Unhappy new E Class coupe owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E Class Coupe
Unhappy new E Class coupe owner

Hello everyone, UK member here!

I have had my new E400 coupe for less than 2 weeks and have not had a good experience so far.

To cut a long story short, i ordered the car back in early feb and quoted 11th April for delivery, had 2 delays on the car and shocking customer service from the dealership in the process. The day i collected the car i found myself driving home in a courtesy car, this was due to a stange engine noise that i noticed straight away which apparently MB are aware of on the E400's...

They tried a software update on the car to no avail, so gave me it back and said that Mercedes will be working on a fix and they will be in touch as soon as they find one, i was ok with that as they said the car is still drivable..

So today i noticed 2 new problems, and it's annoying because in the last few days i have really started to enjoy the car, the first problem is that the passenger seat when folded forward to let someone in the back then slides all the way back as far is it can go, rather than back to its original position, i almost crushed my friends legs doing this today.

After trying it a few times after i noticed the carpet under the centre console has come away, looks like it needs glueing or stitching back on, i looked on the driver side and the seat mechanism and carpet is perfect.

So, it's another trip to the dealer this week, i'm pretty angry and shocked at the build quality so far, anyone else had these problems? It's my first Benz from a long line of Audi's and apart from the beautiful looks and ride i'm not impressed thus far.

Regards

Last edited by RB15; 05-22-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
re seat sliding all the way back. I think this is "normal" as had same problem
with my 2011 coupe.

BTW the correct forum for you would be;
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...brio-a207-141/

Last edited by Egonvdv; 05-22-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 AM

2018 E Class Coupe
Thanks for the reply

i find it strange how this would be a nornal feature of the passenger seat as it totally inconveniences the owner by crushing the passengers legs and then having to adjust the seat forward from the handle underneath to roughly it's original position, especially when the drivers seat doesn't do this.

p.s. The seats are not electronically folding or memory seats, just normal manual ones.

can any mods move this thread into the E Class coupe section please? I just saw a few threads in here on the coupe so thought it might have been the right place.

kind regards

Last edited by RB15; 05-22-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Weekend: 2010 SL 350 r230 Weekdays: 2018 E220d Coupe
Originally Posted by RB15
Thanks for the reply

i find it strange how this would be a nornal feature of the passenger seat as it totally inconveniences the owner by crushing the passengers legs and then having to adjust the seat forward from the handle underneath to roughly it's original position, especially when the drivers seat doesn't do this.

p.s. The seats are not electronically folding or memory seats, just normal manual ones.

<SNIP>

kind regards
I think that's the issue right there. I have a new coupe coming but when I did the test drive, it had the seat memory function and it did go back to the correct position. (That's what I've ordered).
Not much help, but that seems to be the issue.

Last edited by arnsbrae; 05-22-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 AM

2018 E Class Coupe
Yeah but it wouldn't explain why the drivers seat does click back into my normal driving position, it's almost as if the two seats have totally different mechanisms, and that if you want to have 2 passengers in the back the best way to do so would be for both to enter from the drivers side and one climb over to the other side.

interestingly, since i posted the original message i spoke to someone i know who also has the new E class, and he said that he also has the same issue with the passenger seat, which may well confirm this to be a normal characteristic of the car.

This begs the question as to whether or not i call the dealership and cancel the booking for this Wednesday, it does need the carpet fixing anyway so i might still take it and see if there is something they can do with the seat on the off chance.

thanks
Old 05-22-2017, 10:33 AM

2018 E Class Coupe
Actually, ignore that last post, the guy i know just called and said his seat does actually retract properly into it's previous position, so it seems there is something wrong with mine.

Will see what MB says on Wednesday.

Cheers
Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,403 Likes on 1,941 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Hello everyone, UK member here!

I have had my new E400 coupe for less than 2 weeks and have not had a good experience so far.

To cut a long story short, i ordered the car back in early feb and quoted 11th April for delivery, had 2 delays on the car and shocking customer service from the dealership in the process. The day i collected the car i found myself driving home in a courtesy car, this was due to a stange engine noise that i noticed straight away which apparently MB are aware of on the E400's...

They tried a software update on the car to no avail, so gave me it back and said that Mercedes will be working on a fix and they will be in touch as soon as they find one, i was ok with that as they said the car is still drivable..Regards
Look at a thread on this forum entitled "Acoustic Glass." The owner of an E400 says his engine sounds like an old Ford pick-up truck!

As a long time MB owner, my feeling is that MB is suffering from trying to be everything to everybody in the entire world. They are building way too many models and quality, customer service and that "luxury car experience" MB has been famous for are all suffering greatly. Corners are truly being cut and systems--not to mention entire models--are being brought to market having not been properly sorted. It's a shame to see such an avalanche of problems plaguing the new E Class.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:56 AM

2018 E Class Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Look at a thread on this forum entitled "Acoustic Glass." The owner of an E400 says his engine sounds like an old Ford pick-up truck!

