E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2017 E43 AMG Sudden Braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
If MB can't or won't repair your car, get a lawyer and get your money back under lemon law.
You can't do both.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
When you say "This happens at times when there is a low curb on a freeway onramp/exchange and is quite scary when it activates." are you physically in the process of moving from one lane to another? As you must indicate to prevent the system triggering when crossing lanes or boundaries.

This one...... "2. When driving down a 4 lane road at 35-45MPH if the lines change from thin dashes to thick dashed or thick solid (say on the right) the car will sometimes lurch to the left with the active steering assist kicking in. I am driving straight, the lines are straight." ......sounds like the system is just trying it's best. It sees you've safe space to the lane edge when the lines are thin. Then you've gone into the zone with thick lines and suddenly the system sees you're now too close to the lane edge so tries to correct. It doesn't care you're going straight or that the lane continues straight. It's just reacting to external stimuli. These visual systems also only read a few feet ahead so it doesn't know if the lane is restricting in size because there is a width restriction or obstacle in the road up ahead. It's reacting to what it sees and that operation, whilst not great for you, seems perfectly correct. Btw have you got the system set to adaptive?

your later comment on steering assist is amusung. If the car is suddenly veering out of lane it's because you're not holding the wheel whilst drive pilot is active. And you're supposed to. Because, as you see, the system is far from being infallible.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300
Originally Posted by Dashoto
I have set my Emergency Brake Assist to Medium, was set to Early. However, since the false emergency braking events are not repeatable it may be difficult to know if there's any effect taken.

I am guessing it won't and the false braking will continue. Reason I say this is even with Emergency Brake Assist set to Early, I have received warning tones that prompted me to apply the Brake manually without the cars assistance. The false events I've experienced are beep, flash, full Brake all at once for a fraction of a second. At which point the car resumes normal driving. To me these false events don't seem to be assisting my inability to react, rather it's an immediate jarring panic like maneuver of the cars safety system, only to be cleared almost as soon as its initiated.
I have my new E300 for less than 800miles. The sudden braking happened twice on a normal road without any cars at the front (I think the road is in slight descending & then ascending order). It is very scary, who knows someone might hit the car from the back one day. Did you get "Beep & flash" indication? My one happened without any sort of warning at all.

My active brake was set to medium, now I set it to Late setting. Hopefully it will never happen again. Have anyone find reduce setting improve the errors?? Thanks
Old 09-20-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
I've had only one event where the car automatically and forcibly braked for no good reason and twice where I could forgive the system (it didn't know other traffic was turning/going to be out of the way by the time I arrived so it erred on the side of caution). From memory, the weird/false activation was with early assist on. It's set to medium now. I've had perhaps 4 or 5 instances of the beeping going off for no reason but no brakes being applied since then.

I think, when set to early, the system is operating at the outer limits of its envelope. For each meter further up the road it's trying to scan, less and less of the sensor is able to detect the same object; by this I mean if the sensor has a 90 degree detection arc, something 6 feet wide close to the car occupies 50 degrees of the sensors view. Further out, it's occupying 10 degrees and that reduces the further away it gets. The system also has less time to error check and determine objects velocity and likely position at the point you'll collide with it. So, earlier you want assistance, more likely you'll get false positives.

I'd still prefer false positives to a false negative where it doesn't bother braking and you plough in to something!
Old 12-30-2017, 12:48 AM

2017 E300
My E300 has ‘emergency breaked’ on me twice this week, where the road ahead was clear and no breaking was necessary.
The first time this happened coincided with me turning the windscreen wash on - (I wonder if some water splashed momenterily in front of the stereo cameras on the windshield could have triggered something?).
The second time I didn’t have the windscreen wash turned on.
Fortunatly neither time I had a car following me closely, but this is obviosly very shocking and concerning. If a car had been following me closely there would have been a serious risk of collision.
I am taking the car in to be serviced, but dreading being told there is nothing they can do. I really hope there is a calibration procedure for the radar and ultrasonic sensors, and I hope the autonomous software is updated to address these glitches!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E43
E43 unexpected braking

The following has been filed with NHSTA on 10/1/18:
I was just driving home on a city street (9/20/18) at about 35 MPH when unexpectedly the brakes on my E43 locked up launching myself and my passenger forward against our seat belts. The anti-lock brakes engaged; I heard the rear tires "chatter". The car did not come to a complete stop; the brakes disengaged and we rolled forward. Until I realized what happened I though I hit something. There was no one in front of me, but there was someone behind and beside me. I took the car into Mercedes and they updated the software and checked the sensors and reported back that everything is working properly. Since they did not find anything specific - I feel that the car has a defect that is dangerous to the public and should be recalled until a solution can be demonstrated. The public needs to know about this. Others have reported this exact occurence. This is a defect that will result in serious injury - or worse.
The car has premium package 3 which includes the Active Brake Assist program. I suspect this was the problem. Another person reported this when crossing onto a bridge. That was my specific event also; the car dipped slightly as I went from street pavemen to bridge pavement. Please compel Mercedes to take responsible action and take steps necessary to protect the public; regardless of how rare the event may be.

