E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Returning a 2 month old car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Wow, I am so sorry you are having this nightmare. Another reason that solidifies why I won't buy the W213.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by tresean1
Wow, I am so sorry you are having this nightmare. Another reason that solidifies why I won't buy the W213.

So you are basing your opinions about a car from a user having problems on a public forum?

Have you ever reflected on the possibility that pople often turn to similar medias when they are experiencing varius problems looking for input or help?
Positive input are by far not as present hence making a specific vehicle look bad.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by vic viper
So you are basing your opinions about a car from a user having problems on a public forum?

Have you ever reflected on the possibility that pople often turn to similar medias when they are experiencing varius problems looking for input or help?
Positive input are by far not as present hence making a specific vehicle look bad.
Nope, not at all! I am forming my opinions based on real world experiences with the car, as I wrote in another thread. I was totally underwhelmed. I am intelligent enough not to let someone's writing "on a public forum" influence me, but when such writings validate what I have encountered, then I back them up wholeheartedly. Besides, isn't that what these forums are for: to voice opinions and help fellow Benz owners overcome difficulties and advise/warn of issues, or is it every man for himself???

Also, I think you meant use the word media, as "medias", per the OED, is a double pluralization that was phased out in the early 20th century and is nonstandard and objectionable.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
You understood what I meant right?

I live in Sweden and as you may know English isnt our primary spoken language, but I guess one turns to grammar nitpicking when out of arguments.
The following users liked this post:
arnsbrae (04-22-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I have to agree with Vic. I find forums a place to go when people have issues or want to have specific questions answered. Most consumers never go near these sites especially those who have no issues with their vehicles.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Nope, not at all! I am forming my opinions based on real world experiences with the car, as I wrote in another thread. I was totally underwhelmed. I am intelligent enough not to let someone's writing "on a public forum" influence me, but when such writings validate what I have encountered, then I back them up wholeheartedly. Besides, isn't that what these forums are for: to voice opinions and help fellow Benz owners overcome difficulties and advise/warn of issues, or is it every man for himself???
I completely agree.
The W213, at least as a 2017 model, was "not ready for prime time." Way too many bugs for any new vehicle, let alone something that costs what a W213 costs and carries the 3-Pointed Star. Sure, there are many folks who have had little or no issues with their cars, but others, like the OP have gone through hell with the new E.
My wife drives a 2016 E350. We want a new one for her in another year or so and are hoping that a new I6 E400 in Luxury Trim will be available by MY2019. By then, most all of the bugs in the W213 should be eliminated. As for the current offerings, we WILL NOT go for a 4-cylinder, $80K car, with bugs crawling all over it.
tresean1 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
I have to agree with Vic. I find forums a place to go when people have issues or want to have specific questions answered. Most consumers never go near these sites especially those who have no issues with their vehicles.
Agree.

For every 1 person who lodges a complaint, there is likely 1000 people who are very satisfied with the E300. I am one of those who is very satisfied.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:23 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by Streamliner
If everything I have read here is an accurate portrayal of what has actually taken place, I would return the car to the selling dealer and refuse to take it back. I'd call MBUSA and TELL them that the brand new car you bought is no longer anything even close to being brand new and that they can either give you a new car of your choice or your money back. I'd give them one week to make up their minds and then I would contact a lawyer. There is no way I would EVER drive that car again. If you keep giving them more rope on this, you are going to get hung out to dry.

No downside to contact a seasoned lemon lawyer now. They will discuss your situation without any commitment to retain them. I suggest you speak to more than one firm.

Leaving your brand new car at the dealership and refusing to take it back might get the dealership management focused on the issue but do not expect any resolution for upwards of a year. The lemon lawyer will be in a position to provide advice and strategy. But this situation will not be resolved anytime soon.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I completely agree.
The W213, at least as a 2017 model, was "not ready for prime time." Way too many bugs for any new vehicle, let alone something that costs what a W213 costs and carries the 3-Pointed Star. Sure, there are many folks who have had little or no issues with their cars, but others, like the OP have gone through hell with the new E.
My wife drives a 2016 E350. We want a new one for her in another year or so and are hoping that a new I6 E400 in Luxury Trim will be available by MY2019. By then, most all of the bugs in the W213 should be eliminated. As for the current offerings, we WILL NOT go for a 4-cylinder, $80K car, with bugs crawling all over it.
Thanks.

Glad there is someone else here who understands and thinks outside of the box...instead of instantly attacking someone for simply: agreeing with the OP and empathizing/sympathizing with the grief and dissapointment the OP experienced, and voicing his opinion, and sharing his own sentiments/experiences.

Last edited by tresean1; 04-20-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Always interesting to see how people who dont even own a car often seem to have a lot of input on how bad it is?

Where do all these different opinions come from?, it couldnt possibly be over the internet could it?
Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Always interesting to see how people who dont even own a car often seem to have a lot of input on how bad it is?

Where do all these different opinions come from?, it couldnt possibly be over the internet could it?
How true. I don't own a W213 E class. I cannot make a judgement on the car. I currently own several Mercedes and have done so in the past. I am sorry the OP is having problems with his car. My experience with my current cars have been great. My x164 diesel was not wonderful but dealer was great. Fact of life with cars.

Last edited by dieseldoc; 04-20-2017 at 03:10 PM.
vic viper (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM

Ok, I will speak to the elephant in the room and get to the point:

Excuse me, vic_viper, what's your issue? Do you have a personal problem with me?? Do you have bad blood with me from somewhere, that motivates your attack? What on earth have I done to you, personally, to ruffle your feathers? Please enlighten me.