As a long time MB owner, my feeling is that MB is suffering from trying to be everything to everybody in the entire world. They are building way too many models and quality, customer service and that "luxury car experience" MB has been famous for are all suffering greatly. Corners are truly being cut and systems--not to mention entire models--are being brought to market having not been properly sorted. It's a shame to see such an avalanche of problems plaguing the new E Class.
You know, i was browsing the forums in the last few days and skipped past that thread several times thinking it would be of no relevance to any of my issues, so thanks for pointing it out, i will have a read after this, and yes i agree about the quality and customer service, i remember the Top Gear tv show ran a feature quite a while ago now bringing to light that MB were fast becoming one of the worst brands for customer service in the industry, but that was a few years back so i just guessed they had ironed all the issues out.

The noise from my engine comes in at low revs in every gear, it can best be described as the noise a bicycle's spokes make when you stop peddling but much louder and cruder, the sound of a diesel engine is also pretty spot on too.

I of course expect some level of issues being a kind of consumer guinea pig for a brand new model car, so i'm trying not to get too upset with it all, but it's difficult when you've layed down over 50k for the pleasure.

I'm wondering if the delay on my car had anything to do with the noise?

Hopefully it will all e fixed soon!

Thanks again
Old 05-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Actually, ignore that last post, the guy i know just called and said his seat does actually retract properly into it's previous position, so it seems there is something wrong with mine.
Does that guy also have the manual passenger seat?
The noise from my engine comes in at low revs in every gear...the sound of a diesel engine is also pretty spot on too.

I'm wondering if the delay on my car had anything to do with the noise?
I don't think the delay on your car has anything to do with it. Unfortunately I think it's another design flaw that, like Streamliner said above, has been plaguing Mercedes lately. These God-awful 4-cyl clackers are so loud, and a shame that MB either 1) didn't use them at all, or 2) at least engineer some type of noise shield to quiet it down to "Mercedes standards". How embarrassing is it to have your "luxury vehicle" sound like a RAM worktruck? Remember the time when MB exceled at safety and innovation, but was 10 years behind on technology? Now it seems like they have an over-abundance of technology, but can't even get simple common-sense design & innovation issues right.

How can Lexus make their cars sounds virtually silent, but Mercedes can't do the same? I hope they find a solution for your issues...
Old 05-22-2017, 11:42 AM

2018 E Class Coupe
Originally Posted by tresean1
Does that guy also have the manual passenger seat?

I don't think the delay on your car has anything to do with it. Unfortunately I think it's another design flaw that, like Streamliner said above, has been plaguing Mercedes lately. These God-awful 4-cyl clackers are so loud, and a shame that MB either 1) didn't use them at all, or 2) at least engineer some type of noise shield to quiet it down to "Mercedes standards". How embarrassing is it to have your "luxury vehicle" sound like a RAM worktruck? Remember the time when MB exceled at safety and innovation, but was 10 years behind on technology? Now it seems like they have an over-abundance of technology, but can't even get simple common-sense design & innovation issues right.

How can Lexus make their cars sounds virtually silent, but Mercedes can't do the same? I hope they find a solution for your issues...
Yes the fella's car is also equipped with the standard manual seats, so definitely a problem at my end, glad i didn't cancel the booking.

Well, Mercedes told the dealership in the few days after i had collected the car that they are aware of a noise issue on the E400's, and are working on a fix for it, they thought a software update would solve it but it didn't make a difference to mine. So i have had the car less than 2 weeks and have an engine noise, faulty seat, and carpet that hasn't been attached properly...

I can't speak for the 4cyl engines as i haven't heard one yet, but certainly didn't expect a 3.0l V6 twin turbo petrol engine to sound like a bicycle in a bad mood!

Cheers!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Well look it at on the bright side...at least you guys get the option of E400, without having to settle with E300 or jump to E43. Guess that's what us greedy Americans get. lol
Old 05-22-2017, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,403 Likes on 1,941 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I can't speak for the 4cyl engines as i haven't heard one yet, but certainly didn't expect a 3.0l V6 twin turbo petrol engine to sound like a bicycle in a bad mood!
Cheers!
I believe that engine is very similar to the V6 we have in our 2016 E350 sedan and ours is very smooth, quiet and the sounds it does make are pleasing. MB has been building that engine for many years. You would think they could get it right.
We will be waiting for the new I6, which will, hopefully, make it into an E400 Luxury Sedan here in the U.S. We are keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:38 PM

I believe that engine is very similar to the V6 we have in our 2016 E350 sedan and ours is very smooth, quiet and the sounds it does make are pleasing. MB has been building that engine for many years. You would think they could get it right.
We will be waiting for the new I6, which will, hopefully, make it into an E400 Luxury Sedan here in the U.S. We are keeping our fingers crossed.
Is your engine the turbo? The engine in my 2014 is the N/A V6 and it can get up there in decibels...not necessarily diesel sounding, but damn near close.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:40 PM

2018 E Class Coupe
Originally Posted by tresean1
Well look it at on the bright side...at least you guys get the option of E400, without having to settle with E300 or jump to E43. Guess that's what us greedy Americans get. lol
😀 Yeah i remember reading that you guys in the US were exempt from all the glory of the mighty E400's, it's a shame really as i would have thought there would be a good market for the larger engine.