Mercedes has yet to reply to my requests for corrective action for this defect in their vehicle as of 10/1/18. This is a dangerous situation that results in whiplash.

I also now have the problem where the vehicle decelerates to 60 MPH whne the cruise control is engaged.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NHSTA report filed.pdf (235.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 10-01-2018, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 415 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Wow!

Last edited by JTK44; 10-01-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
Hey...

Just turn it off...
It's the pre Collison system On mine it was like that too mostly in the freeway because of bad maps on the navigation system the car would think that it needs to break suddenly to 60 kmh because it believes to be on the road next to the freeway...once it also happened that a plastic bag flew on front of my car and it braked furiously .. I turned it off .. End of the story is that I gave the car back they actually finally took it back and I got a glc Coupé They screwed me for thousands of dollars but I was fed up of the car being in the shop 18 times.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Just turn it off .. it is just a computer. We will laugh about its capabilities in 10 years.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
Agree that these systems are a work in progress. To all who have experienced sudden braking on a non threatening situation is very scary. You can turn it off manually, however everytime you turn on the car it defaults back to the on position. It should stay off until you reset it. I agree it can be a nice safety feature in certain situations, however it can also be risky. What will Mercedes position or legal implications be when your brakes falsely engage and you get rear-ended.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 PM

2017 E 300 W213
I had it happened once on an empty road once, there was some pretty strong wind though. I drive a 2017 E300, but i think we have the same system
Old 02-21-2019, 08:14 AM

E43
Follow-up to the E43 report logged by ThadCV

Originally Posted by ThadCV
The following has been filed with NHSTA on 10/1/18:
I was just driving home on a city street (9/20/18) at about 35 MPH when unexpectedly the brakes on my E43 locked up launching myself and my passenger forward against our seat belts. The anti-lock brakes engaged; I heard the rear tires "chatter". The car did not come to a complete stop; the brakes disengaged and we rolled forward. Until I realized what happened I though I hit something. There was no one in front of me, but there was someone behind and beside me. I took the car into Mercedes and they updated the software and checked the sensors and reported back that everything is working properly. Since they did not find anything specific - I feel that the car has a defect that is dangerous to the public and should be recalled until a solution can be demonstrated. The public needs to know about this. Others have reported this exact occurrence. This is a defect that will result in serious injury - or worse.
The car has premium package 3 which includes the Active Brake Assist program. I suspect this was the problem. Another person reported this when crossing onto a bridge. That was my specific event also; the car dipped slightly as I went from street pavement to bridge pavement. Please compel Mercedes to take responsible action and take steps necessary to protect the public; regardless of how rare the event may be.

Mercedes has yet to reply to my requests for corrective action for this defect in their vehicle as of 10/1/18. This is a dangerous situation that results in whiplash.

I also now have the problem where the vehicle decelerates to 60 MPH when the cruise control is engaged.
2/21/19 UPDATE: I received a letter from MB dated 2/13/19 stating that after a thorough investigation of this matter, "the vehicle's Active Brake System (ABA) is operating as designed". On 11/12/18 I traded this car in for another vehicle (not MB). I took the responsible action to protect myself and my passengers since MB was not capable of delivering a cause and subsequent repair of their own vehicle's serious defect. The letter went on to say "that there is no basis for any claim against MBUSA". They are more concerned with litigation than manufacturing and servicing a vehicle that is safe for their customers. I was fully expecting that MB would want to get this vehicle off the road and at the very least remove the portion of the software that caused this incident. Instead they sent me the attached letter that somehow made the issue mine by saying that ABA "is an assist system that is intended to aid but not replace the driver". At no time was I in control of the vehicle when it decided to do a 4 wheel lockup. For these reasons I will never return to the brand.
Attached Files
MB letter_20190219.pdf (412.1 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:04 PM

AMG E63S
We just took our 2018 E63S wagon into the dealer. Twice it has suddenly braked from about 45mph to almost a complete stop. Both times with nothing in front of the car. Not changing lanes (we keep the lane assist off), no metal plates, ... the car had nothing but a clear lane. The second time we were lucky to not be rear ended by a following car. Dealer said they can’t figure it out, so they have to get MBUSA involved. They are saying they will probably need the car for a couple weeks. Hopefully the loaner car doesn’t have the same emergency braking system - this is ridiculous.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:49 PM

E43
Follow-up to the E43 report logged by ThadCV

Incredible! How many need to get injured before Mercedes does the right thing?!?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
e400 wagon
Originally Posted by windmills1
We just took our 2018 E63S wagon into the dealer. Twice it has suddenly braked from about 45mph to almost a complete stop. Both times with nothing in front of the car. Not changing lanes (we keep the lane assist off), no metal plates, ... the car had nothing but a clear lane. The second time we were lucky to not be rear ended by a following car. Dealer said they can’t figure it out, so they have to get MBUSA involved. They are saying they will probably need the car for a couple weeks. Hopefully the loaner car doesn’t have the same emergency braking system - this is ridiculous.