You have been dormant this entire thread, did not make a peep, not even a word of encouragement to the OP---until my post---then you latched on to me like a starving pitbull! Did I take your food or eat your puppies? Is your opinion more valuable than others'? Why the attack on me just for stating my opinion and offering condolences to the OP???? Is supporting someone who has experienced a horrible turn of events not what you guys do in Sweden?

Last edited by tresean1; 04-20-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Ok, I will speak to the elephant in the room and get to the point:

Excuse me, vic_viper, what's your issue? Do you have a personal problem with me?? Do you have bad blood with me from somewhere? What have I done to you personally to ruffle your feathers? Please enlighten me.

You have been dormant this entire thread, did not make a peep, until my post---then you latched on to me like a starving pitbull! Did I take your food or eat your puppies? Why the attack on me just for stating my opinion and offering condolences to the OP???? Is supporting someone who has experienced a horrible turn of events not what you guys do in Sweden?

I didnt mention nor quote you in my last post, still you seem horribly offended?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe
Update -

I decided to take my car to a different dealership - Mercedes Greenway Plaza.

I don't know what made me do this, but I decided to do a quick wash (actually wax strip in case there was any residual wax still on the car put on by the other dealership) of the car before bringing it in. I was running late so quickly drove it over to the dealership. I stopped it under the porte cochere and explained to the new service adviser what has happened with the car up to now and what i wanted him to check on. One thing was the scratched and if the car really had a 'Mercedes black' color to it. For some reason it looks a bit grey to me.

The service adviser told he I would be driving around the head service manager so he could address my concerns. I met him and he asked me to pull the car out into the sunlight. I couldn't believe, actually we both couldn't believe what we saw. His comment was, "I don't know what can be done about this, but SOMETHING will need to be done." The hood was incredibly scratched. It is obvious the other dealership, Star Motor Cars, had the car waxed to mask the incredible amount of scratches in the clear coat.

Luckily, I was able to get a new model E as a loaner. This car (2000 miles vs mine with 1000 miles) has a much firmer gas and brake pedal. The media player doesn't cut out the beginning of songs like mine.

Houston, we have a problem.

I immediately called the service adviser to tell him I'd like to set up a meeting with the regional manager to walk around my car with him (a guy named Marsella).

I also called MB USA and again got Kim Presby's voicemail. I called back and asked to speak to her manager. A guy told me she was in the office but on the phone . He said she was aware I had left several messages and that she would get back with me later today. She was on the phone with another client. The day is over and she did not return my call. I did, though, send an email to her regarding the state of the paint job on my car and the regional MB rep needs to see it.

The service adviser also told me that Star Motor cars is slowly going out of business and will be closing in the future. He made it sound like his dealership helping get this car bought back would be 'sticking it to' Star Motors, for them.

I wish I had snapped a photo of the hood. Made me sick looking at it. My first E that I had for six years looked better than this car!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm sorry, you probably mentioned it, but I missed it: exactly what color is your car?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
You definitely should have snapped a few pictures of the car's front hood with at least your cell phone. Next time you stop by the dealership to look at your car bring along a decent camera to document the paint damage and to send a photo of it to MBUSA. You might want to photograph the hood under a black light if you can. It will make the scratches stand out more in your photos. Just a thought.

In the meantime, at least you get to ride around in a new E class loaner that is actually fully functional. Must be a hell of a contrast from what you've been living with.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:19 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
Basic Black is the car color.

Forgot to mention. When in the old dealership I asked my salesman how I get a split screen of, let's say, navigation and media player. His response was, "Your car doesn't do that."

In the loaner, a basic car, I fired up navigation then opened the media player and guess what happened... Split screen view - navigation on the left and media player on the right.

My first car is possessed!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:53 AM

Wow, again, I am sorry you are having this nightmare. :-(
This should never happen in any car or dealership, let alone a MERCEDES.

Hope you get that demon off your hands, and get into something more heavenly. Seems like you are on the right path with the new dealership.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:53 PM
off

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Audi Q5 Hybrid
I think it's deceitful they would attempt to hide paint damage. I use a Scangrip Sunmatch light to check my progress when I'm performing paint correction on my cars. I've never thought of bringing it to the dealer to inspect new car paint though!

In any case, if you want to get a good picture of the damage, park the car under the dealer service bay, get a LED light, hold it at arm's length while standing over the hood, and get a picture at about a 45 degree angle. That will get you a good picture of the damaged paint.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:15 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
Thank you for that info. I'm really pissed off, now, knowing they polished a turd and sold it to me. Feel like dropping the MB USA claim and going straight to an attorney and suing, at this point.

Flat out deceptive!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They need to take the car off your hands. Agree, time for an attorney
Old 04-24-2017, 04:42 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
I talked with my new service adviser. He said he doesn't know why, but my car can't do split screen with navigation on one side and media on the other. It goes by VIN #. I told him mine was built in 03.2016 and the loaner I'm driving with less 'stuff' was built in 08.2016 and CAN??? He doesn't know why but he's looking into it.

MB USA did not return my call Friday. I called today. Again was told she has plans to call me today. I have not heard from her, yet. WTF. This is ridiculous.

I have called an attorney patient of mine to get a recommendation for an attorney that can take it from here. I'm tired of getting nowhere.

The service adviser did say he would set up a meeting with me and the regional rep to look over the car... That's something, I guess.

Oh, and I contacted via email a local news station's Consumer Reports division to ask her if this is something she would take on - shame the dealership, sort of thing. We'll see.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RickInHouston
WTF. This is ridiculous.
This passed "ridiculous" a long, LONG time ago!
Old 04-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
+1 The situation passed ridiculous a long time ago and has moved into the realm of the surreal. A really bad dream for OP.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is outrageous. They need to get you taken care of.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Returning a 2 month old car