I haven't even attempted to open the taps on mine yet, i'm too scared that the noise is a precursor for a bigger problem if the car is driven hard, even though the technicians at the dealership said that the noise is not in any way affecting any of the engine parts, also i always try run the car in gently anyway.

Apart from all the issues the car is absolutely beautiful, i think alot of people need to see them in the flesh as some of the photo's and videos don't do it any justice, will try get some pics up soon.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2017, 12:45 PM

2018 E Class Coupe
Yes i definitely expected a nice smooth sounding engine, so i have decided not to let the issue filter away into nothing as my big worry is MB just forgetting about it and hoping i forget about it, so i will be e-mailing the technician at the dealership every week to keep an eye on any progress and let them know i'm still here.

I also asked the dealers that if MB know about this issue then why are they still sending the cars out, the response i got was "well they kind of hope most people will either not notice it or be too bothered by it"

Crazy
Old 05-22-2017, 02:15 PM

2018 E Class Coupe
Quick pic whilst it's clean...

Old 05-22-2017, 02:25 PM

It is very pretty!
Old 05-22-2017, 02:34 PM

2018 E Class Coupe
Thanks!

The wheels are actually aftermarket, i didn't like traditional 5 spoke AMG wheels, and the 20" multi spoke they have got some sort of delay on so they were not available. The wheel company actually makes their wheels based on MB designs, and the fitter put the MB cap from my old wheels on these so they look genuine.

I have always liked seeing the Selenite and black alloy combination over the years, looks stealthy without being OTT.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Thanks!

The wheels are actually aftermarket, i didn't like traditional 5 spoke AMG wheels, and the 20" multi spoke they have got some sort of delay on so they were not available. The wheel company actually makes their wheels based on MB designs, and the fitter put the MB cap from my old wheels on these so they look genuine.

I have always liked seeing the Selenite and black alloy combination over the years, looks stealthy without being OTT.
Those wheels look great with the Selenite Grey - should be an unusual combination and it does make the car look more edgy.

I will have mine in a week or so when the lease is in place as I chose a new car the dealer had ordered for stock that was close to my spec. It does have the non-black 20" wheels with Polar White.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 PM

2018 E Class Coupe
Originally Posted by arnsbrae
Those wheels look great with the Selenite Grey - should be an unusual combination and it does make the car look more edgy.

I will have mine in a week or so when the lease is in place as I chose a new car the dealer had ordered for stock that was close to my spec. It does have the non-black 20" wheels with Polar White.
I would have had the 20" alloys but the dealer called me a few weeks after ordering saying there were problems getting them until June, so i kept the standard 19's and bought the black ones.

I also was considering going for the white and would have done if my last 2 cars were not white, i just fancied a change, however most of the promo pics and videos were of the white and it looks fantastic too!
Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400
I'm the one talking about how diesel-like the E400 is at low speeds. Bicycle clicks? Yes it's does sound like that at crawl speeds when parking in your garage for example. Like an old ticking motor.

I pulled up next to a friend walking on my side street today. He was admiring my car and then asked if it was a diesel....great....

Now, I don't feel the engine is damaged or about to break down. The sounds are healthy, just not refined and too loud with non pleasing harmonics. This again is noticeable at slow speeds under 25mph with the harmonics felt even with windows shut.

I concluded it's the characteristics of the engine. Interesting if this is a fixable "issue" Mercedes can somehow quell.

Now, having said all that it's a terrific engine and USA customers are really missing out and are forced to choose the wagon or an E43 which makes no sense.

The car has this character but I must say I love the car. It's not "that" bad. It's just unexpected and not refined as one would expect.

I test drove the car on 2 occasions. Admittedly did not pick up on it. Once was in rain, and other was my excitement driving car kind of hard. It reminds that you really do need lots of time with car to know everything.

But the car quality, drive, looks, and tech sold me.

Last edited by Mitch105; 05-22-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:55 PM

2018 E Class Coupe
Originally Posted by Mitch105
I'm the one talking about how diesel-like the E400 is at low speeds. Bicycle clicks? Yes it's does sound like that at crawl speeds when parking in your garage for example. Like an old ticking motor.

I pulled up next to a friend walking on my side street today. He was admiring my car and then asked if it was a diesel....great....

