one has a real good idea or a sketch of the interior but it will be changed. There will be a platform the CLS is built on that is currently used on the S, E and C class. I don't know if this is the case right now. The CLS may ditch its 278 v8 in favor of the new six and, for the first time I believe, it will also be available in diesel.

Some of what I learned (true or false I can't say) is contained in this link: http://carreleasejr.com/2018-mercede...se-date-price/
My understanding is that the redesigned CLS will feature the same engine choices as in the new E. So unless you can't live without the new interior, you may want to hang onto your CLS for quite a while. It all comes down to what you value more and what you like to drive. Personally having test driven the E43, the replacement to the E550, to see what it's like, I would have to see what the new E63 has to offer down the road. That's just me though. I'm sure many will find the E43 just fine.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:18 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by beejAMG
anyways.....
back to the trolls topic.....
err the whiners topic.....
i mean the "gal who buys a car then complains abut it" topic...

this thread is full of...
​​​​​​
+1 :-)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:26 PM

2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by PaulE550
My understanding is that the redesigned CLS will feature the same engine choices as in the new E. So unless you can't live without the new interior, you may want to hang onto your CLS for quite a while. It all comes down to what you value more and what you like to drive. Personally having test driven the E43, the replacement to the E550, to see what it's like, I would have to see what the new E63 has to offer down the road. That's just me though. I'm sure many will find the E43 just fine.
I agree, the E45 from what I hear should be ideal for most people. However, as I have told you in other threads, Paul, the heart of the car is what has always inspired me and has always come first. It will be a shame if that 278 is removed from this line-up. The interior, as long as it is attractive and the workmanship up to snuff (which the CLS most certainly is), becomes a distant second. I hope to have this one a good long time but at my age, that would be four or five years - at the most!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:40 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
....and only one guitar
Old 01-30-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E300 4MATIC
I hear a lot of everyone bashing the W213 as grossly underpowered. But, the W212 E350 had 0-60MPH time of 6.5 and the W213 has a 0-60MPH speed of 6.3.

The W212 had a larger engine but it's 0-60 is slower than the W213
Drgolf131 (02-02-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,059 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Mike450
One of the ugliest, bland, boring cars, yet OP claims to have bought one?

And so poetic the his new beloved S Class is made of aluminium also ... lol

My first thought too, someone banging the use of aluminum on a car has zero idea of what he is blabbering about. I guess he special ordered his S class to be made out of Le creuset pot cast iron!
There is no doubt that an S class is more car than an E Class.....that's why it starts a 40000 dollars more! For the price of a base S class you can buy a base C class and a base E class!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The little "E" Class that couldn't!