See my thread ... getting MBUSA involved has been of no help.

Clearly there is some kind of defect here. Sadly it seems like MBUSA is waiting for someone to get seriously injured by this system before they will take any action other than sending concerned customers "operating as designed" letters.

Maybe someone from the media will stumble onto these threads and can help light a fire under MBUSA to do the right thing.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Hopefully you are all filing with nhtsa, they do take notice. They have contacted me before and will take appropriate measure.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Looks like Mercedes isnt the only one with this problem, Tesla on Autopilot aka assisted cruise control, is doing break checks. But not while its off like mercedes

twitter. com /maddox/status/1110751715085701121
Old 08-18-2019, 04:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 E300 Sport
Latest Emergency Braking Victim in an 2017 E300 (w/P3 pkg)

Today I was driving about 36 mph on a four-lane road a few blocks from home that I have driven countless times. There were two quick beeps immediately followed by the brakes being slammed on very hard for half second. I was catapulted forward against my seatbelt until the brakes released a moment later. It gave me a really good scare. My car has never done that before. I've heard the two beeps of the collision warning occasionally if someone in front of me is making a right turn and a little slow to completely clear the lane. That happens maybe once a month. But there is never any braking. I keep the lane keeping feature turned OFF because I was getting too many false corrections from that system which involved moderate braking and shoving the car slightly left or right. But never anything like this. I'm very fortunate no one was close behind me. Now I don't trust my own car.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:36 PM

E43
Same event I experienced. I can understand that MB is having problems with the technology; but what I cannot understand is why they refuse to recognize they have (a rare) but serious issue with the automated emergency braking. I loved everything about my E43, expect that issue. I can't have a car that is unsafe so I had to dispose of it. I took a big hit - but I now have a BMW M550i and I am very happy with it. I was shocked at Mercedes poor response - sending me a letter saying that the car was safe - but that I am responsible for the control of my vehicle. I'll never buy another.

I have advised NHTSA of this issue and they have been in contact with me as they do their investigation. I expect MB will be forced into a recall - hopefully before an injury occurs.

Feel free to file your report as well. You may save someone's life. Here is a contact there:

kareem.habib@dot.gov
Kareem Habib
Federal Investigator
United States Department of Transportation-NHTSA
1200 New Jersey Ave, SE

Washington DC, 20590

Link to website to file a report:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
The following users liked this post:
Sunrose305 (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
I had a similar experience with my '18 E300. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA last March. I've not received any material response, but I regularly get an email with more questions from Mr. Habib.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:58 PM

e400 wagon
Same event I experienced. I can understand that MB is having problems with the technology; but what I cannot understand is why they refuse to recognize they have (a rare) but serious issue with the automated emergency braking.

kareem.habib@dot.gov
Kareem Habib
Federal Investigator
United States Department of Transportation-NHTSA
1200 New Jersey Ave, SE

Washington DC, 20590

Link to website to file a report:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

At what point does this become a potential Class Action suit? Knowing a very small percentage of E-Class owners are active here - and yet even just here we have several people experiencing these issues. How many dozens more are out there dealing with this, but not on these forusm?

MBUSA is forcing its customers into a very difficult situation. Either we live with, and continue to operate the vehicle despite, these serious and unrepairable safety issues, or we take a major financial hit to move out of them (particularly if you are leasing). The disregard for these issues from MBUSA is really shocking.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:05 PM

E43
The cost of litigation is far greater than the value of the vehicle. MB knows of the problem - I told them in writing. I am sure they are scrambling for a software fix rather than a embarrassing recall. That is why I am letting NHTSA do the research and hopefully protect the public.

I have taken my hit. Perhaps I can recover it in a future class action suit. For now I am safe in my new car - that's the important thing.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:11 PM

e400 wagon
MB knows of the problem - I told them in writing.
So here's where this gets interesting. I have been told by MBUSA that my case is "the only case in the country" with this issue. How can that possibly be true?

Maybe they mean the only wagon? Or the only green wagon???
Old 08-19-2019, 01:19 PM

E43
Offer them the attached documentation. Perhaps it will aid their memory.

NHTSA has this as well.
Attached Files
MB letter 190213.pdf (412.1 KB, 62 views)
Mercedes service report.pdf (1.20 MB, 136 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 PM

e400 wagon
Wow - super helpful thank you. Feel free to delete them now if you don't want your info out there publicly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2017 E43 AMG Sudden Braking