Now, I don't feel the engine is damaged or about to break down. The sounds are healthy, just not refined and too loud with non pleasing harmonics. This again is noticeable at slow speeds under 25mph with the harmonics felt even with windows shut.

I concluded it's the characteristics of the engine. Interesting if this is a fixable "issue" Mercedes can somehow quell.

Now, having said all that it's a terrific engine and USA customers are really missing out and are forced to choose the wagon or an E43 which makes no sense.

The car has this character but I must say I love the car. It's not "that" bad. It's just unexpected and not refined as one would expect.

I test drove the car on 2 occasions. Admittedly did not pick up on it. Once was in rain, and other was my excitement driving car kind of hard. It reminds that you really do need lots of time with car to know everything.

But the car quality, drive, looks, and tech sold me.
Hi Mitch, yes i just read your thread and was going to chime in, it seems then that we may have the same sounds, as mine is there when idling and at crawl speeds but more noticable accelerating between 2-3k revs mildly, doesn't matter what speed i'm doing as it is also there cruising on the highway, it almost sounds like it is coming through the speakers, it's a very zippy sound that ticks like bicycle spokes and just sounds totally out of place in the engine, as i can hear that with that sound removed the engine would sound silky smooth and nice and quiet.

Mercedes told me that the issue is coming from the turbo's wastegate, and that it is in no way affecting the engine negatively, so i'm just sitting patiently waiting for them to find a fix for it..

And yes apart from that - the E400 seems like a great engine, such a shame it's not available in the US, would like to know the line of reasoning that was given in the meetings over in Germany!
Old 05-22-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400
Hi Mitch, yes i just read your thread and was going to chime in, it seems then that we may have the same sounds, as mine is there when idling and at crawl speeds but more noticable accelerating between 2-3k revs mildly, doesn't matter what speed i'm doing as it is also there cruising on the highway, it almost sounds like it is coming through the speakers, it's a very zippy sound that ticks like bicycle spokes and just sounds totally out of place in the engine, as i can hear that with that sound removed the engine would sound silky smooth and nice and quiet.

Mercedes told me that the issue is coming from the turbo's wastegate, and that it is in no way affecting the engine negatively, so i'm just sitting patiently waiting for them to find a fix for it..

And yes apart from that - the E400 seems like a great engine, such a shame it's not available in the US, would like to know the line of reasoning that was given in the meetings over in Germany!
I'll be sure to sit up and take notice on the motorway tomorrow if I am bothered by the engine at cruise speeds or accelerating when at speed. I have not been so far, but sometimes the radio is going etc. when cruising.

You know because I came from an Audi 3.0T supercharged I figured that this is the way "this" engine sounds. Its not as silky as the Audis to be sure but it does have excellent torque and the overall feel is similar power-wise.

I'm just having fun here but my feeling is almost that Mercedes, in engineering this gas V6 perhaps found some commonality with their diesel range. These days all engines favour peak torque from almost idle speeds in sync with these multi speed transmissions. Thusly, the gas engines are not that different than diesels. Perhaps the sounds from these high speed injectors and such gear now sound similar?

But, what I want is a smooth, silky refined engine. Stays out of my way until I call on it.

Last edited by Mitch105; 05-22-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:54 PM

2018 E Class Coupe
Originally Posted by Mitch105
I'll be sure to sit up and take notice on the motorway tomorrow if I am bothered by the engine at cruise speeds or accelerating when at speed. I have not been so far, but sometimes the radio is going etc. when cruising.

You know because I came from an Audi 3.0T supercharged I figured that this is the way "this" engine sounds. Its not as silky as the Audis to be sure but it does have excellent torque and the overall feel is similar power-wise.

I'm just having fun here but my feeling is almost that Mercedes, in engineering this gas V6 perhaps found some commonality with their diesel range. These days all engines favour peak torque from almost idle speeds in sync with these multi speed transmissions. Thusly, the gas engines are not that different than diesels. Perhaps the sounds from these high speed injectors and such gear now sound similar?

But, what I want is a smooth, silky refined engine. Stays out of my way until I call on it.
Yep that's what i want too, and i don't think it's much to ask when you are paying a premium. I will see what, if anything, comes of the issue and put it here, on one hand Mercedes know of the issue and must have had enough complaints for them to be trying to develop a fix, on the other hand your theory of the early torque in each gear being reminiscent of an oil burner also holds some water, so i guess we'll see.

I would actually accept an explanation from MB that the noise is completely normal on these models and it is not affecting the engine in any way, i would forget about it and move on. The problem even in the UK where the E400's are available is that there simply is not enough demand for them, as the dealership were trying to source one from other dealerships to compare to mine to no avail.

A smooth sounding engine would really suit the car, though!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
I never noticed such engine noise when I had a W212 E400.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unhappy new E Class coupe owner